For TLSers who score 170+ in PTs, what made to accept/not accept your below-170 score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
daiff

New

For TLSers who score 170+ in PTs, what made to accept/not accept your below-170 score?

Post by daiff » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 am

Two days ago I just finished my third and hopefully last LSAT in Hongkong. It has been a long journey since I started LSAT Prep.

By the time I took my second test in last Dec, I finished all PTs for once and scored in the 160s range. I knew I fell short in RC timing. But on the test day, I not only failed in the last RC (brain scan) passage, but also the last game (swap buildings), which was usually my strength. Plus I screwed a lot more LRs than I usually did. I ended up with a 158, lowest score I ever get in my PT experience. Morale crushed, I registered this June immediately after I checked the score. Hate to sit for another year.

The Asia test this June is significantly later than US. By this time, I basically re-do the entire PTs, and scored 170-173 in like 20 of them. The rest is in 160s. I feel improved a lot in both RC and LR as I'm having a better understanding of the questions, meanwhile I might neglecting LG a little bit in my practice. And I'm confident if I'm focused and lucky, I wouldn't necessarily have timing problem. But I know I am doing the tests that I have done once before, so the scores don't really count. But I still have expectation in myself: if things go well, I'm capable to reach 170.

I think the test went smoother than I could possibly imagine. The test center opened late at around 8:45 - 8:50-ish and after a long ID check process, my first section is LR, so I immediately knew my order was gonna be LR-RC-LR-LG-LR. I finished the first 2 LR sections with extra time. The RC was smooth and I finished just in time. I stuck for a minute or two in the first game, which has 7 questions, and it pumped my adrenaline a little bit. But luckily I finished it good and even got extra to check some of them after I finished all 4 games. The last LR has two hard ass question at the end, I guess I can't complain.

If my feeling is right, my expectation would be 165+. If things go against my wish, I guess I'd have to accept anything above 160. And I'm even worrying about the grayish stain on my answer sheet because my eraser couldn't erase clean.

Since the score hasn't been released for both America and International test takers (btw anyone know if the international score release is later than US?), its probably a good idea to start coping ourselves before the bad news arrives. So for TLSers who believe you are capable of scoring 170+ and have repeatedly proven yourself in PTs, what led you to accept the fact that you are gonna live with a 160s and not gonna retake. I appreciate any thoughts sharing.

:D :P :D :P :D

guynourmin

Gold

Re: For TLSers who score 170+ in PTs, what made to accept/not accept your below-170 score?

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 am

Scoring in the low 170s on a third of the PTs on your second go doesn't scream (to me, at least) that you should be putting too much 170+ pressure on yourself. Just based on the information given here I would say putting that "I'm capable of 170+" expectation on yourself may be too much. I'm not saying you're not capable - you may well be - I just don't think telling yourself you have proven you're capable is necessary.

Anyway. I retook because I wasn't happy with my prep. I saw big holes in how I prepared the first time and knew I could be more ready on test day. So that's my question for you: what do you do different if you plan to retake? You've taken every prep test twice now. Did you BR them all twice? Do you know what you're getting wrong? Like, are you consistently getting the same kinds of questions wrong or are your wrong answers random?

chargers21

Gold

Re: For TLSers who score 170+ in PTs, what made to accept/not accept your below-170 score?

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:14 am

I was capable of scoring in the 170s and fell short on test day. For me, it was that I had exhausted my takes and didn't know that LSAC was going to change their rules to allow me to retake this fall (I was going to have to sit 2 cycles otherwise). I had already applied broadly this cycle and been accepted to nearly every school because of my high gpa, and I wasn't sure how some of them would look at me declining their offers and going into another cycle. I had also already deposited at a school when the rule changed. If I would have improved my score by 3 points to my PT average, it likely would have only netted me 30k more in scholarship money, and forced me to choose between the school that I am now going to attend and the coin flip chance I would have had at Harvard, and I wasn't going to bet on that improvement for those results and give up my already great outcome. If you have a great outcome that you are happy with and you hit 165+ and that's about your PT average, after the number of PTs you've taken I wouldn't say much improvement is likely outside of getting lucky and getting a test that plays to your advantages. Best of luck, and I hope positive results await you in the next few weeks!

Drspencerreid

New

Post by Drspencerreid » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:48 am

Random question, how did you know your entire section order upon seeing the first LR?

daiff

New

Post by daiff » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 am

guybourdin wrote:Scoring in the low 170s on a third of the PTs on your second go doesn't scream (to me, at least) that you should be putting too much 170+ pressure on yourself. Just based on the information given here I would say putting that "I'm capable of 170+" expectation on yourself may be too much. I'm not saying you're not capable - you may well be - I just don't think telling yourself you have proven you're capable is necessary.

Anyway. I retook because I wasn't happy with my prep. I saw big holes in how I prepared the first time and knew I could be more ready on test day. So that's my question for you: what do you do different if you plan to retake? You've taken every prep test twice now. Did you BR them all twice? Do you know what you're getting wrong? Like, are you consistently getting the same kinds of questions wrong or are your wrong answers random?

I agree with you. But at least for me, positive thinking and believe in myself are a large part coming to the exam.

For your questions, I BR-ed the second half of the PTs first time I did it and the first half the second time. Because I later didn't feel like changing my answers for the reason that I would like to know my score under real condition. And I haven't thought about what would I do if I retake again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daiff

New

Post by daiff » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:55 am

chargers21 wrote:I was capable of scoring in the 170s and fell short on test day. For me, it was that I had exhausted my takes and didn't know that LSAC was going to change their rules to allow me to retake this fall (I was going to have to sit 2 cycles otherwise). I had already applied broadly this cycle and been accepted to nearly every school because of my high gpa, and I wasn't sure how some of them would look at me declining their offers and going into another cycle. I had also already deposited at a school when the rule changed. If I would have improved my score by 3 points to my PT average, it likely would have only netted me 30k more in scholarship money, and forced me to choose between the school that I am now going to attend and the coin flip chance I would have had at Harvard, and I wasn't going to bet on that improvement for those results and give up my already great outcome. If you have a great outcome that you are happy with and you hit 165+ and that's about your PT average, after the number of PTs you've taken I wouldn't say much improvement is likely outside of getting lucky and getting a test that plays to your advantages. Best of luck, and I hope positive results await you in the next few weeks!

Thank you for sharing. And I didn't even know the 3x/2y rule has changed until I saw your post. I thought I am over with this test for good, but this got me thinking...

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am

Drspencerreid wrote:Random question, how did you know your entire section order upon seeing the first LR?

daiff

New

Post by daiff » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:02 am

Drspencerreid wrote:Random question, how did you know your entire section order upon seeing the first LR?

If you check the thread about June test, there are only 3 orders. Not to say they are the only possible combinations, but you can make reasonable guess.

If you start with LR, you can only get LR RC LR LG LR

If you start with RC, its either RC LR RC LR LG or RC LR LG LR LG

tada77

New

Post by tada77 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:01 pm

daiff wrote:

If you check the thread about June test, there are only 3 orders. Not to say they are the only possible combinations, but you can make reasonable guess.

Wait...isn't the international LSAT an entirely different test, though? Otherwise that'd be pretty unfair, so I think anything you read wouldn't have applied to your test. Can someone confirm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daiff

New

Post by daiff » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:17 am

tada77 wrote:
daiff wrote:

Wait...isn't the international LSAT an entirely different test, though? Otherwise that'd be pretty unfair, so I think anything you read wouldn't have applied to your test. Can someone confirm

Yes it is an entirely different test. And it's true that anything I read would not apply to my test.

daiff

New

Post by daiff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 am

Just thought to update my old post.

Disappointment eventually. Thinking about retaking 4th time.

mcat4life87

New

Post by mcat4life87 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

what did you get?

what was your average PT score in the last several weeks?

do you really need a 170 for your goals?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”