June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
17%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
12%

Total votes: 143

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:48 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Applied to be a tutor for Kaplan. Have to submit my audition tape tomorrow, so at least I have a chance of something good coming from blowing it on test day lol.
Let me know how that goes, I'm applying both there and to Princeton Review but I'm debating whether I should just try to do it on my own at my Undergrad.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Applied to be a tutor for Kaplan. Have to submit my audition tape tomorrow, so at least I have a chance of something good coming from blowing it on test day lol.
Let me know how that goes, I'm applying both there and to Princeton Review but I'm debating whether I should just try to do it on my own at my Undergrad.
For sure. The audition process is easy, you just explain what an assumption is and guide them through answering an simple question and identifying the premise and conclusion.

Why not both? Idk how your work schedule is, but it seems like there are some weeks where you wouldn't work very many hours. Could always do private sessions on the side.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
For sure. The audition process is easy, you just explain what an assumption is and guide them through answering an simple question and identifying the premise and conclusion.

Why not both? Idk how your work schedule is, but it seems like there are some weeks where you wouldn't work very many hours. Could always do private sessions on the side.
That sounds like a killer gig, especially since most people taking a Kaplan class probably won't have tons of experience with the test. Not sure I could tutor someone over 170, but I bet I could do well with someone in the 140s.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm

rowdy wrote:
That sounds like a killer gig, especially since most people taking a Kaplan class probably won't have tons of experience with the test. Not sure I could tutor someone over 170, but I bet I could do well with someone in the 140s.
Yeah I mean you only have to score in the 90th to qualify, so I'm assuming it's not very advanced. Getting someone past 170 would be tough but there are a lot of other factors that come into play once you get that high in your scores, there's only so much a tutor can do.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
mikey85 wrote:General advice question: I gota 169, which is a full 5 points below where I was scoring on my PTs. I know I can do better. But the September test is on the day of a wedding I am in and I would be jeopardizing an important friendship if I dropped out of it to retake the LSAT. Is it worth it to retake in December if I want to apply this cycle?
What's your GPA and where are you looking to apply? You could apply around October/November with the score, and retake in December to get off of waitlists or for scholarship negotiation.
I'm with the line of thought in bold. I was debating adding September to get a higher score but really shoot for my 170+ in December but was told higher score beats later app (for my situation), especially if the score you're planning to get is beyond that school's 75%.
As a pretty extreme splitter, I think applying early with the lower school could get him dinged before the new score comes out
Yeah, after seeing the GPA I would hold. I'd probably hit up an admissions consultant as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Walliums wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
mikey85 wrote:General advice question: I gota 169, which is a full 5 points below where I was scoring on my PTs. I know I can do better. But the September test is on the day of a wedding I am in and I would be jeopardizing an important friendship if I dropped out of it to retake the LSAT. Is it worth it to retake in December if I want to apply this cycle?
What's your GPA and where are you looking to apply? You could apply around October/November with the score, and retake in December to get off of waitlists or for scholarship negotiation.
I'm with the line of thought in bold. I was debating adding September to get a higher score but really shoot for my 170+ in December but was told higher score beats later app (for my situation), especially if the score you're planning to get is beyond that school's 75%.
As a pretty extreme splitter, I think applying early with the lower school could get him dinged before the new score comes out
Yeah, after seeing the GPA I would hold. I'd probably hit up an admissions consultant as well.
Yea, agree. Didn't see the GPA when I endorsed...

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 pm

so now that this thread is dead where can i go to bounce around ideas for apps/shitpost/kill time?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Post by QueenBAYder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

rowdy wrote:
I didn't like it as much. Strong recommend for the Fox LSAT books though. Less "one simple trick that LSAC hates!!!" than most books--the author doesn't over-strategize.
Sorry to bring back an older post here! Rowdy, did you also use the FOX LG book? If so, did you find it useful?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:30 pm

dm1683 wrote:so now that this thread is dead where can i go to bounce around ideas for apps/shitpost/kill time?
someone can start the c/o 2021 applicants thread for shit posting goals :p

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:so now that this thread is dead where can i go to bounce around ideas for apps/shitpost/kill time?
what subforum does it go in?

I'll OP it and then give it to MBC if they want when back from Barbados

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Mikey wrote:

it goes in 'Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists'

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:52 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
rowdy wrote:
I didn't like it as much. Strong recommend for the Fox LSAT books though. Less "one simple trick that LSAC hates!!!" than most books--the author doesn't over-strategize.
Sorry to bring back an older post here! Rowdy, did you also use the FOX LG book? If so, did you find it useful?
Yes. I got the guide to preptest 61 (first one I got) then the LR and LG books. The games book is basically 7 "sets" of 5 games each (more or less, I don't remember exactly). The games aren't grouped by type - they are mixed type, grouped by difficulty. One game is from PT70 which is lame but most are from the "lost tests" in between the actual official books. So they were 95% games I never saw before, but still real LSAT questions. It has 3 copies of each game so you can practice each one multiple times on fresh paper.

The style of this book is similar to the LR book - it has you try the questions first, then gives you a detailed walk-through. You have chances to try again with different strategies. What I like about it compared to the PowerScore and 7sage is that sometimes those guides over-infer (for my tastes). For example, they will go through and mark everywhere a variable can't go, because technically that would help you solve the game (even if it doesn't help much in practice). The Fox guide doesn't present "THE perfect way to solve the game". It talks through how to think about and analyze games and improvise. I loosened up and experimented more on the games after going through it. It also helped me learn to intuit when to "split" the game into parallel universes.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Do itttttt

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Come to the December study group thread I started DM!

Anyone else feel weird we're not talking on a daily basis after the last week? I miss talking to y'all in this thread!

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Come to the December study group thread I started DM!

Anyone else feel weird we're not talking on a daily basis after the last week? I miss talking to y'all in this thread!
I do! And I'm going to have a hard time not thinking of you as "delt"...the good old days before I knew my score lol

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 pm

rowdy wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Yes. I got the guide to preptest 61 (first one I got) then the LR and LG books. The games book is basically 7 "sets" of 5 games each (more or less, I don't remember exactly). The games aren't grouped by type - they are mixed type, grouped by difficulty. One game is from PT70 which is lame but most are from the "lost tests" in between the actual official books. So they were 95% games I never saw before, but still real LSAT questions. It has 3 copies of each game so you can practice each one multiple times on fresh paper.

The style of this book is similar to the LR book - it has you try the questions first, then gives you a detailed walk-through. You have chances to try again with different strategies. What I like about it compared to the PowerScore and 7sage is that sometimes those guides over-infer (for my tastes). For example, they will go through and mark everywhere a variable can't go, because technically that would help you solve the game (even if it doesn't help much in practice). The Fox guide doesn't present "THE perfect way to solve the game". It talks through how to think about and analyze games and improvise. I loosened up and experimented more on the games after going through it. It also helped me learn to intuit when to "split" the game into parallel universes.
Thanks for the run down! I went ahead and ordered both the LG and the LR books. I'm hoping the LG book will be the ticket for making LG "click" for me, as I still struggle on timing.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:38 pm

QueenBAYder wrote:
rowdy wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Thanks for the run down! I went ahead and ordered both the LG and the LR books. I'm hoping the LG book will be the ticket for making LG "click" for me, as I still struggle on timing.
Listen to the advice in that book then! It's totally counterintuitive, but TLDR slow down and take your time on reading and set up, and you'll naturally end up saving time in the answers without trying to rush.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 pm

QueenBAYder wrote: I do! And I'm going to have a hard time not thinking of you as "X"...the good old days before I knew my score lol
Yea, I'm feeling schitzo on here because I think of myself from my old ID but it was necessary to not be identified by anyone lurking on here that has my resume and knows I'm applying to school.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
QueenBAYder wrote: I do! And I'm going to have a hard time not thinking of you as "X"...the good old days before I knew my score lol
Yea, I'm feeling schitzo on here because I think of myself from my old ID but it was necessary to not be identified by anyone lurking on here that has my resume and knows I'm applying to school.
Anyone who knows me personally would probably be able to ID me too. Should that worry me?

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
I'm also planning on doing this. I'd like to know how much success people have had just freelancing (and I'm not really in a college town rn, though I'm not too far from App State).

cremdelacrem

New

Post by cremdelacrem » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 am

jk
Last edited by cremdelacrem on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:01 am

ATLANTA people: Any recommendations on testing centers? Really looking for tables not desks

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 am

Really looking forward to it being a year from now and knowing where I'm going to be.

cremdelacrem

New

Post by cremdelacrem » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:34 am

Yeah piggybacking off this, anyone know anything about Queens College in NY??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”