June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
5%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 140

mwells56

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:Not to derail this stimulating conversation, but do those of you that were involved in Greek life in UG have your organization/leadership position in the activities section of your resume? I felt that it looked a little amateurish, and could be damaging considering the way fraternities are viewed by many university administrators, so I removed my frah. I had other activities, so it didn't leave my resume bare, but I do think there is some upside in that it indicates that you are not totally antisocial.

I'm a "justice" of the Greek Activities Review Panel which is an IFC position. Essentially, we're the ones who decide what punishments to deal out to frats that break the rules. Within the house, I'm on the standards board, which is both a conflict resolution team and disciplinary committee tasked with upholding our constitution. I'm applying K-JD so they'll definitely be on there.

We would not have gotten along in UG. So much fun to hate the risk management guys (although I respect what you do)

We have a separate position for risk manager. For GARP I operate under the assumption that when something is obvious/egregious we need to do something for PR purposes to show that it's not okay, but never do anything that's detrimental to the development of a house. For Standards I just don't want people putting pledges in hospitals, lol.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am

mwells56 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:Not to derail this stimulating conversation, but do those of you that were involved in Greek life in UG have your organization/leadership position in the activities section of your resume? I felt that it looked a little amateurish, and could be damaging considering the way fraternities are viewed by many university administrators, so I removed my frah. I had other activities, so it didn't leave my resume bare, but I do think there is some upside in that it indicates that you are not totally antisocial.

I'm a "justice" of the Greek Activities Review Panel which is an IFC position. Essentially, we're the ones who decide what punishments to deal out to frats that break the rules. Within the house, I'm on the standards board, which is both a conflict resolution team and disciplinary committee tasked with upholding our constitution. I'm applying K-JD so they'll definitely be on there.

We would not have gotten along in UG. So much fun to hate the risk management guys (although I respect what you do)

We have a separate position for risk manager. For GARP I operate under the assumption that when something is obvious/egregious we need to do something for PR purposes to show that it's not okay, but never do anything that's detrimental to the development of a house. For Standards I just don't want people putting pledges in hospitals, lol.

In that case, we're ideologically similar. carry on. What letters? (if that's too personal don't worry)

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:04 am

I'm 12 years out and the folks at MS9 told me to include it with my other undergrad activities. I was also a 3 term exec board member of my org.
Take what you want from that.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:07 am

mwells56 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

In that case, we're ideologically similar. carry on. What letters? (if that's too personal don't worry)

Would rather PM if you don't mind

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:09 am

I was recruitment chair, social chair, and pledge trainer for a semester. I think I might be overthinking it, but I guess I was worried that those three would cast me in a bad light. Although they were a blast, especially a recruitment.

Out your organizations: Sig Machi for me

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am

vtdelt wrote:I'm 12 years out and the folks at MS9 told me to include it with my other undergrad activities. I was also a 3 term exec board member of my org.

Tangential to this topic. I'm thinking about buying MS9's services. Do you recommend? Could you PM me about it?

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:13 am

principalagent wrote:
vtdelt wrote:I'm 12 years out and the folks at MS9 told me to include it with my other undergrad activities. I was also a 3 term exec board member of my org.

Tangential to this topic. I'm thinking about buying MS9's services. Do you recommend? Could you PM me about it?

I just started working with them recently. My reasons are probably different since I'm not a K-JD and don't have a lot of resources from my friends but happy to answer what i can in PMs

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:15 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:I was recruitment chair, social chair, and pledge trainer for a semester. I think I might be overthinking it, but I guess I was worried that those three would cast me in a bad light. Although they were a blast, especially a recruitment.

You can probably guess mine if you think and make a key inference. I'd rather not directly post my letters at the moment, too much public info across posts could lead to someone figuring out who I am IRL with what info I have shared.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 am

vtdelt wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:I was recruitment chair, social chair, and pledge trainer for a semester. I think I might be overthinking it, but I guess I was worried that those three would cast me in a bad light. Although they were a blast, especially a recruitment.

You can probably guess mine if you think and make a key inference. I'd rather not directly post my letters at the moment, too much public info across posts could lead to someone figuring out who I am IRL with what info I have shared.

Definitely in ATO at UVA. #outed

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:28 am

This morning when I drove into work I went through a bunch of dark gray clouds. And there were like, a bunch of gray cars on the road.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 am

vtdelt wrote:

Definitely in ATO at UVA. #outed

TRIGGERED
[+] Spoiler
Image Deleted

Please don't quote image
Last edited by Experiment626 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

vtdelt wrote:

Please don't quote image

Everyone I know who went there absolutely loved it.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

Please don't quote image

Everyone I know who went there absolutely loved it.

Amen!

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:48 am

Sorry to bring this back on topic for a sec. Do you guys think its worth buying the Superprep II book just for C2 (its the only released LSAT I don't have).

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:57 am

#dicksoutforharambe

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:Sorry to bring this back on topic for a sec. Do you guys think its worth buying the Superprep II book just for C2 (its the only released LSAT I don't have).

What are you retaking or something? Smh.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:Sorry to bring this back on topic for a sec. Do you guys think its worth buying the Superprep II book just for C2 (its the only released LSAT I don't have).

Just embracing the slow descent into insanity brought on by the interminable wait for these scores...

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

Just embracing the slow descent into insanity brought on by the interminable wait for these scores...

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how my score is gonna start with a 16_. The wait is really messing with me, they have to speed this process up somehow.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 pm

I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday. Then I felt sad my score didn't come on Friday. Then I tried to remember what did happen on Friday. And that's how I realized today was Friday. So weird tingle of optimism in that scores could come before the weekend, but also disappointed that I am at work right now.
Also my kid slept in till 7:40 this morning. How much you want to bet she is up at 6:30 tomorrow? She is toying with me.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Last edited by Walliums on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Not unless you're getting perfect raw scores on retakes of newer tests. C2 is so old it isn't predictive, so it doesn't have that comparative advantage over retakes of new tests. If there are questions you get wrong on newer tests, there are things you can learn from those tests, and that will be more similar to the current tests.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm

rowdy wrote:

Not unless you're getting perfect raw scores on retakes of newer tests. C2 is so old it isn't predictive, so it doesn't have that comparative advantage over retakes of new tests. If there are questions you get wrong on newer tests, there are things you can learn from those tests, and that will be more similar to the current tests.

Eh don't think this is right? I was under the impression C2 was a 2015 or 2016 test

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:21 pm

Walliums wrote:
mwells56 wrote:I'm a "justice" of the Greek Activities Review Panel which is an IFC position. Essentially, we're the ones who decide what punishments to deal out to frats that break the rules. Within the house, I'm on the standards board, which is both a conflict resolution team and disciplinary committee tasked with upholding our constitution. I'm applying K-JD so they'll definitely be on there.

Heyo, I was Standards Chair in my sorority before moving into an exec position. I'm curious what areas of law you are thinking about pursuing?

Honestly? No idea. I want to get the BigLaw bucks but I also am a big work-life balance kind of person. My back-of-my-mind dream is to be a judge but it's so hard to become one I don't want it to be my main plan. Probably will start in in NY BigLaw and see where life takes me from there. What specific area, I have no idea.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Walliums wrote:

Wow, alright then. I guess I will be putting mine back on - I took all of my collegiate activities off once I had my first full-time gig and could fill my resume with work experience.

I think it's to show your full story from your undergrad. Like we literally listed the orgs and positions I had nothing more than that. May be worth posting a question in their advice thread. Keeping it in my resume could be due to other factors unique to me being a splitter and showing that back then I was a fairly active individual as part of my "story/softs" to go along with the grade addendum I have to write about my LD.

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:47 pm

rowdy wrote:

Eh don't think this is right? I was under the impression C2 was a 2015 or 2016 test

I fully accept that I could be wrong. I might be thinking of Preptest C which was from '99 or '00 IIRC

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?