June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 141

mwells56

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:16 am

DorkothyParker wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:How many fourth graders do you think you could fight at once, and what would your strategy be?

There's an ongoing debate in my fraternity for the last 3 years over how many brothers it would take to kill a fully grown silverback gorilla in a no-weapons cage match.

I say no less than 20, probably more like 35-40. Thoughts?

Idahoans are not afraid of gorillas. If any of your bros are from Idaho, he can do it single-handedly.

You're young, but men of that age tend to be a little smaller. So I think 35 young men is a good starting place. Any footballers?

Got one kid who had WR offer from Cornell and another OL who had D2 offers, but there's a large contingent of bros who are hardcore lifters. At the time this debate began we had a kid who ended up with a national amateur bench pressing record.

edit: also forgot we got two guys on the club rugby team and they're both big but neither of them are huge
Last edited by mwells56 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:16 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:How many fourth graders do you think you could fight at once, and what would your strategy be?

There's an ongoing debate in my fraternity for the last 3 years over how many brothers it would take to kill a fully grown silverback gorilla in a no-weapons cage match.

You'd need 30 at least, well coordinated, to encircle the gorilla. I pity the guy who is the first one gorilla gets his hands on.

The general consensus is that you'd have to sacrifice some kind of vanguard at the beginning.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 am

mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

You'd need 30 at least, well coordinated, to encircle the gorilla. I pity the guy who is the first one gorilla gets his hands on.

The general consensus is that you'd have to sacrifice some kind of vanguard at the beginning.

Did this debate come up independently of Harambe?

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Did this debate come up independently of Harambe?

This was like 2 years before Harambe haha

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 am

mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Unarmed I'm not sure you've got enough dudes to take down a fully grown silverback. Those bad boys are strong enough to kill you with a single punch. You'd have to get to his eyes in order to take him down, and I unless you get lucky, or rush like 20 dudes at the same time, you're not going to get to his face.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 am

it's allgood wrote:Totally reconsidering PI and going into BigLaw after reading this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278570

This drama may just be what I needed to get to gray day! And through the rest of my career! :lol:

WOW.... :shock:

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Unarmed I'm not sure you've got enough dudes to take down a fully grown silverback. Those bad boys are strong enough to kill you with a single punch. You'd have to get to his eyes in order to take him down, and I unless you get lucky, or rush like 20 dudes at the same time, you're not going to get to his face.

I think they only way we'd stand a chance is if we send in 10+ bros at the beginning to bum rush him and distract him, while another group runs up from behind to try and tackle him. Once he's on his back just gotta smash his face/chest in.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 am

Perhaps we are going about this all wrong. What is the intent with the gorilla? To kill it? For pride and sport? Fair enough, but humans aren't really evolved for their physical strength in that same way. I mean, it's not an orangutan, so I don't know this guys experience with tools, but it would be wrecked for humans to go without. I mean, that's what got us here. Tools.
This isn't Dungeons and Dragons, we can't send in a tank or heal injured brethren.
Therefore, I think it should be permissable to use rudimentary weapons such as a sharp pointy stick.
Alternatively, we are great distance runners so we could just see how long a bro would survive in X proximity to the gorilla. I'd imagine they are fast. What makes them aggressive?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am

DorkothyParker wrote:Perhaps we are going about this all wrong. What is the intent with the gorilla? To kill it? For pride and sport? Fair enough, but humans aren't really evolved for their physical strength in that same way. I mean, it's not an orangutan, so I don't know this guys experience with tools, but it would be wrecked for humans to go without. I mean, that's what got us here. Tools.
This isn't Dungeons and Dragons, we can't send in a tank or heal injured brethren.
Therefore, I think it should be permissable to use rudimentary weapons such as a sharp pointy stick.
Alternatively, we are great distance runners so we could just see how long a bro would survive in X proximity to the gorilla. I'd imagine they are fast. What makes them aggressive?

You're missing the point. This is no weapons cagematch. Solely a test of will to live/strength.

Obviously we'd crush the gorilla using smarts, but what's the fun in that

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 am

Is the gorilla caged and does it have a screwdriver?

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 am

"The eyes are the groin of the face."- Dwight Schrute

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:32 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Obviously we'd crush the gorilla using smarts, but what's the fun in that

Not. Dying.
Still, weapons aside, I'd be more interested in surviving a gorilla rather than defeating one.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 am

principalagent wrote:Is the gorilla caged and does it have a screwdriver?

No weapons/tools.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:35 am

DorkothyParker wrote:Perhaps we are going about this all wrong. What is the intent with the gorilla? To kill it? For pride and sport? Fair enough, but humans aren't really evolved for their physical strength in that same way. I mean, it's not an orangutan, so I don't know this guys experience with tools, but it would be wrecked for humans to go without. I mean, that's what got us here. Tools.

Intent is to kill.

Obviously the gorilla is more evolved physically and is more well-equipped to handle this situation. The question is how many able-bodied but not significantly above average humans would it take to overcome the deficit?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:36 am

IDK why we have so much animosity toward this gorilla... He sounds like he's just trying to mind his own business and now he has a frat boy problem to deal with. What if he agreed to pledge?
Also, Walliums, did you ever decide what to make for dinner this weekend?

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am

QueenBAYder wrote:IDK why we have so much animosity toward this gorilla... He sounds like he's just trying to mind his own business and now he has a frat boy problem to deal with. What if he agreed to pledge?

Why did the Romans have so much animosity towards lions? This is about honor and glory, my friend.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:38 am

mwells56 wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:IDK why we have so much animosity toward this gorilla... He sounds like he's just trying to mind his own business and now he has a frat boy problem to deal with. What if he agreed to pledge?

Why did the Romans have so much animosity towards lions? This is about honor and glory, my friend.

If he pledged, he'd definitely have to drive and clean the house, but he'd still have to fight

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:39 am

mwells56 wrote:

Fair point. I actually never thought about this before. Where did the lions come from? As far as I know, lions are generally not native to Italy.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Fair point. I actually never thought about this before. Where did the lions come from? As far as I know, lions are generally not native to Italy.

They conquered most of Northern Africa so they probably got them shipped in from somewhere on the continent

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

If he pledged, he'd definitely have to drive and clean the house, but he'd still have to fight

Don't forget delivering coffee to bros' girlfriends

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 am

Not to derail this stimulating conversation, but do those of you that were involved in Greek life in UG have your organization/leadership position in the activities section of your resume? I felt that it looked a little amateurish, and could be damaging considering the way fraternities are viewed by many university administrators, so I removed my frah. I had other activities, so it didn't leave my resume bare, but I do think there is some upside in that it indicates that you are not totally antisocial.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Postby tofuspeedstar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:54 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Not to derail this stimulating conversation, but do those of you that were involved in Greek life in UG have your organization/leadership position in the activities section of your resume? I felt that it looked a little amateurish, and could be damaging considering the way fraternities are viewed by many university administrators, so I removed my frah. I had other activities, so it didn't leave my resume bare, but I do think there is some upside in that it indicates that you are not totally antisocial.

I left mine in there, I held treasurer/vice president positions.

I left off some of the others, though (new member educator.) :lol:

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Not to derail this stimulating conversation, but do those of you that were involved in Greek life in UG have your organization/leadership position in the activities section of your resume? I felt that it looked a little amateurish, and could be damaging considering the way fraternities are viewed by many university administrators, so I removed my frah. I had other activities, so it didn't leave my resume bare, but I do think there is some upside in that it indicates that you are not totally antisocial.

Left mine, but it's not a prominent part. I was academic chair and a founder of the chapter (something I'm somewhat proud of), so I feel like it was either neutral, or value-added

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 am

I'm a "justice" of the Greek Activities Review Panel which is an IFC position. Essentially, we're the ones who decide what punishments to deal out to frats that break the rules. Within the house, I'm on the standards board, which is both a conflict resolution team and disciplinary committee tasked with upholding our constitution. I'm applying K-JD so they'll definitely be on there.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:59 am

mwells56 wrote:

I'm a "justice" of the Greek Activities Review Panel which is an IFC position. Essentially, we're the ones who decide what punishments to deal out to frats that break the rules. Within the house, I'm on the standards board, which is both a conflict resolution team and disciplinary committee tasked with upholding our constitution. I'm applying K-JD so they'll definitely be on there.

We would not have gotten along in UG. So much fun to hate the risk management guys (although I respect what you do)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?