Experiment626 wrote:MercW07 wrote:King of the North wrote:detwings123 wrote:King of the North wrote:Checking in. Fresh back from a vacation in Europe and realizing I have four months left to study Cold diagnostic back in May was a 153. I probably got in the equivalent of a month, maybe a month in a half worth of studying in before my 10 day trip where I did not even think about the LSAT. Would like to attend Vandy, will obviously go to a better school if the scholarships/whatever make it worthwhile. GPA is a 3.5. By this time next summer I'll have had 2 years of experience at a big law firm working as a lobbyist.
Anyone else in here planning on taking it in Dec. then applying right after to attend in the Fall of 2018? How reasonable does my plan/timetable sound to everyone, realistically? I think a 168+ will put me in an okay position (and yes, I know, aim for the highest score possible. I am.).
Anyway, let's do this peeps.
I have a very similar GPA and definitely want to attend in fall of 2018, but like some have said on here for people with our GPA we may have a better outcome applying to the next cycle from the very start. I'm still leaning towards attending in 2018 and trying to get that 168+ to get some acceptances in the t-14 and money from the schools below that but it does feel like a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. I'm just not sure how big of a disadvantage it will be considering a 3.5 doesn't really classify us as a splitter.
I really, really do not want to wait another year. It's just not acceptable for me. 3.5 is in the bottom 25 percentile for Vandy-that I know for sure-but I really do think a 170 would give me a good chance of getting in. With some money.
Unless you have absolutely nonexistent softs (which is clearly not the case if you have 2 years of big law experience), you'll get into Vandy with a 170/3.5 even if you apply in January
I was the one that mentioned timing. Please remember it was a general comment that depends on what your whole package looks like. I would really encourage you to talk to the admissions office to get a better idea. I know that Georgetown told me that if you have something below the median, the sooner the better. They also encouraged me to put in my application itself as early as possible with a note to hold for the December LSAT. That way my "spot" in line for review is as close to the front as possible when December scores are released, i.e. If I apply Oct 1 and someone applies Jan 4th after they get their score, I'll be looked at before anyone else who applies between us. Each school is different on this so check with each one to figure out best strategy.
What would you recommend for someone who is reapplying with (hopefully) a much higher LSAT? I applied last cycle with a mid 150s LSAT, then in around March I decided not to go this fall and to retake (hence the reason Im in this group). Should I still send out my application in October with my low LSAT score and tell them Im taking it again in December, or because Im hoping for such a large gain should I just wait for my new score and apply in early January? Basically my thinking here is if they aren't going to look at my application until I get my score back anyway, is there really an advantage to submitting it and just having it sit around for 2 months not even being touched?
I guess I understand applying early for someone who already scored high and is just hoping for a few point jump, but Im wondering if because Im hoping for such a large gain if that makes my situation a bit different with regards to when I submit my app.