High scorers, what do you do when you don't immediately get the right answer? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawSchoolNJ2018

New

High scorers, what do you do when you don't immediately get the right answer?

Post by LawSchoolNJ2018 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm stuck at the 170/171 range, and I realized that one of my biggest problems right now is that I don't have a methodology to get the most difficult questions right. Normally I'm stuck between two answer choices and I just read them over and over again hoping for something to click. I'm starting to realize this isn't the right way, so I'm wondering if someone has any specific way they use to combat the feeling of being stuck on a question. Thanks.

Dcc617

Gold

Re: High scorers, what do you do when you don't immediately get the right answer?

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:41 pm

I would just skip and come back. Most of the time I had plenty of extra time at the end and often when I came back the answer seemed much clearer.

conker

Bronze

Re: High scorers, what do you do when you don't immediately get the right answer?

Post by conker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:07 pm

LawSchoolNJ2018 wrote:I'm stuck at the 170/171 range, and I realized that one of my biggest problems right now is that I don't have a methodology to get the most difficult questions right. Normally I'm stuck between two answer choices and I just read them over and over again hoping for something to click. I'm starting to realize this isn't the right way, so I'm wondering if someone has any specific way they use to combat the feeling of being stuck on a question. Thanks.
Hmm, in the moment? No. I only know of a preventative approach to this problem through review.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Dcc617 wrote:I would just skip and come back. Most of the time I had plenty of extra time at the end and often when I came back the answer seemed much clearer.
+1

If you're scoring 170+, that means you know how to answer all the questions. If you get tripped up, you're probably psyching yourself out. If it's diagramming a logic game, move to the next game and come back (I actually think this happened to me on my official exam - after 15 seconds I skipped it, came back after the rest of the games and had no trouble). If it's a single LG question, come back at the end of the questions for that game. RC, come back at the end of the passage's questions. And for LR, come back at the end of the whole section. That always helped me, anyway.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:54 pm

I was finding that the answer, more often than not, was in some mistake I'd made processing the stimulus (in LR Questions). I typically had enough time to go back and give it another thorough read and figure it out. Granted, I was only doing this once or twice per section but if you're 170+ you're probably in the same boat. RC too, the more I went back into the passage the better I did. "Read the passage just once thoroughly, go back in the passage liberally if I had questions" was a strat that got me into mid 170s. LG I only ever skipped a rule substitution question and even that rarely. I went in to the actual test knowing that if I wasn't pretty confident I had gone -0 on LG that I was cancelling and trying again the next time.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 pm

+180 to skipping and coming back, if you aren't already doing that of course.

It's amazing to me sometimes when I get stuck on a question, skip it, and come back and immediately find the right answer. Don't really know why this happens, but I guess its the the product of seeing the question for a second time with a clear mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”