June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
5%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 140

Walliums

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby Walliums » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
Platopus wrote:The more I think about this test, the more i think my score actually hinges on LR, not RC. LG pretty confident is -0 after playing through the one question I was unsure of (remembered all the rules and the AC I chose, it checks out). RC was hard, but my worst RC performance is maybe a -5. Additionally I had RC first, so I remember the least from that section. Realistically though, wouldn't be surprised at a -2 to -5 RC.

Now LR I thought was really, really easy. My one main concern in section 2 has been allieviated. Others agree it was fairly easy/straightforward, so unless i bit on every trap answer, -1 or -2 combined seems reasonable. However, I in the later tests, I felt like i went -1/-2 and actually went -4/-5, so thats scary. But, tests 40-60 when i felt like -1 it usually was. So I've determined my scores really hinges on how well I did on LR.

The LR section to me feels like a complete blur looking back. I am not sure if it was adrenaline or what it was exactly. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I can't remember any of the first LR section as it was being drowned out by my internal screaming.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Legit question: what if they can't read your handwriting? I think my writing section is pretty good but I have some atrocious handwriting and it's an antiquated practice at this point. Sometimes I can't even read my own handwriting. I made an effort to make my writing sample as legible as possible but I can see how someone might be confused at a few words.

I was actually thinking this very question as I was writing my essay, and so I tried to make it more legible than usual. Nonetheless, my judgment at this point in the test was weak to the point I actually thought a word was misspelled, erased it, and then realized the original was correct. If they are confused at a few of our words, they will be able to read context and work around it, as I am sure they understand what we just went through, lol.

Typing Puppy

Silver

Postby Typing Puppy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:22 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Legit question: what if they can't read your handwriting? I think my writing section is pretty good but I have some atrocious handwriting and it's an antiquated practice at this point. Sometimes I can't even read my own handwriting. I made an effort to make my writing sample as legible as possible but I can see how someone might be confused at a few words.

They do make a point to say in the instructions to "make sure your writing is legible," but Digital LSAT will make this a non-issue soon. They give you a keyboard and it's SO much better.

I always found strange the directive not to erase, but to cross out mistakes. I ignore this every time. Are they just worried about erasures not being reproduced correctly or what?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:35 pm

vtdelt wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Ilovemydogxo wrote:For the writing section I argued that the councilor should build a wall around his district.

I referred to the councilor as "she" at least 15 times.

I almost started referring to them as he but forced myself to write out "the councilor" every damn time to make sure there wasn't some weird gender assignment analysis on the off chance someone can read my horrible hand writing and pays attention to my essay.

First sentence wrote out city councilor Ted and then referred to him as simply Ted for the remainder of the essay.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I think what also might be contributing to my "blur" on LR was that it seems like I studied particular things profusely (like premise/conclusion indicators and contrapositives), yet I did not consciously apply them on test day as much as I had done on prep tests. I think I may have recently mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Typing Puppy wrote:

They do make a point to say in the instructions to "make sure your writing is legible," but Digital LSAT will make this a non-issue soon. They give you a keyboard and it's SO much better.

I always found strange the directive not to erase, but to cross out mistakes. I ignore this every time. Are they just worried about erasures not being reproduced correctly or what?

Erasures look like hell when it gets scanned into the machine. Even if you erase properly/completely, everything looks smudged and greyed out so it's really difficult to see what you wrote over the erased part. I believe it has something to do with the way it reads in the pages (the scanner/imager in part depends on graphite content on the page, and 'complete' erasures don't eliminate all of this)

Typing Puppy

Silver

Postby Typing Puppy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Typing Puppy wrote:

Erasures look like hell when it gets scanned into the machine. Even if you erase properly/completely, everything looks smudged and greyed out so it's really difficult to see what you wrote over the erased part. I believe it has something to do with the way it reads in the pages (the scanner/imager in part depends on graphite content on the page, and 'complete' erasures don't eliminate all of this)

It's cool, they're not missing much

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:40 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:I think what also might be contributing to my "blur" on LR was that it seems like I studied particular things profusely (like premise/conclusion indicators and contrapositives), yet I did not consciously apply them on test day as much as I had done on prep tests. I think I may have recently mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Do many people do this consistently on the real thing? I found that when I was first learning LR, I needed to do that sort of thing, but as I got more comfortable/took more sections, it became second nature, and I really only had to bust out the formal tools for particularly difficult to follow questions or super complicated parallel reasoning questions

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:47 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:I think what also might be contributing to my "blur" on LR was that it seems like I studied particular things profusely (like premise/conclusion indicators and contrapositives), yet I did not consciously apply them on test day as much as I had done on prep tests. I think I may have recently mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Do many people do this consistently on the real thing? I found that when I was first learning LR, I needed to do that sort of thing, but as I got more comfortable/took more sections, it became second nature, and I really only had to bust out the formal tools for particularly difficult to follow questions or super complicated parallel reasoning questions

I have heard high scorers typically diagram less than most, and it indeed is relative. In my post I made it seem like I consistently diagram and consciously analyze structure on my previous PT's, but in reality, similar to what it sounds like you do, I would only apply it to 2, maybe 3 questions a section. I only recall diagramming 2 questions on this test. I do feel like it became so mechanistic during the test I didn't really even think about those kinds of strategies, probably because it has become second nature, like you said.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Come on guys

Shit post more

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm

What do y'all do

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:What do y'all do

I'm a former model, but nobody here would likely recognize my name.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:

I'm a former model, but nobody here would likely recognize my name.

Pics for proof mate.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:05 pm

heyduchess wrote:Out of curiosity... Where my non-trad splitters at?! You panicking yet, fam? Because I am!

This makes me want to do a throwback....

A/s/l everyone, I'll start
30/m/PA

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Ilovemydogxo wrote:For the writing section I argued that the councilor should build a wall around his district.

I referred to the councilor as "she" at least 15 times.

Haha, I wrote down he and then thought, hmmm if someone actually reads this, it will look much better if a white male calls the councilor she, and from there on out, it was she or council woman

Oh and at the end I skipped a few lines, drew a picture and said, if you're reading this, thanks for your consideration!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 pm

no unsubstantiated claims itt tyia

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Ummm.. uhh.. I think mine may be obvious. WBU MBC?

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I do HR for a Federal agency.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Out of curiosity... Where my non-trad splitters at?! You panicking yet, fam? Because I am!

This makes me want to do a throwback....

A/s/l everyone, I'll start
30/m/PA

34/M/DC

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm a stay at home son.

very prestigious career path, might I say.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 pm

vtdelt wrote:

I do HR for a Federal agency.

hire me

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Ummm.. uhh.. I think mine may be obvious. WBU MBC?

funemployment. i was temping but then decided to wait till lolsat was over to work

im "in legal"

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:51 pm

This test was especially light on the formal reasoning/logic, and the Q's with it were really easy and straight forward, so I'd be surprised if it was even necessary for this test.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Platopus wrote:

This test was especially light on the formal reasoning/logic, and the Q's with it were really easy and straight forward, so I'd be surprised if it was even necessary for this test.

Yep, I don't actually remember if I actually wrote anything down in any of my three LR sections. I think there might have been one parallel flaw where I drew a couple of arrows, but that may have been a practice test I took a week ago. These things all run together in my head now

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Anyone else experiencing post-parLSATum depression?

Every Wednesday for like the past three months I've taken a PT after getting off work, and I didn't know what the hell to do with myself when I left the office today :oops:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?