Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
zkyggi wrote:I'm AA (also poor neighborhood) as well, and my advice is to approach the LSAT odd differently than you have done here. Read the guides on this site, and poke around for the info you need. The LSAT is standard, and you should do your networking aside from the LSAT prep portion of your application process.

We don't do anything different because we aren't different when it comes to the LSAT. Treating it any other way is getting off on the wrong start imo. Get that 180



I understand that there isn't necessarily going to be a "URM guide to the LSAT" but I am interested in connecting and talking with current HYS or even CCN AA URM students to just pick their brains and talk about how they prepped and how their cycles went. Essentially, just looking to be social and talk to more people like me.

Thanks for your comment


Lol dude, chill with the prestige-whoring. For 99% of people attending HYS and CCN, the only difference between the two groups is that CCN offer merit scholarships.


I get that and it isn't even a prestige whoring thing because I am pretty set on HYS or bust, possibly Columbia, NYU w/$$$, and would like to talk to students that share a similar background with me, who attend the schools I would like to attend. JFC. Everyone's got something to say but can't offer any help besides unhelpful comments.

If you're not an AA URM from HYS or CCN and have nothing of value to add, then just don't bother commenting on the thread. Seems like a simple enough concept.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby runinthefront » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm

In many cases, the only difference between AA URMs at HYS and those who attended other law schools were UGPAs, which has nothing to do with LSAT prep. OP could've simply asked about AAs who've scored 165+ on the LSAT.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

zkyggi wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:I'm sorry you seem to be having such a hard time understanding this. I am not just looking to network. I am interested in speaking with AA URMS who have been accepted to HYS. I'd like to converse with them about their prep methods, backgrounds, and several other things. I'm looking to speak to people who have similar experiences to mine and hopefully learn from them.

I've seen other threads similar to this posted in the other subs and they had little success. So I'm hoping to get this one off the ground and gather a group of HYS URMS who are willing to share their experiences whether it be prep methods, apps, or simply some solid advice.

That's all. If you can't understand that, then don;t bother contributing to this thread because you've contributed nothing useful.


I am not having a hard time understanding at all. I completely understand, and also know that these posts often have little success. My question is: why are you doing something that you know has not worked in the past?

How have I contributed nothing useful when it looks like I am the only one on this thread who gave you advice on how to do what you are trying to do (which is not even evident from the title)?

AA URMs, just like past applicants more generally, are not sitting around the LSAT sub like current applicants might. I am not saying that the goal of this post is stupid, only that it is done poorly and, because of that, unlikely to be successful. Last year there were some URMs that had incredible cycles, but I have not seen them on this sub, and it makes sense why. If I got into HYS, I don't think I would spend my time thinking about the LSAT. Why not check out the C/O threads and the URM cycle threads so you can find the people you are looking for?

I am AA myself, and I know the value of AA-specific admissions info as well as the fact that it is hard to find. I have found the URM community here very helpful when I have had questions. it just takes doing your homework to see who to reach out to. Even people who didn't get HYS are incredibly helpful as many vastly outperform their numbers. Why they would be in the LSAT sub after that, I have no clue.

As to the LSAT portion:

I studied using mostly prep tests, intense review and online explanations. It paid off well. I had a bad day on test day and am retaking, but I would reccomend my method to anybody that starts with a diagnostic > 155 or so. Below that and I would reccomend using some of the books (either The Trainer or Powerscore) to nail down the concepts first.



Mea culpa. As I said, I could have worded it better. I've said that now 10x can we move past it.

As to why I am doing something that hasn't worked in the past: Because I'm hoping it eventually will.

Apologies for being harsh, I do appreciate your comments. I did message some people from last years C/O and got one response which so far has been pretty helpful. However, I'm definitely looking for different perspectives and a bit more info.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 pm

runinthefront wrote:In many cases, the only difference between AA URMs at HYS and those who attended other law schools were UGPAs, which has nothing to do with LSAT prep. OP could've simply asked about AAs who've scored 165+ on the LSAT.


Sure, I could have asked that. But then it occurred to me that it's my thread and I'm interested in AA URMS who have been accepted or are attending HYS because those are my top choices.

Asking about AA's who scored above a 165 would not be anywhere near the same as asking for those AA URMS who have been accepted to HYS. I get 165+ is the magic number with a high GPA, say a 3.8, but again, just interested in what I asked. If a 3.9x and 165 gets me into HYS sign me up!


Thanks for your input.
Last edited by MovingUnits on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
zkyggi wrote:I'm AA (also poor neighborhood) as well, and my advice is to approach the LSAT odd differently than you have done here. Read the guides on this site, and poke around for the info you need. The LSAT is standard, and you should do your networking aside from the LSAT prep portion of your application process.

We don't do anything different because we aren't different when it comes to the LSAT. Treating it any other way is getting off on the wrong start imo. Get that 180



I understand that there isn't necessarily going to be a "URM guide to the LSAT" but I am interested in connecting and talking with current HYS or even CCN AA URM students to just pick their brains and talk about how they prepped and how their cycles went. Essentially, just looking to be social and talk to more people like me.

Thanks for your comment


Lol dude, chill with the prestige-whoring. For 99% of people attending HYS and CCN, the only difference between the two groups is that CCN offer merit scholarships.


Def did a little eye roll when I read that too lol.


I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. I worked hard for the GPA, softs, and LORs. Roll your eyes all you want because I want to talk to people about going to the only schools I am interested in. You can't fucking win on this site. God forbid you'd want to connect with like-minded people or learn about the schools you're interested in from people who may share a similar experience. I mentioned in CCN because I'd consider Columbia or NYU with $$$ / full ride.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:02 pm

MovingUnits wrote:
I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. I worked hard for the GPA, softs, and LORs. Roll your eyes all you want because I want to talk to people about going to the only schools I am interested in. You can't fucking win on this site. God forbid you'd want to connect with like-minded people or learn about the schools you're interested in from people who may share a similar experience. I mentioned in CCN because I'd consider Columbia or NYU with $$$ / full ride.


That's fine, but I'm sure you can see how your phrasing made it seem like CCN was beneath you.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:05 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. I worked hard for the GPA, softs, and LORs. Roll your eyes all you want because I want to talk to people about going to the only schools I am interested in. You can't fucking win on this site. God forbid you'd want to connect with like-minded people or learn about the schools you're interested in from people who may share a similar experience. I mentioned in CCN because I'd consider Columbia or NYU with $$$ / full ride.


That's fine, but I'm sure you can see how your phrasing made it seem like CCN was beneath you.


No, it was more out of desperation just to get someone from a top school I'd like to attend to talk to. I can see how it read like that, so, again, my apologies.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Dude, it's hard but honestly, you know where I've gotten some luck? It may be a little unorthodox, but I found some black HLS students on Instagram and messaged them. I think originally from the H BLSA insta.

They all responded and were very kind. I simply explained my situation and they all were responsive and happy to help. I didn't want to impose by asking a million questions, but it seemed to me they agreed 165-168 seems to be the magic numbers, and that the community at H (BLSA) is pretty closely knit. This was a big concern of mine. Overall, they were all very nice, and I still keep in touch with a few of them.

As far as prep went, they used everything from Powerscore Bibles, Manhattan LSAT, to Testmasters. One of the dudes I spoke to scored a 177 and said he used 7Sage + Manhattan LR + Cambridge packets. Seemed like a pretty standard prep. So no major differences. I did notice that a lot of them didn't tend to study for very long. It is probably because they are just smarter, to begin with, but most seemed to have studied for between 4-8 months. One girl said she retook a 159 and got a 164 and was admitted after being WL'd.

You could always try that approach. TLS is a graveyard for topics like this. You can't win or ask the right question without a bunch of irrelevant comments and people finding something wrong with everything you say. I learned that a long time ago. You could have worded the OP better, I admit that much, but I get what you meant.

I wish you luck and let me know if you find any other useful info. It'd be nice to have some AA URM mentors for us black OLs. :D

I come from a rough neighborhood myself. Drug addicted single parent, homeless for a time, gang related bad shit. If you ever want to chat about that stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM dude. I'm not an H grad but I certainly hope to be one day soon.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Skool » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:54 pm

So I just skimmed this page. Honestly OP. You sound kind of annoying. Few people worth talking to want to mentor random cocky law school applicants who seem to lack grace and humility. Day to day, between school and summer jobs, there are enough pains in the ass in the profession to deal with as it is.

Here's a networking tip. Be humble. Be open to people who are on different career paths. Listen with an open mind. Don't try to use people as a mere means to an end. You'll find that people will want to help you a lot more.

Also think about why you want to join the profession. Think about what you want to get out of it. If it's just having HYS OR EVEN CCN (WITH $$$) next to your name, reevaluate. I mean honestly, if Penn gives you a full-ride, you wouldn't go? What? If that's your value system, you need to reevaluate.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks O'Drama! I will try that out.

I think you also helped me on 7Sage as well :wink:

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Skool wrote:So I just skimmed this page. Honestly OP. You sound kind of annoying. Few people worth talking to want to mentor random cocky law school applicants who seem to lack grace and humility. Day to day, between school and summer jobs, there are enough pains in the ass in the profession to deal with as it is.

Here's a networking tip. Be humble. Be open to people who are on different career paths. Listen with an open mind. Don't try to use people as a mere means to an end. You'll find that people will want to help you a lot more.

Also think about why you want to join the profession. Think about what you want to get out of it. If it's just having HYS OR EVEN CCN (WITH $$$) next to your name, reevaluate. I mean honestly, if Penn gives you a full-ride, you wouldn't go? What? If that's your value system, you need to reevaluate.


Nowhere was I cocky in my post. I'm sorry it's annoying that I'm interested in academia and those were the same schools I was told to aim for if that was the career I wanted. I know, now it will be something along the lines of "those are unicorn jobs; don't go to law school for that...." Whatfuckingever, dude. You can't even ask questions on here anymore without people finding a problem with everything. All these comments, and aside from O'Drama and another few helpful posters, most are giving advice and answering questions for which I didn't ask.

Nothing is cocky or not humble about wanting to reach out to the AA community at the top schools of my choice. See what they used to prep ask about BLSA at their school and just chat. I'm not using them; I'm genuinely interested in getting to know some of them. If Penn gave me a full-ride, whether or not I would go isn't the question.

I'm so sorry to have annoyed you! How cocky of me, with such lack of grace, to dare attempt to reach out with the intent to speak to others like myself. JFC. No wonder I was a lurker for years before posting. This site has turned into a real bunch of unhelpful assholes.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 pm

just an aside, I think the new title is much more reflective of what OP is looking for than the original, and I hope it garners better/more helpful responses.

also ironic: OP calling people unhelpful/argumentative assholes instead of accepting constructive criticism from zkyggi

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:just an aside, I think the new title is much more reflective of what OP is looking for than the original, and I hope it garners better/more helpful responses.

also ironic: OP calling people unhelpful/argumentative assholes instead of accepting constructive criticism from zkyggi


Agreed the new title is more fitting. I also hope it helps garner some more helpful responses.

OP, you can't win this one. I get it is frustrating, but just ignore the assholes and hopefully, someone helpful will see it and reply.

TLS has changed a lot over the years. I never understood why you can't just ask a simple question and get an answer. Why anyone but an AA URM at HYS (or someone with helpful information answering your question) would reply is beyond me. But such is life... and such is TLS.

There are actually some helpful folks in the URM threads you may want to check out.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm

OP — I'm not URM, but the BLSA community at HLS is pretty great. I'm sure you can find some of current contact information if you google HLS BLSA, and I'm also confident that they'd get back to you. You might also try posting your question in the "HLS student answering" thread. Good luck!

Phil Brooks
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Phil Brooks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:just an aside, I think the new title is much more reflective of what OP is looking for than the original, and I hope it garners better/more helpful responses.

also ironic: OP calling people unhelpful/argumentative assholes instead of accepting constructive criticism from zkyggi


Agreed the new title is more fitting. I also hope it helps garner some more helpful responses.

OP, you can't win this one. I get it is frustrating, but just ignore the assholes and hopefully, someone helpful will see it and reply.

TLS has changed a lot over the years. I never understood why you can't just ask a simple question and get an answer. Why anyone but an AA URM at HYS (or someone with helpful information answering your question) would reply is beyond me. But such is life... and such is TLS.

There are actually some helpful folks in the URM threads you may want to check out.


A lot of helpful advice has been offered in this thread, especially by Skool: someone with an "HYS or bust" mentality who has wanted to go to Harvard Law School since freshman year of undergrad (!) seriously needs to sit down and reflect.

If I started a thread entitled "Wachtell or bust--looking to hear only from people at Wachtell," or "ED or bust--looking to hear only from people who did ED," I would want someone to set me straight.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:just an aside, I think the new title is much more reflective of what OP is looking for than the original, and I hope it garners better/more helpful responses.

also ironic: OP calling people unhelpful/argumentative assholes instead of accepting constructive criticism from zkyggi


Agreed the new title is more fitting. I also hope it helps garner some more helpful responses.

OP, you can't win this one. I get it is frustrating, but just ignore the assholes and hopefully, someone helpful will see it and reply.

TLS has changed a lot over the years. I never understood why you can't just ask a simple question and get an answer. Why anyone but an AA URM at HYS (or someone with helpful information answering your question) would reply is beyond me. But such is life... and such is TLS.

There are actually some helpful folks in the URM threads you may want to check out.


A lot of helpful advice has been offered in this thread, especially by Skool: someone with an "HYS or bust" mentality who has wanted to go to Harvard Law School since freshman year of undergrad (!) seriously needs to sit down and reflect.

If I started a thread entitled "Wachtell or bust--looking to hear only from people at Wachtell," or "ED or bust--looking to hear only from people who did ED," I would want someone to set me straight.



First, I don't see what helpful advice was offered in this thread aside from the few people who answered the fucking questions I actually asked.

Here was my OP:

"I am an AA URM and looking to network and find mentors of the same background who can help me. Grew up in a not so great neighborhood, went to college and did well. Looking at schools like HYS. High GPA, average softs, and decent work experience.

If you are specifically an AA URM could you please describe or PM me what exactly you did to prep for the LSAT?

What course/books did you use?
How long did you prep?
How many tests did you take?
Diagnostic?
Final score?
BLSA?
Advice for apps??

Things of that nature.... It isn't that someone who isn't of AA heritage doesn't have helpful info, but I'm looking to connect and talk with others like myself. I grew up in a place where I never really had the chance to talk about things like this with others around me. So I'm looking to utilize this forum to do that.

Thanks in advanced!"

Down thread a bit I also revealed that my reasoning for being HYS or bust was largely due to the fact I am interested in Academia. I'm looking to connect with students of color from HYS. Period. I want to talk to them, ask them questions (LSAT, admissions, BLSA), and get to know them. Maybe have some people to meet up with when I visit H later next year. I made all that pretty clear and was polite about it at first. Instead --aside from the people who did answer what they used to prep and give advice: TAD, OnlyHumean, O’Drama and Andersblooms93, the rest were just useless opinions on what people they think I should be focused on or doing. Or racially charged comments from trolls like Ilovedogsxo, or whatever his name is.

I don't need to sit down a reflect. You don't know how much thought I've put into this or my life experiences thus far. So take your snide remarks and shove them up your ass. I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia. Ergo, I am aiming for those schools. I also have the stats and softs that lead me to believe I should be aiming for those schools regardless. If I get a full ride at any other T14 I might reconsider, who knows. All I know is, for now, I'm interested in talking with AA URM folks who may be able to shed some experience on what I'm curious about.

No one needs to "set me straight" about wanting to connect with people I want to connect with.

"Wachtel or bust" compared to HYS or bust is just a tad bit ridiculous of a comparison. Don't ya think?
First, there's a tangible and logical reason I'm interested in these schools and I would like to connect and talk to some of the AA URMS who attend there. What good is asking a person from Columbia about HLS's BLSA?
Second, I'm not getting what is so egregious about all of this? What the fuck does it matter to you anyway? No one but the people I've mentioned have tried to help, but instead ridiculed me and just spewed out non-sequitur statements/opinions that don't help me in any way.

tl;dr

AA.
3.9x
Good Softs
Would like to speak to some URMS from HYS where I'd like to attend. Interested in things like BLSA, community, admissions, and how they prepped for the LSAT.
Would like to attend because I am interested in legal academia and HYS seems to be the place to go to do that

If this is a problem for anybody, please just don't bother contributing any more to the thread.

Thank you for those I've mentioned that have helped. It is appreciated.

Phil Brooks
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:59 am

MovingUnits wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:just an aside, I think the new title is much more reflective of what OP is looking for than the original, and I hope it garners better/more helpful responses.

also ironic: OP calling people unhelpful/argumentative assholes instead of accepting constructive criticism from zkyggi


Agreed the new title is more fitting. I also hope it helps garner some more helpful responses.

OP, you can't win this one. I get it is frustrating, but just ignore the assholes and hopefully, someone helpful will see it and reply.

TLS has changed a lot over the years. I never understood why you can't just ask a simple question and get an answer. Why anyone but an AA URM at HYS (or someone with helpful information answering your question) would reply is beyond me. But such is life... and such is TLS.

There are actually some helpful folks in the URM threads you may want to check out.


A lot of helpful advice has been offered in this thread, especially by Skool: someone with an "HYS or bust" mentality who has wanted to go to Harvard Law School since freshman year of undergrad (!) seriously needs to sit down and reflect.

If I started a thread entitled "Wachtell or bust--looking to hear only from people at Wachtell," or "ED or bust--looking to hear only from people who did ED," I would want someone to set me straight.



First, I don't see what helpful advice was offered in this thread aside from the few people who answered the fucking questions I actually asked.

Here was my OP:

"I am an AA URM and looking to network and find mentors of the same background who can help me. Grew up in a not so great neighborhood, went to college and did well. Looking at schools like HYS. High GPA, average softs, and decent work experience.

If you are specifically an AA URM could you please describe or PM me what exactly you did to prep for the LSAT?

What course/books did you use?
How long did you prep?
How many tests did you take?
Diagnostic?
Final score?
BLSA?
Advice for apps??

Things of that nature.... It isn't that someone who isn't of AA heritage doesn't have helpful info, but I'm looking to connect and talk with others like myself. I grew up in a place where I never really had the chance to talk about things like this with others around me. So I'm looking to utilize this forum to do that.

Thanks in advanced!"

Down thread a bit I also revealed that my reasoning for being HYS or bust was largely due to the fact I am interested in Academia. I'm looking to connect with students of color from HYS. Period. I want to talk to them, ask them questions (LSAT, admissions, BLSA), and get to know them. Maybe have some people to meet up with when I visit H later next year. I made all that pretty clear and was polite about it at first. Instead --aside from the people who did answer what they used to prep and give advice: TAD, OnlyHumean, O’Drama and Andersblooms93, the rest were just useless opinions on what people they think I should be focused on or doing. Or racially charged comments from trolls like Ilovedogsxo, or whatever his name is.

I don't need to sit down a reflect. You don't know how much thought I've put into this or my life experiences thus far. So take your snide remarks and shove them up your ass. I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia. Ergo, I am aiming for those schools. I also have the stats and softs that lead me to believe I should be aiming for those schools regardless. If I get a full ride at any other T14 I might reconsider, who knows. All I know is, for now, I'm interested in talking with AA URM folks who may be able to shed some experience on what I'm curious about.

No one needs to "set me straight" about wanting to connect with people I want to connect with.

"Wachtel or bust" compared to HYS or bust is just a tad bit ridiculous of a comparison. Don't ya think?
First, there's a tangible and logical reason I'm interested in these schools and I would like to connect and talk to some of the AA URMS who attend there. What good is asking a person from Columbia about HLS's BLSA?
Second, I'm not getting what is so egregious about all of this? What the fuck does it matter to you anyway? No one but the people I've mentioned have tried to help, but instead ridiculed me and just spewed out non-sequitur statements/opinions that don't help me in any way.

tl;dr

AA.
3.9x
Good Softs
Would like to speak to some URMS from HYS where I'd like to attend. Interested in things like BLSA, community, admissions, and how they prepped for the LSAT.
Would like to attend because I am interested in legal academia and HYS seems to be the place to go to do that

If this is a problem for anybody, please just don't bother contributing any more to the thread.

Thank you for those I've mentioned that have helped. It is appreciated.


Okay, to avoid this situation in the future, mention your interest in legal academia in the first post. Otherwise it looks like you're just prestige obsessed and are setting your sights higher than the rest of us plebians.

Frankly, I feel like the latter is the case with you, and you just pulled out the "legal academia" thing once people called out the prestige whoring of the original post and title.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:05 am

Phil Brooks wrote:
Okay, to avoid this situation in the future, mention your interest in legal academia in the first post. Otherwise it looks like you're just prestige obsessed and are setting your sights higher than the rest of us plebians.

Frankly, I feel like the latter is the case with you, and you just pulled out the "legal academia" thing once people called out the prestige whoring of the original post and title.



Not to mention, tons of people answered these questions:
What course/books did you use?
How long did you prep?
How many tests did you take?
Diagnostic?
Final score?

Shockingly (not), the answer from high-scoring AA URMs on those questions was largely identical to the rest of the population of high-scoring LSAT takers.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Skool » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am

MovingUnits wrote:don't need to sit down a reflect. You don't know how much thought I've put into this or my life experiences thus far. So take your snide remarks and shove them up your ass. I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia. Ergo, I am aiming for those schools.
Maybe I missed it, but it's not immediately clear from your early posts that this was the reasoning behind your focus on HYS. Without this information, a reasonable reader upon learning that you are some kind of striving-ass URM from "a not so great neighborhood" starting out on their law school application cycle could reasonably assume you have misconceptions about the import of HYS, especially given the history of this website and the type of people attracted to the profession generally. Given the context of this profession and this website, as well as the fact that you appear to have only identified the legal academy as your goal much later in the thread, it's hardly a non-sequitor to urge you to be careful in setting HYS as your exclusive goal.

But whatever. You want to be an academic, fine. You come to that conclusion because

MovingUnits wrote: I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia.


Elsewhere, you also describe your softs as good. If your work experience in the legal field is a part of what makes you have good softs, you presumably already have HYS graduates in your professional network. If you haven't already tried, I would try and get them to connect you with the recent graduates and current students you'd like to talk to. Personal connections are likely to produce more responses than TLS, if you're trying to get to know people. I know you say you're "not looking for just specifically networking, but much more." But putting aside the question of BLSAs, the answers to your questions are so well known, it seems like you're mostly looking for networking.

I do think it's a little weird to be so focused on the legal academy following freshman year experience and 0L legal work experience. But ok. As a CCN student, I wish you all the success in the world in landing among HYS students. :lol:

Phil Brooks
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:39 am

This doesn't add up at all. On the one hand, OP says he wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. On the other hand, OP says that his experience in the legal field led him to want to go for legal academia, ergo HYS.

Well, OP likely did not acquire his experience in the legal field until after freshman year. So his desire to go to HYS, and HYS alone, was formed before his supposed interest in legal academia. Therefore, this desire is motivate by prestige, and only prestige. People on this thread have given the reasonable advice that OP should not revolve his life around perceived prestige. There are much less expensive and more realistic ways to show that you've "made it" from difficult circumstances.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Skool wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:don't need to sit down a reflect. You don't know how much thought I've put into this or my life experiences thus far. So take your snide remarks and shove them up your ass. I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia. Ergo, I am aiming for those schools.
Maybe I missed it, but it's not immediately clear from your early posts that this was the reasoning behind your focus on HYS. Without this information, a reasonable reader upon learning that you are some kind of striving-ass URM from "a not so great neighborhood" starting out on their law school application cycle could reasonably assume you have misconceptions about the import of HYS, especially given the history of this website and the type of people attracted to the profession generally. Given the context of this profession and this website, as well as the fact that you appear to have only identified the legal academy as your goal much later in the thread, it's hardly a non-sequitor to urge you to be careful in setting HYS as your exclusive goal.

But whatever. You want to be an academic, fine. You come to that conclusion because

MovingUnits wrote: I have work experience in the legal field that has lead me to decide I am interested in pursuing legal academia HYS is known for producing most of the jobs in this legal academia.


Elsewhere, you also describe your softs as good. If your work experience in the legal field is a part of what makes you have good softs, you presumably already have HYS graduates in your professional network. If you haven't already tried, I would try and get them to connect you with the recent graduates and current students you'd like to talk to. Personal connections are likely to produce more responses than TLS, if you're trying to get to know people. I know you say you're "not looking for just specifically networking, but much more." But putting aside the question of BLSAs, the answers to your questions are so well known, it seems like you're mostly looking for networking.

I do think it's a little weird to be so focused on the legal academy following freshman year experience and 0L legal work experience. But ok. As a CCN student, I wish you all the success in the world in landing among HYS students. :lol:



I made it clear one of the reasons I was HYS was academia. I want to go there for other obvious reasons. One being they are ranked the highest and have great employment numbers and offer increased chances at opportunities that other schools do not, or at least not with the same odds.

Freshman year when I decided on law school I did research and decided on HYS for many reasons. Prestige is likely one of them, but certainly not at the top of the reason. Believe what you want. I'm actually sorry I made this thread and had to defend myself for wanting to go to the best schools I could get into, for good reasons, and connect with others that share a similar background.

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:This doesn't add up at all. On the one hand, OP says he wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. On the other hand, OP says that his experience in the legal field led him to want to go for legal academia, ergo HYS.

Well, OP likely did not acquire his experience in the legal field until after freshman year. So his desire to go to HYS, and HYS alone, was formed before his supposed interest in legal academia. Therefore, this desire is motivate by prestige, and only prestige. People on this thread have given the reasonable advice that OP should not revolve his life around perceived prestige. There are much less expensive and more realistic ways to show that you've "made it" from difficult circumstances.


Yes, this logic is strong. It just doesn't add up.... that I've wanted to attend HYS since freshman year. You assume my legal work experience was before freshman year, so that means, therefore, it's motivated by prestige and only prestige. Yes, now, that adds up. It couldn't be that I wanted to attend the best law school regardless of academia or employment prospects.

My entire life clearly revolved around prestige, I made that clear by daring to want to go to a top rated school. And this entire thread gave me lots of advice on why I shouldn't revolve my life around perceived prestige? I also forgot to add when I go back to my hood, with my Yale JD, I'm going to have them install spinners on the Uber XL before I even step foot in that bitch. 'Cause this is all about me proving I made it. Nothing to do with the fact that maybe I work hard for me. Did well in undergrad, have the grades, work experience, softs, LORS, and want to attend one of my dream schools because I actually have the shot to do so. If I get a full ride at somewhere else, I won't even dignify it with a response. HA! I'll tell the admissions committee "Thank you for your offer to attend Non-HYS institution. p.s. Don't make me slap you with the left."

I like how much of the posts above were just pure conjecture and got it all completely wrong. Thanks again for those that did help -- I did appreciate those that reached out.

Can we lock the thread or have the mods murder me for crimes against TLS? I'm guilty of daring to want to attend a Top3 school! *Gasp* I thought I was on "top law schools" but apparently, the name should be changed to www.DontyoudareFUCKINGdreamaboutgoingto ... esigewhore. I wish I could retroactively have attended a shittier undergrad too. When I came home from college I pulled up and flexed on em' with my leased Ford Fusion Hopped out with 10 chains *THAT's RIGHTTTT" Jeezy voice.

I'm going to give myself 100 floggings for being such a prestige whore. With a 3.9X and TBD LSAT (I was aiming for a 180, but that's prestigious whore material) Now I think I will just aim for a 165 that should get me into H at least.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28416
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm

You sound a little defensive.

Unfortunately what you ran into was a bunch of people who have run into too many applicants who value prestige over anything else. So they have a really strong reaction now (kind of like how an allergy gets worse the more exposed to the allergen you are).

MovingUnits
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby MovingUnits » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You sound a little defensive.

Unfortunately what you ran into was a bunch of people who have run into too many applicants who value prestige over anything else. So they have a really strong reaction now (kind of like how an allergy gets worse the more exposed to the allergen you are).



Makes perfect sense A. Nony Mouse. I get that a lot of applicants are that way about prestige.

I didn't start off that way, but I got defensive and for that, I apologize.

I'm sorry I even made the thread. Thanks again for the help I did receive.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Postby Skool » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm

"Freshman year when I decided on law school" sounds almost like, when I was 18 or 19 and decided this woman was the love of my life.

MovingUnits wrote:I'm actually sorry I made this thread and had to defend myself for wanting to go to the best schools I could get into, for good reasons, and connect with others that share a similar background.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to go to the best schools you can get into. That's not the issue.

The issue is whether or not you have good reasons for wanting to go. Again, you've presented the fact that you've decided to go to law school after one year of college. Again, that justifiably gives many of us pause. And then, your interest in law school is predicated on the part of the legal profession that is the most removed from the job that most law graduates, even Yalies, end up getting in the legal profession: being a lawyer.

No one has more information about you then you. And you're telling us that you decided to dedicate your professional life to what is, as you know, one of the most difficult to attain legal jobs. And you made that decision as a 19 year old with one year of college. To those of us who don't know you, it sounds like a bit of a red flag. And trying to network with HYS students SPECIFICALLY when you haven't even taken the LSAT is slightly weird too. It's not like they have some sort of knowledge you need at the stage you're at that other students/grads can't offer you.

But maybe you're really the special snowflake who has things figured out since freshman year and I'm just getting it completely wrong. In my defense, if your goal of legal academia really is well-considered given the sequence of events you described, you really would be an unusual case.

If I were you, though, the real question I would be asking myself is not "what's the BLSA at HLS like," it's what's my plan B if I don't become a law professor? Would I be happy just being a work-a-day lawyer (or some other kind of academic)? Am I comfortable enough with my plan B that it's still worth it for me to spend the time and money applying to law school? Have I seen enough of the legal profession to know that I want to be a law professor and not, say, a death penalty lawyer (which isn't necessarily mutually exculsive).

But I don't know you.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests