What should I do? Terrible at LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paul999

New

What should I do? Terrible at LSAT

Post by paul999 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 am

I first took the LSAT in 2014 during my Senior year of college without studying and received a 138. Fast forward 2 years, I spent a few months studying from September to February for the Feb. 2017 exam and I received a 144. When/if I take the LSAT a 3rd time, I basically need at least a 165+ for law schools to even take me seriously, especially since it would be the third time I'm taking the exam. I took a prep course for a second time and backed out of the June exam because I hadn't reached my target score yet. I'm beginning to feel that my target score is unrealistic. I would like to get into good schools, like everyone else, but I'm wondering if I should throw in the towel. I did decent in college with a 3.65 but I'm really struggling with this exam. I would appreciate any advice, thoughts, comments.

AJordan

Silver

Re: What should I do? Terrible at LSAT

Post by AJordan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 am

Which prep course did you take? What was the average of your last five practice tests? You need to change something up certainly. I am a fan of two groups getting tutoring, plateaued folks and individuals who have never even reached the median score through self study. I think you need an experienced tutor. The massed prep course pace probably did you few favors and studying on your own didn't work. It's the next logical step.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devilsadvocatetroll

New

Post by devilsadvocatetroll » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 am

The amount of people who readily pay thousands for tutors / prep courses is ridiculous.

Read the Powerscore Bibles slowly (not at the pace your class went at), and re-read sections you don't understand. Do all the practice problems. It is quite straightforward, and your 3.65 GPA means you can understand textbooks.

Take a timed test and see what your score is. If it is still below a 150, at that point maybe consider a tutor or honestly another career.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:01 pm

It sounds to me like you either aren't engaging in the courses you're taking or studying you're doing or they are teaching a method that doesn't work for you. You can't just be in the course and do the bare minimum and you can't just skim the books you're reading. You have to get to the foundation of the question types to truly be able to make the kind of improvements you're looking for. You need to be brutally honest with yourself when you evaluate how you've been studying. Perhaps some one on one time with a tutor will help you uncover what those weaknesses are.

paul999

New

Post by paul999 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm

coskigirl wrote:It sounds to me like you either aren't engaging in the courses you're taking or studying you're doing or they are teaching a method that doesn't work for you. You can't just be in the course and do the bare minimum and you can't just skim the books you're reading. You have to get to the foundation of the question types to truly be able to make the kind of improvements you're looking for. You need to be brutally honest with yourself when you evaluate how you've been studying. Perhaps some one on one time with a tutor will help you uncover what those weaknesses are.
For reference, the course I did twice was with Manhattan Prep. I quit my full time job and I was fully engaged studying for months. I literally gave my all but now I'm thinking I should invest in tutoring like you are all suggesting. I also never do the bare minimum, I was doing extra work and engaging with my instructors privately. I'm simply not getting it :( and feeling hopeless

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 pm

What are you getting wrong? Like, what is your breakdown of everything and where is there a disconnect?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”