3-4 weeks in and no improvement/stuck Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sanghyunp2004

New

3-4 weeks in and no improvement/stuck

Post by sanghyunp2004 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:35 am

Hey guys,

I posted about a month ago, well after doing 1-2 full mock PT and doing a bunch of sections I've realized that my LR (2007) score was a fluke.

My current score distribution is LG: 0/-1, LR: 5-6 (Per Section), RC: 5-6 which currently puts me on around 165.

I'm not sure how I should study for RC/LR. As for LR, I'm currently going through the LR bible and while it helps I don't think its thorough enough? I've been doing practice problems and thoroughly been reviewing the questions and yet I'm still missing 5-6 a section + I've been missing a variety of questions so I can't specify the type and focus on that. After I miss it, I thoroughly review it (or at least I think I am).

For RC I've usually narrow it down to 1-2 choices and I go with the wrong one, I think I'm making progress with it but my score hasn't been improving.
I'm not sure whether I'm trying to look for improvements so fast or I'm approaching my studying wrong but I just need some tips and pointers on how to study RC/LR (especially LR).

Thank you for your time!

Experiment626

Silver

Re: 3-4 weeks in and no improvement/stuck

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:23 am

Are you running your questions though one of the analyzers that gives you the type and difficulty? That's probably a good place to start. Even if it's just for a practice section if you know which test it's from you can run it to get the data the clear it from your history so it doesn't impact your PT analysis.

Reading Comp seems to be the hardest to improve. I've been working with a local course in my city plus doing 1:1 tutoring. Their methods are working for me, better than what I was doing from PS Bible prior to starting their course, especially the comparative reading one, but each person has to find what works best for them.

I also would say don't stress yet, when I started we had a PT about 4 weeks in and my score was barely better than my diagnostic with them, I was about to give up to but was told it's normal. Next PT 2 weeks later after we had covered 80% of the course material I had a 9 point jump and am currrently ranging 10-15 points above where I started and right at my goal score for June's test depending on certain factors, like lack of sleep or weird PT center issues.

bcjets212

New

Post by bcjets212 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:06 am

sanghyunp2004 wrote:Hey guys,

I posted about a month ago, well after doing 1-2 full mock PT and doing a bunch of sections I've realized that my LR (2007) score was a fluke.

My current score distribution is LG: 0/-1, LR: 5-6 (Per Section), RC: 5-6 which currently puts me on around 165.

I'm not sure how I should study for RC/LR. As for LR, I'm currently going through the LR bible and while it helps I don't think its thorough enough? I've been doing practice problems and thoroughly been reviewing the questions and yet I'm still missing 5-6 a section + I've been missing a variety of questions so I can't specify the type and focus on that. After I miss it, I thoroughly review it (or at least I think I am).

For RC I've usually narrow it down to 1-2 choices and I go with the wrong one, I think I'm making progress with it but my score hasn't been improving.
I'm not sure whether I'm trying to look for improvements so fast or I'm approaching my studying wrong but I just need some tips and pointers on how to study RC/LR (especially LR).

Thank you for your time!
Hey,

I'm a full-time LSAT tutor and 180 scorer (not a big poster but I like to give help where I can).

Assuming your -5 or so in RC is NOT from the same passage, the best drill to do is what I call the "cover up" drill. You should take as much time as you need to read and do not take any notes. When you finish reading, answer the questions without looking back at the passage at all. Even specific reference questions, do not look back. The drill will help you slow down reading and train you to better pull out answers on your own. Takes getting used to, but it's what works for all my students once they cross the threshold of no full "misses" (i.e. 4 or 5 wrong in one passage).

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:16 am

I think you're taking PTs much too fast, especially since you aren't taking for a whole year. If those were really old tests it's not a big deal but you shouldn't be touching anything after June 2007 yet

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Keep working. Honestly, its a great score for even a month in. 165 is def a threshold and it takes patience to break it. Keep drilling and working and one day youll sit down take a PT and have broken it. Plateau is pretty natural so dont get discouraged. A lot of people experience this at your score and then around 168-170.. I've been there and the LSAT is something that just takes Relentless work. keep at it!

Best of luck!

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 pm

sanghyunp2004 wrote:Hey guys,

Thank you for your time!
As a free resource, 7Sage is useful for putting in your PT choices. 7Sage will, for free, show you some data on the difficulty of each problem and a distribution of what other people chose (but I do not know where 7Sage gets that latter data). I find this really helpful, because it puts my answers choices in perspective. Otherwise, review is non-ideal. I particularly like looking at all the hardest questions, and then where students chose the right answers in small proportion. These are great opportunities to learn, even if you got the questions right, IMO. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”