The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4
4%
160-163
12
11%
164-167
26
23%
167-169
18
16%
170
13
11%
171-172
12
11%
172-174
9
8%
175
8
7%
176-179
5
4%
180
7
6%
 
Total votes: 114

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

saffles wrote:How does one eliminate/identify a trap answer? My elimination game for LR is almost on point, but whenever I’m down to two likely answers I always choose the wrong one = =;;


I think at that point it's looking at how the answers are worded - for the sake of time, i think the usual trick is to choose the answer most similar to the conclusion tho try to be more critical than taht if you have the time!

User avatar
Chaimthegreat

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Chaimthegreat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:26 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:
kiklavan wrote:How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it


A lot - prolly through Friday tbh but on Friday I’m probs gonna just do logic games. I’ve always been the type to study up until the exam and it’s wkrked for me for the last time.


I plan on taking another 5 section PT monday and then just a 4 section Weds and then just reviewing and drilling in between. Tapering down as the week goes on, but adj accordingly so im not super stressed. I dont want to burnt out by friday, so how much i taper down will depend on how i feel as the week goes, but really my goal is to stay at 70ish% my typical workload. Easy going Peak Week.

And on a similar note: going through feeling super burnt out and motivated all the time. Its annoying af. As long as I feel motivated and in destroyer mindset sat morning, Im all game.

For me-my biggest goal for the week is to consistently continue getting up early when i have to for test day, and getting full nights rest by going to bed earlier than im used too as well.


Ugh I can relate to everything you just said. My brain is motivated but I'm so burnt out. 6 months of this shit full time is my absolute limit. And I've been struggling to sleep early too. I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill Friday just to play it safe.


Same! I know your struggle as I have been studying full-time 6 mo too. Ive been taking this stuff called "MidNite" for like two weeks to help me go to sleep early since im a night owl and its pretty hard for me to go to bed before midnight and I wanted to get a full nights sleep. Its really good. Its got a small dose of melatonin and some other herbs and i havent woken up drowsy.


Might have to try this. Ive been drinking zzzquill to help me sleep recently, but I wake up feeling a bit drowsy occasionally


I find melatonin works best. Take 2 about 30 minutes before you got to sleep. Unlike zzzquill, it doesn't force you asleep, but rather syncs up your melatonin cycle for night time. The results are not as immediate, but you can take it every night, it puts your body in rest mode, and its non drowsy.

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:27 pm

is there a benchmark guide somewhere to RC?? I found this one from manhattan prep -https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog/2009/07/13/speeding-up-on-the-lsat/. i try to get the first passage done in under five mins, but end up getting tripped up whenever there's more questions per passage.

User avatar
saffles

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby saffles » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:42 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:
saffles wrote:How does one eliminate/identify a trap answer? My elimination game for LR is almost on point, but whenever I’m down to two likely answers I always choose the wrong one = =;;


I think at that point it's looking at how the answers are worded - for the sake of time, i think the usual trick is to choose the answer most similar to the conclusion tho try to be more critical than taht if you have the time!


Thank you for the advice! I’ll keep it in mind for d-day

kiklavan

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:52 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:
kiklavan wrote:How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it


A lot - prolly through Friday tbh but on Friday I’m probs gonna just do logic games. I’ve always been the type to study up until the exam and it’s wkrked for me for the last time.


I plan on taking another 5 section PT monday and then just a 4 section Weds and then just reviewing and drilling in between. Tapering down as the week goes on, but adj accordingly so im not super stressed. I dont want to burnt out by friday, so how much i taper down will depend on how i feel as the week goes, but really my goal is to stay at 70ish% my typical workload. Easy going Peak Week.

And on a similar note: going through feeling super burnt out and motivated all the time. Its annoying af. As long as I feel motivated and in destroyer mindset sat morning, Im all game.

For me-my biggest goal for the week is to consistently continue getting up early when i have to for test day, and getting full nights rest by going to bed earlier than im used too as well.


Ugh I can relate to everything you just said. My brain is motivated but I'm so burnt out. 6 months of this shit full time is my absolute limit. And I've been struggling to sleep early too. I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill Friday just to play it safe.


Same! I know your struggle as I have been studying full-time 6 mo too. Ive been taking this stuff called "MidNite" for like two weeks to help me go to sleep early since im a night owl and its pretty hard for me to go to bed before midnight and I wanted to get a full nights sleep. Its really good. Its got a small dose of melatonin and some other herbs and i havent woken up drowsy.


Might have to try this. Ive been drinking zzzquill to help me sleep recently, but I wake up feeling a bit drowsy occasionally


Good to know! I'm going to buy MidNite and see how it works. Btw Unisom tabs will knock you out pretty well too. I took it for September and the drowsiness wasn't really an issue for me

User avatar
239840

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby 239840 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:59 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:is there a benchmark guide somewhere to RC?? I found this one from manhattan prep -https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog/2009/07/13/speeding-up-on-the-lsat/. i try to get the first passage done in under five mins, but end up getting tripped up whenever there's more questions per passage.


I'm really trying to improve my RC score last minute. I'm missing way too many. Something I wonder is, are you better off attempting to "speed read" your way through the passage (let's say you finish it in maybe 1:30-2:00) at a slow enough pace to allow you to understand the structure, or is it better to read slowly and try to absorb as much as you can in 3-4 minutes?? I tend to like to spend time on the questions, so I worry that the latter approach is a bad idea. I really don't want to have to skip/guess on a passage. Like you said, on passages with more questions, the latter approach seems particularly problematic. But I wonder if not subvocalizing impacts retention all that much.

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby littlewing67 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:56 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paperworkjim

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby paperworkjim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:59 pm

239840 wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:is there a benchmark guide somewhere to RC?? I found this one from manhattan prep -https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog/2009/07/13/speeding-up-on-the-lsat/. i try to get the first passage done in under five mins, but end up getting tripped up whenever there's more questions per passage.


I'm really trying to improve my RC score last minute. I'm missing way too many. Something I wonder is, are you better off attempting to "speed read" your way through the passage (let's say you finish it in maybe 1:30-2:00) at a slow enough pace to allow you to understand the structure, or is it better to read slowly and try to absorb as much as you can in 3-4 minutes?? I tend to like to spend time on the questions, so I worry that the latter approach is a bad idea. I really don't want to have to skip/guess on a passage. Like you said, on passages with more questions, the latter approach seems particularly problematic. But I wonder if not subvocalizing impacts retention all that much.


Can't emphasize enough how much switching from the former to the latter approach has changed my RC game. I used to speed read, get through everything in 2 minutes -- and still have to go to the passage again. Now, I slow down enormously and often re-read tough passages, taking about 3-4 minutes with each. Ever since switching, I've gone -0 on my last 4 RC sections (all in the 70s, including the infamous Eileen Gray).

I think this is probably because this is how I normally retain information when reading something in real life. Just do what feels natural to you, but retain the structure focus that the LSAT demands.

paperworkjim

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby paperworkjim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Really pumped I went -1 on RC (Personal Record) on PT81 yesterday! Hoping for RC to be Section1 next weekend as I think just being super fresh helped me a ton with that. I also did a hard RC as an experimental for Section 5 when i was tired af and went -4 so Im in that sweet spot.

Idk recently i started having trouble with NA Questions again... Ive re-read the MH LR for this and Trainer, but may visit the Bible just to quickly see if anything in there provides an epiphany of clarity again. I went -3 and -4 on PT81 and missed I think 2 NAs in both (1 of them really easy). I think im overthinking them... Need to get over that lack-of-clarity with NA because its consistently causing me to score -3-5 in LR which puts me into the upper-160, lower 170 range where I really want to be in the mid 170 range which i have scored plenty of times. I just noticed on my last two as RC got better I improved my weaker points in LR and then all of sudden started overlooking Assumption questions. #theneverendingbattle

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Ugh I can relate to everything you just said. My brain is motivated but I'm so burnt out. 6 months of this shit full time is my absolute limit. And I've been struggling to sleep early too. I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill Friday just to play it safe.


Same! I know your struggle as I have been studying full-time 6 mo too. Ive been taking this stuff called "MidNite" for like two weeks to help me go to sleep early since im a night owl and its pretty hard for me to go to bed before midnight and I wanted to get a full nights sleep. Its really good. Its got a small dose of melatonin and some other herbs and i havent woken up drowsy.


Might have to try this. Ive been drinking zzzquill to help me sleep recently, but I wake up feeling a bit drowsy occasionally


I find melatonin works best. Take 2 about 30 minutes before you got to sleep. Unlike zzzquill, it doesn't force you asleep, but rather syncs up your melatonin cycle for night time. The results are not as immediate, but you can take it every night, it puts your body in rest mode, and its non drowsy.


For the Sept test I went for a full body massage around 7 PM the night before and when I got home I knocked OUT and slept like a baby. I usually can't sleep if I have anxiety but it really helped. I was feeling sleepy right after I left the place.


I definitely recommend this blend because when I took reg melatonin I would wake up drowsy if I didnt get a full 8hrs and zzzquil same thing. Ive been testing this stuff for 2 weeks and while the melatonin dose is only 1.5, which is low, it does the trick. I find if i take the pill and start reading or just relaxing watching TV i can be out early w/i 30 min.

P.S. I am a night owl and someone who can sleep for days so: 1. Falling asleep before midnight is hard af for me and 2. waking up early on regular study days is tough without a natural 8+ hr sleep haha. And with this stuff Im fine. Up by 6 AM and in bed by 11:30ish. Im going to try to go to bed a little earlier everyday this week though.

damask_rain

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby damask_rain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:21 pm

paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm

damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.

damask_rain

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby damask_rain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.


For the past 10 PTs that I have taken, my score has generally been determined by LG (constantly jumping between 171 and 174). Whenever there's a really hard game I tend to get 3 wrong usually because I don't even finish it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

paperworkjim

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby paperworkjim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm

damask_rain wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.


For the past 10 PTs that I have taken, my score has generally been determined by LG (constantly jumping between 171 and 174). Whenever there's a really hard game I tend to get 3 wrong usually because I don't even finish it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:


All this is making me want to not postpone lol. But I think the problem for me is even when there is no Misc game, I will usually miss 1-2 and be really struggling to finish the section on time.

damask_rain

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby damask_rain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:05 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.


For the past 10 PTs that I have taken, my score has generally been determined by LG (constantly jumping between 171 and 174). Whenever there's a really hard game I tend to get 3 wrong usually because I don't even finish it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:


All this is making me want to not postpone lol. But I think the problem for me is even when there is no Misc game, I will usually miss 1-2 and be really struggling to finish the section on time.


You should just go with your intuition :D

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:42 pm

damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.


For the past 10 PTs that I have taken, my score has generally been determined by LG (constantly jumping between 171 and 174). Whenever there's a really hard game I tend to get 3 wrong usually because I don't even finish it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:


All this is making me want to not postpone lol. But I think the problem for me is even when there is no Misc game, I will usually miss 1-2 and be really struggling to finish the section on time.


You should just go with your intuition :D


I def recommend full-proofing games by type, redoing and foolproofing ones you just did in a PT so you are 100% confident on them and and re-doing old LG sections. By doing this i am able to consistently go into the last game with 12-15 minutes left over so i can process and brute force a weird miscellaneous game or struggle with a tough in/out or grouping game. Also, a general LG mindset principle i learned from fool-proofing and watching JYs videos on 7sage is Speed and Shooting from the hip can reward you but you have to be careful. What i mean by this is kinda logical guessing on subst questions (which are known to eat mass time; I hate to say guess but you know what i mean if you watch his vids. you pretty much look and see if an AC choice or two pops out, you test those, and hopefully can select one of them 80% confidently) and reviewing at the end and not proving all wrong answers false on ALL questions. This affords you time in the bank at the end so you will most likely go -0 on the hardest game. but, if you arent careful enough you can get 1 or 2 stupid easy questions wrong by just going too quickly. Recently, if there isnt a whack miscellaneous game... after finishing game 4 I can go back and review the first two games on some questions I shot without "Missile lock" so-to-speak and have caught a mistake before or just verified I was right. my average LG on the last 10 PTS (from 70s and 2 60s PTS) is -0.6 and my worst performance has been -2 in like the last 20 PTS prob.

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Did PT75 today, so on a quick break before I start blind reviewing it. Sped through the first three games and had a little over 15 mins left for the last game. Initial thoughts: oh 5 questions, simple enough. Realized on the second question I misinterpreted a rule. I'm still not entirely sure I understood how to diagram it right but I am pretty sure I got the right answers based on the rules. Guess we'll see when I check the answers for this game.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Did PT75 today, so on a quick break before I start blind reviewing it. Sped through the first three games and had a little over 15 mins left for the last game. Initial thoughts: oh 5 questions, simple enough. Realized on the second question I misinterpreted a rule. I'm still not entirely sure I understood how to diagram it right but I am pretty sure I got the right answers based on the rules. Guess we'll see when I check the answers for this game.

calling a 172

kiklavan

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:17 pm

I just did PT 43's RC randomly (albeit running off of 5 hours of sleep) thinking it would give me a confidence boost since it's a pre- 70s RC section. WRONG. -7. Officially at the point where screwing up sections is terrifying :shock:

paperworkjim

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby paperworkjim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
damask_rain wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Decided to postpone until Feb today. I am still hemorrhaging 2-3 points every PT on LG, which is pretty unacceptable seeing as I want to get over a 175. I've been PTing in the 172-175 range despite losing 2-3 points (sometimes more) to LG every single time, so I hope that I can master LG in the next couple of months and be averaging in the 175+ range before test-day.


I am on your boat, but I don't want to postpone to Feb. I am hoping to just get lucky on Saturday. Sucks because I actually spent so much time on LG. Today I finally took the PT with the infamous virus game and missed the last 3 questions because I ran out of time. LG is so unpredictable when it comes to weird games.


LG is really annoying because you can out of nowhere go -4 which if you score your average in in all the other sections that can easily take you out of your range. Hoping for an easy LG section. I feel like its mostly about the cards you're dealt.


For the past 10 PTs that I have taken, my score has generally been determined by LG (constantly jumping between 171 and 174). Whenever there's a really hard game I tend to get 3 wrong usually because I don't even finish it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:


All this is making me want to not postpone lol. But I think the problem for me is even when there is no Misc game, I will usually miss 1-2 and be really struggling to finish the section on time.


You should just go with your intuition :D


I def recommend full-proofing games by type, redoing and foolproofing ones you just did in a PT so you are 100% confident on them and and re-doing old LG sections. By doing this i am able to consistently go into the last game with 12-15 minutes left over so i can process and brute force a weird miscellaneous game or struggle with a tough in/out or grouping game. Also, a general LG mindset principle i learned from fool-proofing and watching JYs videos on 7sage is Speed and Shooting from the hip can reward you but you have to be careful. What i mean by this is kinda logical guessing on subst questions (which are known to eat mass time; I hate to say guess but you know what i mean if you watch his vids. you pretty much look and see if an AC choice or two pops out, you test those, and hopefully can select one of them 80% confidently) and reviewing at the end and not proving all wrong answers false on ALL questions. This affords you time in the bank at the end so you will most likely go -0 on the hardest game. but, if you arent careful enough you can get 1 or 2 stupid easy questions wrong by just going too quickly. Recently, if there isnt a whack miscellaneous game... after finishing game 4 I can go back and review the first two games on some questions I shot without "Missile lock" so-to-speak and have caught a mistake before or just verified I was right. my average LG on the last 10 PTS (from 70s and 2 60s PTS) is -0.6 and my worst performance has been -2 in like the last 20 PTS prob.


Yeah honestly I am no where near this level right now. Do you think I should postpone given that fact? My average incorrect on LG is -3 with a 173.3 PT avg overall. I think -2 is the median, but it is usually a struggle and a mess to even get that, and I often leave the section feeling unconfident about how I did. I feel like I can perfect it and not leave points on the table.

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Mikey wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:Did PT75 today, so on a quick break before I start blind reviewing it. Sped through the first three games and had a little over 15 mins left for the last game. Initial thoughts: oh 5 questions, simple enough. Realized on the second question I misinterpreted a rule. I'm still not entirely sure I understood how to diagram it right but I am pretty sure I got the right answers based on the rules. Guess we'll see when I check the answers for this game.

calling a 172


Went -0 on LG and -3 on RC but sadly my LR continues to suffer so no 172 for me D:

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:51 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
Yeah honestly I am no where near this level right now. Do you think I should postpone given that fact? My average incorrect on LG is -3 with a 173.3 PT avg overall. I think -2 is the median, but it is usually a struggle and a mess to even get that, and I often leave the section feeling unconfident about how I did. I feel like I can perfect it and not leave points on the table.


Hmm thats tough. Id consider do you have the time to continue studying through Feb, do you care if you sit out this cycle, what take # is this, how much LG have you actually done aka will studying an extra 1.5 -2 mo get you there. Like some ppl for example yours may be LG, but it could be LR/RC where you get pretty close to your maxed out proficiency and it just comes down to test day.. Overstudying could cause you to burn out while leading to no progress, but bottom-line is if you arent confident you will hit your PT average or even perform slightly better on test day than i wouldnt take it. Regardless you have to go in confident or its the kiss of death on this exam. So soul search a bit and see what you think is best. I dont know you or your situation so i dont want to suggest what to do because it is a risk/benefit analysis that you have to evaluate ; For everyone, it is different.

paperworkjim

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby paperworkjim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Yeah honestly I am no where near this level right now. Do you think I should postpone given that fact? My average incorrect on LG is -3 with a 173.3 PT avg overall. I think -2 is the median, but it is usually a struggle and a mess to even get that, and I often leave the section feeling unconfident about how I did. I feel like I can perfect it and not leave points on the table.


Hmm thats tough. Id consider do you have the time to continue studying through Feb, do you care if you sit out this cycle, what take # is this, how much LG have you actually done aka will studying an extra 1.5 -2 mo get you there. Like some ppl for example yours may be LG, but it could be LR/RC where you get pretty close to your maxed out proficiency and it just comes down to test day.. Overstudying could cause you to burn out while leading to no progress, but bottom-line is if you arent confident you will hit your PT average or even perform slightly better on test day than i wouldnt take it. Regardless you have to go in confident or its the kiss of death on this exam. So soul search a bit and see what you think is best. I dont know you and your situation so i dont want to suggest what to do because it is post-poning vs. taking risk/benefit analysis that you have to evaluate ; For everyone, this is different.


Incredible advice man. I really don't feel myself burning out at all. I've been at this test for a while, but I feel like I could keep going. I am scared about losing a cycle -- because I do really want go to law school now. But I think if I take Feb, I can still apply to Y and hopefully S and maybe will get into one of those.

This would be my first take. On RC, I feel I have maxed out proficiency, but I feel I can improve a point or two on LR, and I can for sure perfect that LG with time. I haven't had much time to work on LG because I've feared losing RC/LR but with an extra two months I would be good. I don't feel confident because I seriously feel I would be leaving points on the table in LG.

I think I need to make a damn decision so this is not looming over my head anymore lol.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Yeah honestly I am no where near this level right now. Do you think I should postpone given that fact? My average incorrect on LG is -3 with a 173.3 PT avg overall. I think -2 is the median, but it is usually a struggle and a mess to even get that, and I often leave the section feeling unconfident about how I did. I feel like I can perfect it and not leave points on the table.


Hmm thats tough. Id consider do you have the time to continue studying through Feb, do you care if you sit out this cycle, what take # is this, how much LG have you actually done aka will studying an extra 1.5 -2 mo get you there. Like some ppl for example yours may be LG, but it could be LR/RC where you get pretty close to your maxed out proficiency and it just comes down to test day.. Overstudying could cause you to burn out while leading to no progress, but bottom-line is if you arent confident you will hit your PT average or even perform slightly better on test day than i wouldnt take it. Regardless you have to go in confident or its the kiss of death on this exam. So soul search a bit and see what you think is best. I dont know you and your situation so i dont want to suggest what to do because it is post-poning vs. taking risk/benefit analysis that you have to evaluate ; For everyone, this is different.


Incredible advice man. I really don't feel myself burning out at all. I've been at this test for a while, but I feel like I could keep going. I am scared about losing a cycle -- because I do really want go to law school now. But I think if I take Feb, I can still apply to Y and hopefully S and maybe will get into one of those.

This would be my first take. On RC, I feel I have maxed out proficiency, but I feel I can improve a point or two on LR, and I can for sure perfect that LG with time. I haven't had much time to work on LG because I've feared losing RC/LR but with an extra two months I would be good. I don't feel confident because I seriously feel I would be leaving points on the table in LG.

I think I need to make a damn decision so this is not looming over my head anymore lol.


Haha glad I can help! You'll make the right decision. Given all what you just said it sounds like deep down you want to postpone only thing holding you back is losing out on this cycle, so just sleep on that and decide! Postponing is always the safe play too. It just depends where you are at in your prep & life and how that will be effected and affect everything



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests