The Official December 2017 Study Group

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
8%
164-167
22%
167-169
17%
13%
171-172
11%
172-174
7%
7%
176-179
4%
7%

Total votes: 83

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm

AvatarRoku wrote:LSAC updated their projected email score release date from 01/04/2018 to 01/03/2018, so yeah just thought I'd share.

I'm wondering if they did this because they normally release their scores a day early and they just wanted wanted their projected score release date to be accurate.

I don't know who you are but I think we should be best friends.

I'm just a past life of your grandfather.

Flameo hotman!!

(forrealz tho, i'm rewatching LoK in my spare time rn - it's prolly my third time through that series)

Postby AvatarRoku » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:39 pm

AvatarRoku wrote:LSAC updated their projected email score release date from 01/04/2018 to 01/03/2018, so yeah just thought I'd share.

I'm wondering if they did this because they normally release their scores a day early and they just wanted wanted their projected score release date to be accurate.

I don't know who you are but I think we should be best friends.

I'm just a past life of your grandfather.

Flameo hotman!!

(forrealz tho, i'm rewatching LoK in my spare time rn - it's prolly my third time through that series)

AloK and Atla are the reasons I haven't been able to study for the LSAT, the series get better everytime I see them! Also the comics are addicting too :/ .

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:Food and Drinking. Lots of drinking. Possibly Absinthe

I actually had a shot of the real shit that you can only find at Spanish bars at the beginning of the night and lemme tell you that my throat hella dried up and i was done drinking for the night

I have stuff from Germany... Yea it's some dangerous stuff. But goes great in Champers!

I had some in London in this crazy cocktail that was 6shots of various liquors in a martini glass already almost filled with jager including absinthe that you are supposed to constantly suck through a straw while it is lit on fire. I felt my insides burn, but it was awesome! haha

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:55 pm

AvatarRoku wrote:AloK and Atla are the reasons I haven't been able to study for the LSAT, the series get better everytime I see them! Also the comics are addicting too :/ .

I'm really hoping that they put all the comics into one sort of anthology since the five AtLA ones are all basically taking place within the same time period.

But stop watching!! Trust me I wanna sit back and binge through the Red Lotus doing unspeakable shit but it'll be more fun when we can do this AFTTERR the exam.

also you can tell how nerdy i am about AtLA and LoK bc I'm excited by this interaction :)

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Last edited by barcafan202 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
peege wrote:
MercW07 wrote:Just got wrecked by game 4 from PT 72. I hate miscellaneous games.

I made a hypothetical game board for that one and it was so much easier. When in doubt just fill in the slots

That's pretty much how the misc games go. Put the information you have in a way you think will work for you to solve the questions and GO. Don't HERP DE DERP and burn time.

Yep totally blew through it once I started messing with game boards. My problem was I had no idea where to begin. I had to read the whole thing about 5 times before I got a basic understanding of what was going on. That paralytic feeling you get when you first see a weird game and have no idea how to proceed is terrible.

The worst feeling! and I have this PT still and think ill take it thurs and give it a go

Good luck with it! It really is not that bad if you don't freeze. Just keep thinking that to yourself.

Thanks! I have been finishing LG with ~10-12 min left per section going -0 with no real ball-buster of a game, so im banking on that extra time to just sort it out. Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Decided to drill the games section in PT72 today since there was so much talk about it. -0 which is better than my -3 when I took on on a PT like 5 months ago.

Got to Game 4 with about 10 minutes left and got through it but I had to go through a few steps before I got to what I needed. Can definitely say having done it before did not help. Even with the 1 inference I remembered I couldn't get an initial setup that worked for everything and kept updating/changing it as I hit the questions. At the end I realized a simple step I should have done that would have made it less stressful.

Also had a mini heart attack because I flew through the third game so fast I thought my watch died. Had to pause and ask alexa about timers... I think I might either buy a new watch or get the battery replaced if there's a place near me that does it. It's a cheap $15 casio watch so maybe I'll just buy another one as a backup for test day...

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:What advice would u give for RC and LR :(

For RC, none. It's my worst section and I have no advice at all lol. Just maybe that it's ok to be uncertain about answers if you POE bc chances are you may get them right anyways.

LR is too broad, is there a Q type that screws you the most?

Fuqqqqqq. I figured no1 can help on this. Assumption questions still give me a ton of trouble.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:

For RC, none. It's my worst section and I have no advice at all lol. Just maybe that it's ok to be uncertain about answers if you POE bc chances are you may get them right anyways.

Fuqqqqqq. I figured no1 can help on this. Assumption questions still give me a ton of trouble.

Sufficent or necessary or both?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:34 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Which ones? necessary and sufficient assumption questions?

NA:
- look for an AC that sounds weaker unless the language in the stimulus is strong, then maybe the right AC may sound strongish
- if you get down to a few ACs and aren't sure, negate them.

SA:
- look for an AC that sounds strong in language or an AC that literally just states the premise and conclusion but in the RIGHT way such as if premise then conclusion. if it starts with "IF conclusion" it's wrong. the only way it won't be wrong is if it is the contrapositive but even then you have to have practiced that to identify it
- if an idea is presented both in the premise and conclusion, the right AC most likely won't bring that idea back up, but instead will bring up 2 other ideas you need to connect from the premise and conclusion. for example:

Premise: B --> C
Conc: A --> C
the right AC will link up A --> B since it mentions C in both the premise and conc. so if you pick the right answer which would be A --> B then you are able to get A --> C because A will lead to B which leads to C.

for both NA and SA: if a NEW idea is presented in the conclusion, the right AC MUST talk about that idea. if it doesn't then it is most likely wrong

keep in mind I suck at explaining sooooooooooo yeah sorry if this made you go "WTF did this dude just say"

saffles

Postby saffles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

greatspirit wrote:We ain't getting to 180 :/

Not with that attitude we aren't!! Alright, you guys let's get some responses flowing: What's the first thing you're doing as soon as you head home after the exam?

I'm going to work on my essays xD

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Sufficent or necessary or both?

Both. Sometimes I can't tell the difference.

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:

NA:
- look for an AC that sounds weaker unless the language in the stimulus is strong, then maybe the right AC may sound strongish

SA:
- look for an AC that sounds strong in language or an AC that literally just states the premise and conclusion but in the RIGHT way such as if premise then conclusion. if it starts with "IF conclusion" it's wrong. the only way it won't be wrong is if it is the contrapositive but even then you have to have practiced that to identify it
- if an idea is presented both in the premise and conclusion, the right AC most likely won't bring that idea back up, but instead will bring up 2 other ideas you need to connect from the premise and conclusion. for example:

the right AC will link up A --> B since it mentions C in both the premise and conc. so if you pick the right answer which would be A --> B then you are able to get A --> C because A will lead to B which leads to C.

for both NA and SA: if a NEW idea is presented in the conclusion, the right AC MUST talk about that idea. if it doesn't then it is most likely wrong

keep in mind I suck at explaining sooooooooooo yeah sorry if this made you go "WTF did this dude just say"

Yeah I did go wtf but I think I see what you are saying. thx

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Decided to drill the games section in PT72 today since there was so much talk about it. -0 which is better than my -3 when I took on on a PT like 5 months ago.

Got to Game 4 with about 10 minutes left and got through it but I had to go through a few steps before I got to what I needed. Can definitely say having done it before did not help. Even with the 1 inference I remembered I couldn't get an initial setup that worked for everything and kept updating/changing it as I hit the questions. At the end I realized a simple step I should have done that would have made it less stressful.

Also had a mini heart attack because I flew through the third game so fast I thought my watch died. Had to pause and ask alexa about timers... I think I might either buy a new watch or get the battery replaced if there's a place near me that does it. It's a cheap $15 casio watch so maybe I'll just buy another one as a backup for test day...

Nice! Yeah i am going to watch the 7sage video here shortly, but thats just a brutal game. Probably the hardest miscellaneous game ive seen. Unless there are some major upfront inferences you can make or simplified setup iin general that i was overlooking, i think its just one of those games that is a ball-buster and there is prob nothing or will be anything similar. a game in its own realm. And haha that happened to me during the Sept lsat. I thought I was finishing game 3 but actually finished 4 and was like wtf I just blacked out and did a game extremely fast, and actually dont have another game to do and the time is right.

And, If you are buying a new watch, i def recommend the PErfect Score watch.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:

NA:

SA:

[b]sentefor both NA and SA: if a NEW idea is pred in the conclusion, the right AC MUST talk about that idea. if it doesn't then it is most likely wrong

[/b]

This has saved me after narrowing down 2 ACs so many times. I feel like when I negate ACs sometimes, rarely, but sometimes 2 ACs negated will both sound correct. You ever have that issue? Ill keep some of these tips in mind and maybe its what im missing in some cases.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 pm

I feel like RC will be the death of me for this Dec test.

Postby AvatarRoku » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 pm

AvatarRoku wrote:AloK and Atla are the reasons I haven't been able to study for the LSAT, the series get better everytime I see them! Also the comics are addicting too :/ .

I'm really hoping that they put all the comics into one sort of anthology since the five AtLA ones are all basically taking place within the same time period.

But stop watching!! Trust me I wanna sit back and binge through the Red Lotus doing unspeakable shit but it'll be more fun when we can do this AFTTERR the exam.

also you can tell how nerdy i am about AtLA and LoK bc I'm excited by this interaction :)

Yeah as the guru from the Last Airbender said, I have let go of my attachments to unlock my chakaras and have a steady mind for the test lol.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm

PrezRand wrote:Both. Sometimes I can't tell the difference.

It can be weird because sometimes based on the argument, the assumption could be both. But the way to think about it is as follows:

Necessary assumption is required. Question stems are what is an assumption that it requires, what is a presumption necessary, the argument relies on what?

Evidence:
All mammals have brown fur
Dogs are on the island

Conclusion:
All dogs on the island have brown fur

NA:
dogs are mammals (duh)

But say I swapped the word fish for dogs. You would have to assume that fish are mammals, even though that's not right scientifically, to get to the conclusion with the evidence I give you. If you don't and fish are not mammals then my conclusion doesn't work which breaks the argument via negation proving that you have to assume that fish are mammals

Sufficient is basically proves the conclusion.

From a larger perspective, consider the following two sentences:
1. Attending my lecture is sufficient for you to get an A in class. Literally by going to the lecture you get an A
2. Attending the lecture is required to get an A. In this second sentence, just going to the lecture doesn't give you an A so it's not sufficient to getting an A but you have to do it if you want that A.

That's how I think of sufficient assumptions. They have to be like #1

Evidence:
Henry took his clothes off

Conclusion:
Henry was hot

A sufficient assumption would be if someone takes their clothes off they're hot or the contrapositive of if someone is not hot then they don't take their clothes off.

The wrong assumption would be if they're hot they take off their clothes because it's on the wrong side of the arrow for conditional reasoning.

Make sense?
Last edited by Experiment626 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:And, If you are buying a new watch, i def recommend the PErfect Score watch.

I test under RA which doesn't work with that watch. Regular watch with a twist dial is just as good, cheaper, and faster to reset than popping the knob out and twisting the dial. Granted you could forget to twist the dial like you forget to reset the watch, but I just put a check at the top of the first page of each section confirming I did twist the dial.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J ... UTF8&psc=1

greatspirit

Postby greatspirit » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 am

What’s y’all’s favorite section?

Currently, LG is mine. It’s the one I have the most “fun” with.

Experiment626

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 am

greatspirit wrote:What’s y’all’s favorite section?

agreed. Plus you get to work with the same information across multiple questions and it's usually straight forward. Reasons I don't like RC since it's multiple questions on the same passage is because it's not straight forward. I don't like having to infer attitudes/perspectives and pick analogy type crap based on the passage...

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:48 am

LG.

I think im gonna take a break from questions and figure out a diff strategy for RC. It's my toughest section.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Postby PhiladelphiaCollins » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 am

barcafan202 wrote:I have a question about LG for anyone who wants to help. what is the best way to approach rule substitution questions without wasting a ridiculous amount of time or hoping I luck out and understand the implications of the answer choices perfectly? Brute force isn't doing it for me and I want that point

So what I do is first draw the suspended rule next to the question in brackets, and then re draw the game with the rest of the rules. Then I go through each AC and see if it allows for something that wasn’t available in the first setup or restricts something that was there initially. You have to have a good grasp of the inferences, so it’s nice that it’s the last question in the section, but it also helps if you have multiple hypotheticals to refer to.

It’s taken me 2~ years to actually answer these questions correctly, so I’d say it takes a little bit of practice haha

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 am

Last edited by barcafan202 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:38 am

Last edited by barcafan202 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saffles

Postby saffles » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:06 am

barcafan202 wrote:Turns out I mis-scored PT 73 in my haste, I got a 167!! My best ever. If anyone is losing confidence just keep going, in 3 months of studying I only began making gains these past 2 weeks once I got a hang of timing.

RC: -4
LR 1: -3
LG: -4
LR 2: -5

That Marcusian-advertising passage was frustrating. Could be nearing 170 if not for it

How did you get a hang of timing?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am

The writing sample

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”