Third Take-Ever a good idea?

SallysMarbles

Third Take-Ever a good idea?

Postby SallysMarbles » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm

My first take was June 2016. I got a 170, although I ended up guessing on 7 questions (timing) and got 4 of those correct. I had never scored above a 168 on my PTs (mostly in PTs 40-50). I thought I could improve on the 170, and decided to buckle down and study hard and then retake in June 2017. I didn't end up really studying hard until March/April, but felt I made some strong improvements, though I was still reliably testing in the high 160s, albeit on the most recent preptests, which seem a good deal more difficult than PTs 40-50.
I was tired of putting the test off, even though my PT scores had plateaued around 169, and decided to take the test anyway. I ended up getting a 169. This is especially frustrating because I let the pressure of timing get to me on LG and gave up 2 easy points. Also frustrating because my goals are to get into HYS or a Ruby, and with a 3.83 GPA I feel I need a score in the mid 170s. Further score improvement still seems achievable, but I'm wondering if schools will look at these two scores in the same band and dismiss a third score, no matter how high it is. For those who would recommend a third take, how can I break out of the 168-170 range I seem stuck in?

mcat4life87

Re: Third Take-Ever a good idea?

Postby mcat4life87 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:22 pm

wait...you retook a 170 even when your average leading up to the test was a 169? WHY???? Anyways, you should retake it again ONLY IF you can bring your PT average up to 171+.

Experiment626

Re: Third Take-Ever a good idea?

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 pm

mcat4life87 wrote:wait...you retook a 170 even when your average leading up to the test was a 169? WHY???? Anyways, you should retake it again ONLY IF you can bring your PT average up to 171+.

^
This.

You've already kinda shot yourself in the foot with those in the T5 that still do look at all your scores and don't just consider highest so if you're going to do this you better make sure you are rock solid above 170 before you do this again.

Test day you're either going to perform to your average or up to 3 points below. Also know that there's an inflation of up to 4 points if you're taking the test in the comfort of your house or in a setting you have complete control over versus at one administered by a prep class, even with using exact timing via the 7sage app, there's something in the psychology of having control over the environment that gives you a boost to score higher. So if you're PTing in your house, I would make sure your PT average is at least a 176 to hope for going past your 170

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”