June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
5%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
18%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
11%

Total votes: 140

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
zkyggi wrote:I have now forgotten enough of the June LSAT to stop worrying about my score. Three cheers for bad memory?

Someone mentioned orangutans yesterday an it triggered my ptsd

I'm shook by how deceitful they are.

Sploshy

New

Postby Sploshy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm

... don't say anything that deals with an answer to a question.

coskigirl

Bronze

Postby coskigirl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:35 pm

I've been doing okay managing this stress until yesterday when an attorney acquaintance decided to tell me that most people she knows dropped 10 points from their highest PT. That may be true but for the love of god why do you think you need to tell me that right now? I'm well aware that it happens and of course have since read plenty about the spread between actual and practice but sheesh. I think I'll be pouring myself some Blanton's tonight.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:38 pm

coskigirl wrote:I've been doing okay managing this stress until yesterday when an attorney acquaintance decided to tell me that most people she knows dropped 10 points from their highest PT. That may be true but for the love of god why do you think you need to tell me that right now? I'm well aware that it happens and of course have since read plenty about the spread between actual and practice but sheesh. I think I'll be pouring myself some Blanton's tonight.

10 pt's from their highest PT doesn't really seem like a good indicator. I would worry more about a drop from their actual PT average, not just their highest score. In any case, blow it off. You know how you feel about the test. Pour yourself that bourbon and forget about it!

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Platopus wrote:
coskigirl wrote:I've been doing okay managing this stress until yesterday when an attorney acquaintance decided to tell me that most people she knows dropped 10 points from their highest PT. That may be true but for the love of god why do you think you need to tell me that right now? I'm well aware that it happens and of course have since read plenty about the spread between actual and practice but sheesh. I think I'll be pouring myself some Blanton's tonight.

10 pt's from their highest PT doesn't really seem like a good indicator. I would worry more about a drop from their actual PT average, not just their highest score. In any case, blow it off. You know how you feel about the test. Pour yourself that bourbon and forget about it!

+1

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm

I previously wasn't considering a consultant unless I scored in HYS territory, but this thread is scaring me into getting a consultation with MS9 and friends viewtopic.php?f=1&t=277875

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:I previously wasn't considering a consultant unless I scored in HYS territory, but this thread is scaring me into getting a consultation with MS9 and friends viewtopic.php?f=1&t=277875

I'm working with MS9 and friends. Also just got convinced to retake in December, FML, unless I way over perform past my PT scores for strategic reasons. But I'm not starting the December thread... I don't want that responsibility.

Welp, guess I'm resubmitting that Amazon order I canceled twice...

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 pm

vtdelt wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:I previously wasn't considering a consultant unless I scored in HYS territory, but this thread is scaring me into getting a consultation with MS9 and friends viewtopic.php?f=1&t=277875

I'm working with MS9 and friends. Also just got convinced to retake in December, FML, unless I way over perform past my PT scores for strategic reasons. But I'm not starting the December thread... I don't want that responsibility.

Out of curiosity...what is your "retake" amazon order? I keep starting to put one together as well...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 pm

vtdelt wrote:

I'm still holding out hope that I don't have to retake but if I do I'll be taking the September test. What does MS9 charge if you don't mind me asking? I'm dead broke and my parents don't have tons of money laying around but I might make it work, if it leads to a successful scholarship negotiation or if I mildly over perform my numbers the couple thousand it would cost would be well worth it. I'd probably have to take out a private student loan if my parents can't lend me the money, but again it still could be worth it.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 pm

I believe this particular poster had a number of "red flags" in their application. From what I remember, his or her personal statement made it sound like law school was a back up option, and they had a couple of other minor things that manifested itself into less than stellar results. Even so, seems like it worked out reasonably well for them.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:08 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

Out of curiosity...what is your "retake" amazon order? I keep starting to put one together as well...

Right now it's just the LSAT trainer because I didn't have that in my previous prep. I did like 1/2 of all the bibles and a local class plus 8 hours of 1:1 tutoring so I'll also finish out reading through the Bibles. Got an 18 point increase from my diagnostic to my final PT in 2.5 months. I'm sure someone will find fault with my previous study method of not having the trainer, finishing the bibles, and not doing 7sage. But in my defense my goal is/was different from most of you with staying in my city and going part time. I came here because the only people i knew doing the LSAT were in my prep class and they were not as motivated with their goals, some had goal schools of TTT, and lurking on here and seeing what you guys are doing to try and get to HYS or somewhere in T14 really helped to motivate me to work harder than I probably would have in comparison to my classmates.

This time I'm trying to pickup more methods for attacking LR and RC because I'm already a 0-1 on regular LGs and a -3 max on LGs with a weird game. It's the LR and RC I need to shore up from a timing and accuracy perspective cuz I was getting a BR in the 174+ range so I know I have the ability it's just getting there under timed conditions. All my studying and drilling were in the 40-60's and I still have sections/PTs that are unused so I'll use those, and reuse the ones I already did for drilling, and probably pickup whatever I haven't touched in the 70's and maybe even 1-30 for the weird LGs just in case so that I can have that a -0 as well. Right now I'm not as worried about the which PTs to use as I am about getting more tools to figure out which things from various methods work for me and create my way of getting the highest score that I can with a longer prep period versus the 2.5 month crash course that most places offer.

Might even spring for 7sage, although I suck with motivation for online type classes, and take all those plus some additional 1:1 tutoring to get a plan of attack for December since I have just under 6 months of time to do this thing.
Last edited by Experiment626 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

I'm still holding out hope that I don't have to retake but if I do I'll be taking the September test. What does MS9 charge if you don't mind me asking? I'm dead broke and my parents don't have tons of money laying around but I might make it work, if it leads to a successful scholarship negotiation or if I mildly over perform my numbers the couple thousand it would cost would be well worth it. I'd probably have to take out a private student loan if my parents can't lend me the money, but again it still could be worth it.

Like any consultant it depends on the package you pick so what I picked won't really help you unless you want the same one. I can say that their options are cheaper than Ivy.

I don't remember if you've posted your GPA and stuff but I think you've got a better chance than you give yourself, pending score, and definitely better than me. Your PTs are higher and there's definitely resources here, and if you have friends that went through the process, that will help you. I've engaged with them because I am a non-trad app that doesn't have those resources, plus child of immigrants so my my writing is not exactly the strongest, and I'd rather pay the money to have that experience and advice than do it on my own because I know doing it on my own will not lead to success based on my background. If you really are that concerned, I would reach out to their info email to start the conversation and they'll provide you all their packages and pricing. I did that back in February.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 pm

That was a good read thanks for the link jimmy. Kinda makes me want to hit up MS9 if/ when I decide to reapply

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 pm

vtdelt wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

Like any consultant it depends on the package you pick so what I picked won't really help you unless you want the same one. I can say that their options are cheaper than Ivy.

I don't remember if you've posted your GPA and stuff but I think you've got a better chance than you give yourself, pending score, and definitely better than me. Your PTs are higher and there's definitely resources here, and if you have friends that went through the process, that will help you. I've engaged with them because I am a non-trad app that doesn't have those resources, plus child of immigrants so my my writing is not exactly the strongest, and I'd rather pay the money to have that experience and advice than do it on my own because I know doing it on my own will not lead to success based on my background. If you really are that concerned, I would reach out to their info email to start the conversation and they'll provide you all their packages and pricing. I did that back in February.

Thanks for the info, I'll email them now. My GPA is 3.82 but I am worried about messing something up and underperforming my numbers, especially if I end up scoring at the upper end of my PT range, which I don't think is impossible for June/September retake. I'm especially concerned with being waitlisted due to YP at lower T14 but not getting any money at CCN, which I'm not really interested in anyways. If I score in the low 170s this is a real possibility and I think MS9 could help me avoid this. But then again I have only $1,000 to my name with limited parental support, I will probably barely be able to afford apps, deposits, possible retake and apartments, let alone a consultant.

I know this is all putting the cart way before the horse, but what else am I going to do while waiting for my score?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

Thanks for the info, I'll email them now. My GPA is 3.82 but I am worried about messing something up and underperforming my numbers, especially if I end up scoring at the upper end of my PT range, which I don't think is impossible for June/September retake. I'm especially concerned with being waitlisted due to YP at lower T14 but not getting any money at CCN, which I'm not really interested in anyways. If I score in the low 170s this is a real possibility and I think MS9 could help me avoid this. But then again I have only $1,000 to my name with limited parental support, I will probably barely be able to afford apps, deposits, possible retake and apartments, let alone a consultant.

I know this is all putting the cart way before the horse, but what else am I going to do while waiting for my score?

Beginning to feel like this three week wait is part of some large social experiment that LSAC has been running for decades...I'm interested in speaking with the IRB

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
Beginning to feel like this three week wait is part of some large social experiment that LSAC has been running for decades...I'm interested in speaking with the IRB

Sadly, the blog on turnaround time for scores that was posted earlier dully disputes this...

Edit: fully not dully. -_-
Last edited by Experiment626 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Don't read into this too much. This person completely botched their app from top to bottom besides their numbers, and obviously didn't consult with anyone on this board about their PS and whether they needed why X essays. MS9 is great and is worth it for non traditional students, super splitters, and people with c&f issues, etc., but I think it costs something in the neighborhood of 2500 and is largely overkill for most people. You can genuinely get a great app by following advice on this board and creating a strong narrative. I went 6/8 for the t13s I applied to without great numbers, wtote my PS using the personal statement guide on this website

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Postby QueenBAYder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

vtdelt wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:

Sadly, the blog on turnaround time for scores that was posted earlier dully disputes this...

Darn you and your level headedness... :roll:

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:05 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
vtdelt wrote:

3.8/171 should get 60k from Chicago and NYU. Screw Columbia.

it's allgood

Bronze

Postby it's allgood » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 am

This person also blew off an interview and was late for another. You really seem to have it together way more that the OP, so I really do not think your situations are comparable and you most likely do not need to be so worried about a consultant.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:26 am

QueenBAYder wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:

Darn you and your level headedness... :roll:

A 0L being logical?!?! :shock: :)

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Postby LesPaul1995 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am

People have urged me to hire a consultant but I can't imagine the process is that variable, as long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot during your PS and your LORS are decent. I have a c&f issue but why would I hire a consultant for them just to tell me to disclose and write an addendum?

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

vtdelt wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:

:/ Finding it so hard to re-study LSAT again... It'll be a nightmarish 2-3 months all over again. What little knowledge I retain from LSAT has evaporated already.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

lynn.wibi wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:

:/ Finding it so hard to re-study LSAT again... It'll be a nightmarish 2-3 months all over again. What little knowledge I retain from LSAT has evaporated already.

At least you're doing it in Sept. I have now until December to look forward to...

Edit: Clarifying on why I registered for December. This has nothing to do with how I feel about my June test but more of a strategic choice in applications. I know I can do better with a longer prep time and I'd rather bite the bullet, secure a spot in a good test center, and start prepping to get a higher score to be more attractive to schools ranked higher than my goal schools for leverage in negotiations.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?