Feeling down about score

mwells56

Feeling down about score

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 am

Going along with the plethora of June related posts, just looking for a place to vent.

Last September I took it before I was ready and got a 161. To be fair, I knew I wasn't ready and shouldn't have taken it, but I still was beneath what I had been averaging (~165ish). I took the semester off from studying and picked it back up again in January. I had a pretty steady incline in performance, to the point where my last 6 PTs were something like 169-170-173-174-170-168

Come test day? 166. Devastated. Had my absolute worst single section LR performance pretty much ever (-8), with a bad curve to boot. I would've been fine with a 168-169ish. With my GPA (3.75), I still would've retaken for 170+ but the pressure would've been off because I could've gone places that I wanted (MVPD range). Now I feel like I'm in do-or-die mode. Who knows, maybe I get unlucky again on test day?

I was gunna submit my apps on day 1 and then just sit around and wait. I thought the hard part was over, now I feel like it's just beginning. I'm going to have to put my life on hold for the next few months. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, it's just not what I was planning for. This sucks.

QueenBAYder

Re: Feeling down about score

Postby QueenBAYder » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

mwells56 wrote:Going along with the plethora of June related posts, just looking for a place to vent.

Last September I took it before I was ready and got a 161. To be fair, I knew I wasn't ready and shouldn't have taken it, but I still was beneath what I had been averaging (~165ish). I took the semester off from studying and picked it back up again in January. I had a pretty steady incline in performance, to the point where my last 6 PTs were something like 169-170-173-174-170-168

Come test day? 166. Devastated. Had my absolute worst single section LR performance pretty much ever (-8), with a bad curve to boot. I would've been fine with a 168-169ish. With my GPA (3.75), I still would've retaken for 170+ but the pressure would've been off because I could've gone places that I wanted (MVPD range). Now I feel like I'm in do-or-die mode. Who knows, maybe I get unlucky again on test day?

I was gunna submit my apps on day 1 and then just sit around and wait. I thought the hard part was over, now I feel like it's just beginning. I'm going to have to put my life on hold for the next few months. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, it's just not what I was planning for. This sucks.

I'm 100% in the same boat as you, dude. I ended up with a 163 and thought it was a joke. It's only 1 point higher than my diagnostic and 4 points lower than the lowest of my last 5+ PTs. I'm currently in the licking my wounds/regrouping phase but will be studying in earnest again soon (once I narrow in on a strategy) and would love to collaborate on a retake study plan.

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
mwells56 wrote:Going along with the plethora of June related posts, just looking for a place to vent.

I'm 100% in the same boat as you, dude. I ended up with a 163 and thought it was a joke. It's only 1 point higher than my diagnostic and 4 points lower than the lowest of my last 5+ PTs. I'm currently in the licking my wounds/regrouping phase but will be studying in earnest again soon (once I narrow in on a strategy) and would love to collaborate on a retake study plan.

PM if you wanna discuss

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

I feel your pain. On test day I was well-rested, in a comfortable room, no distractions, confident, and I felt good walking out of there honestly thinking I hit 174. Seeing 168 on the email yesterday was a punch to the gut. I made 3 super dumb mistakes with an unforgiving curve. It's a big if, but if i got those 3 back and we had a -11, I'd be at a 173 and totally satisfied. I have a terrible gpa so i really need to score at the top of my range, and scoring at the very bottom of it makes me feel even worse for being a piece of garbage in UG. Pressure is on for September now.

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

Just dropping in to say don't give up! The LSAT is rough, and it's annoying, and it's hard, but we all have a love/hate relationship with it.

Take a couple of days off, and then figure out what went wrong. Fix that and crush the next take. We've all been there, it just is a bummer to have a hiccup happen on the real test, so you have my condolences.

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I feel your pain. On test day I was well-rested, in a comfortable room, no distractions, confident, and I felt good walking out of there honestly thinking I hit 174. Seeing 168 on the email yesterday was a punch to the gut. I made 3 super dumb mistakes with an unforgiving curve. It's a big if, but if i got those 3 back and we had a -11, I'd be at a 173 and totally satisfied. I have a terrible gpa so i really need to score at the top of my range, and scoring at the very bottom of it makes me feel even worse for being a piece of garbage in UG. Pressure is on for September now.

For me it was one stretch of 5 questions in a row that I got wrong. Without that I'd have a -10 which would be a 170/171 on most tests. Feel you there.

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:38 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Just dropping in to say don't give up! The LSAT is rough, and it's annoying, and it's hard, but we all have a love/hate relationship with it.

Take a couple of days off, and then figure out what went wrong. Fix that and crush the next take. We've all been there, it just is a bummer to have a hiccup happen on the real test, so you have my condolences.

My issue is that I legitimately do not find the LSAT hard. I never get a question wrong that I don't understand why it's wrong. I just can't stop making stupid mistakes, which is why I think if I put 100% of myself into it for a month or two I can get my consistency up and get like a 175 or something.

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Wanted to chime in that I am in the exact same place you are. It's a little bit comforting knowing there are a number of us out there who this happened to. I'd love to put together some kind of study group for us June retakers, we should be able to put our heads together and come up with a good 8-week study plan.

DowsingForAJD

Postby DowsingForAJD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Last edited by DowsingForAJD on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyt778

Postby kyt778 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Wanted to stop by as well. I also scored way below my average and would love to work with you guys to come up with an effective strategy for the next two months! I know we can do this :)

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 pm

My rough plan as I've imagined it in my head is 2 PTs a week, heavy review, and going over material I haven't used (Trainer for me). I said before the June test that I would've like an extra month of prep time, and now I get two, so I think it'll work out.

DowsingForAJD

Postby DowsingForAJD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Thoughts on Manhattan vs Trainer vs 7Sage for LR? I haven't used any before and I'm wondering which is better for nailing down those curve breaker questions.

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 pm

DowsingForAJD wrote:Thoughts on Manhattan vs Trainer vs 7Sage for LR? I haven't used any before and I'm wondering which is better for nailing down those curve breaker questions.

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

Seriously, using that got me from taking 33 minutes to finish the section with like 20/25 accuracy to 27 minutes with 24/25 accuracy.

tuna_wasabi

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
DowsingForAJD wrote:Thoughts on Manhattan vs Trainer vs 7Sage for LR? I haven't used any before and I'm wondering which is better for nailing down those curve breaker questions.

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

Seriously, using that got me from taking 33 minutes to finish the section with like 20/25 accuracy to 27 minutes with 24/25 accuracy.

HOW??

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:10 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

Not 100% sure, but I'll detail what I did.

Worked all the way through the Trainer, focusing less on the specifics of how to tackle each question type, and more on what is the question asking. Seems like a subtle difference, but made a huge impact for me. I went from stimulus first to stem first (that was huge) and that change singlehandedly saved me multiple seconds on every single question. I used to read the stim, then read stem, then have to go back and figure out what part of the stim mattered. With stem first, I drilled a TON and got to where I had a bit of LSAT-intuition and 'feel' for what mattered.
On review I often knew which ones I had missed (and even knew I had missed them during the test), but during the test I originally couldn't parse out why I was missing them. After reviewing, I found that my biggest problems came from mis-reading, or just mentally skipping over words. For example, I'd read 'many' as 'most' or miss 'not' in a stim.

Once I figured out that was causing me misses on 'tough' questions, I used that knowledge on questions where I knew I had the wrong answer, but couldn't figure out what was wrong and most of the time a careful re-read revealed I had missed a word that made the correct AC super obvious.

Finally, all of my studying/PTs (except for like 1 or 2) were taken after mentally taxing full work days, and were taken in a crowded/noisy coffee shop environment. The super distraction-rich environment and mental fatigue forced me to focus extra hard on the questions, or I wouldn't even finish the sections. Knowing that I had to be laser-precise in my focus in that environment really helped my speed.

I also got into a routine with food/drink (aka no caffeine before the test and usually a little pseudophedrine). I believe both of those things helped my mental clarity and allowed for faster processing.

EDIT: OH EM GEEEE I also forgot - Get a 180 watch or a Mastermind (that's what I used). Seriously, not having to fuss with timing eliminated another possible distraction and made it so my brain had one less thing to be worrying about. It was also super helpful for pacing. I got to where I was hitting the first five questions in 2:30, question 10 done by minute 8, question 20 done by minute 20 and then 7 minutes for the last 5. This allowed plenty of time for review. I also found that using this pacing, I didn't waste time - if a question was taking 1 minute or more, I was probably missing something, and had better chances of getting it right coming back at the end for a fresh read.

181plz

Postby 181plz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

In the same boat as many of you.
My biggest problem was being slow on rc, I had to bullshit thr last passage in 5 min and ended up with -6 on the section and a 168

Pls send rc tips my way

roflsat

Postby roflsat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

Worked all the way through the Trainer, focusing less on the specifics of how to tackle each question type, and more on what is the question asking. Seems like a subtle difference, but made a huge impact for me.

This was huge for me as well. (I went -1/-1 LR on June's test, which was in line with my PT average.) Once I was regularly -4 or better on each section, I put all my PTs into the 7sage analytics tracker, but there was no clear pattern to which questions I was missing beyond that they were among the hardest in each section, so drilling particular question types wasn't going to be particularly helpful. Instead, I forced myself to be brutally honest in reviewing the 3-5 toughest questions in each section, going over the Powerscore/Manhattan explanations for as long as necessary to internalize the logic behind the correct answer (and understand the mistakes behind the tempting wrong ones). If I still had an argument to make for why a different answer was correct, I would start to type out a forum post with my reasoning; usually, in the process of doing so I'd figure out why my answer was wrong.

DowsingForAJD

Postby DowsingForAJD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 pm

181plz wrote:In the same boat as many of you.
My biggest problem was being slow on rc, I had to bullshit thr last passage in 5 min and ended up with -6 on the section and a 168

Pls send rc tips my way

RC was the one area I didn't mess up (-1). For me, it was all about doing enough prep to find the system that worked for me. I make no notations on the passage but do spend a good bit of time with it up front, really reading for structure and tone. That time invested allows me to breeze through the questions because I understand the passage and know exactly where to look for references. I would take a few RC sections and try a mix of strategies, seeing what allows you to get the best time and accuracy. I think RC is heavily dependent on personal strategy so you just need to develop a solid one and do enough practice sections that you get a sense for what works.

zkyggi

Postby zkyggi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Last edited by zkyggi on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:12 pm

zkyggi wrote:Scored 9 points below my 10 PT average and ~5 below my 30-PT average. Honestly, I'm not worried about retaking. I knew going in that if it was a normal day, I would do well, but the test day nerves weren't normal. Now that I have taken it, I know it is nothing but another PT, which is comforting.

I also did some number crunching, and I scored almost 4 standard deviations below my average. I could live with anything above 169, but am shooting for 175 in Sept.

Yeah bro, you got this. Most high scorers take multiple times (took me three to break 170). You were crushing PTs, so it's not a knowledge/preparedness issue. shit happens

zkyggi

Postby zkyggi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 pm

zkyggi wrote:Scored 9 points below my 10 PT average and ~5 below my 30-PT average. Honestly, I'm not worried about retaking. I knew going in that if it was a normal day, I would do well, but the test day nerves weren't normal. Now that I have taken it, I know it is nothing but another PT, which is comforting.

I also did some number crunching, and I scored almost 4 standard deviations below my average. I could live with anything above 169, but am shooting for 175 in Sept.

Yeah bro, you got this. Most high scorers take multiple times (took me three to break 170). You were crushing PTs, so it's not a knowledge/preparedness issue. shit happens

Last edited by zkyggi on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwaldorf

Postby bwaldorf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Just to provide some encouragement for all of y'all - I was in this boat and ended up taking a year off before law school. I was devastated when I got my score (a 163), which was WAY below my practice tests. I had studied for months, giving up my social life, taking time off work, etc. - and I felt like it was all for nothing. I didn't feel like anything went wrong during the exam, so I had no idea how I did so much worse than my PT average. I cried for days after I got my score. I know it sounds dramatic, but it was a combination of 1) I had always wanted to go to law school, and I wasn't willing to settle for less than a T20 on a very good scholarship after I had worked so hard for my GPA and 2) I felt like everything I had given up to study for this stupid test was all for nothing.

I ended up taking a gap year - something I had never before considered doing until after I got my first LSAT score - and it was the best thing for me. I retook in February 2017, got a 171, got a full ride to a law school I've always wanted to go to (T20 close to home and in the city I want to practice in). I have grown and matured so much in the last year, I've saved money, and I've felt more ready than I have before for law school. I'll be graduating debt free or very close to it from an amazing school.

So, for those of you who are struggling right now, stick with it. Spend a few days to be with family, friends, whatever and then get back to it and study your butt off for the retake. Things really do have a way of working themselves out if you're willing to work for it. I was SO miserable when I first got my LSAT score and I was incredibly upset at the prospect of both a gap year and a retake. But, it worked out for the best and I couldn't imagine going to law school before because I see now that I truly wasn't ready. Good luck y'all!

tuna_wasabi

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm

roflsat wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:

TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

Worked all the way through the Trainer, focusing less on the specifics of how to tackle each question type, and more on what is the question asking. Seems like a subtle difference, but made a huge impact for me.

This was huge for me as well. (I went -1/-1 LR on June's test, which was in line with my PT average.) Once I was regularly -4 or better on each section, I put all my PTs into the 7sage analytics tracker, but there was no clear pattern to which questions I was missing beyond that they were among the hardest in each section, so drilling particular question types wasn't going to be particularly helpful. Instead, I forced myself to be brutally honest in reviewing the 3-5 toughest questions in each section, going over the Powerscore/Manhattan explanations for as long as necessary to internalize the logic behind the correct answer (and understand the mistakes behind the tempting wrong ones). If I still had an argument to make for why a different answer was correct, I would start to type out a forum post with my reasoning; usually, in the process of doing so I'd figure out why my answer was wrong.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll try to follow this strategy for the upcoming test.

But I'll use my analog watch haha. That 180 watch will send me into panic come test day.

littlewing67

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 pm

I was in the same boat. Last summer studying 30-40 hours/week for 4 months straight PTing at 168-169 average, but I had hit low 170s. Test day comes (sept 2016) and I was really nervous. First section was LG and it was hard as hell I didn't even get to the last game. I panicked and was thinking the whole time I screwed up and wanted to cancel. Next thing I know I stumble onto an other LG section with computer viruses.

Find out the first one was the expiremental but ended up with a 164 (-0 on real LG). I was murked by RC with -11! Higher than my average. I was devasted, while I saw people who had Cooley law aspirations praise me and think I was being over dramatic for getting so frustrated and upset.

It's ok though, things in life don't always go as planned. That's what makes us stronger people. Now my goal is to break 170 and I am going to everything in my power to make it a reality.

No one can stop you but yourself. And also don't forget - you can't compare your trials and tribulations, as well as your successes, to others. Everyone is ultimately different and you are the only one in your shoes.

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:10 pm

When I got my score email saying 164, I was livid. My mom and fiancée couldn't understand why I wouldn't welcome a score in roughly the 90 percentile. It was a terrible feeling, but I'm going on vacation this next week, then coming home and recommitting myself to September and a 170. This board is chalked full of high performers, and there is a distinct possibility some of us, especially the first timers, just had a bad day. My last five prefers PTs has been 178 (anomaly), 169, 169, 168, 170. I have resigned myself to the fact that I dropped the ball on this one, and I'm gonna get the back on the horse and blow the doors off in September.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”