36-40
No votes
40+
2%

Total votes: 44

greatspirit

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby greatspirit » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 pm

How many hours a week is everyone devoting to studying?

Bartlet4President

Postby Bartlet4President » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm

King of the North wrote:First time taking a PT (not counting my diagnostic months ago). 156 :/ but I messed up and flustered myself. I tossed out a section I thought was the experimental and blah blah. But BR was a 167. Every section I went -3 but LG I went -6. The bad news is, I went -6. The good news is, it's LG and I know I can significantly improve on it in the next two months. And I think this test being my first full PT also overwhelmed me a bit. I hope so. Really aiming for higher 160s on test day.

You shouldn't be worrying about a 156. Do work score rise. Familiarity alone will help you eat the tst starting at that score. Take in Feb or whenever the test after Dec is and you should be good.

Bartlet4President

Postby Bartlet4President » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:54 pm

greatspirit wrote:How many hours a week is everyone devoting to studying?

1 to 2 timed 4 or 5 section PT with a review of about hour or two each. That's about 10 hours alone plus the other days doing 1 to 2 timed sections with BR.

Bartlet4President

Postby Bartlet4President » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:When you guys drill LR in between PTs how many questions do you usually do/how much time do you spend drilling?

I drill a section with a timer first then BR it untimed. But I may be at a different point in my progress than you since I sat for June.

Do you just pick a random section that you've already completed?

I don't understand. I usually just work through my books doing the LR sections at this point. Sometimes RC. Let's say I did first LR of test 45 today, 2nd LR of 45 tomorrow, maybe the RC the next day, 1st LR of 46 the day after. Something like that. I don't pick out sections I have already done, but if you study consistently for a year or more you will run out of tests and have a vague if any remembrance of most sections.

Bartlet4President

Postby Bartlet4President » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:When you guys drill LR in between PTs how many questions do you usually do/how much time do you spend drilling?

I drill a section with a timer first then BR it untimed. But I may be at a different point in my progress than you since I sat for June.

Do you just pick a random section that you've already completed?

No, I have pretty much every published test and there's no way I'll get through all of them from PTing so I just divided them into groups. Tests I'll drill with and Tests I'll use for full simulated PTs.

Pretty much that.

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Bartlet4President wrote:
King of the North wrote:First time taking a PT (not counting my diagnostic months ago). 156 :/ but I messed up and flustered myself. I tossed out a section I thought was the experimental and blah blah. But BR was a 167. Every section I went -3 but LG I went -6. The bad news is, I went -6. The good news is, it's LG and I know I can significantly improve on it in the next two months. And I think this test being my first full PT also overwhelmed me a bit. I hope so. Really aiming for higher 160s on test day.

You shouldn't be worrying about a 156. Do work score rise. Familiarity alone will help you eat the tst starting at that score. Take in Feb or whenever the test after Dec is and you should be good.

My goal is Dec. And I feel like I can get the score I want by then. What I'll probably end up doing is taking Dec. then filling out apps while studying for Feb. I want to go next year. I know I don't have to, but I sure as hell want to. And I'm going to do whatever it takes to make it happen. So either I get the score I want/need in Dec., or I get a good enough score to submit with my apps and then tell the schools that I'll send another score in Feb.

MercW07

Postby MercW07 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Starting today, 35-40.

twiix

Postby twiix » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm

i havent started studying bc i need to get my fucking essays written, but they arent writing themselves. jfc.

i think i'd rather write about theoretical astrophysics than write a personal statement about myself. I hate writing about myself.

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 am

Just officially registered. :!:

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 am

twiix wrote:i havent started studying bc i need to get my fucking essays written, but they arent writing themselves. jfc.

i think i'd rather write about theoretical astrophysics than write a personal statement about myself. I hate writing about myself.

I wrote most of my essays between the June test and Sept. Just finalizing one and working on the school specific ones I had to wait for until apps were released. But yea, essay writing is a drag.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
twiix wrote:i havent started studying bc i need to get my fucking essays written, but they arent writing themselves. jfc.

I wrote most of my essays between the June test and Sept. Just finalizing one and working on the school specific ones I had to wait for until apps were released. But yea, essay writing is a drag.

It's really the hardest thing, writing a PS. I've scrapped mine 3 times.

I really thought I could write all of my essays in less than a week and just have to polish them, but nope :)

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I really should fit some essay writing into my schedule as well. My hope was to write my essays/apps between Dec and Jan when scores drop but that might not be so practical.

greatspirit

Postby greatspirit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am

Registering today!

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:16 am

King of the North wrote:I really should fit some essay writing into my schedule as well. My hope was to write my essays/apps between Dec and Jan when scores drop but that might not be so practical.

Yes, start now. It's going to take time and you'll probably loose a chunk with the holidays.

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am

Experiment626 wrote:
King of the North wrote:I really should fit some essay writing into my schedule as well. My hope was to write my essays/apps between Dec and Jan when scores drop but that might not be so practical.

Yes, start now. It's going to take time and you'll probably loose a chunk with the holidays.

True. Though fortunately for me the holidays are just going to be days where I have extra time to study since I won't be at work.

MindyKale

Postby MindyKale » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

I just started doing PTs (Untimed mostly)--I don't take an indeterminate amount of time but I take between 40-45 min per section.
While doing PTs I had this question. So, the bubbling part--are we supposed to do it within the 35 minutes per section? Can we do the whole test and bubble it within the writing sample time? (That would be too sweet of the LSAT people so I am guessing not..so how does the bubbling work?).

Also, any tips on how to cut the time? Initially, I was practicing towards accuracy over speed, but now I am kinda apprehensive if two months is enough to pick up speed.

Mecheman

Postby Mecheman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm

MindyKale wrote:Hey guys,

I just started doing PTs (Untimed mostly)--I don't take an indeterminate amount of time but I take between 40-45 min per section.
While doing PTs I had this question. So, the bubbling part--are we supposed to do it within the 35 minutes per section? Can we do the whole test and bubble it within the writing sample time? (That would be too sweet of the LSAT people so I am guessing not..so how does the bubbling work?).

Also, any tips on how to cut the time? Initially, I was practicing towards accuracy over speed, but now I am kinda apprehensive if two months is enough to pick up speed.

With the bubbling part, its best to do it after a "part" of the section. So while doing LG, circle them in the booklet until the end of that game, then bubble in. Same way with a reading comp passage and with every two facing pages on LR

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm

King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

True. Though fortunately for me the holidays are just going to be days where I have extra time to study since I won't be at work.

Ummm which holidays are you talking about. The test is Dec 2nd... Or are you talking about school and not the LSAT.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 pm

MindyKale wrote:Hey guys,

What is not bubbled in when time is called for the section is wrong. If you try and do it afterwards and are caught, you will be kicked out for cheating and the law schools will be notified when you apply.

Accuracy is best, the more you do the faster you'll get, and then the time will go down. It really depends on where you are at score wise. You really should do a test under full timing conditions so you have an idea of where you're at under as close to conditions as possible. Or at least have a timer for the section and note what question you were at when time is over and keep going until you're done with the section.

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Ummm which holidays are you talking about. The test is Dec 2nd... Or are you talking about school and not the LSAT.

What did you mean by "lose a chunk with the holidays?"

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:31 pm

King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Lose time to work on things because of the holidays. Family functions and all the assorted stuff..

King of the North

Postby King of the North » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:08 am

Experiment626 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Lose time to work on things because of the holidays. Family functions and all the assorted stuff..

That’s what I thought you meant lol. Yeah I’m not worried about those functions and my job has good time off for holidays. I don’t even celebrate Christmas so I’m fine.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:37 am

Starting now, 30-40

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am

Ok guys. The Sept group is almost to Grey day. I'm holding the current poll open until 2 days after scores are released to catch as many stragglers as possible.

BUT, start thinking and suggesting new poll ideas because we will have many things to vote on over the next 8-9 weeks! Bonus points if you provide a topic that creates conversation for our post count to hit 180!

greatspirit

Postby greatspirit » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:03 pm

I hope this thread explodes after Sept grey day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”