June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
5%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 140

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby QueenBAYder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

chargers21 wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
Walliums wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Best of luck to everyone on their upcoming scores, I know you'll all do great! But just as a story to encourage those who underperform, I will tell you about my decent success story. I took the June test last year and completely bombed it. Like super bombed it. I hadn't used this site before and was underprepared and worked too much leading up to test day, including test day. I worked my ass off, held off on applying to school's until after receiving a satisfactory score, took the September test, and had a double digit improvement. Instead of having to settle for a t50 school with my previous score, I got into damn near every school I applied to (haven't been rejected yet, waiting on 3 decisions) out of 15 applications, all but one in the t20. I was accepted to the best school I applied to (UChicago), was accepted to t13 school I loved with a decent scholarship (which I accepted at first), and ended up depositing at a t13 with a scholarship a good chunk north of the six figure mark. I'm not trying to brag here or anything, but I'm trying to show you the importance of not settling for the low score you may have gotten on this test. I believe that you can improve and reach your potential (even if I still underperformed on my later test slightly compared to my new PTs).

But none of this matters because you all crushed it :mrgreen:

Needed to hear this! Would definitely like to know what you did to study for a retake

Congrats man! :) And ditto

Thanks! After my first LSAT I never thought I'd be here, so I'm pretty excited! For restudying, I had some major isssues to correct. I simply had not taken enough full length timed PTs. My timing was awful. Once I got my timing down, my natural ability with LR was able to shine through and give me a bit of a buffer. I worked on my diagramming speed for LG. I made myself read faster for RC. Speed is really what helped me most. Going fast on my second test day is likely what prevented an absolute bombing, but I'm not sure if I would completely recommend it because I likely lost my 3 points from my average at the top end because of this. I was wildly inconsistent still going into test day, so I was not an LSAT master by any means

Curious about how you increased your diagramming speed (this is a problem for me as well). Was it just repitition or did you come up with a certain strategy?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:51 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
Walliums wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Best of luck to everyone on their upcoming scores, I know you'll all do great! But just as a story to encourage those who underperform, I will tell you about my decent success story. I took the June test last year and completely bombed it. Like super bombed it. I hadn't used this site before and was underprepared and worked too much leading up to test day, including test day. I worked my ass off, held off on applying to school's until after receiving a satisfactory score, took the September test, and had a double digit improvement. Instead of having to settle for a t50 school with my previous score, I got into damn near every school I applied to (haven't been rejected yet, waiting on 3 decisions) out of 15 applications, all but one in the t20. I was accepted to the best school I applied to (UChicago), was accepted to t13 school I loved with a decent scholarship (which I accepted at first), and ended up depositing at a t13 with a scholarship a good chunk north of the six figure mark. I'm not trying to brag here or anything, but I'm trying to show you the importance of not settling for the low score you may have gotten on this test. I believe that you can improve and reach your potential (even if I still underperformed on my later test slightly compared to my new PTs).

But none of this matters because you all crushed it :mrgreen:

Needed to hear this! Would definitely like to know what you did to study for a retake

Congrats man! :) And ditto

Thanks! After my first LSAT I never thought I'd be here, so I'm pretty excited! For restudying, I had some major isssues to correct. I simply had not taken enough full length timed PTs. My timing was awful. Once I got my timing down, my natural ability with LR was able to shine through and give me a bit of a buffer. I worked on my diagramming speed for LG. I made myself read faster for RC. Speed is really what helped me most. Going fast on my second test day is likely what prevented an absolute bombing, but I'm not sure if I would completely recommend it because I likely lost my 3 points from my average at the top end because of this. I was wildly inconsistent still going into test day, so I was not an LSAT master by any means

Curious about how you increased your diagramming speed (this is a problem for me as well). Was it just repitition or did you come up with a certain strategy?

Repetition and watching tons of 7sage videos and redoing the LG bible

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am

Does anyone have any advice for getting to a consistent combined -4 or less on LR, especially after having exhausted the LSAT Trainer, the LR Bible, and virtually every LR section from 42-80? Hoping I don't have to deal with this, but also being realistic.

ETA: timing isn't really an issue. I almost always finish a section with time to check fuzzy questions.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am

principalagent wrote:Does anyone have any advice for getting to a consistent combined -4 or less on LR, especially after having exhausted the LSAT Trainer, the LR Bible, and virtually every LR section from 42-80? Hoping I don't have to deal with this, but also being realistic.

ETA: timing isn't really an issue. I almost always finish a section with time to check fuzzy questions.

I was going to say timing because that's what I did lol. Some will say drilling by question type to find out what kind of question consistently catches you up. Then figuring out why and correcting it

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am

chargers21 wrote:I was going to say timing because that's what I did lol. Some will say drilling by question type to find out what kind of question consistently catches you up. Then figuring out why and correcting it

I noticed that it's mainly one notoriously tough but common question type with some propensity to get stumped on a tough question from a couple other question types. So we'll see.

Without saying too much, I felt that the general question types that showed up a couple weeks ago seemed favorable to my strengths and weaknesses so I'm hopeful.

(I originally wrote in the question types but took them out to be safe).

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 am

principalagent wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I was going to say timing because that's what I did lol. Some will say drilling by question type to find out what kind of question consistently catches you up. Then figuring out why and correcting it

I noticed that it's mainly one notoriously tough but common question type with some propensity to get stumped on a tough question from a couple other question types. So we'll see.

Without saying too much, I felt that the general question types that showed up a couple weeks ago seemed favorable to my strengths and weaknesses so I'm hopeful.

(I originally wrote in the question types but took them out to be safe).

You've taken enough PTs that you should have percentages available for which types you miss the most. Any Q types where you are less than 90% proficient, you should drill those types in isolation. Once you're comfortable with those types, take some timed LR sections and see if you've improved. If you have, great. If not, at this point, you may have peaked.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:23 am

principalagent wrote:Does anyone have any advice for getting to a consistent combined -4 or less on LR, especially after having exhausted the LSAT Trainer, the LR Bible, and virtually every LR section from 42-80? Hoping I don't have to deal with this, but also being realistic.

I found the biggest barrier for me was being consistent in my approach to the question types, and shifting towards a more "analytical" approach. I spent way more time evaluating arguments and identifying what to look for. If you're tying to go -4 or better I think you just need to be hyper aware of what's going on in the argument and pay strict attention to nuances.

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:You've taken enough PTs that you should have percentages available for which types you miss the most. Any Q types where you are less than 90% proficient, you should drill those types in isolation. Once you're comfortable with those types, take some timed LR sections and see if you've improved. If you have, great. If not, at this point, you may have peaked.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I found the biggest barrier for me was being consistent in my approach to the question types, and shifting towards a more "analytical" approach. I spent way more time evaluating arguments and identifying what to look for. If you're tying to go -4 or better I think you just need to be hyper aware of what's going on in the argument and pay strict attention to nuances.

Yeah, I think my first move if I'm not happy with my scores will be to go back and tally question types up and then decide the best way to go back and drill.

I also did notice that I tended to do better if I was intentional with isolating conclusions and checking answers (e.g. answer choice negation with required assumption questions), even if it took a little more time.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:40 am

principalagent wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:You've taken enough PTs that you should have percentages available for which types you miss the most. Any Q types where you are less than 90% proficient, you should drill those types in isolation. Once you're comfortable with those types, take some timed LR sections and see if you've improved. If you have, great. If not, at this point, you may have peaked.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I found the biggest barrier for me was being consistent in my approach to the question types, and shifting towards a more "analytical" approach. I spent way more time evaluating arguments and identifying what to look for. If you're tying to go -4 or better I think you just need to be hyper aware of what's going on in the argument and pay strict attention to nuances.

Yeah, I think my first move if I'm not happy with my scores will be to go back and tally question types up and then decide the best way to go back and drill.

I also did notice that I tended to do better if I was intentional with isolating conclusions and checking answers (e.g. answer choice negation with required assumption questions), even if it took a little more time.

wait. does that mean you haven't been using 7sage/something else for tracking your scores/analytics by section/question type???? If not, you absolutely should be.

Typing Puppy

Silver

Postby Typing Puppy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:49 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

I found the biggest barrier for me was being consistent in my approach to the question types, and shifting towards a more "analytical" approach. I spent way more time evaluating arguments and identifying what to look for. If you're tying to go -4 or better I think you just need to be hyper aware of what's going on in the argument and pay strict attention to nuances.

For every question you should be able to explain why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. Be extremely harsh with yourself. If you can't do this, then there's some salient logical feature of the argument or statements that you're either missing or not sufficiently aware of. Notice these things. Take notes. Do this for a high volume of questions and soon you'll become incredibly efficient/the chance of you missing something will become incredibly small.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

I just want to finally know where I'm going to be living in August

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:07 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I just want to finally know where I'm going to be living in August

are you using the June lsat to try and get off of waitlists or something?

rowdy

Bronze

Postby rowdy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Last edited by rowdy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Today, a beautiful gray cat ran in front of me on the way to my garage.

This means that I'm gong to get a 175+ on Gray Day, right? That's what the signs are telling me, yes?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:I find eating almost nothing but pasta, canned beans/peas, and rice has served me pretty well

Am currently at vet with badly shaking/defecating puppy

Other people: Try Keto!

Me: But... but... carbs.

Do not try Keto! IS it great for lots of people, yes. Is it probably great for your health, yes. Is it best for you, not likely.
Our buddies run extremely well on carbs. There is no necessary reason to switch to keto unless a health issue points that way. I do think anyone who has 100+ lbs to lose should be on a keto diet, because the overwhelming odds are that this is due to an abuse of processed carbohydrates.

All in all, carbs are great things, just make sure all of your carbs don't come from a box. Get at least 8+ servings of fruits/veggies a day and you will be just fine :)

Fine, fine! I'll eat more carbs!

coskigirl

Bronze

Postby coskigirl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm

rowdy wrote:Woke up today and the nerves really hit me. Is anyone else getting more nervous the closer we get to release?

Yes. I ordered the LSAT Trainer and the PTs this morning just in case. I'll deal with returning them if necessary but they'll be on my doorstep when I return from the July 4th holiday if I need to retake.

I'm wearing a grey sweater, grey earrings, and grey wrist brace (tendinitis) telling the universe that I'm all for grey.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I once did the analysis thing on My Fitness Pal and my diet was something like 64% carbs. Carbs=life.

principalagent

Silver

Postby principalagent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:wait. does that mean you haven't been using 7sage/something else for tracking your scores/analytics by section/question type???? If not, you absolutely should be.

Yeah I totally dropped the ball on organization and regret it looking back.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Mikey wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I just want to finally know where I'm going to be living in August

are you using the June lsat to try and get off of waitlists or something?

Yup. I'm very happy with my current choice though. But a bigger scholarship never hurts...haha

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:28 pm

There is going to be a lot of compulsive refreshing of my Gmail account starting around 4.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:33 pm

principalagent wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:wait. does that mean you haven't been using 7sage/something else for tracking your scores/analytics by section/question type???? If not, you absolutely should be.

Yeah I totally dropped the ball on organization and regret it looking back.

dude (or dudette). take your PTs (hopefully you still have your score sheets) and put them in 7sage analytics. It really helped me visualize my deficiencies to attack them more effectively. Found out not only the specific Q types I was poor at (about 85% proficiency), but also was able to realize they were all basically the same questions (strengthen/weaken/PSA - all basically the same question, just from a different angle with each).

From there I was able to focus much more specifically on my skills in those areas. Boosted my proficiency on those types to a combined 93% in my last few PTs. Think I was able to correctly answer some of the trickier questions on the June test because of that.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Someone should just make a bot program that logs into their lsac and notifies them if it's gray

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Someone should just make a bot program that logs into their lsac and notifies them if it's gray

there's a Powerscore article that's like "Set a #grayday and #LSAT alert on your Twitter so you know when people tweet that it's happening."

but let's be real: We are those crazies who'll know first and will alert the others.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Someone should just make a bot program that logs into their lsac and notifies them if it's gray

there's a Powerscore article that's like "Set a #grayday and #LSAT alert on your Twitter so you know when people tweet that it's happening."

but let's be real: We are those crazies who'll know first and will alert the others.

TLS did break the news on LSAC abolishing the 3 takes rule

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm waiting to pay for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) until after I get my score. This is required, right?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?