The Official December 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4
4%
160-163
12
11%
164-167
26
23%
167-169
18
16%
170
13
11%
171-172
12
11%
172-174
9
8%
175
8
7%
176-179
5
4%
180
7
6%
 
Total votes: 114

User avatar
somethingElse

Gold
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby somethingElse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 am

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:
somethingElse wrote:
PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:165 today on PT79...blah today wasn’t my day, the lib was loud and some jackass was bumping music next to me. For once I killed both LRs and then went like -7 on RC and LG. Oh well time to buckle down, BR it and then crush 80 on Sunday.

Also FUCK the viruses game

Also for an early shitpost I just gotta say I’m jealous of American Thanksgiving. Canadian Thanksgiving is chill and all but your guys looks like a goddamn bonanza.


have you been to Yukon, philly collins?


I have not, have you??


yup it's pretty dope you should go

kiklavan

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Mikey wrote:
kiklavan wrote:Do you guys have a strategy for knowing when to just fucking skip the question in LR? How do you force yourself to do it??
I have this perpetual problem of focusing on a few questions then running out of time on the last few & of course missing some based on lack of time. I feel like I just don't have a grasp of when enough time has been spent & it's time to move on. Thoughts?

If I read it and have 0 idea of what is going on, I do like 3 questions then go back to it. If I still can't figure it out then I leave it for the end


That's smart. Maybe I'll try going back to such questions after a few others but before I even flip the page so I don't risk screwing up my bubbling.


Yeah this or if I read it twice and didnt really comprehend it i just circle it, skip it and keep going. COme back at the end.

yeah, I also want to add the degree of certainty with this type of thing and elaborate more on what I said before.

so if I read it and don't understand AT ALL what I just read there's 1 of 2 things I will do. I usually have a 'feeling' of the toughness of the question in whether me not understanding the question was due to me not focusing correctly on it or bc the Q is truly a very difficult one. If it's the former, I will go back after a few questions and try again, but if the latter I may leave it for the end.

if I end up going back after a few Q's and still don't get it then I'll go back at the end of course and try again if I have time.


Good point. I don't think i always systematically do it this way, unless It happens like two questions in a row.im going to keep this strategy in my mind because I def notice when its a focus issue vis a vis it just being a hard question. Usually also when I notice im having a focus-based issue and just not comprehending a word of a stim Ill close my eyes and take a breath and then re-attack


Thanks guys! Idk why I struggle so much with making the judgment call when I’m actually taking the test.

User avatar
MercW07

Bronze
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby MercW07 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:13 pm

One week from now we'll all be done with the LSAT (some of us forever). I can't believe we've almost made it!

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby littlewing67 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 pm

PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:10 pm

littlewing67 wrote:I think I'm happy? Just finished my Frankenstein test. PT 59 except I changed the RC to the one from PT 55 because for some reason I randomly did the RC in PT 59 but nothing else from the test and I did everything BUT the RC in PT 55 and that was basically all the new material I had left. So I swapped out the RC only and I hope it allows for a fair evaluation.

LG -2
LR -4
EXP LR -0
LR -1
RC (PT 55) -3
-10
173 in PT 59's scale

Also someone interrupted me during my 2nd LR section to ask if they could sit next to me in the library, like seriously do u not see I'm doing something go ahead -___- they broke my concentration and started talking to their friend too

good shit

and you should've told them that your imaginary friend was sitting there who tells you to do crazy things and you hear them in your head. they def wouldn't have minded not sitting next to you.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Mikey wrote:PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

-6 is solid, especially for that section! Crushed it

I took PT81 today gonna BR and grade it i think in the AM

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

-6 is solid, especially for that section! Crushed it

I took PT81 today gonna BR and grade it i think in the AM

I KNOW RIGHT??? especially considering what I got on test day, but that was mostly due to freaking out and fucking up. Idk where the -6 came from, I'm assuming mostly from judges again but I wouldn't be surprised if I got like 1 wrong on each of the other 3 passages then -3 on judges alone. honestly pretty happy with the results, if only I could've done this on test day smfh

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:35 pm

7 more days :(




User avatar
sabraph

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby sabraph » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm

PT 79
S1 -3
S2 -2
S3 -0
S4 -2

Raw 94/Converted 174

I could cry.

D'17 will be my third take. Cancelled J'17 and 164 on S'17 (below my PT average 168-170). I have severely neglected PTs this time around, after my first few PTs (pre S'17 score release) were 170-172s and my goal is a 170. I was freaking out and considering cancelling and living with the 164. My issues were mainly timing so I planned bunch of sections to drill but they kept getting pushed to the side (thank you full-time status & three jobs). I have only taken maybe 3 PTs in October/November and was majorly freaked out that I would lose the skills I built up studying for J'17 and S'17, by not taking more PTs, but apparently not.

Planning on drilling a few RC/LR sections for timing this week, maybe reviewing 7sage strategies for tricky LG just in case, and taking an unscored PT on Thursday, but I'm feeling much more confident going into Saturday and can stop feeling guilty for focusing on my school work.

Best of luck to everyone Saturday! Hoping for difficult RC/easy LG.

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:15 pm

u guys.

do not watch The 100 with days left before the test.

i have this weird need to finish things so watching it was fine during my subway rides but once i got to the final few episodes available on netflix, i ended up binging the rest after studying this entire week. so ofc i'm distracted by the million and one theories of when this show returns.

its been a productive use of my time off.

kiklavan

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:02 pm

How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:12 pm

kiklavan wrote:How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it


A lot - prolly through Friday tbh but on Friday I’m probs gonna just do logic games. I’ve always been the type to study up until the exam and it’s wkrked for me for the last time.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

-6 is solid, especially for that section! Crushed it

I took PT81 today gonna BR and grade it i think in the AM

I KNOW RIGHT??? especially considering what I got on test day, but that was mostly due to freaking out and fucking up. Idk where the -6 came from, I'm assuming mostly from judges again but I wouldn't be surprised if I got like 1 wrong on each of the other 3 passages then -3 on judges alone. honestly pretty happy with the results, if only I could've done this on test day smfh


Haha yeah i agree! -6 isnt ideal but comparatively haha. And yeah the nerves... Judges really just is super ambiguous so prob it was likely from that passage. I never really noticed a difference in old RC v. new RC until today when I did 81 with RC section from PT40 as Exp. Im pretty sure i got maybe -2 wrong max on the exp and i did it as section 5 when i was tired... the passages were much less dense comparatively.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:49 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:
kiklavan wrote:How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it


A lot - prolly through Friday tbh but on Friday I’m probs gonna just do logic games. I’ve always been the type to study up until the exam and it’s wkrked for me for the last time.


I plan on taking another 5 section PT monday and then just a 4 section Weds and then just reviewing and drilling in between. Tapering down as the week goes on, but adj accordingly so im not super stressed. I dont want to burnt out by friday, so how much i taper down will depend on how i feel as the week goes, but really my goal is to stay at 70ish% my typical workload. Easy going Peak Week.

And on a similar note: going through feeling super burnt out and motivated all the time. Its annoying af. As long as I feel motivated and in destroyer mindset sat morning, Im all game.

For me-my biggest goal for the week is to consistently continue getting up early when i have to for test day, and getting full nights rest by going to bed earlier than im used too as well.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

-6 is solid, especially for that section! Crushed it

I took PT81 today gonna BR and grade it i think in the AM

I KNOW RIGHT??? especially considering what I got on test day, but that was mostly due to freaking out and fucking up. Idk where the -6 came from, I'm assuming mostly from judges again but I wouldn't be surprised if I got like 1 wrong on each of the other 3 passages then -3 on judges alone. honestly pretty happy with the results, if only I could've done this on test day smfh


Haha yeah i agree! -6 isnt ideal but comparatively haha. And yeah the nerves... Judges really just is super ambiguous so prob it was likely from that passage. I never really noticed a difference in old RC v. new RC until today when I did 81 with RC section from PT40 as Exp. Im pretty sure i got maybe -2 wrong max on the exp and i did it as section 5 when i was tired... the passages were much less dense comparatively.

yeah I get you man. the new RC I feel like they have way less "structure" questions than older PTs. the newer ones love to test you more on inference questions I feel unlike old RC which is like mostly structure questions

kiklavan

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby kiklavan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:
kiklavan wrote:How much are you guys planning on studying this week? Interested to hear everyone’s schedule since I’m so sick of this test I could practically neglect it all week and barely feel bad about it


A lot - prolly through Friday tbh but on Friday I’m probs gonna just do logic games. I’ve always been the type to study up until the exam and it’s wkrked for me for the last time.


I plan on taking another 5 section PT monday and then just a 4 section Weds and then just reviewing and drilling in between. Tapering down as the week goes on, but adj accordingly so im not super stressed. I dont want to burnt out by friday, so how much i taper down will depend on how i feel as the week goes, but really my goal is to stay at 70ish% my typical workload. Easy going Peak Week.

And on a similar note: going through feeling super burnt out and motivated all the time. Its annoying af. As long as I feel motivated and in destroyer mindset sat morning, Im all game.

For me-my biggest goal for the week is to consistently continue getting up early when i have to for test day, and getting full nights rest by going to bed earlier than im used too as well.


Ugh I can relate to everything you just said. My brain is motivated but I'm so burnt out. 6 months of this shit full time is my absolute limit. And I've been struggling to sleep early too. I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill Friday just to play it safe.

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 pm

quick question for u guys based on this thread - https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... 16920.html

if the question is asking about the author of b being skeptical about something author a said, would an effective method be to attack it technically by negating the answer choices like ohthatpatrick seems to be doing in this post?? i've never heard of it before but there he is using it!

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:18 pm

PT 82

Holy shit that RC section... Those last two passages were not nice...
LR -2/-2
RC -6
LG 0
171


BR
LR -0
RC -4
LG -0

177
Last edited by Experiment626 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
somethingElse

Gold
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby somethingElse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:quick question for u guys based on this thread - https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... 16920.html

if the question is asking about the author of b being skeptical about something author a said, would an effective method be to attack it technically by negating the answer choices like ohthatpatrick seems to be doing in this post?? i've never heard of it before but there he is using it!


personally I wouldn't use something like that but that's not to say it's an ineffective technique

for RC most of the wrong answer choices can be eliminated in one of the following ways:

1) The answer choice discusses something that the passage doesn't mention at all
2) The answer choice discusses something that the passage goes against/says is wrong/disagrees with
3) The answer choice is the opposite of what you are looking for (e.g. if the question wants you to choose something the author would agree with, the wrong answer choice would state something the author would disagree with)

2 and 3 are similar and it will just depend on what kind of question it is, but that's the general idea

Take a look at this guy's explanation for that question and you will see how it holds true for Q 26:

https://lsathacks.com/explanations/lsat ... sion/q-26/

I'm rusty at lsat stuff but that's more or less the way I did RC (I also did not mark up the passages at all, but I know that it works for a lot of people). You should also be able to at least most of the time reference/point to specific parts of the passage as you are eliminating incorrect answers/choosing the correct one.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 pm

somethingElse wrote:


hey SE, any advice on how to not be a complete idiot on test day and freak out? thanks <3

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey wrote:PT 82

168

LR: -3/-3
LG: -1
RC: -6

I still had no fucking clue what the judges passage was saying

-6 is solid, especially for that section! Crushed it

I took PT81 today gonna BR and grade it i think in the AM

I KNOW RIGHT??? especially considering what I got on test day, but that was mostly due to freaking out and fucking up. Idk where the -6 came from, I'm assuming mostly from judges again but I wouldn't be surprised if I got like 1 wrong on each of the other 3 passages then -3 on judges alone. honestly pretty happy with the results, if only I could've done this on test day smfh


Haha yeah i agree! -6 isnt ideal but comparatively haha. And yeah the nerves... Judges really just is super ambiguous so prob it was likely from that passage. I never really noticed a difference in old RC v. new RC until today when I did 81 with RC section from PT40 as Exp. Im pretty sure i got maybe -2 wrong max on the exp and i did it as section 5 when i was tired... the passages were much less dense comparatively.

yeah I get you man. the new RC I feel like they have way less "structure" questions than older PTs. the newer ones love to test you more on inference questions I feel unlike old RC which is like mostly structure questions



I HATE INFERENCE/ANALOGY RC QUESTIONS! Most of the RC questions I got wrong on 82 were that type...

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Experiment626 wrote:PT 82

Holy shit that RC section...
LR -2/-2
RC -6
LG 0
171


BR
LR -0
RC -4
LG -0

177

we both went -6 on RC lmao. shit, it's better than how I did on actual test day :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Mikey wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:PT 82

Holy shit that RC section...
LR -2/-2
RC -6
LG 0
171


BR
LR -0
RC -4
LG -0

177

we both went -6 on RC lmao. shit, it's better than how I did on actual test day :lol: :lol:


Yea.... I'm not sure how to deal with that. Like the reason I'm missing 2 in each LR is I'm rushing at the end for time. So if I get a little faster I could maybe go -0 or -1 each to make up for RC... Just... ugh...

User avatar
somethingElse

Gold
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby somethingElse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Mikey wrote:
somethingElse wrote:


hey SE, any advice on how to not be a complete idiot on test day and freak out? thanks <3


don't do any serious studying the day before (maybe like one section of each in the morning) and definitely watch some dumb tv or something like that at night

stick to your same warmup/morning routine the day of

be confident and believe in yourself

kick ass and bring a soft pretzel for your snack



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 19 guests