1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

User avatar
dm1683
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby dm1683 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
TheNextElleWoods wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
TheNextElleWoods wrote:I never stated that people should go into debt. I stated that you shouldn't discourage tier 2 law schools. You are clarifying tier 1 as the first 25 schools and are not following the actual tiers. If you get a good LSAT and have a good GPA, you may actually have a better shot at a scholarship at a tier 2 school or low-end tier 1. There are PLENTY of schools that you can go to for less than $75,000 for your entire J.D. and too many people are focused on "If I don't go to a top 14 law school, I won't be a good lawyer!" That's crap and clearly misleading. As I stated above several posts ago, I know several lawyers who have gone to a tier 2 law school and who have gone to a tier 1 and have the SAME job, same pay, and the tier 1 typically have the higher loan amounts. And you can also lower your costs by establishing residency in the state that you are going to go to (if you can) and not overextending yourself. You are saying that you should never go to 51+ without a full scholarship, when in reality, they may be more affordable with some scholarship over a lower ranked school that you could lose your scholarship at because you are competing with top students from all around the country.


So you've just outed yourself as terrible at making logical inferences - not someone I would trust on LSAT related questions, since you know, that's one of the most basic skills the LSAT tests against. Anecdotal correlation does not equal causation. In fact, your argument doesn't even prove that either of those TT or T1 people have *good* outcomes, just you're saying that some from both groups end up in the same bucket (the trash bucket).

Words to anyone looking on this site for advice: Don't take advice from anyone who tries to tie themselves to Elle Woods.


I don't need you to trust me on LSAT questions, but I appreciate the input! But thank you for being super rude on a post that we are have a discussion, not attacking one another.


Truth hurts kiddo. And I definitely wouldn't trust you on LSAT questions. Or anything else. T2 is trash. Don't go (unless you've got a full ride and are okay with small firm life).

If you want to give bad advice and get encouraged for doing so, r/LSAT is on reddit.

Damn, right between the ribs.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7097
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby Mikey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:35 am

diagnostics are crap

study hard and you can end up doing well. I recommend using 7sage's free logic games videos on youtube, and if you like them enough, I recommend getting one of their full courses. I have studied with 7sage for quite some time and almost all of my improvement has come from them and doing tons of practice. I've heard great things about the LSAT trainer as well, especially for getting the gist of the whole exam, so check it out and see if you want to start there. if you're looking for actual in-class courses though, can't help ya there since I don't know much about them.

good luck!

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7097
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby Mikey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am

146 is more of a tier 3 score, not tier 2. sure some tier 2's MAY accept someone with a 146, but it would most likely be due to URM status and/or high GPA. tier 2's typically range in the 150's though.

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby it's allgood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:06 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
TheNextElleWoods wrote:I never stated that people should go into debt. I stated that you shouldn't discourage tier 2 law schools. You are clarifying tier 1 as the first 25 schools and are not following the actual tiers. If you get a good LSAT and have a good GPA, you may actually have a better shot at a scholarship at a tier 2 school or low-end tier 1. There are PLENTY of schools that you can go to for less than $75,000 for your entire J.D. and too many people are focused on "If I don't go to a top 14 law school, I won't be a good lawyer!" That's crap and clearly misleading. As I stated above several posts ago, I know several lawyers who have gone to a tier 2 law school and who have gone to a tier 1 and have the SAME job, same pay, and the tier 1 typically have the higher loan amounts. And you can also lower your costs by establishing residency in the state that you are going to go to (if you can) and not overextending yourself. You are saying that you should never go to 51+ without a full scholarship, when in reality, they may be more affordable with some scholarship over a lower ranked school that you could lose your scholarship at because you are competing with top students from all around the country.


So you've just outed yourself as terrible at making logical inferences - not someone I would trust on LSAT related questions, since you know, that's one of the most basic skills the LSAT tests against. Anecdotal correlation does not equal causation. In fact, your argument doesn't even prove that either of those TT or T1 people have *good* outcomes, just you're saying that some from both groups end up in the same bucket (the trash bucket).

Words to anyone looking on this site for advice: Don't take advice from anyone who tries to tie themselves to Elle Woods.


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
S. Goodman
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
TheNextElleWoods wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
TheNextElleWoods wrote:I never stated that people should go into debt. I stated that you shouldn't discourage tier 2 law schools. You are clarifying tier 1 as the first 25 schools and are not following the actual tiers. If you get a good LSAT and have a good GPA, you may actually have a better shot at a scholarship at a tier 2 school or low-end tier 1. There are PLENTY of schools that you can go to for less than $75,000 for your entire J.D. and too many people are focused on "If I don't go to a top 14 law school, I won't be a good lawyer!" That's crap and clearly misleading. As I stated above several posts ago, I know several lawyers who have gone to a tier 2 law school and who have gone to a tier 1 and have the SAME job, same pay, and the tier 1 typically have the higher loan amounts. And you can also lower your costs by establishing residency in the state that you are going to go to (if you can) and not overextending yourself. You are saying that you should never go to 51+ without a full scholarship, when in reality, they may be more affordable with some scholarship over a lower ranked school that you could lose your scholarship at because you are competing with top students from all around the country.


So you've just outed yourself as terrible at making logical inferences - not someone I would trust on LSAT related questions, since you know, that's one of the most basic skills the LSAT tests against. Anecdotal correlation does not equal causation. In fact, your argument doesn't even prove that either of those TT or T1 people have *good* outcomes, just you're saying that some from both groups end up in the same bucket (the trash bucket).

Words to anyone looking on this site for advice: Don't take advice from anyone who tries to tie themselves to Elle Woods.


I don't need you to trust me on LSAT questions, but I appreciate the input! But thank you for being super rude on a post that we are have a discussion, not attacking one another.


Truth hurts kiddo. And I definitely wouldn't trust you on LSAT questions. Or anything else. T2 is trash. Don't go (unless you've got a full ride and are okay with small firm life).

If you want to give bad advice and get encouraged for doing so, r/LSAT is on reddit.



There are some T2's with really low in state tuition as well. Definitely something to consider. Most people will end up in mid to small firms anyway, T1 notwithstanding.

User avatar
ExpertonBIRDLAW
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby ExpertonBIRDLAW » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm

146 isn't too shabby, have you signed up for any classes or decided on self-studying?

Ufgirl
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby Ufgirl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:56 pm

ExpertonBIRDLAW wrote:146 isn't too shabby, have you signed up for any classes or decided on self-studying?


I signed up for a local LSAT organization that has been in operation about 30 years. I am positive my next will be much higher. Just knowing the format and then some studying. I am aiming for 165 to get in to UF with my GPA. Of course I want to get into 170's but all I need is 60's.

bcjets212
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:35 am

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby bcjets212 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Most of the time I sit around reading the cynics on this board and laugh, but tonight I can't help myself.

First off, no one can tell you what you should "expect" from studying, both high and low. I started at a 153 and ended up getting a 180 and in my nearly a decade of teaching LSAT, I've seen countless high 20+ improvements. At the same time, not everyone has the underlying skill-set / ability necessary to achieve those improvements. Only mark I've seen, is that pretty much anyone can improve at least 10 points with hard work and a decent curriculum. Where any individual's "cap" is can only be found after going for it (and even then, a change in curriculum / approach could potentially squeeze more out). So bottom line, don't worry about what the theoretical improvement is. Work hard, study right, go for as many points as possible and after your course is done see where your practices come in. Only then can you truly assess what your personal potential is.

Second, people on here's obsession with "T13 or full ride" or anything similar is (1) not totally wrong, but definitely far from totally true, (2) not accounting for prospective changes as the tremendous shortage of LSAT takers over the last 3-4 years matriculate in the coming years, (3) often relies on the false presumption that success/money = big law only, and (4) tends to presume that people's decision to become a lawyer is based primarily on financial goals.

Most notably to my first point, there are many T2 and even T3 law schools where large number of students have very successful careers, both in the short term and long, including those in Big law. This is especially true in Florida, particularly South Florida. As a former student and a well established LSAT tutor in south florida, I can assure you that UM, FSU, UF, and heck, even FIU and Nova have students getting solid-to-great jobs. Where I said the cynics are not wrong is that over the last 5 years, this isn't most students (i.e. you do need to do well in school), but it is not the impossibility or even incredible rarity that the cynics like to make it seem. Plus, as I mentioned, we're about to approach the 5th cycle of tremendously lower number of LSAT takers / future lawyers, which will, at the very least, benefit the market for your future.

So really at the end of the day, don't let anyone tell you one way or the other anything. Be educated, understand your options and goals, and give yourself the best chance to achieve success, whatever that may be.

/rant

Tcookphl
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby Tcookphl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Aiming for a T2 school is NOT a bad idea whatsoever. For instance, if you want to practice in Philadelphia most of the legal market is comprised of Temple Law graduates. Even Villanova has a great reputation in the city as well. You can search bios at Morgan Lewis, Reed Smith, Fox Rothschild, Cozen O'Conner...etc. We have an amazing network of Temple grads here. While I'm aiming for Columbia, I know I can have a great career in Philly with a Temple Law degree. I wouldn't discount Tier 2 schools at all. It's actually smart to look at cities you'd like to practice in (NY is probably not the best example because its legal market is comprised of T1 schools)and the "feeder schools" for that legal market. You'd be surprised that some T2 schools are on that list.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 am

Tcookphl wrote:Aiming for a T2 school is NOT a bad idea whatsoever. For instance, if you want to practice in Philadelphia most of the legal market is comprised of Temple Law graduates. Even Villanova has a great reputation in the city as well. You can search bios at Morgan Lewis, Reed Smith, Fox Rothschild, Cozen O'Conner...etc. We have an amazing network of Temple grads here. While I'm aiming for Columbia, I know I can have a great career in Philly with a Temple Law degree. I wouldn't discount Tier 2 schools at all. It's actually smart to look at cities you'd like to practice in (NY is probably not the best example because its legal market is comprised of T1 schools)and the "feeder schools" for that legal market. You'd be surprised that some T2 schools are on that list.

No to all of this.

User avatar
barkschool
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: 1st Cold Practice LSAT..146

Postby barkschool » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Tcookphl wrote:Aiming for a T2 school is NOT a bad idea whatsoever. For instance, if you want to practice in Philadelphia most of the legal market is comprised of Temple Law graduates. Even Villanova has a great reputation in the city as well. You can search bios at Morgan Lewis, Reed Smith, Fox Rothschild, Cozen O'Conner...etc. We have an amazing network of Temple grads here. While I'm aiming for Columbia, I know I can have a great career in Philly with a Temple Law degree. I wouldn't discount Tier 2 schools at all. It's actually smart to look at cities you'd like to practice in (NY is probably not the best example because its legal market is comprised of T1 schools)and the "feeder schools" for that legal market. You'd be surprised that some T2 schools are on that list.


LOLOLOLOLOL




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: studystudystudy, Tape Dog and 3 guests