The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
23%
167-169
16%
11%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
7%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 115

Silver

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:04 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
FALLLSEEE: Lilwing exclusively does pickleback (sp?) shots!!!

Oh how I miss undergrad lol

to be fair, we discovered these after undergrad

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Dumb question, but can someone answer it for me anyway?

A will not happen unless B and C happen.

Is that (~B and ~C --> ~A) or (~B or ~C --> ~A)

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Re-took PT10 RC today. Did well but damn I still think that is one of the hardest sets of passages.

kiklavan wrote:Dumb question, but can someone answer it for me anyway?

Assuming ~ means "not," then the second one is right.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm

etramak wrote:Re-took PT10 RC today. Did well but damn I still think that is one of the hardest sets of passages.

Thank you!!!

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:57 pm

kiklavan wrote:
etramak wrote:Re-took PT10 RC today. Did well but damn I still think that is one of the hardest sets of passages.

Thank you!!!

The way I usually read those statements is (A -> B and C)... b/c if A happened then we know B AND C must have happened to even give A that option. And the second one is the contrapositive. Negate and flip the "and" to an "or" (right?)

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Your second one is right, but its the contrapositive of what I would have got. Heres how I did it fwiw:

When you see the word unless think "negate sufficient", so negate one of the 2 ideas and make it the sufficient condition. Instead of messing with the negation of "B and C" (which you did correctly btw) I find it easier to just negate the "not A." When you negate a "not" statement you just drop the not and change this unless to a then. So when you negate the "not A" you simply end up with something that reads "If A then B and C" which translated looks like (A----> B and C) and of course the contrapositive of this is your second answer.

saffles

Bronze

Postby saffles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm

clueless801 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:

Thank you!!!

The way I usually read those statements is (A -> B and C)... b/c if A happened then we know B AND C must have happened to even give A that option. And the second one is the contrapositive. Negate and flip the "and" to an "or" (right?)

Yeah,

"You can't drive unless you're 16." Drive -> 16 and up

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Advice for tackling abstract answer choices? I’m finding that I’m usually confuzzled when I don’t get what the answer choice is saying even if I understand the argument. Is this something that just comes with practice?

saffles

Bronze

Postby saffles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:33 pm

clueless801 wrote:Advice for tackling abstract answer choices? I’m finding that I’m usually confuzzled when I don’t get what the answer choice is saying even if I understand the argument. Is this something that just comes with practice?

Are those types still relevant? I thought they did away with them after the 60-something test...when LSAT trainer briefly went over that it said to just have a clear answer already and just compare your expected answer with the answer choices.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:38 pm

What is the best way to review RC?

I just kinda look at the question again and try to find support in the passage to justify the right answer or a train of thought if its an inference q, but idk if this helps my RC skill effectively. I just am able to decipher the right answer to the question.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Haven't taken a full length PT in 3 weeks....fuuuuck these applications

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm

saffles wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Advice for tackling abstract answer choices? I’m finding that I’m usually confuzzled when I don’t get what the answer choice is saying even if I understand the argument. Is this something that just comes with practice?

Are those types still relevant? I thought they did away with them after the 60-something test...when LSAT trainer briefly went over that it said to just have a clear answer already and just compare your expected answer with the answer choices.

Ahhh didn’t know that. I’ve been drilling with questions from 1-49 so the abstract shit annoys me. I usually have an expected answer but annoying to match up with what’s there.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Just wanna rant that I hate the MTA and it’s ability to turn a 45min ride into a ride nearly 2 hours. My sleep deprived ass could’ve been in bed but no here I am on a noisy and crowded train just chilling.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 am

clueless801 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:

Thank you!!!

Helpful. Thanks for this!

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:What is the best way to review RC?

I just kinda look at the question again and try to find support in the passage to justify the right answer or a train of thought if its an inference q, but idk if this helps my RC skill effectively. I just am able to decipher the right answer to the question.

Doing this felt completely ineffective but over time worked for me. I'd write the question # by the place in the passage where I found the answer.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 am

MercW07 wrote:

Your second one is right, but its the contrapositive of what I would have got. Heres how I did it fwiw:

When you see the word unless think "negate sufficient", so negate one of the 2 ideas and make it the sufficient condition. Instead of messing with the negation of "B and C" (which you did correctly btw) I find it easier to just negate the "not A." When you negate a "not" statement you just drop the not and change this unless to a then. So when you negate the "not A" you simply end up with something that reads "If A then B and C" which translated looks like (A----> B and C) and of course the contrapositive of this is your second answer.

Also helpful. Thank you!

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:57 am

Any advice on how to improve on LR and go over missed questions?

saffles

Bronze

Postby saffles » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 am

clueless801 wrote:Just wanna rant that I hate the MTA and it’s ability to turn a 45min ride into a ride nearly 2 hours. My sleep deprived ass could’ve been in bed but no here I am on a noisy and crowded train just chilling.

That's how I can appreciate the LIRR so much =w=

saffles

Bronze

Postby saffles » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:46 am

PrezRand wrote:Any advice on how to improve on LR and go over missed questions?

As someone who only used the LSAT Trainer before, I found that going through the chapters of Manhattan LR guide on the question types I suck at has helped me dramatically in my elimination and assumption skills. Are you struggling with specific question types? Timing?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am

kiklavan wrote:

Doing this felt completely ineffective but over time worked for me. I'd write the question # by the place in the passage where I found the answer.

Ok cool. This is how I feel rn but hoping ill just see the progress in consistency!

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
kiklavan wrote:

Ok cool. This is how I feel rn but hoping ill just see the progress in consistency!

What I've been doing lately, is during my review I have a couple different highlighter colors, and while going through the questions /BR I try to highlight the exact place in the text that supports my answer, so I know I am going off the text 100%. I do each question in a different color just to distinguish them.

THanks! Ive do this, but I just need to be more disciplined with my review of RC haha and do this all the time

kkilambi

New

Postby kkilambi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:28 pm

I observed that I am not able to score less than 3 incorrect questions in timed LR sections, any way I can keep improving my scores? How do people keep getting perfect scores on LR?

peege

New

Postby peege » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm

greatspirit wrote:Tips on how to get into a conducive mindset after a day at work for studying? And none of that “lol just force it” dictum - I’m a “matter influences the mind” sort of person.

Weekday evenings after work are THE LAST time I want to study, but I know that this hesitation is holding back my ability to study significantly.

Hey I came across this and didn't know if anyone responded! I, too, have to study after working then going to class. I had to find a place outside my house, like the library. I usually get a coffee and snack and park in a garage that forces me to stay until a certain time so I don't have to pay. I also set goals for what I have to get done in that session and it keeps me on track.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?