The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
23%
167-169
16%
11%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
7%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 115

MercW07

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby MercW07 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 pm

When someone asks your PT average how many PTs do you count towards that average? I was thinking that the average of my 10 most recent PTs would give an accurate average but Im wondering what you guys think. Not like this really matters, just thought it was interesting.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm

MercW07 wrote:When someone asks your PT average how many PTs do you count towards that average? I was thinking that the average of my 10 most recent PTs would give an accurate average but Im wondering what you guys think. Not like this really matters, just thought it was interesting.

I think people either do the 5 most recent or 10. I usually just tell people a range instead of an average when I'm asked though

lemon_lyman

New

Postby lemon_lyman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:29 pm

For those that work full-time, how do you guys space out your studying?

For each night, I have a max of about 4 hours of studying, and what ends up happening is that I end up only studying one of the three types of test sections each day. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about studying since I'll go a couple of days without practicing logic games, for example.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm

lemon_lyman wrote:For those that work full-time, how do you guys space out your studying?

For each night, I have a max of about 4 hours of studying, and what ends up happening is that I end up only studying one of the three types of test sections each day. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about studying since I'll go a couple of days without practicing logic games, for example.

I can manage 3 hours before I have to embark on my hellish commute now. I’ve been seriously studying for about sevenish months now so I’m just focusing on my weaknesses at this point aka logical reasoning. I haven’t touched logic games or reading comp since the September exam but I’m def planning on getting back to it in another week or so!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Underperformed on PT 64, don't know why my LR is completely fucked up lately (????????)

exp RC: -5
LR: -7/-8 (???????) -- I was consistently getting about -2 per LR before the September test, don't really know what's happening
LG: -2 (k)
RC: -7

gonna review it over the weekend. I'm to the point where I barely give a shit anymore honestly. December is my last take and I'm done with this shit, it's so wack already man.

edit: I'm not really sure why my LR is slipping this bad lately. I haven't practiced LR in a long time, so maybe the stuff I learned are kinda just, fading? I have no idea, but I felt like I actually did alright on these LRs so I'm just not really sure what is going on..

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Mikey wrote:Underperformed on PT 64, don't know why my LR is completely fucked up lately (????????)

LR: -7/-8 (???????) -- I was consistently getting about -2 per LR before the September test, don't really know what's happening

gonna review it over the weekend. I'm to the point where I barely give a shit anymore honestly. December is my last take and I'm done with this shit, it's so wack already man.

edit: I'm not really sure why my LR is slipping this bad lately. I haven't practiced LR in a long time, so maybe the stuff I learned are kinda just, fading? I have no idea, but I felt like I actually did alright on these LRs so I'm just not really sure what is going on..

Same thing happened to me with LR not long before September (hence the rewrite). I went back over the basics and it's all coming back. I think what I'd suggest is to go back to whatever you learned the basics from (LSAT trainer, 7sage, bibles, etc) and just redo the LR stuff. I focused too much on ganes and RC and lost my edge on lR. I think t was because, as you said, my memory of the actual basics was sort of fading and I was only drilling sections/doing PTs.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:Underperformed on PT 64, don't know why my LR is completely fucked up lately (????????)

Same thing happened to me with LR not long before September (hence the rewrite). I went back over the basics and it's all coming back. I think what I'd suggest is to go back to whatever you learned the basics from (LSAT trainer, 7sage, bibles, etc) and just redo the LR stuff. I focused too much on ganes and RC and lost my edge on lR. I think t was because, as you said, my memory of the actual basics was sort of fading and I was only drilling sections/doing PTs.

you're prob right. ugh, fundamentals

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Mikey wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:

you're prob right. ugh, fundamentals

Same. I noticed after doing it for a long time I get complacent with LR and dont always apply the fundamentals I just kinda shoot from the hip and "answer" the question. This past week ive reviewed fundamentals and naturally re implemented my strategies back

kkilambi

New

Postby kkilambi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 pm

How do you guys overcome spacing out issue during LSAT?

On LR sections, I seem to space out where nothing that I read is going into my head.

I perceive the stimulus as distinct set of words rather than small passage trying to convey meaning. During this phase, I try to brute force my analysis. I use conclusion and premise indicators to the separate out the component parts and try to go to answers with very limited understanding of the stimulus.

Do any of you experience it? If you do , how do you resolve the problem?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

saffles wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Any advice on how to improve on LR and go over missed questions?

As someone who only used the LSAT Trainer before, I found that going through the chapters of Manhattan LR guide on the question types I suck at has helped me dramatically in my elimination and assumption skills. Are you struggling with specific question types? Timing?

Assumption questions are difficult for me.

saffles

Bronze

Postby saffles » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:28 pm

PrezRand wrote:
saffles wrote:

As someone who only used the LSAT Trainer before, I found that going through the chapters of Manhattan LR guide on the question types I suck at has helped me dramatically in my elimination and assumption skills. Are you struggling with specific question types? Timing?

Ahh same. Manhattan Prep LR has really helped me so I think you should give it a try if you can! Practice thinking of what the argument needs in order to bridge the support with the conclusion. Just do that as a bunch of drills and see if what you expected falls in line with any of the answer choices. Otherwise (if you don't see anything similar), you may have been coming up with the wrong assumptions/asking yourself the wrong questions.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:25 pm

saffles wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
saffles wrote:

Ahh same. Manhattan Prep LR has really helped me so I think you should give it a try if you can! Practice thinking of what the argument needs in order to bridge the support with the conclusion. Just do that as a bunch of drills and see if what you expected falls in line with any of the answer choices. Otherwise (if you don't see anything similar), you may have been coming up with the wrong assumptions/asking yourself the wrong questions.

The MH LR book is great. THey organize the material really well and its not gimmicky at all. Well thought out and easy to understand. Similar layout and progression as the trainer

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am

I'm surprised that I don't drink alcohol is currently the top choice.... Wonder how many are because they're not 21...

peege

New

Postby peege » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:24 am

Y'all may have an answer to my question...

So I'm a senior in undergrad and am leaning toward taking a year off before law school, but if I did that I would no longer be eligible for my parents insurance (retired military Tricare). I'd have a job in the interim but how do you get health insurance in law school if you're not married and not on your parents' plan??

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:13 pm

peege wrote:
greatspirit wrote:Tips on how to get into a conducive mindset after a day at work for studying? And none of that “lol just force it” dictum - I’m a “matter influences the mind” sort of person.

Weekday evenings after work are THE LAST time I want to study, but I know that this hesitation is holding back my ability to study significantly.

Hey I came across this and didn't know if anyone responded! I, too, have to study after working then going to class. I had to find a place outside my house, like the library. I usually get a coffee and snack and park in a garage that forces me to stay until a certain time so I don't have to pay. I also set goals for what I have to get done in that session and it keeps me on track.

There we go. Very helpful, thank you! I agree that going home just won’t cut it...I do have a place in mind I could go to in the evenings.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Experiment626 wrote:I'm surprised that I don't drink alcohol is currently the top choice.... Wonder how many are because they're not 21...

I’m 23 but I gave up drinking back in May for both social and religious reasons!

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm

littlewing67 wrote:PT 70
LR -3 (BR -2)
RC -2 (BR -2)
EXP LR -0 (BR -0)
LG -0 (BR -0)
LR -2 (BR -2)
-7 /BR -6
--------------------------
173 (BR 174)

*Retake

Was going to do a fresh PT I had never taken before ever today, but for some reason, I must have dreamt that I heard my alarm going off and jumped out of bed wondering why I was so tired, so I check my phone and find out it was only 4:30 AM. I couldn't fall asleep after that, so I didn't want to risk bombing one of THREE PTs I haven't done b/c of lack of sleep. Going to do it tomorrow and do some drilling today :D Hoping tomorrow's PT will give me a more accurate prediction of my score b/c new material.

Also, I'm hype for Halloween. I decided to be an inmate and bought orange scrubs and some temporary tattoos to make a sleeve. Might draw on some neck and face tattoos too. Gonna be one badass bitch 8)

wait so you did a PT at 4:30 am???? you wilddddddd

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
You’re bugging I took my ass back to bed lol I just couldn’t sleep and was having super weird dreams

hahaha word

i was like DAMN i know this is TLS but 4:30AM PTs is neurotic AF :lol: :lol:

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 pm

peege wrote:Y'all may have an answer to my question...

So I'm a senior in undergrad and am leaning toward taking a year off before law school, but if I did that I would no longer be eligible for my parents insurance (retired military Tricare). I'd have a job in the interim but how do you get health insurance in law school if you're not married and not on your parents' plan??

Student health insurance plan or the exchanges, if they still exist after next year.

Also, you might be able to get back onto your parents plan when you start school. Tricare is weird, not 100% sure on the ins and outs of how it interacts with the normal requirement that parents can keep their children on their plan to age 26 without being a full time student...
Last edited by Experiment626 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
You’re bugging I took my ass back to bed lol I just couldn’t sleep and was having super weird dreams

hahaha word

I mean, some people are going to have to get up at that time to get to their test center with enough time to warmup and check in...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:

hahaha word

I mean, some people are going to have to get up at that time to get to their test center with enough time to warmup and check in...

I mean yeah, on test day though.. But i feel like routinely getting up at like 4 or 5 am to get shit started with studying (assuming someone isn't doing it for a reason such as their work schedule or something) is a bit extreme.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:03 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
I’ve heard of people having to wake up at 4AM test day, and that’s quiet unfortunate. Thank god I only have to wake up at 6:00/6:30 to be able to do morning drills and check in and all that jazz. I’m a ~15 drive from my test center, if that.

im about 30 mins from our TC, maybe less if i speed and no traffic. so around 6 to 6:30 for me as well.

do you get there super early though? your area of the room was all filled up i think by the time i got there.. i hate that long ass line at our TC, its dreadful.. GOSH NY KIDS, WHY DO SO MANY OF Y'ALL WANT TO BE LAWYERS

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?