The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
11%
164-167
23%
167-169
16%
11%
171-172
11%
172-174
8%
7%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 114

kiklavan

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm

lemon_lyman wrote:
kiklavan wrote:Ugh you guys I'm freaking out. I really don't want to bomb and have to delay a cycle. :cry:

I feel the EXACT same way. I really don't want to delay a cycle either. All we can do at this point is to continue to build our confidence. We've studied for this. We are prepared. We just need to go in and take it. the test will be over before we know it.

Yes, exactly. I keep telling myself this is just like any other test we've taken. You study as much as you can & hope for the best.

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm

kiklavan wrote:
lemon_lyman wrote:
kiklavan wrote:Ugh you guys I'm freaking out. I really don't want to bomb and have to delay a cycle. :cry:

I feel the EXACT same way. I really don't want to delay a cycle either. All we can do at this point is to continue to build our confidence. We've studied for this. We are prepared. We just need to go in and take it. the test will be over before we know it.

Yes, exactly. I keep telling myself this is just like any other test we've taken. You study as much as you can & hope for the best.

Judging by your previous posts and the thread you made a month or so ago about your prep, I think you're very well prepared and that you're fully capable of dominating Saturday. Don't underestimate the impressiveness of hitting 170+ at all, even it's a retake of a test you'd previously taken. Get off of here and relax!

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 pm

239840 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
239840 wrote:How did some of you studs get from 9-12 wrong in LR to 0-5?

Since I'm apparently not smart enough to miss fewer than 5-7+ questions in the LSAT's RC section, I'll have to do pretty well in both LR and LG to have any prayer of making it well into the 160s.

repetition repetition repetition :)
preferably repetition by type before repetition by sets

This and make sure you are implementing the fundamentals when you approach each question and not just answering from "the hip"

Do you guys pretty much just try to habitualize question-type-specific strategies and learn common trap ACs? I think timing is big too. I usually get the first 12-15 questions right, but getting through the final 10 without missing 4-5 is pretty tough. Also, how many questions did you do by type?? And just the more common types, or did you do pretty much every type as much as possible?

Literally read the LR Bible from Powerscore (I haven't tried other books so I can't speak for other books). For every question type, read what the common answers and wrong answers are and internalize. Read it again and again until you have a good grasp of what you need to be looking out for. The book lays it out for you pretty well. For reference, I made shorthand notes for each question type so I wouldn't have to read it more than like 3 times. Then I just went back and reviewed those notes right before doing sets of the specific question type. After a while of doing the same question type, it should just click for 90-95% of the questions. It's pretty systematic. Once you have a base of the fundamentals, then move on to doing full sections. I used PTs 1-20 to practice this skill. I did that twice and felt I had a solid grasp. I went from getting only 7-8 RIGHT on each LR section to sometimes getting -0. It just also really depends on the test too and your mindset. I think the hardest part of it all is having the motivation to sit and do this over and over without getting bored and giving up. I think that's what separates high scorers from low scorers. Unless you have a natural gift for thinking the way LSAT wants you to think, which most people don't, you have to be incredibly disciplined and motivated to get to missing -2-4.
To miss that few on the LR, you will have to get to a point where you are no longer consciously stopping and thinking about the question stem and where you have a firm understanding of the overall structure of the argument. I would advise you to practice this method until you sincerely feel you're at that level. Once you start finishing LR with 5-7 minutes to spare, I'd say you're in great shape and you have practiced enough. :)

And to answer your question, you should practice every single question type and also concentrate on your weaknesses, which varies from person to person.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm

I did Section 1 of PT81 and can I just say I hate whatever shift this is to more complex LR? Like there's something definitely different. I went -6 right now so I'm going to try to dissect where shit went wrong before I go to the second LR.

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:I did Section 1 of PT81 and can I just say I hate whatever shift this is to more complex LR? Like there's something definitely different. I went -6 right now so I'm going to try to dissect where shit went wrong before I go to the second LR.

I think someone said something about the newer LRs being more inferential. I definitely got that vibe when I was reviewing my wrong answers. I've done every single LR questions from 1-40 and they were more straightforward IMO.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:I did Section 1 of PT81 and can I just say I hate whatever shift this is to more complex LR? Like there's something definitely different. I went -6 right now so I'm going to try to dissect where shit went wrong before I go to the second LR.

I did slightly worse than normal on 81 as well, but when I went back and BRed LR it really was just a few stupid mistakes that hurt me. I didn't think it was harder or even really different at first glance, but everyone seems to think so. Im going over the one of the LRs tomorrow as a little warm up for test day so maybe my opinion will change.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Yeah it's definitely more inferential - and it's way more detail creeps!! My propensity for stupid mistakes is amplified here...

Also, can one of you guys explain the difference between A and B for Q19 in S1 for PT81? I'm not quite understanding the Manhattan Prep explanation of how those two answer choices are different aghh.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Yeah it's definitely more inferential - and it's way more detail creeps!! My propensity for stupid mistakes is amplified here...

Also, can one of you guys explain the difference between A and B for Q19 in S1 for PT81? I'm not quite understanding the Manhattan Prep explanation of how those two answer choices are different aghh.

Are you talking about the dowsing passage? Just making sure you didn't mistype S1 instead of LR1 (Section 2).

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 pm

damask_rain wrote:
239840 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:

Since I'm apparently not smart enough to miss fewer than 5-7+ questions in the LSAT's RC section, I'll have to do pretty well in both LR and LG to have any prayer of making it well into the 160s.

This and make sure you are implementing the fundamentals when you approach each question and not just answering from "the hip"

Do you guys pretty much just try to habitualize question-type-specific strategies and learn common trap ACs? I think timing is big too. I usually get the first 12-15 questions right, but getting through the final 10 without missing 4-5 is pretty tough. Also, how many questions did you do by type?? And just the more common types, or did you do pretty much every type as much as possible?

Literally read the LR Bible from Powerscore (I haven't tried other books so I can't speak for other books). For every question type, read what the common answers and wrong answers are and internalize. Read it again and again until you have a good grasp of what you need to be looking out for. The book lays it out for you pretty well. For reference, I made shorthand notes for each question type so I wouldn't have to read it more than like 3 times. Then I just went back and reviewed those notes right before doing sets of the specific question type. After a while of doing the same question type, it should just click for 90-95% of the questions. It's pretty systematic. Once you have a base of the fundamentals, then move on to doing full sections. I used PTs 1-20 to practice this skill. I did that twice and felt I had a solid grasp. I went from getting only 7-8 RIGHT on each LR section to sometimes getting -0. It just also really depends on the test too and your mindset. I think the hardest part of it all is having the motivation to sit and do this over and over without getting bored and giving up. I think that's what separates high scorers from low scorers. Unless you have a natural gift for thinking the way LSAT wants you to think, which most people don't, you have to be incredibly disciplined and motivated to get to missing -2-4.
To miss that few on the LR, you will have to get to a point where you are no longer consciously stopping and thinking about the question stem and where you have a firm understanding of the overall structure of the argument. I would advise you to practice this method until you sincerely feel you're at that level. Once you start finishing LR with 5-7 minutes to spare, I'd say you're in great shape and you have practiced enough. :)

And to answer your question, you should practice every single question type and also concentrate on your weaknesses, which varies from person to person.

Thank you. I agree with you. It really is a grind, and I doubt most people put in the work that people who post on forums like this do. I have the LSAT Trainer already, so I will probably just go back and review the section for each LR type before drilling lots of problems of each type. LR is such a big part of this test. LG gets so much attention, but it's easy to forget that LR is half of the LSAT.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:Yeah it's definitely more inferential - and it's way more detail creeps!! My propensity for stupid mistakes is amplified here...

Are you talking about the dowsing passage? Just making sure you didn't mistype S1 instead of LR1 (Section 2).

Yes!! Sorry meant LR1 so Section 2!! Please kindly share your wisdom grandpapy!

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:37 pm

239840 wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
239840 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:

Thank you. I agree with you. It really is a grind, and I doubt most people put in the work that people who post on forums like this do. I have the LSAT Trainer already, so I will probably just go back and review the section for each LR type before drilling lots of problems of each type. LR is such a big part of this test. LG gets so much attention, but it's easy to forget that LR is half of the LSAT.

I've just been posting nonstop this past week to occupy myself and not think about LSAT or burn out from manically doing more questions. LOL

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

LOLOL so i go -6 on the first LR from PT80 but I went -2 on the second LR.....:. I’m both laughing and crying rn. Considering it’s 8:40pm I’m gonna call it a day and probs finish reviewing these sections tomorrow.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:LOLOL so i go -6 on the first LR from PT80 but I went -2 on the second LR.....:. I’m both laughing and crying rn. Considering it’s 8:40pm I’m gonna call it a day and probs finish reviewing these sections tomorrow.

Same, except for PT 81. Idk what was up with that LR section???

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:

Yes!! Sorry meant LR1 so Section 2!! Please kindly share your wisdom grandpapy!

[+] Spoiler
Based on the stimulus we know that we have extensive transmission lines but the natural gas pipeline runs by only three of the large bodies of water and the residents would oppose construction near those three bodies of water.

A. Future electrical needs will need to be met by alternatives to natural gas power
C. No site would be suitable for constructing a natural gas powered electrical station unless the exiting system of natural gas pipelines is expanded.

In evaluating A. it's saying that the only way future electrical needs can be met is alternatives. We can counter this with the stimulus which says that the pipelines run by only 3 of the large bodies of water in the country and the residents of those three bodies oppose construction which includes new electric generation stations. This implies there are more areas that could be suitable sites which may not have residents that oppose construction.

C. Basically builds on what I say for A in that for it to be suitable for a natural gas powered generation station, it would have to be somewhere else with a body of water where residents don't oppose construction and the natural gas pipeline would need to be expanded to that site in order to work.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 pm

239840 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
lemon_lyman wrote:

Judging by your previous posts and the thread you made a month or so ago about your prep, I think you're very well prepared and that you're fully capable of dominating Saturday. Don't underestimate the impressiveness of hitting 170+ at all, even it's a retake of a test you'd previously taken. Get off of here and relax!

Hey this was so nice. Thank you for that :)

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Yes!! Sorry meant LR1 so Section 2!! Please kindly share your wisdom grandpapy!

Also, for B the stim says nothing about when residents would move. We know they don't like it (a new gas plant near them), but maybe they'll just deal'

Hopefully that helps :D

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:Yes!! Sorry meant LR1 so Section 2!! Please kindly share your wisdom grandpapy!

Also, for B the stim says nothing about when residents would move. We know they don't like it (a new gas plant near them), but maybe they'll just deal'

Yea so kind of a funny story in that I actually mistyped 81 when I meant to say 80 but I’ll totally keep these explanations in mind for when I do 81 tomorrow... sorry y’all my brains clearly fried.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:

Yea so kind of a funny story in that I actually mistyped 81 when I meant to say 80 but I’ll totally keep these explanations in mind for when I do 81 tomorrow... sorry y’all my brains clearly fried.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:34 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:

Soooo, just to make sure, is this the one about the politicians?

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 am

239840 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:

Others have given great responses to this already but I just wanted to add one more thing. Mike Kim has a great breakdown for all LR sections by question type: http://www.thelsattrainer.com/assets/20 ... akdown.pdf . I used about 15 PTs to split up LR and drill by question type before moving into full section drilling. Extremely helpful like others have said.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 am

24 hours

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am

-0 on retakes of an LR and RC section...will do an LG this afternoon and can definitively say it will be the last timed prep section of my life.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 am

Didnt really do much of anything yesterday. Was supposed to drill some mroe of my weaker areas but ended up just reviewing PT80 and was caught up in other real-world things all day. Felt like this was good though and I was able to get a full 8 hrs sleep.

Today i am going to do a section of each and then just chill out i.e. workout, meditate, read, have a cigar, maybe a jacuzzi

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:57 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote: maybe a jacuzzi

Can we switch apartments?

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am

etramak wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote: maybe a jacuzzi

Can we switch apartments?

I second that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?