June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
8
6%
175+
6
4%
173+
21
15%
170+
25
18%
167+
27
19%
165+
16
11%
163+
14
10%
160+
8
6%
159 -
16
11%
 
Total votes: 141

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
tuatarian wrote:From LSAC Twitter: "LSAC will be closed Mon. July 3 and Tues. July 4 for the Independence Day holiday. This will not affect our websites. Have a great holiday!"

So do we think this means it's unlikely they will release scores on the 3rd?

Given this info I'm tempted to believe we won't hear back until the 5 because telling us before a 4-day weekend would likely be a disaster for them.

Alternatively, they don't have to answer phone calls from people complaining/freaking out

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel like this points to scores coming out tomorrow or Friday. What do you say Future Ex-Engineer? Does this change your odds at all?


The other engineer in this thread made the odds, ME! I think my updated odds would be
Thu June 29 = 45:1
Fri June 30 = 5:1
Mon July 3 = 3:1
Tue July 4 = 10:1
Wed July 5 = 20:1
Thu July 6 = LOL

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
tuatarian wrote:From LSAC Twitter: "LSAC will be closed Mon. July 3 and Tues. July 4 for the Independence Day holiday. This will not affect our websites. Have a great holiday!"

So do we think this means it's unlikely they will release scores on the 3rd?

Given this info I'm tempted to believe we won't hear back until the 5 because telling us before a 4-day weekend would likely be a disaster for them.

Alternatively, they don't have to answer phone calls from people complaining/freaking out

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel like this points to scores coming out tomorrow or Friday. What do you say Future Ex-Engineer? Does this change your odds at all?


Tomorrow I'd say unlikely. Friday I still think unlikely.

Still expect Monday 3rd as most likely. What about you SAFHornet?

Edit: Yep, after seeing his updated odds, that's the same betting line I'd go with
Last edited by Future Ex-Engineer on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?


Right to right-center. Mostly because of ideological/moral differences between myself and beliefs that come from what I believe about the world vs the left.

There are probably a few of us around here, we just tend to be quieter about our political leanings due to how numerous/outspoken the other side is. For me, I mostly don't engage in those sorts of discussions/arguments, because I've found they tend to work out *exactly* the same online as they do in person - no one changes their mind because everyone has already decided what/how they're going to believe/lean, so the argument typically does nothing more than make some people angry cause unneeded tension among otherwise-similar people.


What's the right of center? Conservatives, essentially? I'm fiscally conservative in my own country but not sure which political spectrum I identify with here in the States. Belief boils down to "let's mind our own businesses and not meddle with that of others". So where do I belong?
Last edited by tuna_wasabi on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 am

lynn.wibi wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?


Right to right-center. Mostly because of ideological/moral differences between myself and beliefs that come from what I believe about the world vs the left.

There are probably a few of us around here, we just tend to be quieter about our political leanings due to how numerous/outspoken the other side is. For me, I mostly don't engage in those sorts of discussions/arguments, because I've found they tend to work out *exactly* the same online as they do in person - no one changes their mind because everyone has already decided what/how they're going to believe/lean, so the argument typically does nothing more than make some people angry cause unneeded tension among otherwise-similar people.


What's the right of center? Conservatives, essentially? I'm fiscally conservative in my own country but not sure which political spectrum I identify with here in the States. Not fond of [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE AN IDIOT.] at all. Belief boils down to "let's mind our own businesses and not meddle with that of others". So where do I belong?


Right of center definitely = conservative in my mind. I'm fiscally conservative (this is somewhat complicated though - I believe we could cut the defense budget and still be fine, but that would require cleaning house and getting rid of bad/lazy gov't employees, and we all know that isn't going to happen) and morally/religiously conservative. Work for DoD as a contractor, so again, right-leaning in my thoughts on defense spending Red-blooded capitalism supporting American.

Lots of people would probably categorize me as 'traditional', but labels are stupid, so I try to avoid them

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Platopus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?


I'm on the right for the most part. I'm probably more of a libertarian, but if I had to pick Dem / Rep, I'll almost always vote Republican.

User avatar
QueenBAYder

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 am

saf18hornet wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
tuatarian wrote:From LSAC Twitter: "LSAC will be closed Mon. July 3 and Tues. July 4 for the Independence Day holiday. This will not affect our websites. Have a great holiday!"

So do we think this means it's unlikely they will release scores on the 3rd?

Given this info I'm tempted to believe we won't hear back until the 5 because telling us before a 4-day weekend would likely be a disaster for them.

Alternatively, they don't have to answer phone calls from people complaining/freaking out

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel like this points to scores coming out tomorrow or Friday. What do you say Future Ex-Engineer? Does this change your odds at all?


The other engineer in this thread made the odds, ME! I think my updated odds would be
Thu June 29 = 45:1
Fri June 30 = 5:1
Mon July 3 = 3:1
Tue July 4 = 10:1
Wed July 5 = 20:1
Thu July 6 = LOL

Ha, sorry! Credit where credit is due!

coskigirl

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby coskigirl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
tuatarian wrote:From LSAC Twitter: "LSAC will be closed Mon. July 3 and Tues. July 4 for the Independence Day holiday. This will not affect our websites. Have a great holiday!"

So do we think this means it's unlikely they will release scores on the 3rd?

Given this info I'm tempted to believe we won't hear back until the 5 because telling us before a 4-day weekend would likely be a disaster for them.

Alternatively, they don't have to answer phone calls from people complaining/freaking out

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel like this points to scores coming out tomorrow or Friday. What do you say Future Ex-Engineer? Does this change your odds at all?


Tomorrow I'd say unlikely. Friday I still think unlikely.

Still expect Monday 3rd as most likely. What about you SAFHornet?

Edit: Yep, after seeing his updated odds, that's the same betting line I'd go with


I think the comment about the website not being affected is a big clue toward Monday much to my dismay.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:06 am

chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.


I'm ignorant how to do you reconcile libertarianism and anti capitalism


Like the role of the gov then is only to monitor/direct economy?

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?


Right to right-center. Mostly because of ideological/moral differences between myself and beliefs that come from what I believe about the world vs the left.

There are probably a few of us around here, we just tend to be quieter about our political leanings due to how numerous/outspoken the other side is. For me, I mostly don't engage in those sorts of discussions/arguments, because I've found they tend to work out *exactly* the same online as they do in person - no one changes their mind because everyone has already decided what/how they're going to believe/lean, so the argument typically does nothing more than make some people angry cause unneeded tension among otherwise-similar people.


What's the right of center? Conservatives, essentially? I'm fiscally conservative in my own country but not sure which political spectrum I identify with here in the States. Not fond of [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE AN IDIOT.] at all. Belief boils down to "let's mind our own businesses and not meddle with that of others". So where do I belong?


Right of center definitely = conservative in my mind. I'm fiscally conservative (this is somewhat complicated though - I believe we could cut the defense budget and still be fine, but that would require cleaning house and getting rid of bad/lazy gov't employees, and we all know that isn't going to happen) and morally/religiously conservative. Work for DoD as a contractor, so again, right-leaning in my thoughts on defense spending Red-blooded capitalism supporting American.

Lots of people would probably categorize me as 'traditional', but labels are stupid, so I try to avoid them

The difference between center right and far right to me is whether you are religious and conservative in your own actions, or whether you are religiously conservative and would like the government to legislate upon that ideology

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.


I'm ignorant how to do you reconcile libertarianism and anti capitalism


Like the role of the gov then is only to monitor/direct economy?

The original use of the term libertarian was for a certain strain of socialism, and in the US it has evolved to be pretty close to classical liberalism. I could be completely wrong, but I think the the "liber" part of the word use to refer to "liberation" while it refers to "liberty" now. In many parts of Europe it still retains its original meaning.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:17 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.


I'm ignorant how to do you reconcile libertarianism and anti capitalism


Like the role of the gov then is only to monitor/direct economy?

I mean, anarchism is certainly both libertarian and anti-capitalist. Rojava, the northern (Kurdish) part of Syria, is a bit of an experiment in libertarian socialism ("democratic confederalism" is the name of the specific ideology). Organization there tends to be at the level of towns or villages, the central government is existent but quite weak.

Luxemburg was the leader of the German Communist Party, and opposed Leninism as undemocratic, she supported a free press and direct democratic control of institutions.

And honestly not a big fan of Stein tbh, but by far my favorite of her, Trump, Clinton, and Johnson.
Last edited by Jack_Kelly on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
QueenBAYder

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 am

chargers21 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.

That's almost as far from LP libertarian policy as you can get. Probably closer to a reformed leftist party that I don't know of. Sorry about your vote for Stein, though. She lost me when she pandered to the anti-science crowd

+180 re: Stein... also though, this thread is the only thing keeping me sane right now and I'm worried if we fall too deep into the politics hole we won't be able to climb out of it. What if we talked about... favorite TV shows? Whose bingeing what on Netflix/Hulu right now? I highly recommend the new season of Master of None with Aziz Ansari if anyone is looking for something new to start (30 minute, comedy, but also very well done and unexpectedly cerebral at times).

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby principalagent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am

Interesting that there seems to be more right leaning posters per capita in this thread than in other social threads on TLS.

I'm a pretty solid welfare capitalist and heavy to the left on social issues as well (especially those regarding race and gender/sexual minorities) but I'm a pragmatic thinker and thus am not of the revolution mindset. The Democratic Party serves my purposes just fine (although they need to get their shit together at the moment), but I think I would find a slightly better home in the social democratic parties of Europe.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.

That's almost as far from LP libertarian policy as you can get. Probably closer to a reformed leftist party that I don't know of. Sorry about your vote for Stein, though. She lost me when she pandered to the anti-science crowd

+180 re: Stein... also though, this thread is the only thing keeping me sane right now and I'm worried if we fall too deep into the politics hole we won't be able to climb out of it. What if we talked about... favorite TV shows? Whose bingeing what on Netflix/Hulu right now? I highly recommend the new season of Master of None with Aziz Ansari if anyone is looking for something new to start (30 minute, comedy, but also very well done and unexpectedly cerebral at times).

BoJack Horseman is my favorite show in the world by a mile.

User avatar
mwells56

Silver
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby mwells56 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.


A buddy of mine is a photographer for our University newspaper and went to a Jill Stein recount rally. He said there were like 20 people there and it was sad.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:BoJack Horseman is my favorite show in the world by a mile.

I love BoJack, even after going into it thinking "what the fuck is this?"

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:26 am

chargers21 wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?


Right to right-center. Mostly because of ideological/moral differences between myself and beliefs that come from what I believe about the world vs the left.

There are probably a few of us around here, we just tend to be quieter about our political leanings due to how numerous/outspoken the other side is. For me, I mostly don't engage in those sorts of discussions/arguments, because I've found they tend to work out *exactly* the same online as they do in person - no one changes their mind because everyone has already decided what/how they're going to believe/lean, so the argument typically does nothing more than make some people angry cause unneeded tension among otherwise-similar people.


What's the right of center? Conservatives, essentially? I'm fiscally conservative in my own country but not sure which political spectrum I identify with here in the States. Not fond of [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE AN IDIOT.] at all. Belief boils down to "let's mind our own businesses and not meddle with that of others". So where do I belong?


Right of center definitely = conservative in my mind. I'm fiscally conservative (this is somewhat complicated though - I believe we could cut the defense budget and still be fine, but that would require cleaning house and getting rid of bad/lazy gov't employees, and we all know that isn't going to happen) and morally/religiously conservative. Work for DoD as a contractor, so again, right-leaning in my thoughts on defense spending Red-blooded capitalism supporting American.

Lots of people would probably categorize me as 'traditional', but labels are stupid, so I try to avoid them

The difference between center right and far right to me is whether you are religious and conservative in your own actions, or whether you are religiously conservative and would like the government to legislate upon that ideology


Then I fit snugly in the center right category. Honestly DGAF about what other people do, and honestly I'd rather the gov't not determine how they are supposed to act. But I also would appreciate the same kind of behavior from the other side.

That whole thing gets complicated though - because I do have some political opinions about what should be legal/not legal based on what I see as a danger to society/myself, and other people don't see those same issues through the same lens. So while I might be opposed to something on a personal safety/decency opinion, someone else more right would probably be opposed to it for religious/ideological reasons, while someone else would be in favor of it because of a very different worldview.

This stuff is confusing and difficult.

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby principalagent » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

QueenBAYder wrote:+180 re: Stein... also though, this thread is the only thing keeping me sane right now and I'm worried if we fall too deep into the politics hole we won't be able to climb out of it. What if we talked about... favorite TV shows? Whose bingeing what on Netflix/Hulu right now? I highly recommend the new season of Master of None with Aziz Ansari if anyone is looking for something new to start (30 minute, comedy, but also very well done and unexpectedly cerebral at times).


I started binging Transparent this weekend and it's amazing. Extremely great and nuanced treatment of issues around gender and sexuality and expression with a great amount of dark humor. Watched the first two seasons in about 48 hours and I couldn't recommend it enough.

User avatar
QueenBAYder

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:While we're on the subject of politics, anyone else right of center? Or am I alone?

ooooooh boy you will be ripped to shreds in the off-topics if you make it there. A fellow C/O 2020 poster, bwaldorf, is certainly right of center. She has been harassed a bit for that because this site is super liberal. I personally am a small "l" libertarian. I usually vote left because of my social liberalness. I vote libertarian when it's an option, even though some of the platforms for the party are whacky. but otherwise often vote Dem. I vote for some repubs in the local elections because everyone in my area is pretty far right regardless of party affiliation.

Libertarians also get ripped to shreds on here. #TaxationIsTheft #DefendThe2nd #LegalizeFreedom

I voted for Gary in 2016

I describe myself as a small l libertarian as well, but in the old sense of the word. I'm a libertarian socialist, I probably identify mostly with Luxemburgism. Support a small central government and direct democracy, But I'm also an anti-capitalist, which puts me pretty far from the US Libertarian Party policy. Johnson might be slightly less awful than Clinton in my mind due to foreign policy alone, but I threw my vote away with Stein instead.

That's almost as far from LP libertarian policy as you can get. Probably closer to a reformed leftist party that I don't know of. Sorry about your vote for Stein, though. She lost me when she pandered to the anti-science crowd

+180 re: Stein... also though, this thread is the only thing keeping me sane right now and I'm worried if we fall too deep into the politics hole we won't be able to climb out of it. What if we talked about... favorite TV shows? Whose bingeing what on Netflix/Hulu right now? I highly recommend the new season of Master of None with Aziz Ansari if anyone is looking for something new to start (30 minute, comedy, but also very well done and unexpectedly cerebral at times).

BoJack Horseman is my favorite show in the world by a mile.

Love BoJack! If you like Will Arnett, are you an Arrested Development fan as well? I like most of his stuff but I thought Flaked was just "meh," I couldn't make it through the season.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests