June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
5%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 140

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Platopus wrote:
I think that makes us significantly more likely than most of the population to be sociopaths. (fun fact of the day about the NTJ type)

I'm certainly not a sociopath, but I definitely see how I share some characteristics.

Haha I would hope none of us are. But yep, I have from time to time seen things in myself where I was like :shock:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/article ... -sociopath

I definitely have: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 the rest, not so much.

Hah. That article makes me feel way better about myself. I'm really only guilty of 1-3

Pardon my ignorance, but are sociopaths and psychopaths different? I heard law and medicine attract a good portion of psychopaths, but the last point--failure to follow any life plan--contradicts this. No way in hell would someone without any life plan would study and sit for the MCAT, let alone med school.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 pm

vtdelt wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:What is a thing yall want to do now that you're done with the lsat for at least a month?
Any new hobbies??

I want to join some language classes, and brush up on some that I speak.

Soccer, app stuff, diablo 3 when the necro gets released. Maybe even dates if someone seems worth the time but doubt it on that.

Don't give up on the dates things. I was ready to swear that off after the train wreck that my last relationship was, but then I randomly met someone and am back in the game starting Friday. Really coincided nicely with the end of LSAT studying

-_-

Nah, I like being the bitter, jaded, old gay that's wary of people's intentions cuz guys suck.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Platopus wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:While I think most people would default to Chopin, I think one could argue Debussy is just as important in the impact that their work has had today on contemporary music. Debussy contained a certain dissonance that one unfamiliar with any of Debussy's work could still infer by listening to jazz, evolving into R&B etc., without even consciously realizing it. That being said, even Debussy said "Chopin is the greatest". While there may be more originality at work in Debussy's work as a whole (as in his body of work, as far as the repertoire goes), Chopin has some pieces that are more iconic than Debussy's work as a whole.

Which test was this from?

Wynton Marsalis was too traditional, damnit. Poor guy put out 15 records in 2 YEARS and still couldn't catch a break.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
I've recently learned Chopin's Nocturne Opus 9 No. 2 and I'm trying to synthesize it with Beethoven's Opus 27 No. 2 to create something relatively new. I finally have time to start composing, unless the LSAT somehow destroyed me Monday and I need to start studying heavily after the first week in July.

Ah that was my first Chopin! Did you get around to his etudes? Op. 25 No.11 gave me nightmares.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:What is a thing yall want to do now that you're done with the lsat for at least a month?
Any new hobbies??

Studying for GRE and HSK. Soon, but like next week :p

Debating about studying for gre as well

Let's do this!

I wonder how much lsat stuff transfers over

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but are sociopaths and psychopaths different? I heard law and medicine attract a good portion of psychopaths, but the last point--failure to follow any life plan--contradicts this. No way in hell would someone without any life plan would study and sit for the MCAT, let alone med school.

Pretty sure they are the same, neither of which is an actual diagnosis according to DSM-V, but whatever, I think it's technically called anti-social personality disorder.

But I think you'd be surprised. A lot of lawyers/doctors are the smart, but bored type. They study hard and go to school because they can think of nothing else to do with their lives.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:While I think most people would default to Chopin, I think one could argue Debussy is just as important in the impact that their work has had today on contemporary music. Debussy contained a certain dissonance that one unfamiliar with any of Debussy's work could still infer by listening to jazz, evolving into R&B etc., without even consciously realizing it. That being said, even Debussy said "Chopin is the greatest". While there may be more originality at work in Debussy's work as a whole (as in his body of work, as far as the repertoire goes), Chopin has some pieces that are more iconic than Debussy's work as a whole.

Which test was this from?

Wynton Marsalis was too traditional, damnit. Poor guy put out 15 records in 2 YEARS and still couldn't catch a break.

RETRO IDEALISM

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Any new hobbies??

I haven't played golf in about three months, and I haven't done much pleasure reading lately, so I plan to make up for lost time in both areas. I don't know if anyone is into military history, but I plan on dedicating my newfound free time to finishing the last book in Rick Atkinson's Liberation trilogy. I read an Army at Dawn over Christmas break, and used The Day of Battle as a reward after powering through LSAT homework, so I'm excited to wrap it up.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 am

Random: what are people's thoughts on investment banking?

chicharon

Silver

Postby chicharon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 am

Hiii, just dropping by and wishing y'all luck :)

lillelord

New

Postby lillelord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Any new hobbies??

I haven't played golf in about three months, and I haven't done much pleasure reading lately, so I plan to make up for lost time in both areas. I don't know if anyone is into military history, but I plan on dedicating my newfound free time to finishing the last book in Rick Atkinson's Liberation trilogy. I read an Army at Dawn over Christmas break, and used The Day of Battle as a reward after powering through LSAT homework, so I'm excited to wrap it up.

I really enjoyed Three Armies on the Somme, and have been deeply invested in Blitzed and KL for the last few days, on a side note, do you know if Golf is still a big thing for upper-class recreation? Should I learn how to golf if I'm gunning for biglaw?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 am

Now that I'm finally done with the LSAT, I'm gonna read the autobiography of Malcolm X, finish Dirty Wars, and maybe read some Nietzsche for pretentious purposes.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:What do y'all do

21/m/ITA

Philosophy graduate, I'm gonna start a summer diploma in international politics from a great think tank in Milan and the Harvard summer school in Venice, starting next week, so my summer is booked!
Moving to the UK in Sept for business school (Msc in Management).
In the meantime: tv series, a couple of novels, a philosophy classic (to be decided) and a considerable amount of wine and cocktail during the venetian summertime! 8)

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:39 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:Now that I'm finally done with the LSAT, I'm gonna read the autobiography of Malcolm X, finish Dirty Wars, and maybe read some Nietzsche for pretentious purposes.

I was planning to read some Nietzsche this summer too! I'm a philosophy major but I feel like I haven't had enough exposure to Nietzsche during my time in undergrad. I've had a couple of books in my cart on Amazon for a while now.

Unfortunately, yesterday I was feeling nostalgic and bought the Sims 4 because it was 50% off and now I'm unsure if I'll manage to do much of anything this summer :lol:
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:29 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:What do y'all do

Part time IT helpdesk support and full time student. 21/M/Fl

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Platopus wrote:Would you folks say you're more extroverted or more introverted or about even?

Edit: I'm super introverted. Quit making me feel bad about all this date talk...

I was 100% I on the Myers Briggs or whatever for what that's worth.

OH HELL YEAH. MYERS BRIGGS TYPE CALL-IN THREAD RIGHT NOW FOR JUNE PEEPS

I'm ENTJ (classic electrical engineer)

ENTJ Represent!

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 am

Clearly I have been spending too much time playing video games and on Duolingo and not enough time on TLS.

I started on Duolingo because I have so much free time at work now, and things won't really start picking up at work again for another week or so. And even then, I don't think it will be a lot. I'm waiting for my score to come out before I start on apps because I want to know whether I should fully throw myself in or start studying for a retake.

Also I am an INTJ. But like Plato I can play the E when needed

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am

At the point where the score I think I got is dropping every day

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:At the point where the score I think I got is dropping every day

Polar opposite here. The more I think about it/see people on reddit break the rules and discuss questions, the more confident I am in my LR performance (thinking at this point I may have gotten all of the ones I thought were really difficult), and the more I think about RC, I can only think of 2 or 3 questions where I couldn't 100% justify my answer from the text.

Really feeling good. Initial thought was 171. Think I'm feeling 174 now. Trying not to get too excited though - especially if it turns out to be lower than originally anticipated. I think that would crush me.

Amerision

Bronze

Postby Amerision » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:At the point where the score I think I got is dropping every day

Fully expecting a 165 at this point.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am

Polar opposite here. The more I think about it/see people on reddit break the rules and discuss questions, the more confident I am in my LR performance (thinking at this point I may have gotten all of the ones I thought were really difficult), and the more I think about RC, I can only think of 2 or 3 questions where I couldn't 100% justify my answer from the text.

Really feeling good. Initial thought was 171. Think I'm feeling 174 now. Trying not to get too excited though - especially if it turns out to be lower than originally anticipated. I think that would crush me.

It's hard bc I'm pretty sure I missed 3 in LR2 and one in games. But I'm not sure how I did in LR one or RC, like I think I did fine but I could be way off....

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

It's hard bc I'm pretty sure I missed 3 in LR2 and one in games. But I'm not sure how I did in LR one or RC, like I think I did fine but I could be way off....

My big concern was the 25Q LR section (the one with isotopes), but I'm fairly certain now that I got that and a bunch of the other hard ones (plus the weird set of ACs concerned me - is that allowed?)

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:09 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

My big concern was the 25Q LR section (the one with isotopes), but I'm fairly certain now that I got that and a bunch of the other hard ones (plus the weird set of ACs concerned me - is that allowed?)

I think since everyone got it you're fine lol

Yeah I know I got isotopes wrong and a couple others so that's a bummer. Now I'm just trying to convert my estimate score to a scaled one lol

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 am

Same here. My 20 past PT's before the test all have been 175+, but I can't help but to think nerves got to me and I choked, especially on the LR because I can remember virtually NOTHING from it.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:Random: what are people's thoughts on investment banking?

Did 2 IB front-office internships in 2 bulge-brackets. It's exciting. Hours are brutal though (as expected).

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 am

lynn.wibi wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:Random: what are people's thoughts on investment banking?

Did 2 IB front-office internships in 2 bulge-brackets. It's exciting. Hours are brutal though (as expected).

Is it anything like Billions? In my mind (I know it's wrong), biglaw is still just like Suits. I'm hoping my vision of IB isn't ruined as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?