June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 141

Walliums

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Walliums » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:18 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Not doing anything fun today. I look like that ape-to-human evolutionary chart but where the human is hunched over at a computer (refreshing TLS and LSAC).

I'm pretty sure I look exactly the same. I'm at work and every time my boss walks by, he says "checking for your score?" :lol:

Your boss knows?! Law School is my dirty little secret.

Did you already share what field you work in? Law school was my dirty secret for a while, but I have coworkers taking the GRE/GMAT for business school so they knew first since we have all been preparing for our respective tests. But it took me a while to tell my boss, who is really cool about it and supportive of me getting "stretch opportunities" with our legal tag when we have down time

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Walliums wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Not doing anything fun today. I look like that ape-to-human evolutionary chart but where the human is hunched over at a computer (refreshing TLS and LSAC).

I'm pretty sure I look exactly the same. I'm at work and every time my boss walks by, he says "checking for your score?" :lol:

Your boss knows?! Law School is my dirty little secret.

Did you already share what field you work in? Law school was my dirty secret for a while, but I have coworkers taking the GRE/GMAT for business school so they knew first since we have all been preparing for our respective tests. But it took me a while to tell my boss, who is really cool about it and supportive of me getting "stretch opportunities" with our legal tag when we have down time

Marketing for a company that won't need my legal services. I have an annual review coming up to discuss career goals and I might drop the bomb then.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm

These next few hours are gonna drag

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Sending you all good vibes this week!

Remember, your score does not define you. Unless you get 180. Then you should talk about it constantly and never let anyone forget your clear superiority.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Walliums wrote:Am back from the weekend at the beach. Now time for a long 2.5 hours to grey...

In other news my nephew is getting sliced out of my sister in law as we speak, but can't visit until the evening. I may be going really happy or really bummed if scores come out before we get there.

Wow. most gruesome C-section description i've heard ever. I don't envy the female species

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:29 pm

#mood

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:29 pm

is it gray?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:30 pm

100% gonna riot if today isn't grey

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm

amta wrote:is it gray?

no.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Since I *definitely* won't be retaking, I need something to do on my lunch hour at work. Heading to the library, what should I be reading?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:37 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Since I *definitely* won't be retaking, I need something to do on my lunch hour at work. Heading to the library, what should I be reading?

If you're looking for a fun super quick distraction, I recommend "Where'd you go, Bernadette?" It was the first book I read for fun in ages (right after the LSAT) and I got through it in 2 days.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Walliums wrote:Am back from the weekend at the beach. Now time for a long 2.5 hours to grey...

In other news my nephew is getting sliced out of my sister in law as we speak, but can't visit until the evening. I may be going really happy or really bummed if scores come out before we get there.

Wow. most gruesome C-section description i've heard ever. I don't envy the female species

Yeah I had to read it twice, then I was like "ohhughhhhh"

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:Since I *definitely* won't be retaking, I need something to do on my lunch hour at work. Heading to the library, what should I be reading?

If you're looking for a fun super quick distraction, I recommend "Where'd you go, Bernadette?" It was the first book I read for fun in ages (right after the LSAT) and I got through it in 2 days.

Second this. Such a good read. I also highly recommend reading Oryx & Crake. It's a way more messed up Margaret Atwood book. I also really enjoy re-reading The Alchemist and The Little Prince from time to time. Another "fun" read that's super dense in advanced vocab is The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. When Breath Becomes Air, The Nine, The Psychopath Test, and Sapiens are all good Non-fiction reads.

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:40 pm

chandhi wrote:Sending you all good vibes this week!

Remember, your score does not define you. Unless you get 180. Then you should talk about it constantly and never let anyone forget your clear superiority.

I would kill to see the distribution of where 180's matriculate. There are only a couple or three dozen a year, right?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:42 pm

rowdy wrote:

I would kill to see the distribution of where 180's matriculate. There are only a couple or three dozen a year, right?

I know one is going to Berkeley. "NotAGolfer" on LSN.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 pm

I wonder how things would go for someone who had a 2.0/180. If I was a school I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 pm

heyduchess wrote:
rowdy wrote:

what a waste. berkeTTTTTTey

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:49 pm

heyduchess wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Talk about splitter! But can't imagine what it must have felt like to get the email with 180 on it

it's allgood

Bronze

Postby it's allgood » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:51 pm

dm1683 wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
jthel08 wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
jthel08 wrote:Quick question... are what is the score that "no shit" you would retake if you're planning on attending a #50-#100 ranked school?

Just curious what other people think on this.

Why would you plan on attending a #50-100 school????? That is just not a good idea. I would re-take until accepted to T30 or higher (1-30) with $$$$$$$$$$. Look at employment outcomes at 50-100 and compare those to 1-30 or even 1-20.

The only reason is because it will be paid for by the Veterans Affairs. Any school accepted to is paid so just curious, that is all..

Take until 170 or higher (though high 160s like 168/169 may suffice). Apply to T20 and higher (4-20 or 1-20) depending on your GPA--if any school is paid, then aim for highest rank possible that makes sense for your employment goals/region you want to work. 50-100 is not a good idea even if paid for.

Doesn't this largely depend on the market though? I mean, St. John's (#72) is almost never a good idea, but University of South Carolina (#88) can be ideal for someone looking for government/small law in SC. The "anywhere under T25 is shit" mentality here is one of the reasons why this site has earned a reputation for elitism.

I think the elitism is more reflective of the reality of the legal field. Admittance to law school is based on your GPA/LSAT and the higher your GPA/LSAT the better the school you will get into. After law school, many jobs are dependent on the law school attended and your class rank. It is a very elitist profession.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I bet there are a few 180s every cycle who don't matriculate anywhere. Rest I'd imagine are T6 with a few in the other T13s.

I work as a student technician at my University's tech services department, all my co-workers and boses know about my going to law school. They offered me a graduate assistant position for after I graduate which would give me a free masters degree, but I turned it down. That really pissed off some of the other students there, I'm the only non STEM major but they still chose me over everyone else :lol:

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:I bet there are a few 180s every cycle who don't matriculate anywhere. Rest I'd imagine are T6 with a few in the other T13s.

I work as a student technician at my University's tech services department, all my co-workers and boses know about my going to law school. They offered me a graduate assistant position for after I graduate which would give me a free masters degree, but I turned it down. That really pissed off some of the other students there, I'm the only non STEM major but they still chose me over everyone else :lol:

Idk man, if there's a hard splitter 180 don't you think they could end up in T20s or strong regionals? Like a sub-3 GPA?

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Last edited by rowdy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Walliums wrote:
Talk about splitter! But can't imagine what it must have felt like to get the email with 180 on it

Does the email say the score?

What's this going to be like? Can somebody who has gotten a score before tell me what to expect? It would make my stomach feel less like I'm a character from Alien who's about to have a creature pop through her abdomen... Not even being dramatic.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 pm

rowdy wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I wonder how things would go for someone who had a 2.0/180. If I was a school I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Why? Don't those stats scream "barely put in any effort"?

Idk, I have an awful gpa so I empathize, sometimes people are just young and dumb. Scoring a 180 doesn't happen on accident though, I think it would be worth the gamble to take someone with that kind of potential.

mmorrell94

New

Postby mmorrell94 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:02 pm

don't want to be too specific, but someone I know was a 4.0/180 from a fairly prestigious ug and got named scholarships/YHS and didn't matriculate anywhere, because he got a job offer making 80k in a very low cost of living area.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?