The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

chewinggum

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by chewinggum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Is -12 in RC normal for you? Even if it is, surely you could get into the 170s by December with some concentrated RC drilling. If you were going -5 or more in each section Id agree with you, but it seems like you really don't have far to go with regards to prep
Idk. I’ve never been great at RC but I haven’t done this poorly in a while. The RC section was very difficult for me but I didn’t expect this. I honestly would feel better if it was more of an even split across the sections bc I put a lot of time into RC.

Like I’m extremely disappointed but it’s still very fresh

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

King of the North wrote:
MercW07 wrote:Has anyone here done the LG section from PT57? Its the one that includes the infamous dinosaur game, if that helps to ring any bells.

Anyway, I found the section had an almost unfair level of difficulty. I consider myself pretty strong in the LG department and I was forced to guess on 4 questions. Luckily I got the other 19 questions right, but damn that dinosaur game is hard. I haven't had to guess on an LG section in nearly 2 months so Im pretty rattled right now.
Ok so I did the section timed. I managed to get games 1, 2, and 4 all correct, and I had enough time to get 3 of the 6 questions correct on the dinosaur game. I'm fully certain I could've gotten a perfect score on this entire section if I had spent a couple minutes less on the first game so that I'd have enough time left for the dinosaur game. Difficult indeed, but only difficult because it is time consuming.
Yep, pretty much sounds like you and I were in the same boat with this section. After I finished game 1 I thought I spent way too much time on it. It was so freaking simple, but just took up a bit too much time. Did you skip game 3, or brute force your way through it? I diagramed the rules for it, picked up my easy point with the acceptable situation question, and moved on to game 4. When I came back to it I had about 5 mins left which should have been enough time to get through the remaining 5 questions but I could just not force out any inferences and I had to guess on 4 of them.

Glad to hear Im not the only one who had problems with this section though. If I can go -4 on a section that seems to be universally considered hard, I feel pretty good about my chances in LG.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
clueless801 wrote: Yup I was in the second to last row in the same room as you and lilwing!!!
I was in the middle of the middle group, lmaoo
littlewing67 wrote: lol suicide pact if we don't do well in dec???????????
I agree. I wholeheartedly sell my soul to this pact.
im mindboggled.. i know some people who are just outright STUPID who beat the shit out of me and I can't wrap my mind around it. salty af
TELL ME ABOUT IT

I know a chick who already graduated LS and got a score 7 points higher than me and she was FUCKING DUMB
Joining from the Sept group. Decided to finally put an AVI up so people can recognize me lol. Like I said before, I love me some ABR and Avenged Sevenfold, but I also love me some jazz :D

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

MercW07 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
MercW07 wrote:Has anyone here done the LG section from PT57? Its the one that includes the infamous dinosaur game, if that helps to ring any bells.

Anyway, I found the section had an almost unfair level of difficulty. I consider myself pretty strong in the LG department and I was forced to guess on 4 questions. Luckily I got the other 19 questions right, but damn that dinosaur game is hard. I haven't had to guess on an LG section in nearly 2 months so Im pretty rattled right now.
Ok so I did the section timed. I managed to get games 1, 2, and 4 all correct, and I had enough time to get 3 of the 6 questions correct on the dinosaur game. I'm fully certain I could've gotten a perfect score on this entire section if I had spent a couple minutes less on the first game so that I'd have enough time left for the dinosaur game. Difficult indeed, but only difficult because it is time consuming.
Yep, pretty much sounds like you and I were in the same boat with this section. After I finished game 1 I thought I spent way too much time on it. It was so freaking simple, but just took up a bit too much time. Did you skip game 3, or brute force your way through it? I diagramed the rules for it, picked up my easy point with the acceptable situation question, and moved on to game 4. When I came back to it I had about 5 mins left which should have been enough time to get through the remaining 5 questions but I could just not force out any inferences and I had to guess on 4 of them.

Glad to hear Im not the only one who had problems with this section though. If I can go -4 on a section that seems to be universally considered hard, I feel pretty good about my chances in LG.
After I watched the 7Sage videos for this section, I felt really stupid because of the fact that I did not split the game board on the first game, which would have saved me an ample amount of time.

As far as the dinosaur game goes, I tried to diagram it as best as I could, and then I did solved the first question, struggled with the second question, and told myself it was time to move on to the last game. Then I went back with maybe, hmm, 5 minutes left. So then, knowing that I put myself in a tough situation because my not-so-great diagram didn't provide me with enough information to really eliminate too many answer choices on any of the questions, I went through the questions one at a time and if it seemed like testing each answer wouldn't take too long, I would solve the question. Long story short, with what little time I had left I made an attempt to solve the questions that were the least time consuming and worked my way around from there. And like I said in the previous post, had I not spent like 3 extra minutes on the first game, I honestly think I would have had enough time to at least go only -1 on this game due to running out of time, and I could very well have solved the entire game.

Overall, I have dedicated a lot of time the last week and a half to LG, and I am seeing improvement and this to me is evidence of that. So this was very motivating for me.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
clueless801 wrote: Yup I was in the second to last row in the same room as you and lilwing!!!
im mindboggled.. i know some people who are just outright STUPID who beat the shit out of me and I can't wrap my mind around it. salty af
TELL ME ABOUT IT

I know a chick who already graduated LS and got a score 7 points higher than me and she was FUCKING DUMB
Joining from the Sept group. Decided to finally put an AVI up so people can recognize me lol. Like I said before, I love me some ABR and Avenged Sevenfold, but I also love me some jazz :D
Jazz is great. Today it was really foggy with some really light drizzled rain where I live and so I listened almost exclusively to Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and some singer I'm just now starting to explore named Louis Prima. If you haven't yet, listen to (Nothing's Too Good) For My Baby by Prima, and also Was I To Blame For Falling In Love With you, C'est Si Bon, and Rhythm Saved The World by Armstrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

King of the North wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
TELL ME ABOUT IT

Jazz is great. Today it was really foggy with some really light drizzled rain where I live and so I listened almost exclusively to Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and some singer I'm just now starting to explore named Louis Prima. If you haven't yet, listen to (Nothing's Too Good) For My Baby by Prima, and also Was I To Blame For Falling In Love With you, C'est Si Bon, and Rhythm Saved The World by Armstrong.
It was definitely "grey" out today hahaha. I love all those artists. I have a record player and have started a jazz collection. I have a bunch of the classics like a love supreme, kind of blue, bitches brew, take five, etc as well as some more contemporary stuff. However, I want to branch my listening out as much as I can so thanks a lot for the recommendation! Also, aside from the "grey day" joke, I agree that jazz puts a nice metaphorical cozy blanket over cold, rainy days. It's awesome.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
King of the North wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
TELL ME ABOUT IT

It was definitely "grey" out today hahaha. I love all those artists. I have a record player and have started a jazz collection. I have a bunch of the classics like a love supreme, kind of blue, bitches brew, take five, etc as well as some more contemporary stuff. However, I want to branch my listening out as much as I can so thanks a lot for the recommendation! Also, aside from the "grey day" joke, I agree that jazz puts a nice metaphorical cozy blanket over cold, rainy days. It's awesome.
If you use Spotify, I’ve got a nice playlist that includes good mixture of Sinatra, dean martin, Louis Armstrong, some french stuff, a couple Duke Ellington/Coltrane pieces, and a handful of french music.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 am

If you use Spotify, I’ve got a nice playlist that includes good mixture of Sinatra, dean martin, Louis Armstrong, some french stuff, a couple Duke Ellington/Coltrane pieces, and a handful of french music.[/quote]

Thanks!! I'll PM you

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Post by PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:07 am

I'm going to be a 5th time taker, so take this with some salt, but I found that going back to a heavy diagramming method in RC worked for me. I kind of got off of it going through TLS and reading through other online guides, but I found I'm more engaged and more understanding of the material when I'm boxing, circling and underlining. Obviously still read for logical structure and that good stuff, but this is something that's been working for me more recently and has helped me to break into the 170s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haburo

New

Post by Haburo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am

It is frustrating that international test-takers can't see their test score breakdown. We are paying the same price as US test-takers. In some cases, moreso (flights to neighbouring countries where you can actually take the test, etc.).

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 am

chewinggum wrote:
I'm registered for December but considering pushing to June and delaying a cycle bc I don't really see myself improving as much as I'd like while working full time. If anyone else is working FT please PM me, I'd love to know your plans for December.
*slowly raises hand*

I'm in the same boat, but I really don't want to delay another cycle. I just don't know how fucked I'll be if I don't take advantage of an early application. I might get better results since I'm a super splitter, but who knows how the GRE will impact places looking at super splitters in the first place.

I was ready to bite the bullet for duke at full sticker and app ED but NOPE. I"ll just get declined now.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

twiix wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
I'm registered for December but considering pushing to June and delaying a cycle bc I don't really see myself improving as much as I'd like while working full time. If anyone else is working FT please PM me, I'd love to know your plans for December.
*slowly raises hand*

I'm in the same boat, but I really don't want to delay another cycle. I just don't know how fucked I'll be if I don't take advantage of an early application. I might get better results since I'm a super splitter, but who knows how the GRE will impact places looking at super splitters in the first place.

I was ready to bite the bullet for duke at full sticker and app ED but NOPE. I"ll just get declined now.
I’m studying while working FT too though I don’t have any advice since I studied my ass off and only did a point better (though the breakdowns were way different). We only have about 7/8 weekends or so so I’m definitely using those as much as I can, and I’m going to ask my boss for two weeks unpaid leave right before the exam. Studying after work gets draining and before work isn’t an option for me sadly!

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 am

Might as well join the party. Need to get my timing better. I actually still haven't checked my score but I will be retaking in December anyway so I can improve my speed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am

clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
*slowly raises hand*

I’m studying while working FT too though I don’t have any advice since I studied my ass off and only did a point better (though the breakdowns were way different). We only have about 7/8 weekends or so so I’m definitely using those as much as I can, and I’m going to ask my boss for two weeks unpaid leave right before the exam. Studying after work gets draining and before work isn’t an option for me sadly!
I work more than full time too so I feel your pain. I'm not going to retake in Dec. but had a plan ready in case - maybe this will help?

Week 1:
Tests 65-69 - LG. Watch 7Sage videos for games with errors.

Week 2:
Tests 65-69 - RC. Write out WHY the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers (esp. the one you chose) are wrong.

Week 3:
Tests 65-69 - LR BY TYPE. Write out WHY the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers (esp. the one you chose) are wrong.

Week 4:
Tests 70-72 (timed). Review all wrong answers and write out explanations for them. Review each exam on alternating days.

Week 5:
Tests 73-75 (timed). Review all wrong answers and write out explanations for them. Review each exam on alternating days.

Week 6:
Tests 76-78 (timed). Review all wrong answers and write out explanations for them. Review each exam on alternating days.

Week 7:
Tests 79-81 (timed). Review all wrong answers and write out explanations for them. Review each exam on alternating days.

For what it's worth, RC was my worst by far too - the only thing that saved me was doing the sections out of order. Did you do that - and leave judges for last? If not, might be a new strategy to try. I am seriously pulling for you guys - you can do it.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am

clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:hello darkness my old friend
</3

sad to see us both back here. JFC
squad
ME FOURRRRR
Make it a full five

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 am

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:I'm going to be a 5th time taker, so take this with some salt, but I found that going back to a heavy diagramming method in RC worked for me. I kind of got off of it going through TLS and reading through other online guides, but I found I'm more engaged and more understanding of the material when I'm boxing, circling and underlining. Obviously still read for logical structure and that good stuff, but this is something that's been working for me more recently and has helped me to break into the 170s.
Oh no, you're back here too? :(

Jfc this test sucked.. Idk how so many people got those high scores but I'm super jealous

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
*slowly raises hand*

For what it's worth, RC was my worst by far too - the only thing that saved me was doing the sections out of order. Did you do that - and leave judges for last? If not, might be a new strategy to try. I am seriously pulling for you guys - you can do it.
Do you just always assume the most difficult passage is the 3rd? I feel like trying to get a gauge on difficulty for a passage and then moving on would be a big loss of time in RC, whereas LG you can tell without my time invested that a game will be rough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 am

This is a dumb question but as retakers did you go over in detail what you got wrong on your actual LSAT? My first one was in February so I didn’t really have one to look over, and I don’t know if I want to jump back into the September test just yet. I was thinking of doing a review of it sometime this weekend.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 am

twiix wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
twiix wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
*slowly raises hand*

Do you just always assume the most difficult passage is the 3rd? I feel like trying to get a gauge on difficulty for a passage and then moving on would be a big loss of time in RC, whereas LG you can tell without my time invested that a game will be rough.
I mean I made the idiotic mistake of skipping the second passage and doing the comparative (judges) bc I typically find those easier. I wasted a lot of time on that one then did the fourth passage and only had 5 minutes left to complete the second passage. So I'm not surprised I bombed it but I was really hoping to get lucky

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:
Thanks for this! I might take Dec (bc f it) but I'm more than likely not applying this cycle. It isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am

For me I always find comparative is hard and sucks up time, so maybe my advice to just "skip over the hard one" is not actually v. helpful or v. universal since some of you guys like the comparative passages.

I am trying to remember how I felt in the test (other than the doom of imminent death) and I'm pretty sure I read the first two sentences of judges and was like NOPE NOPE NOPE. I don't think it cost me much extra in terms of time to make that assessment. I finished 4 and came back to 3 and wound up only doing a few questions and guessing on the rest (that passage cost me half my points lost on the entire test).

I also think generally speaking the first two passages are the easiest - that you could theoretically bulldoze through those but look at 3 and 4 before deciding which one to tackle first? I'm trying to remember what was said about this in the Powerscore book (where they spend a lot of time talking about averages and strategies and such). Definitely they talk about maximizing your score through knowing your abilities and weaknesses. I know I am not a fast reader (despite the fact that I read a ton) and that I sometimes have to make horrible decisions on RC. It sounds like for some of you guys though this was just a fluke - that normally RC is a strength. For me it has always been the worst.

As far as trying again next year, that makes a shitton of sense if you can make your peace with it. Definitely cons as well as pros to trying to retake in Dec.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am

Any thoughts yet on the Dec test? I feel like some prep company made a good point about LSAT staying away from those tricky LG to avoid ticking off people who could take the GRE. So I’m guessing difficult RC again...

Anyone have thoughts? Or a list of PTs with harder RC/LR sections

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

let's just take the GRE, fuck this shit

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

Sadly checking in. I made a major bubble error on a section in September which tragically dropped my score.

Excited to play this game with all of you lovely people again though.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

sabraph wrote:Any thoughts yet on the Dec test? I feel like some prep company made a good point about LSAT staying away from those tricky LG to avoid ticking off people who could take the GRE. So I’m guessing difficult RC again...

Anyone have thoughts? Or a list of PTs with harder RC/LR sections
I don't know much about sections (other than PT 74 which was prob the hardest reading comp has ever felt for me), but I did most or all of the passages in this link (https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/rc ... ssages.cfm) pretty close to the September test and it actually made me have an above average RC performance despite the judges passage. However, any RC advice from me I would take with a grain of salt because it was always my worst section. I hope I have gotten over the hump with it but I'm still not sure yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”