Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dreamhigh

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 am

Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Postby dreamhigh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:44 am

I have just done the June exam in Asia and am thinking to cancel the grade. Please give me some help!

My situation is,
I prepared for the exam in Feb and March, did the bibles and old 40 PT, my grade gradually climbed from 162,163 to about 168, sometimes 170+.
Then I set aside all lsat materials to do university projects and exams until May 26, rested for a few days because of health problems, and picked up the newest PT to do full length practices. The grade fluctuated from 159 to 169. The most recent ones are about 163-164.

In today's exam, I didn't have a good feeling, the 1-4 sections were normal but 5 is really bad because I was too tired. I read through several questions with no idea what they are talking about, and this one is probably not a dummy... I guess the grade is at best 166, probably 163-164, but may be as low as 15X.

My situation is,
I know what my weaknesses are and I have saved July and August for preparation. I usually get really nervous and underperform a little in an unfamiliar environment. Therefore I probably can do better in September, both in preparation and psychology.

Then should I cancel my grade this time if my target is 170+? The benefit of "not cancel" is a detailed feedback, the risk is a very bad score. I understand most universities use the highest grade, and they like neither a cancellation nor a low score. but is cancellation better than a very low grade and large discrepancy? I have my bachelor degree outside US therefore LSAT is probably the most important indicator in my application, then should I risk to wait for the June score?


Many thanks for any suggestions!!!!!

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Postby AJordan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:10 am

I usually think cancelling is a bad choice after completing the test; most people are too fatalistic. With that said, you sound like you should've withdrawn before the test since your PT averages weren't within consistent range of your goal score. If your goal is 170 you should be PTing in the 168-174 range to sit the exam. I'm not going to advise you to do either, I'm not you, but I would advise that before you take it again, and you should take it again, that you make sure your PTs are commensurate with your goal.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duhmelza12

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:00 am

Re: Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Postby duhmelza12 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 am

dreamhigh wrote:I have just done the June exam in Asia and am thinking to cancel the grade. Please give me some help!

My situation is,
I prepared for the exam in Feb and March, did the bibles and old 40 PT, my grade gradually climbed from 162,163 to about 168, sometimes 170+.
Then I set aside all lsat materials to do university projects and exams until May 26, rested for a few days because of health problems, and picked up the newest PT to do full length practices. The grade fluctuated from 159 to 169. The most recent ones are about 163-164.

In today's exam, I didn't have a good feeling, the 1-4 sections were normal but 5 is really bad because I was too tired. I read through several questions with no idea what they are talking about, and this one is probably not a dummy... I guess the grade is at best 166, probably 163-164, but may be as low as 15X.

My situation is,
I know what my weaknesses are and I have saved July and August for preparation. I usually get really nervous and underperform a little in an unfamiliar environment. Therefore I probably can do better in September, both in preparation and psychology.

Then should I cancel my grade this time if my target is 170+? The benefit of "not cancel" is a detailed feedback, the risk is a very bad score. I understand most universities use the highest grade, and they like neither a cancellation nor a low score. but is cancellation better than a very low grade and large discrepancy? I have my bachelor degree outside US therefore LSAT is probably the most important indicator in my application, then should I risk to wait for the June score?


Many thanks for any suggestions!!!!!



Keep in mind that test day conditions tend to affect most people, and it's reasonable to expect a score drop from your PT-range, even for people on their 2nd/3rd take. As you have been PT-ing in the 160s and may be expecting a 150s this time round, a 163-164 is within your normal score range, and personally I don't think it's a bad enough score to warrant cancellation - it may look like you did even worse to admissions officers. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't cancel just because I'm banking on getting 170+ in September, like above poster said, you should be PT-ing in mid-high 170s to be making that assumption.

dreamhigh

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 am

Re: Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Postby dreamhigh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 am

AJordan wrote:I usually think cancelling is a bad choice after completing the test; most people are too fatalistic. With that said, you sound like you should've withdrawn before the test since your PT averages weren't within consistent range of your goal score. If your goal is 170 you should be PTing in the 168-174 range to sit the exam. I'm not going to advise you to do either, I'm not you, but I would advise that before you take it again, and you should take it again, that you make sure your PTs are commensurate with your goal.



Many thanks!! I'll do it!
Yes Im too imprudent to take this exam, I was thinking it's better to have at least a try of the real phenomenon.

dreamhigh

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 am

Re: Thanks for your help: cancel or not?

Postby dreamhigh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 am

duhmelza12 wrote:
dreamhigh wrote:I have just done the June exam in Asia and am thinking to cancel the grade. Please give me some help!

My situation is,
I prepared for the exam in Feb and March, did the bibles and old 40 PT, my grade gradually climbed from 162,163 to about 168, sometimes 170+.
Then I set aside all lsat materials to do university projects and exams until May 26, rested for a few days because of health problems, and picked up the newest PT to do full length practices. The grade fluctuated from 159 to 169. The most recent ones are about 163-164.

In today's exam, I didn't have a good feeling, the 1-4 sections were normal but 5 is really bad because I was too tired. I read through several questions with no idea what they are talking about, and this one is probably not a dummy... I guess the grade is at best 166, probably 163-164, but may be as low as 15X.

My situation is,
I know what my weaknesses are and I have saved July and August for preparation. I usually get really nervous and underperform a little in an unfamiliar environment. Therefore I probably can do better in September, both in preparation and psychology.

Then should I cancel my grade this time if my target is 170+? The benefit of "not cancel" is a detailed feedback, the risk is a very bad score. I understand most universities use the highest grade, and they like neither a cancellation nor a low score. but is cancellation better than a very low grade and large discrepancy? I have my bachelor degree outside US therefore LSAT is probably the most important indicator in my application, then should I risk to wait for the June score?


Many thanks for any suggestions!!!!!



Keep in mind that test day conditions tend to affect most people, and it's reasonable to expect a score drop from your PT-range, even for people on their 2nd/3rd take. As you have been PT-ing in the 160s and may be expecting a 150s this time round, a 163-164 is within your normal score range, and personally I don't think it's a bad enough score to warrant cancellation - it may look like you did even worse to admissions officers. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't cancel just because I'm banking on getting 170+ in September, like above poster said, you should be PT-ing in mid-high 170s to be making that assumption.


Thanks for your advice! I didn't even think about withdraw because all my known friends have taken at least twice and they encouraged me to at least try out T T



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests