Should I Take the September LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mtn1995

New

Should I Take the September LSAT?

Postby mtn1995 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 am

Hey, guys. I'm hoping to receive some insight on my current dilemma.

I have been planning on taking the LSAT in September and beginning the application process in October. Because of my relatively low cumulative GPA (3.5) and the median GPA of applicants at the law schools I'm primarily considering (UGA is my top contender right now), I want to earn a very strong score on the LSAT. However, I took my diagnostic test today and scored a 145. With only a little over two months allotted for studying, I'm just not sure if I will be rushing myself if I register to take the LSAT in September.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? And if I should go ahead and take the LSAT in September, does anyone have any study guides that they think I should follow?

Thanks!

Delano

New

Re: Should I Take the September LSAT?

Postby Delano » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:47 am

Either take December and apply late, or take December / another time and apply day one in 2018. The latter would be the best move unless you're dead-set on applying next cycle.

mtn1995

New

Postby mtn1995 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I mean, I'm shooting for a 165. I'm a strong test taker and very determined to do well; the only problems I foresee are time management and fully understanding the mechanics of taking the LSAT. Would it really be wise to apply late when my GPA is not in the 75% at UGA?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

applying later (aka December) isn't really going to hurt you *that* much at a school in the UGA range. They aren't the kind of school that gets bombarded with tons of 170s in September.

If you want a 165 and just diag'd at 145, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. If you want to register for Sept (aka $180 isn't a huge burden) and then decide the week before if you're ready or not (you can cancel before taking), that's always an option. It also doesn't hurt to have a 'real' take under your belt so the nerves are less on test day.

At the end of the day, I think it's going to probably take more than 2 months from cold to 165 if you start at 145, but that all depends on how well you study and how disciplined you are/how much natural talent you have for the LSAT

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Delano wrote:Either take December and apply late, or take December / another time and apply day one in 2018. The latter would be the best move unless you're dead-set on applying next cycle.

This is really all there is to it. September is too soon for you to jump 20 points. I think a December app to UGA with a 3.5/165 would be fine, but if you're not against waiting, you should wait till next year. You may even have to retake after December so keep that in the back of your mind.

mtn1995

New

Postby mtn1995 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm

From what I understand, compensating for my relatively low GPA with a high LSAT score is crucial to being accepted to UGA, and other schools in a similar tier like Boston College. I really am not against pushing back my test date to December; I understand how important my LSAT score is to any law school application. I'm just concerned that the slots for "splitters" like myself and the amount of financial aid available will be significantly lower by the time I send in my total application in January. Thoughts?

And thank you so much to everyone who has already posted!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 pm

mtn1995 wrote:From what I understand, compensating for my relatively low GPA with a high LSAT score is crucial to being accepted to UGA, and other schools in a similar tier like Boston College. I really am not against pushing back my test date to December; I understand how important my LSAT score is to any law school application. I'm just concerned that the slots for "splitters" like myself and the amount of financial aid available will be significantly lower by the time I send in my total application in January. Thoughts?

And thank you so much to everyone who has already posted!

So acceptance I think is probably less of a problem if you hit median or above on the LSAT for UGA, and unfortunately, scholarships are going to be sparse regardless of your LSAT. The average $ for anyone in the 3.5 range over past three years is around $30k regardless of how good your LSAT is (we're talking from 160-170).

I don't think they'll be full of splitters by December, and it looks like you're looking at max $35k scholarship (total) regardless. I doubt they'll be out of money by December - hell, most T13s don't even start sending out scholly stuff until the December/January time

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
So acceptance I think is probably less of a problem if you hit median or above on the LSAT for UGA, and unfortunately, scholarships are going to be sparse regardless of your LSAT. The average $ for anyone in the 3.5 range over past three years is around $30k regardless of how good your LSAT is (we're talking from 160-170).

I don't think they'll be full of splitters by December, and it looks like you're looking at max $35k scholarship (total) regardless. I doubt they'll be out of money by December - hell, most T13s don't even start sending out scholly stuff until the December/January time

For what it's worth, if OP is in-state, I think UGA has a fairly cheap in-state tuition that $30k would cover a lot of. I could be wrong though I haven't looked at UGA in a long time.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:

For what it's worth, if OP is in-state, I think UGA has a fairly cheap in-state tuition that $30k would cover a lot of. I could be wrong though I haven't looked at UGA in a long time.

Fair. I believe I saw on lsn that in-state was in the 18k range? So, most likely splitters are getting offered about 2/3rds tuition? Seems reasonable, and Athens isn't a super high COL place.

I'd imagine for strong splitters they would also waive out of state tuition increase (similar to UT)

mtn1995

New

Postby mtn1995 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:33 pm

The overall message I'm gathering from these posts is that I should take the LSAT in December and allow a high score to guide me through the application process. I really do think pushing the exam date back would help with my nerves and lessen this sense of being rushed to do well. Thank you, guys. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�