June Retakers Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is the best Slack emoji?

Party parrot
6%
Party parrot with wine
28%
Party Testy
33%
:180:
17%
:179:
No votes
Unicorn poo
6%
Cripple 626
11%

Total votes: 18

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Re: June Retakers Study Group

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:16 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote: Thanks for the update! Apps open 9/1 I presume? So no read as to why they're so ahead of the game with us besides "for those who want to get started early" as stated in the follow up email?
She basically said they wanted to get a head start on this upcoming cycle and start talking to students right away. I guess it does make it seem a little more personal this way, or maybe I'm just falling prey to the sales pitch lol.
If the end result of the sales pitch is a hefty scholarship despite my garbage GPA then I will fall headfirst lol

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:23 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
Did she give you a fee waiver??
We didn't talk about it! I better get one! haha.
You can ask for a fee waiver. They sent an email about it before the LSAT. You just email them and say you're emailing about a fee waiver.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Sent out emails for my LORs, thought I'd be shit out of luck since I was a bad student and out of school for 3 years. Two professors emailed me back instantly, willing to help. Wow.

pupper

New

Post by pupper » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
Walliums wrote:
So, I just set up a Slack team, http://juneretakers.slack.com, and sent an invite to juneretakers@gmail.com. If you all are down to use it, I can transfer ownership to the gmail account and we can send out invites to people who want to join.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 pm

pupper wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
Walliums wrote:
So, I just set up a Slack team, http://juneretakers.slack.com, and sent an invite to juneretakers@gmail.com. If you all are down to use it, I can transfer ownership to the gmail account and we can send out invites to people who want to join.
Sounds great, thanks pupper! I can give you admin rights to the Gmail account too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 pm

pupper wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Hi! Thanks for doing this. I've used Slack before and think it'll be useful in this context so I'd love to join in.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 am

solidarity4ever wrote:
pupper wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Hi! Thanks for doing this. I've used Slack before and think it'll be useful in this context so I'd love to join in.
Awesome, just email juneretakers@gmail.com and I'll send you an invitation

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Kaplan wants 3 references, and they made it clear that they will be getting in touch with them. It's pretty standard protocol for jobs, but it's kinda annoying and I don't know how useful it is for employers. I mean, you're gonna contact 3 people that I select and expect to learn something about me? Unless one of them decides to go rogue and trash me for whatever reason, I don't see it being a particularly fruitful use of time or resources.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Did my first two timed sections of my retake prep today:

PT30 LR1: -3
PT29 LG: -1 (dumb mistake)

Nice to know I haven't skipped a beat. Small sample size obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Sent out emails for my LORs, thought I'd be shit out of luck since I was a bad student and out of school for 3 years. Two professors emailed me back instantly, willing to help. Wow.
I missed this yesterday, that's awesome!
I'm still not on the LOR wagon yet.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Walliums wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Sent out emails for my LORs, thought I'd be shit out of luck since I was a bad student and out of school for 3 years. Two professors emailed me back instantly, willing to help. Wow.
I missed this yesterday, that's awesome!
I'm still not on the LOR wagon yet.
Well if you want apps in early you better get on it girl!!!
Profs are great with LORs. It's part of their job, remember?

Just emailed my second LOR request today.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi everyone! For those of you interested in getting a study partner, I've created another survey for you to fill out.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Took PT62 today. My last 2 takes I did my prep tests in a quiet study room. Took today's in a starbucks.

RC: -4
LR: -2
LG: -2
LR: -3

Score: 173

My highest score ever. Albeit I have seen these questions at one time or another, but still happy with this performance.
I will be blind reviewing my mistakes tomorrow evening. I plug my answer sheet into 7sage to see which ones I got wrong, then re-do them without looking at the answer. I found the original way of circling the difficult Q's didn't work for me as I was always over confident, and wouldn't circle the proper questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am

Saylor1720 wrote:Took PT62 today. My last 2 takes I did my prep tests in a quiet study room. Took today's in a starbucks.

My highest score ever. Albeit I have seen these questions at one time or another, but still happy with this performance.
I will be blind reviewing my mistakes tomorrow evening. I plug my answer sheet into 7sage to see which ones I got wrong, then re-do them without looking at the answer. I found the original way of circling the difficult Q's didn't work for me as I was always over confident, and wouldn't circle the proper questions.
This is how I did BR and it seemed to work pretty well for me.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am

Saylor1720 wrote:Took PT62 today. My last 2 takes I did my prep tests in a quiet study room. Took today's in a starbucks.

Wouldn't reviewing the questions after you know you got them wrong defeat the purpose of blind review? I may be wrong here, but I was always under the impression that you blind review a test after you take it and before you actually grade in order to objectively review every question, not just the ones you know you got wrong.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Wouldn't reviewing the questions after you know you got them wrong defeat the purpose of blind review? I may be wrong here, but I was always under the impression that you blind review a test after you take it and before you actually grade in order to objectively review every question, not just the ones you know you got wrong.
For me, at least, I didn't find that traditional method of BR to be very effective. I'd grade the test then go back and review every question that wasn't super easy, whether I got it right or wrong. That worked better for me personally.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 pm

So after I do a LG section I've been trying to go back within an hour or so and watch the 7sage explanations to see why I missed what I missed, and any key inferences I didn't make. But my problem is that, even so soon after I took the section, I can't recreate my thought process--aka how I got to the answer I did. I'll stare at the problem and my work and just have no idea, so I don't know often whether I got a key inference or just got lucky.

Any advice??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:So after I do a LG section I've been trying to go back within an hour or so and watch the 7sage explanations to see why I missed what I missed, and any key inferences I didn't make. But my problem is that, even so soon after I took the section, I can't recreate my thought process--aka how I got to the answer I did. I'll stare at the problem and my work and just have no idea, so I don't know often whether I got a key inference or just got lucky.

Any advice??
How many do you usually miss? If it's not too many, maybe doing the problem over could help. Sometimes it's definitely hard to recreate your thought process especially when you're flying through a timed section, but unless you're going -10, maybe diagram the questions over again.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Also, who here is going to the law school forum in DC on the 22nd? I know Jimmy is going, anyone else?

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote: How many do you usually miss? If it's not too many, maybe doing the problem over could help. Sometimes it's definitely hard to recreate your thought process especially when you're flying through a timed section, but unless you're going -10, maybe diagram the questions over again.
I frequently have timing issues, but even when that happens I'm not going -10 or anything that bad. I'd have to go back and look but avg is probably around -5. I dunno. I think I just need to keep slogging through the sections.

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Also, who here is going to the law school forum in DC on the 22nd? I know Jimmy is going, anyone else?
I'm registered and planning to go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I got the Trainer in the mail at the beginning of the week and have been working through it. Yesterday I did Lesson 5 on flaws and thought the Matching Flaw/Double-Dip Drill at the end was pretty hard. Does anyone know which drill I'm talking about, and if you do, did you find it challenging? I'm usually pretty good at parallel flaw questions so this kind of threw me for a loop. I'm thinking this drill was harder than the average parallel flaw question since we were matching arguments with more tenuous similarities, but I'm not sure--maybe I'm not as proficient with parallel reasoning as I thought.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

MercW07 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
I can elaborate. I go back and redo the question after I know it's wrong. I look at a few things: Did I get it right the second time through?

Why did I pick my answer the original time?

Why didn't I pick the correct answer?

What could've I done to get it right?

It has its pros and cons and isn't for everyone. I just prefer to do it this way so that I get the most out of my review time and don't waste time on questions I've gotten correct. I zero on on the mistakes.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
I can elaborate. I go back and redo the question after I know it's wrong. I look at a few things: Did I get it right the second time through?

Why did I pick my answer the original time?

Why didn't I pick the correct answer?

What could've I done to get it right?

It has its pros and cons and isn't for everyone. I just prefer to do it this way so that I get the most out of my review time and don't waste time on questions I've gotten correct. I zero on on the mistakes.
This is understandable and makes a lot of sense. One of my big concerns with BR is that Im going to waste many hours BRing questions that are extremely easy, and your method takes care of that problem.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Has anyone else gotten PMs from users with 0 posts asking about details of the June test? It has happened to me twice and feels mad sketchy, but I'd also be surprised if LSAC was making fake TLS accounts to try to lure us into sharing info about the test.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”