The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
23%
167-169
16%
11%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
7%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 115

kkilambi

New

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kkilambi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 pm

I gave PT81 LR3 yesterday night and got a -7. I just don't know what to do anymore.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

kkilambi wrote:I gave PT81 LR3 yesterday night and got a -7. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I went -5 and -6 on it yesterday. I'm gonna B.R. it today and just try and see what the shift in reasoning/difficulty is between these really new ones and the mid-late 70s

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

kkilambi wrote:I gave PT81 LR3 yesterday night and got a -7. I just don't know what to do anymore.

The LR on that test gave fits to a lot of people (including me). In fact you can probably go back a page or two in this thread to see other people had some trouble with it in the past couple weeks. I reviewed it and went on to do another LR section a couple days later and returned to my regular scoring immediately. I hate to make excuses for individual PT's, but 81 seems to have a pretty broad consensus that the curve on it was absurd for its level of difficulty.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Also I'm in the middle of BRing PT81 and the inferential thoughts passage has to be one of the hardest passages ever, in terms of content.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Postby JamesBlahDeBlah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 pm

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:Also I'm in the middle of BRing PT81 and the inferential thoughts passage has to be one of the hardest passages ever, in terms of content.

Someone else pointed out (I can't remember if it was here or not) that it's a difficult read not just because of subject matter but word choice. They throw a lot of "in" alliteration in that makes reading it a chore.

kkilambi

New

Postby kkilambi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Zero Hedge wrote:

The LR on that test gave fits to a lot of people (including me). In fact you can probably go back a page or two in this thread to see other people had some trouble with it in the past couple weeks. I reviewed it and went on to do another LR section a couple days later and returned to my regular scoring immediately. I hate to make excuses for individual PT's, but 81 seems to have a pretty broad consensus that the curve on it was absurd for its level of difficulty.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

The problem is that, for every one of those questions, the right answers were glaring at me once the time pressure was gone. I don't know why I couldn't get it right under timed conditions. I felt rushed and I believe I made mistakes primarily because I could not focus. I don't know how to avoid it during the test.

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm

kkilambi wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

Thanks for the inputs guys.

The problem is that, for every one of those questions, the right answers were glaring at me once the time pressure was gone. I don't know why I couldn't get it right under timed conditions. I felt rushed and I believe I made mistakes primarily because I could not focus. I don't know how to avoid it during the test.

That's usually the case when you get way more wrong in a section than normal. You go back and BR it and wonder what the hell you were thinking on those questions. My advice would be to look at some LR sections you've done recently that are more around your usual score and check out how you got the questions correct that were the same difficulty as the ones you got wrong on 81. It helps to assure yourself that these are questions you normally get and there's no use in trying to extrapolate on the results of one section with a couple days to the test, especially if it was an exception to your normal performance.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Zero Hedge wrote:

I went -9 on 81’s LR which is the most I’ve ever missed on a LR. It was tricky

vikingrunner

New

Postby vikingrunner » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Did the RC and LG sections of PT 79 this morning because I was too lazy for a full PT and I wanted to prepare for the worst...yeah. -9 on RC, and -5 on LG...only missed one on the virus game though, mostly because I ran out of time for the last Q. The LG issue was mostly stupid mistakes (one I think I just bubbled the wrong answer). I'm just going to relax and stay fresh until Saturday.

I'm freaking out more because the package of sliced cheese I used for my sandwich for lunch yesterday had visible mold on it today and I'm now convinced I will be projectile vomiting all over the test center.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:Also I'm in the middle of BRing PT81 and the inferential thoughts passage has to be one of the hardest passages ever, in terms of content.

Someone else pointed out (I can't remember if it was here or not) that it's a difficult read not just because of subject matter but word choice. They throw a lot of "in" alliteration in that makes reading it a chore.

Damn, now that you mention it that makes total sense. I found it really interesting but it was the type of passage where you really had to pause and digest what you just read.

paperworkjim

New

Postby paperworkjim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:49 pm

kiklavan wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

I went -9 on 81’s LR which is the most I’ve ever missed on a LR. It was tricky

Let's all just thank the LSAT gods that we did not sit for June 2017 administration. :P

I do think though that as hard as the test was, a lot of the questions were doable. I just spent three full days, of over 5 hours each, reviewing the shit out of PT81. Hopefully I can put that test fully to rest.

lemon_lyman

New

Postby lemon_lyman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:16 pm

I know there are posts about this already, but did anyone honk PT82s LR is also way more difficult? Similar to how PT 81s LR was also very difficult? Even then the late 70s seemed much easier for me. What do you think makes those questions so hard? I’m trying to pinpoint it before the test :/

I wonder if the LR is going to look like that on Saturday too.......

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 pm

lemon_lyman wrote:I know there are posts about this already, but did anyone honk PT82s LR is also way more difficult? Similar to how PT 81s LR was also very difficult? Even then the late 70s seemed much easier for me. What do you think makes those questions so hard? I’m trying to pinpoint it before the test :/

I wonder if the LR is going to look like that on Saturday too.......

Yeah i felt like the 80s + was especially noticeable in regards to increase in difficulty level. There were some tough questions on all 3 tests

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Looks like I won't be taking it Saturday. Could assume that I'd not make a silly mistake again in LG and that LR will be easier Saturday (than PT 81), but I think that'd be excessively generous. If I were doing well in RC and LG already it'd be a different story. Good luck to you all!

LieutenantElmo

New

Postby LieutenantElmo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 pm

239840 wrote:Looks like I won't be taking it Saturday. Could assume that I'd not make a silly mistake again in LG and that LR will be easier Saturday (than PT 81), but I think that'd be excessively generous. If I were doing well in RC and LG already it'd be a different story. Good luck to you all!

But we need you D: .... why not take and then retake? What could hurt you? I mean you already spent the dough

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 pm

LieutenantElmo wrote:
239840 wrote:Looks like I won't be taking it Saturday. Could assume that I'd not make a silly mistake again in LG and that LR will be easier Saturday (than PT 81), but I think that'd be excessively generous. If I were doing well in RC and LG already it'd be a different story. Good luck to you all!

But we need you D: .... why not take and then retake? What could hurt you? I mean you already spent the dough

Seconded. If you don't feel great about it after section 5 just write down the cancel and move on. Hell, with LSAC's new rules maybe just swallow the doubt and wait for the score anyways. It wouldn't hurt to get experience in a real test setting anyways.

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Zero Hedge wrote:
LieutenantElmo wrote:

Seconded. If you don't feel great about it after section 5 just write down the cancel and move on. Hell, with LSAC's new rules maybe just swallow the doubt and wait for the score anyways. It wouldn't hurt to get experience in a real test setting anyways.

Last edited by 239840 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Ugh you guys I'm freaking out. I really don't want to bomb and have to delay a cycle. :cry:

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Last edited by 239840 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:15 pm

of course I get a bad tooth ache 2 days before the test

this shit better go away!

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

239840 wrote:How did some of you studs get from 9-12 wrong in LR to 0-5?

Since I'm apparently not smart enough to miss fewer than 5-7+ questions in the LSAT's RC section, I'll have to do pretty well in both LR and LG to have any prayer of making it well into the 160s.

repetition repetition repetition :)
preferably repetition by type before repetition by sets

LieutenantElmo

New

Postby LieutenantElmo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Ladies and gentleman, judgement day is soon upon us.... May the LSAT gods have mercy on our souls

*titanic music playing in background*

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm

damask_rain wrote:

Since I'm apparently not smart enough to miss fewer than 5-7+ questions in the LSAT's RC section, I'll have to do pretty well in both LR and LG to have any prayer of making it well into the 160s.

This and make sure you are implementing the fundamentals when you approach each question and not just answering from "the hip"

lemon_lyman

New

Postby lemon_lyman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:56 pm

kiklavan wrote:Ugh you guys I'm freaking out. I really don't want to bomb and have to delay a cycle. :cry:

I feel the EXACT same way. I really don't want to delay a cycle either. All we can do at this point is to continue to build our confidence. We've studied for this. We are prepared. We just need to go in and take it. the test will be over before we know it.

New

Postby 239840 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:

This and make sure you are implementing the fundamentals when you approach each question and not just answering from "the hip"

Do you guys pretty much just try to habitualize question-type-specific strategies and learn common trap ACs? I think timing is big too. I usually get the first 12-15 questions right, but getting through the final 10 without missing 4-5 is pretty tough. Also, how many questions did you do by type?? And just the more common types, or did you do pretty much every type as much as possible?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?