What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT as an incoming sophomore?

change12

What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT as an incoming sophomore?

Postby change12 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello!

I am entering my first year in college, but due to AP/IB I will be entering as a sophomore with thirty credits. I want to start preparing for the LSAT, as my ultimate ambition is to make it to Uchicago/Duke/T14 law school. What would be the best way to start preparing now?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alexandros

Re: What is the best way to prepare for the LSAT as an incoming sophomore?

Postby Alexandros » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:58 pm

change12 wrote:Hello!

I am entering my first year in college, but due to AP/IB I will be entering as a sophomore with thirty credits. I want to start preparing for the LSAT, as my ultimate ambition is to make it to Uchicago/Duke/T14 law school. What would be the best way to start preparing now?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The best thing you can do is whatever it takes to get as high a GPA as possible. You can always take a summer or year to study for the LSAT after college. You can never undo any damage to your GPA. The higher your GPA, the more options you will have, even without an elite LSAT. If you do get an elite LSAT, you could get $$$ at a T14 with a 3.8+ GPA

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Alexandros wrote:Don't worry about it now.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:Don't worry about it now. Wait until Senior year at the earliest - Better yet, finish UG, work for a year or so, evaluate whether you still want law school, and then start studying.

There are really no benefits to studying it or taking it earlier than you have to.

rowdy wrote:The best thing you can do is whatever it takes to get as high a GPA as possible. You can always take a summer or year to study for the LSAT after college. You can never undo any damage to your GPA. The higher your GPA, the more options you will have, even without an elite LSAT. If you do get an elite LSAT, you could get $$$ at a T14 with a 3.8+ GPA

+180

carsondalywashere

Postby carsondalywashere » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Probably going to a kegger

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 pm

The best way to prepare for law school is to get the highest GPA that you can. Shoot for a 4.0 — which, assuming you're a liberal arts major, is easily within reach at most schools. If you're hell bent on trying to prep for the LSAT as a sophomore, the best thing that you can do is take classes that involve reading challenging material.

People will tell you many things about setting yourself up for the LSAT. Some will say that you should be a philosophy major because philosophy teaches logic and the LSAT is a logic test. Others will say that you should be a math major because math majors tend to do have the highest average LSAT score by major. You might be told that you should avoid the liberal arts because "law schools like variety." And perhaps you'll even have the unique pleasure of being told by some especially clueless person that you should major in "pre-law" or criminology. None of these things are true. (You can take a logic class even if you aren't majoring in philosophy; the math thing is correlation rather than causation; liberal arts are great; and pre-law/criminology is the worst major that you could pick for any number of reasons.)

If you really want to do yourself a favor, do this: read complicated things. Here's why. The LSAT is a three-section test. The first two sections (logic games and logical reasoning) are fairly easy to learn on their own. They test a unique skill — deductive reasoning — that most intelligent people can get the hang of with focused practice. The third section is called reading comprehension, and it is a different animal. It also tests deductive reasoning, but unlike the first two sections, the reading comprehension section obfuscates the necessary information behind technical jargon and difficult syntax.

Deciphering that kind of text is more of a habit than a skill. So if you want to help yourself out, take classes that challenge your attention span and focus while reading. I studied for the LSAT for 5 months. I went from missing more than half of the logic games questions to consistently answering. My reading comprehension scores stayed flat. I also taught for an LSAT-prep company for a few years. I saw lots of people go from -15 on games to -3 or -4. But I never saw anyone meaningfully improve their reading comprehension scores. It can be done (and some on this board have done it), but it takes a lot more time to get better at reading than it does to get perfect at logic games and logical reasoning.

So if you want to help yourself out, take some classes that require you to read difficult material (this will also help you in the long run, even if you don't do law school).

CottonHarvest

Postby CottonHarvest » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Probably going to a kegger

I think I'll score a 181 if this is true.

BulletTooth

Postby BulletTooth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:48 pm

I took a logic class in college and found that it helped a bit when I started to study for the LSAT. Obviously, targeted study of what is tested on the LSAT is the best way to prepare, but if for your junior or senior year, you're looking for a class to take that piggybacks well with LSAT prep, logic could help.

Other than that, just focus on your grades as others have said above. Good luck!

DaydreamNation

Postby DaydreamNation » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Transfer to a school that gives an A+ grade and get lots of them and don't think about the LSAT for another two years

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Work hard for a 4.0. Maybe some kick-ass extracurricular. Make good connections with profs for good LORs down the line.

I would also recommend maybe taking some intro to logic classes. I was a philosophy minor and it didn't help with much of the actual logic on the LSAT, but it certainly did help with the deciphering and reading of dense material you'll find on the LSAT.

I would usually not tell someone to not prep early for the test, but GPA right now is what almost all your focus should be on. You can worry about the LSAT latter. That's the advice I got when I asked a couple years back and I don't regret it one bit.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:Transfer to a school that gives an A+ grade and get lots of them and don't think about the LSAT for another two years

TCR right here

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:48 pm

rowdy wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:Transfer to a school that gives an A+ grade and get lots of them and don't think about the LSAT for another two years

TCR right here

I saw a list of these a few years back, and there weren't very many "good" schools on it. Lots of bad schools give an A+. I think I remember seeing that I think Georgia does? That could be a good option depending on your geography. But if OP is at any of a given state's top schools then it's not actually a good idea to transfer just for the A+. Just get a 4.0. Schools that give A+ are a better call for people who have bad GPAs from bad or middling colleges.

But for posterity, does anyone have a list of colleges/universities that give an A+/4.33?

DaydreamNation

Postby DaydreamNation » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
rowdy wrote:

TCR right here

I saw a list of these a few years back, and there weren't very many "good" schools on it. Lots of bad schools give an A+. I think I remember seeing that I think Georgia does? That could be a good option depending on your geography. But if OP is at any of a given state's top schools then it's not actually a good idea to transfer just for the A+. Just get a 4.0. Schools that give A+ are a better call for people who have bad GPAs from bad or middling colleges.

But for posterity, does anyone have a list of colleges/universities that give an A+/4.33?
This is purely anecdotal obv but I have been a full-time student at two undergraduate institutions. One of them has a USNWR ranking of ~150 and gives an A+ grade. The other one is USNWR T20 and absolutely does not.

I'm an extreme splitter so the three A+'s I do have on my transcript I am very grateful for

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:12 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
rowdy wrote:

TCR right here

This is purely anecdotal obv but I have been a full-time student at two undergraduate institutions. One of them has a USNWR ranking of ~150 and gives an A+ grade. The other one is USNWR T20 and absolutely does not.

I'm an extreme splitter so the three A+'s I do have on my transcript I am very grateful for

Yeah I was a splitter too, though not horribly. I live in a big state and I couldn't find any schools in my state that gave A+. I thought about taking a few distance classes from a community college in Maine, but that seemed too transparent (not that schools care, I guess). And they were charging like $1,000+/credit hour for out-of-state enrollees.

Legit idea for ITT Tech or Infilaw would be to offer a special "pre-law" certificate of like 15 hours or so in which they awarded an A+ 99% of students that completed the class. You could even "step it up" cost-wise so that like the 15-hour certificate cost $300/credit hour and the 30-hour "deluxe certificate" cost $450/hour. Does anyone here own a university?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”