June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 141

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Anyone know where they're applying?

Harvard, Columbia, NYU, UVA, Michigan, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UT, Vandy. Some of the T13 is conspicuously missing but those I wouldn't seriously consider and/or don't think would be helpful for negotiating with my main targets. Will think about throwing Emory/UF in as super safeties but with today's score I think Cornell/GULC/UT/Vandy will be sufficient safeties. Really wasn't planning on scoring this high.

What is your GPA? We share an LSAT score but I can only assume your GPA is way better if Cornell is a safety.

Low 3.8X and just above Cornell's GPA 75th, between Duke's 50th and 75th and just below UVA's 50th. Getting above all of their 75ths is pretty big, should get acceptances to all 3 if I can avoid YP.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:29 am

With considerable delay due to jet lag.... 172 (just remember my test wasn't like yours)!
My goal was 170, I would have been good with 168+, and yet...
Now I must admit that I went 159 on dec...
I am really debt adverse and so I was originally planning to go for gwu ed, right now I think I could have a shot somewhere higher with $$$$!

Great great great!

daiff

New

Postby daiff » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

InterLaw wrote:With considerable delay due to jet lag.... 172 (just remember my test wasn't like yours)!
My goal was 170, I would have been good with 168+, and yet...
Now I must admit that I went 159 on dec...
I am really debt adverse and so I was originally planning to go for gwu ed, right now I think I could have a shot somewhere higher with $$$$!

Great great great!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 am

Platopus wrote:
zkyggi wrote:Retake and a bourbon stupor coming up. Fuck the LSAT

Sorry to hear it, zkyggi. Not sure how off target you were, but you definitely have the work ethic to get it done.

Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

sadieshadow

New

Postby sadieshadow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 am

Congratulations to all moving on to focus on applications and best of luck for those retaking. Will the op start a new thread for the prospective members of the clsss of 2021. Following this thread as a lurker has been invaluable. Thank you to those who contributed.

181plz

Bronze

Postby 181plz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 am

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Anyone know where they're applying?

At 171/3.45/nonexistent softs, I plan on essentially blanketing schools ranked 5-18, but WUSTL's scholarship-friendliness is very appealing to me.

I'm also undergrad from a lower T13 where I'm a coinflip, anyone know how much that helps?

I'm sitting at a 3.95+ and 173, so I'll be blanketing the entire T-13 maybe not UVA or Penn, since I almost certainly wouldn't attend.

Same, but replace penn with columbia bc nyc can go to hell.

Chicago is my #1. Michigan #2. I would consider stanford but it's so far I would get homesick.

I'm long on the Midwest. All those climate refugees from Texas and SW will need to go somewhere. Real talk.

See this is a smart man. Chicago is on the rebound, or will be once they get that weasel out of the mayor's office.

Meanwhile 101 shootings took place in less than a week.... Luckily Uchi isn't on the southside, oh wait..

Hyde park is a fine neighborhood, I live in killwaukee, can't be that much worse.

Where about in Milwaukee? I live on the north side

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05 am

sadieshadow wrote:Will the op start a new thread for the prospective members of the clsss of 2021.

I think the first threads in the applicants forum will pop up at the end of the month, including a general applicants thread for the class of 2021. If the class of 2020 is any indicator, it'll be a pretty active cycle filled with quality shitposting.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am

Just wanted to say, congrats to all of you who got a score you're happy with! And to those who didn't, I've been there before and you can 100% recover from it, you will definitely get that 181 next time! (:

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 am

zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Sorry to hear it, zkyggi. Not sure how off target you were, but you definitely have the work ethic to get it done.

Let's just say I was 9 points off of my PT-average. My score was lower than any PT I have taken in the past 3 months by 4 points. I am actually still in shock.

I did not even feel particularly bad leaving the test. Now I'll probably be shitting bricks in Sept.

Sorry to hear that, zkyggi. It's most likely a one-off thing--you'll crush the September test.

Walliums

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread

Postby Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 am

lynn.wibi wrote:God no. Not a -9 curve. That would destroy me.

Remember this? </3

it's allgood

Bronze

Postby it's allgood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Made the 170+ club everybody!

So glad to see the hard work pay off

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am

zkyggi wrote:

Let's just say I was 9 points off of my PT-average. My score was lower than any PT I have taken in the past 3 months by 4 points. I am actually still in shock.

I did not even feel particularly bad leaving the test. Now I'll probably be shitting bricks in Sept.

It's a fluke, man. Shit happens. I know that's not much consolation and also makes me a hypocrite because I'm feeling crushed by underperforming and having to retake too, but at least we get another shot at it.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 am

Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

sunniebunnie

New

Postby sunniebunnie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:56 am

I'm new to this site but have been following along since June 12.

After PT average of 171.4, I was crushed to see a 165 :oops: . I mean my cold diagnostic was 161. Crushed.

RC: -3
LR: -3
LR -2
LG: -8 (!!!)

Unlike many of you on this site, Logic Games are my biggest weakness. However, I usually don't completely blow an entire game! The Milan/Sydney/Tokyo game :oops: . I never really got a handle on grouping games during my prep...

Now... I am new to TLS...I only prepped for about two months with a total of 10 preptests... I took a Kaplan course (because they're partnered with my school and I basically didn't have to pay for it). At least their library of materials was useful and I knew I needed to self-study to make it work. I became confident with my Preptest scores, using real proctoring conditions.. I got 176s, 173, etc.

Now this?! I was already registered for September but I need to change my study method.

So.. Any advice moving forward? I NEED TO NAIL GAMES -0 every time. I'm looking into 7sage videos, and I ordered the LG Bible last night. I think I should focus almost exclusively on LG and only work on LR/RC thru PrepTests to keep them fresh in my mind. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 am

zkyggi wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Sorry to hear that, zkyggi. It's most likely a one-off thing--you'll crush the September test.

I have my spirits back. I knew it was possible and I kno it won't happen again. Aside from RC (my first and worst section) the test was very much PT 81.

These next two months will suck though lol. I wanted to be done with it. But my girlfriend is taking it in September too, so it's not so bad.

RC was a bad break, dude. You've got what it takes--just remember your most likely outcome is your average PT, not any one score. I'm sure you'll kill September.

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am

principalagent wrote:
sadieshadow wrote:Will the op start a new thread for the prospective members of the clsss of 2021.

I think the first threads in the applicants forum will pop up at the end of the month, including a general applicants thread for the class of 2021. If the class of 2020 is any indicator, it'll be a pretty active cycle filled with quality shitposting.

For real though, I second the nomination for MBC to be our OP for that thread

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 am

sunniebunnie wrote:I'm new to this site but have been following along since June 12.

After PT average of 171.4, I was crushed to see a 165 :oops: . I mean my cold diagnostic was 161. Crushed.

LR -2

Unlike many of you on this site, Logic Games are my biggest weakness. However, I usually don't completely blow an entire game! The Milan/Sydney/Tokyo game :oops: . I never really got a handle on grouping games during my prep...

Now... I am new to TLS...I only prepped for about two months with a total of 10 preptests... I took a Kaplan course (because they're partnered with my school and I basically didn't have to pay for it). At least their library of materials was useful and I knew I needed to self-study to make it work. I became confident with my Preptest scores, using real proctoring conditions.. I got 176s, 173, etc.

Now this?! I was already registered for September but I need to change my study method.

So.. Any advice moving forward? I NEED TO NAIL GAMES -0 every time. I'm looking into 7sage videos, and I ordered the LG Bible last night. I think I should focus almost exclusively on LG and only work on LR/RC thru PrepTests to keep them fresh in my mind. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What would you say your biggest issue with games: not knowing how to solve them, or not having enough time to finish them?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the votes of confidence and congratulations!

My breakdown from scores was
-3 RC (all three misses on that damn pysch passage)
-1 LR1
-2 LG (WTF I've never missed 2 in a games section before)
-2 LR2

Was a little disappointed by my pitiful LG performance (still think it was the easiest section I've ever seen), but then some really great people (my family) reminded me that a 171 is still an excellent score. I then further convinced myself that it's all good when I used mylsn and found out there is essentially no difference in acceptances/scholarships for 171/myGPA and 173/myGPA for the schools I'm targeting (25% chance at Yale either way, >50% at HY, shoe-in for $$$$ at Mich/UVA).

At the end of the day, I'm really just glad to see that the long hours and extra studying after work made the decision to sit a cycle worth it.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 am

It looks like (aside from a couple people), this curve really robbed everyone of a couple points haha.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:It looks like (aside from a couple people), this curve really robbed everyone of a couple points haha.

That's the dang truth. I consistently (regardless of the curve) miss an average (and median) of 8 questions per LSAT PT. For some tests, that has been awesome (hitting 175/176 on big curves) and also terrible (171) on this guy. Seems a bit odd to me, since the curve is supposed to mean you score about the same from test to test.

sunniebunnie

New

Postby sunniebunnie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 am

Walliums wrote:
sunniebunnie wrote:I'm new to this site but have been following along since June 12.

LR -2

What would you say your biggest issue with games: not knowing how to solve them, or not having enough time to finish them?

Definitely solving them. Sometimes I just can't "get" they key deductions... Grouping/Matching mainly. Sequencing games I am fine (but will occasionally miss 1, so could be improved).

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

LR -2

I got from -15ish to -4 in games with 7sage videos alone essentially. Found them incredibly helpful. Just watched them for hours several days in a row.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:It looks like (aside from a couple people), this curve really robbed everyone of a couple points haha.

That's the dang truth. I consistently (regardless of the curve) miss an average (and median) of 8 questions per LSAT PT. For some tests, that has been awesome (hitting 175/176 on big curves) and also terrible (171) on this guy. Seems a bit odd to me, since the curve is supposed to mean you score about the same from test to test.

-9 is just so unforgiving, no matter how easy they think the questions are, it leaves you with no room for error. On a 101 question, fast-paced test it's really tough

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Your LSAT score can't hug you

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

rowdy wrote:For real though, I second the nomination for MBC to be our OP for that thread

MBC makes the best polls bar none

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?