June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
7
5%
175+
6
4%
173+
21
15%
170+
25
18%
167+
27
19%
165+
16
11%
163+
14
10%
160+
8
6%
159 -
16
11%
 
Total votes: 140

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Platopus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
amta wrote:
jmr2207 wrote:More money than I thought I'd be making. And more hours than I thought I'd be working. :)


if you're clearing 80k you should not go to law school


uhoh


Big uh oh.
1) 80k is not a lot of money
2) maybe some of us don't want to go to law school for the money


I'm certainly not in it for the money. If I was, I wouldn't have turned down a very lucrative offer from a particular tech company 2 years in a row.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm

saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


do you live in san francisco or nyc?

User avatar
Amerision

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:22 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Amerision » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:23 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:
drink more.


I'm "literal child" on the poll, unfortunately.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:23 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
amta wrote:
jmr2207 wrote:More money than I thought I'd be making. And more hours than I thought I'd be working. :)


if you're clearing 80k you should not go to law school


uhoh


Big uh oh.
1) 80k is not a lot of money
2) maybe some of us don't want to go to law school for the money

while I agree with point two, point one is false imo... with 80g in some towns you live as a king, unless your angle was NYC or somewhere in which case you're right.


False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


pro tip: buy your guns when you arrive

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


pro tip: buy your guns when you arrive


shouts to Albania!

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Amerision wrote:
I'm "literal child" on the poll, unfortunately.



I'm the other literal child, hi :(
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Typing Puppy

Silver
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Typing Puppy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:

tru tru.


June waiters, what stage are you at in the waiting game now? Are you constantly trying to pour over questions and remember answers? In denial about your potential score? Contemplating retaking?

Has anyone reached the excessive drinking stage yet?


complete. and. total. apathy.

it hits much quicker the third time around...

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Typing Puppy wrote:complete. and. total. apathy.

it hits much quicker the third time around...


dude, stop talking about the lsat.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Platopus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


80K is PLENTY. Stastically you don't get any happier over 80K. Also, cost of living matters. Living in southern WI, I only pay $530 a month for rent in a newly remodel townhouse with a garage and a backyard.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm

saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.

not necessarily.

If you got a job paying 80g in your mid 20s and lived pretty frugal to accrue savings until you met a significant other, whom you settled down with after dating for 5 years and decided to get a house with kids then put 60g down on a 250g house. The mortgage payment in my area would be about 300-700 a month pending in area which would be enough to pay for food and the significant other could watch the child(ren) while living a comfortable lifestyle.

Or you could do what my friends making 80+ are and not save shit of it and lease a S class to stunt on people.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:30 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.

not necessarily.

If you got a job paying 80g in your mid 20s and lived pretty frugal to accrue savings until you met a significant other, whom you settled down with after dating for 5 years and decided to get a house with kids then put 60g down on a 250g house. The mortgage payment in my area would be about 300-700 a month pending in area which would be enough to pay for food and the significant other could watch the child(ren) while living a comfortable lifestyle.

Or you could do what my friends making 80+ are and not save shit of it and lease a S class to stunt on people.


okay, im sorry i started this debate.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm

amta wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.

not necessarily.

If you got a job paying 80g in your mid 20s and lived pretty frugal to accrue savings until you met a significant other, whom you settled down with after dating for 5 years and decided to get a house with kids then put 60g down on a 250g house. The mortgage payment in my area would be about 300-700 a month pending in area which would be enough to pay for food and the significant other could watch the child(ren) while living a comfortable lifestyle.

Or you could do what my friends making 80+ are and not save shit of it and lease a S class to stunt on people.


okay, im sorry i started this debate.

eh.
It differs from region to region. There, debate over.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Walliums » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Platopus wrote:I only pay $530 a month for rent in a newly remodel townhouse with a garage and a backyard.


That sounds lovely.

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
If you got a job paying 80g in your mid 20s and lived pretty frugal to accrue savings until you met a significant other, whom you settled down with after dating for 5 years and decided to get a house with kids then put 60g down on a 250g house. The mortgage payment in my area would be about 300-700 a month pending in area which would be enough to pay for food and the significant other could watch the child(ren) while living a comfortable lifestyle.

Or you could do what my friends making 80+ are and not save shit of it and lease a S class to stunt on people.




God, my mortgage is over $2k... And I definitely put down way more than 60K.
Last edited by Experiment626 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby dm1683 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm

amta wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


do you live in san francisco or nyc?


+1000

Anyway, since I'm really young (turn 21 in August), I'm considering taking a year off and working. Maybe get a job down in Chi. Problem is that no one wants to hire a history major fresh out of school from a no-name state university, so I'd probably be stuck working retail just like I am now lol.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Jack_Kelly » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm

amta wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:Who here is likely taking a gap year? I am and I feel like most people frown upon it somewhat. Thoughts?

Might be what I end up doing. I'd like to hike the AT, I've tried and failed to get several people to do at least half of it with me, had 2 friends back out :/


neverL

eta: do it solo. it's so popular you'll never be alone.

Maybe, and I have thought about it/might do it if I can't bully a friend into it. I am not remotely socially gifted but am super close to a few friends I've had forever, think there's a good chance I'd be pretty lonely.

User avatar
LesPaul1995

Bronze
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:37 pm

vtdelt wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:Who here is likely taking a gap year? I am and I feel like most people frown upon it somewhat. Thoughts?


Define gap year. As in get accepted and defer, just not apply for another cycle, or are you literally talking graduating from college and waiting a year to apply? Remember the age spread of this group is kinda wide, 20-40, so you need to be more specific.


Yeah, a gap year in between undergrad and law school is what I meant. I know it's pretty common and actually helpful to get more experience, so I don't know why their is a bad stigma around it in some circles today.

i dont really think theres a stigma?


None according to the admissions people I've talked to at the DC schools when trying to figure out my chances. They all liked that I'm almost 12 years out and have made the conscious decision to go to school because it shows "responsibility" or something to that effect.


Some older people (ahem, parents) do not seem to understand it, is what I mean to say. Admissions people surely do understand, some even encourage it.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 pm

.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 pm

vtdelt wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
If you got a job paying 80g in your mid 20s and lived pretty frugal to accrue savings until you met a significant other, whom you settled down with after dating for 5 years and decided to get a house with kids then put 60g down on a 250g house. The mortgage payment in my area would be about 300-700 a month pending in area which would be enough to pay for food and the significant other could watch the child(ren) while living a comfortable lifestyle.

Or you could do what my friends making 80+ are and not save shit of it and lease a S class to stunt on people.




God, my mortgage is over $2k... And I definitely put down way more than 60K.

my neighbour put down ~50 on a house 300-X-500 and iirc their mortgage was close to a grand a month.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 pm

dm1683 wrote:
amta wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:False. 80k barely gives you food after a mortgage, daycare, and all the other bills.

As far as the peace corps, I could do that, will they let me keep all my guns though, seems counter intuitive.


do you live in san francisco or nyc?


+1000

Anyway, since I'm really young (turn 21 in August), I'm considering taking a year off and working. Maybe get a job down in Chi. Problem is that no one wants to hire a history major fresh out of school from a no-name state university, so I'd probably be stuck working retail just like I am now lol.


doesn't matter what you do, just take time off.

User avatar
calmike

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby calmike » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm

vtdelt wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:
tru tru.


June waiters, what stage are you at in the waiting game now? Are you constantly trying to pour over questions and remember answers? In denial about your potential score? Contemplating retaking?

Has anyone reached the excessive drinking stage yet?


I gave up after giving myself a 6 point spread because I don't remember a lot from LR except a few question topics. I think I did better in my actual two than the exp LR I had but I don't know. At this point, just have to wait. Can't drink, still have a FT job where everything is on fire at the moment so at least the extra hours I'll be putting in at work will keep me distracted for the next 3-4 weeks.



I just hope I scored 165+

My last 5 PTs had an average of 168 so hopefully I scored +-3. Theres a small hope I got a 170+ but with that RC and tough LR2, I dont think it will happen. I am going to drink tomorrow night haha

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby amta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Maybe, and I have thought about it/might do it if I can't bully a friend into it. I am not remotely socially gifted but am super close to a few friends I've had forever, think there's a good chance I'd be pretty lonely.


another poster on here did the PCT last year and the CDT this year. both solo. he's having a great time.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Everyone ITT: MORTGAGES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!

law schools: hold my beer

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Just my cents on the 80k argument.

80k is enough for me to live like a king. I'm single. 25. have an excellent job. max out my retirement account. invest on my own. still am saving money. own a house (found a sweet deal on a place - 1600 sq ft house with a double garage for $430 a month mortgage - put 25% down out of grad school). That being said, it's because I live in Alabama. Everything here is cheap.

I'm not going to LS because of money.

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Everyone ITT: MORTGAGES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!

law schools: hold my beer


My LS debt will be maybe half of my mortgage debt...



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests