Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

MovingUnits
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Skool wrote:"Freshman year when I decided on law school" sounds almost like, when I was 18 or 19 and decided this woman was the love of my life.

MovingUnits wrote:I'm actually sorry I made this thread and had to defend myself for wanting to go to the best schools I could get into, for good reasons, and connect with others that share a similar background.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to go to the best schools you can get into. That's not the issue.

The issue is whether or not you have good reasons for wanting to go. Again, you've presented the fact that you've decided to go to law school after one year of college. Again, that justifiably gives many of us pause. And then, your interest in law school is predicated on the part of the legal profession that is the most removed from the job that most law graduates, even Yalies, end up getting in the legal profession: being a lawyer.

No one has more information about you then you. And you're telling us that you decided to dedicate your professional life to what is, as you know, one of the most difficult to attain legal jobs. And you made that decision as a 19 year old with one year of college. To those of us who don't know you, it sounds like a bit of a red flag. And trying to network with HYS students SPECIFICALLY when you haven't even taken the LSAT is slightly weird too. It's not like they have some sort of knowledge you need at the stage you're at that other students/grads can't offer you.

But maybe you're really the special snowflake who has things figured out since freshman year and I'm just getting it completely wrong. In my defense, if your goal of legal academia really is well-considered given the sequence of events you described, you really would be an unusual case.

If I were you, though, the real question I would be asking myself is not "what's the BLSA at HLS like," it's what's my plan B if I don't become a law professor? Would I be happy just being a work-a-day lawyer (or some other kind of academic)? Am I comfortable enough with my plan B that it's still worth it for me to spend the time and money applying to law school? Have I seen enough of the legal profession to know that I want to be a law professor and not, say, a death penalty lawyer (which isn't necessarily mutually exculsive).

But I don't know you.


Thanks -- I have asked myself all those important questions. But those are questions I can ask myself. What the BLSA is at HYS are things I cannot. My plan A certainly isn't becoming a law professor. However, it is to attend a top school and find employment of some type as an attorney. I am certainly not opposed to big law, clerkships, or even being a public defender. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what type of law I'll like the most. I'm still really interested in legal academia and for now, that's what I would like to work toward. Aside from getting into a top school, there's not much else I can do right now at this point. That might change or likely never become a reality. If so, my HYS or T13 degree will hopefully ensure I can find some employment.

Thanks for the insight though. Also, I didn't make the decision as a 19-year-old in college either. Again, just conjecture and because I want to have a fucking goal and go for it I' must be a special snowflake. It just seems no matter what I write at this point someone's going to find some fucking issue with it. I've given up here and don't give a damn anymore about it.

Mods can we please lock the thread. It's useless and a few helpful people have PM'd me already.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1035
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Skool » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm

movingunits wrote:Also, I didn't make the decision as a 19-year-old in college either.


movingunits wrote:I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year.


movingunits wrote:Down thread a bit I also revealed that my reasoning for being HYS or bust was largely due to the fact I am interested in Academia.


Maybe there's some subtlety I'm missing. Maybe you were an old freshman? Or maybe you make a distinction between being HYS or bust and merely wanting to attend HYS.

MovingUnits
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Skool wrote:
movingunits wrote:Also, I didn't make the decision as a 19-year-old in college either.


movingunits wrote:I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year.


movingunits wrote:Down thread a bit I also revealed that my reasoning for being HYS or bust was largely due to the fact I am interested in Academia.


Maybe there's some subtlety I'm missing. Maybe you were an old freshman? Or maybe you make a distinction between being HYS or bust and merely wanting to attend HYS.



All correct! Essentially, I knew I wanted to go to law school during freshman year. It was during 2011 and the legal market was shit and everyone under the sun told me to go to the highest ranked schools. It wasn't at this point I became immediately HYS or bust. I think I was more T14 or bust at that point. Then after some more work experience and learning more about the different opportunities a school like HYS would afford me, I decided that I was going to aim for those schools. I ended up graduating with a great GPA, great softs, and I think a great shot at attending one of these wonderful schools. I'd be fine being a big lawyer and making some money. I'd be interested in seeing what else is out there. However, as of right now, my dream career would be to be a law professor and publish. I know that's such a rare gig to land so going to HYS helps to ensure if I don't hopefully I can find something else. I think going to a school like that may give me more options to pursue some of the other things I'd like to do.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

ITT: OP reverse-trolling by responding in good faith to willful dullards.

MovingUnits
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Pneumonia wrote:ITT: OP reverse-trolling by responding in good faith to willful dullards.



I'm the idiot for thinking on a website named Top Law Schools you'd be called a prestige whore for wanting to attend a top school.

Phil Brooks
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 pm

MovingUnits wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:ITT: OP reverse-trolling by responding in good faith to willful dullards.



I'm the idiot for thinking on a website named Top Law Schools you'd be called a prestige whore for wanting to attend a top school.


You still don't get it. The issue is not your goals. The issue is your reasoning (which it took several posts to elucidate) and your air of superiority: you came onto this website and all but said that you wouldn't debase yourself attending any school other than three schools "better" than the ones most people attend.

Good luck.

MovingUnits
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:ITT: OP reverse-trolling by responding in good faith to willful dullards.



I'm the idiot for thinking on a website named Top Law Schools you'd be called a prestige whore for wanting to attend a top school.


You still don't get it. The issue is not your goals. The issue is your reasoning (which it took several posts to elucidate) and your air of superiority: you came onto this website and all but said that you wouldn't debase yourself attending any school other than three schools "better" than the ones most people attend.

Good luck.



LOL ... Where did I say I wouldn't "debase" myself to attending any other than the three "better" than most schools. Also, I shouldn't have to fucking explain shit to anyone when asking a question except the necessary information. Some of you posters are seriously ridiculous and certainly extrapolate quite a bit too much from too little. If you go back and re-read my OP I was just someone looking to ask AA URMS (like myself) who attend HYS some questions. Mainly about prep, admissions, and their experiences so far. Somehow I needed to then justify that the reason I was pretty set on these schools were my lofty goals of becoming a law prof. This then became the main topic to which everyone -- with the exception of a few helpful posters -- felt the need to weigh in on and begin what was essentially a thread of me having to argue and defend every fucking thing I said.

I just was looking to connect with some URMs from the schools I would like to attend. I don't owe anyone a god damn explanation as to why those schools, my career goals, or anything else. You'd think if you ask a simple question: URMS who attend HYS can I please ask you some questions? wouldn't be such a long drawn out fucking discussion. Are you people just bored? No matter how much I explain I am terribly sorry for my elitism and the part where I said any school below HYS was beneath me. Yeah, I'm HYS or bust. If anyone doesn't like it they can suck it. I have other reasons for wanting to attend these schools but I'm not going to write another page long explanation for some shit head to surmise or extrapolate a bunch of bullshit from.

This website really has gone to hell. I've been a part-time lurker since like 2013ish and it seems like every thread ends up with inside jokes not many people get and just trolls. It's nearly impossible to just ask a simple question without a smart-ass answer or someone being a dick.

My air of superiority LMAO. Yes, lmao. By wanting info on the only schools that will give me a good shot at my goal. How dare I? 100 more floggings.

Seriously this website, aside from maybe <20% of regular on-topic posters, really seem like a bunch of worthless assholes that just comment on threads where they have nothing to contribute except being a dick.

I just am ashamed at myself that I even posted this. I thought I was on 7Sage or a forum where people answer your questions and are helpful.

User avatar
freekick
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby freekick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

MovingUnits wrote: I just am ashamed at myself that I even posted this. I thought I was on 7Sage or a forum where people answer your questions and are helpful.


OP: Totally understand how you feel, and sorry about that. On the bright side, you could take some lessons out of what you've been grappling with ITT. Simply ignoring people you think are not likely to help could be one.

All the best with the LSAT. Hope you get your target score.

MovingUnits
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

freekick wrote:
MovingUnits wrote: I just am ashamed at myself that I even posted this. I thought I was on 7Sage or a forum where people answer your questions and are helpful.


OP: Totally understand how you feel, and sorry about that. On the bright side, you could take some lessons out of what you've been grappling with ITT. Simply ignoring people you think are not likely to help could be one.

All the best with the LSAT. Hope you get your target score.


Thanks, Freekick. all the best to you as well. I think the silver lining is definitely what I learned from this thread. Back to lurking for me....lol

User avatar
ltowns1
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby ltowns1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:Yeah, I get it Moving Units. I've often tried to get some similar information and have trouble finding people who share our similar backgrounds. TLS is largely useless when you ask anything 9/10 because it's full of argumentative assholes who would rather argue than be helpful. Comes with the territory.


Truth if I ever heard it. They have nothin better to do.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm

There are a lot of argumentative assholes here, but I'd ask people to think carefully about the content, if you can get past the tone of the messages. Often there's useful information that's presented in an abrasive way (for a whole bunch of reasons, good and bad). Don't let the tone cause you to throw out anything useful.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm

ltowns1 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:Yeah, I get it Moving Units. I've often tried to get some similar information and have trouble finding people who share our similar backgrounds. TLS is largely useless when you ask anything 9/10 because it's full of argumentative assholes who would rather argue than be helpful. Comes with the territory.


Truth if I ever heard it. They have nothin better to do.



Sad, but true. It wasn't always like that either from what I remember...

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:There are a lot of argumentative assholes here, but I'd ask people to think carefully about the content, if you can get past the tone of the messages. Often there's useful information that's presented in an abrasive way (for a whole bunch of reasons, good and bad). Don't let the tone cause you to throw out anything useful.



Agreed. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

FWIW, I just ignore the assholes. For instance, op, if you want to go to HYS to become a law prof, aim to go there. Don't let the same people call you arrogant for wanting to go to the top schools because they'd be the first ones to post how imprudent it would be to consider other schools.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], laker and 5 guests