The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
11%
164-167
23%
167-169
16%
11%
171-172
11%
172-174
8%
7%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 114

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:50 pm

gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang

somethingElse

Gold

Postby somethingElse » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm

badger badger badger badger badger badger

somethingElse

Gold

Postby somethingElse » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm

MUSHROOM

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Mikey wrote:gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Damn just re-watched the 7Sage video for the virus game and I feel like a dumbass for freezing up on it

peege

New

Postby peege » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Anyone else finally away from your families and trying to get back into studying today?

peege

New

Postby peege » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 pm

239840 wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:is there a benchmark guide somewhere to RC?? I found this one from manhattan prep -https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog/2009/07/13/speeding-up-on-the-lsat/. i try to get the first passage done in under five mins, but end up getting tripped up whenever there's more questions per passage.

I'm really trying to improve my RC score last minute. I'm missing way too many. Something I wonder is, are you better off attempting to "speed read" your way through the passage (let's say you finish it in maybe 1:30-2:00) at a slow enough pace to allow you to understand the structure, or is it better to read slowly and try to absorb as much as you can in 3-4 minutes?? I tend to like to spend time on the questions, so I worry that the latter approach is a bad idea. I really don't want to have to skip/guess on a passage. Like you said, on passages with more questions, the latter approach seems particularly problematic. But I wonder if not subvocalizing impacts retention all that much.

Taking notes next to each paragraph also helped me tremendously! Sometimes you feel like you don't need to do it but even forcing yourself to write one summarizing word next to a change in tone or viewpoint will make answering the questions so much easier. I practiced that for a few passages and after a few PTs speed came naturally.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am

so after reviewing my PT 82 RC I realized I only got -2 on the judges passage when doing it timed. -1 BR but omfg that is amazing I am so happy and even after review I still don't understand the passages but doing the A --> questions, B --> questions thing just lets me eliminate all of the wrong answers without having to go too hard on comp RC.

going to go over judges again though 1 more time though (no, I don't like to torture myself if that's what you are wondering)

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 am

What do you guys recommend for warming up on test day? New questions, or old questions you know the answer to already? Id like to use new questions, but Ive heard people mention not using new questions because then you run the risk of getting one or more wrong on the morning of the test and killing confidence. Just thought Id see what a group of savvy test takers had to say before putting together my warmup materials.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:47 am

MercW07 wrote:What do you guys recommend for warming up on test day? New questions, or old questions you know the answer to already? Id like to use new questions, but Ive heard people mention not using new questions because then you run the risk of getting one or more wrong on the morning of the test and killing confidence. Just thought Id see what a group of savvy test takers had to say before putting together my warmup materials.

I've always warmed up with used materials. usually 2 full pages of LR questions and 1 RC passage.

but what do I know, I've taken this bitch multiple times already :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though, I do think using used questions is better than new because of that reason of killing confidence. idk, that's just my opinion though.

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 am

MercW07 wrote:What do you guys recommend for warming up on test day? New questions, or old questions you know the answer to already? Id like to use new questions, but Ive heard people mention not using new questions because then you run the risk of getting one or more wrong on the morning of the test and killing confidence. Just thought Id see what a group of savvy test takers had to say before putting together my warmup materials.

I think most people warm up to gain confidence and establish themselves into the "test-taking mode". Personally, I think all sections begin at the bottom of the difficulty curve which lets you do this anyways, so I'd rather utilize the early questions as warm up as opposed to the risk of running into fatigue during the test by adding more questions before you even get to the test itself.

That being said, if you're going to warm up, I would suggest doing old questions. I see only a downside to doing say the first ten questions of a new LR section only to find you've gotten a couple wrong. Those ten questions aren't going to change your strategy of approaching the test since it's literally minutes away, so all it can do is hurt your confidence. But doing older question allows you to do the two things I mentioned at the start: gain confidence (because you'll get these correct) and get into the test-taking mode.

Just my opinion.

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 am

Mikey wrote:

I've always warmed up with used materials. usually 2 full pages of LR questions and 1 RC passage.

but what do I know, I've taken this bitch multiple times already :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though, I do think using used questions is better than new because of that reason of killing confidence. idk, that's just my opinion though.

Looks like Mikey beat me to the punch with less words. +1

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 am

Took PT 79 a couple days ago and holy shit is that hard. I had never looked at it before, but I knew of the infamous virus game. Seriously, fuck that game and Fuck Eileen Grey. Totally ruined my confidence a week out from the real test :x Now it's time to gain it back again hopefully... How do you people usually bounce back from a test that you underperformed on?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:Took PT 79 a couple days ago and holy shit is that hard. I had never looked at it before, but I knew of the infamous virus game. Seriously, fuck that game and Fuck Eileen Grey. Totally ruined my confidence a week out from the real test :x Now it's time to gain it back again hopefully... How do you people usually bounce back from a test that you underperformed on?

Just stay focused. That was a very tough PT. Shrug it off, try to gather what you can from it, and move forward xD

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 am

ok so my brain just went to complete shit and I forgot what the negation of 'any' is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

is it 'none' or 'some' ? or did my brain just complete fuck it up lol

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:24 am

Mikey wrote:ok so my brain just went to complete shit and I forgot what the negation of 'any' is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

pretty sure its none since any encompasses everything

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am

thanks!

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:ok so my brain just went to complete shit and I forgot what the negation of 'any' is :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

pretty sure its none since any encompasses everything

I think it’s some guys. Any is basically the same as all.

“Any person who is X is B.”
“Some people who are X are not B.”

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 pm

decided to take my final PT today. 76.

don't know my score but I thought RC was a bit hard and LR had some pretty tough/annoying questions. LG was easy although one of the games had a rule I was kind of confused on but figured out after about 2 questions lmao

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Mikey wrote:decided to take my final PT today. 76.

don't know my score but I thought RC was a bit hard and LR had some pretty tough/annoying questions. LG was easy although one of the games had a rule I was kind of confused on but figured out after about 2 questions lmao

Game 3 with the rule about to 2 G's? I read that one wrong and it totally wrecked my score

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:02 pm

MercW07 wrote:

Game 3 with the rule about to 2 G's? I read that one wrong and it totally wrecked my score

it was game 2 actually. I was confused about something said in the stimulus and something else in the rules list that made me go "wait what?" lol. figured it out though

paperworkjim

New

Postby paperworkjim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Well, that puts it to rest. Haven't scored this low on LR in months -- so I'm gonna postpone until February and hone down those skills, and make things more consistent. Honestly, the curve on this one is brutal. -9 for a 170.

PT81
RC -3
LR1 -5
LR2 -0
LG - 1

kiklavan

Bronze

Postby kiklavan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 pm

paperworkjim wrote:Well, that puts it to rest. Haven't scored this low on LR in months -- so I'm gonna postpone until February and hone down those skills, and make things more consistent. Honestly, the curve on this one is brutal. -9 for a 170.

PT81
RC -3
LR1 -5
LR2 -0
LG - 1

LR rocked my world on this one too & I got the same score on the other sections as you did. You're not alone!

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm

paperworkjim wrote:Well, that puts it to rest. Haven't scored this low on LR in months -- so I'm gonna postpone until February and hone down those skills, and make things more consistent. Honestly, the curve on this one is brutal. -9 for a 170.

PT81
RC -3
LR1 -5
LR2 -0
LG - 1

I got a 169 on this one. Killed my confidence last week. Haha

damask_rain

New

Postby damask_rain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm

MercW07 wrote:

Same here! I got -4 on LG for that PT, but did really well on the other sections so managed to pull my regular.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?