Are PT 1~20 considered easy?

byngcui

Are PT 1~20 considered easy?

Postby byngcui » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:48 am

I've been going through PT 1~20 for the last two weeks consistently scoring -5~-8 on the LR sections combined doing timed tests. However, as I am going through PT 21~30, I have been observing my LR scores suffer greatly. On one occasion, I got 13 questions wrong in a single LR section. Is there a trend of LR becoming more difficult, or is it just me?

Also, I finished the Powerscore LR bible but I can't really seem to get any use out of it while I'm going through the timed tests. Any suggestions on how I could improve my LR scores would be much appreciated.

thanks

Pozzo

Re: Are PT 1~20 considered easy?

Postby Pozzo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

LR does have some subtle changes over time, so you may be seeing some of that. However, I wouldn't say that over time they get any harder. Also, 21-30 are still early tests and are pretty similar to 1-20. I remember seeing more changes in LR in the most recent tests, say PTs 65+. The most notable change is that the stimuli tend to be a little longer. However, they are the same kinds of questions, and a strong grasp of fundamentals will serve you well on both early and later tests.

Re: improving, generally. If you're struggling doing questions timed, it means some of those fundamentals are still lacking. Back off the timed tests for a bit and continue with untimed practice until you're able to get most if not all of them right. Speed will come in time.

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

I actually felt like the early LR sections were harder because a lot of them were worded poorly. Once I went to higher numbered tests, it got a little easier. But apparently the newest tests have pretty tough LR.

I also struggled/am struggling with LR. I got better after doing a lot of questions and sort of just recognizing the types of answers they look for on each question type. Of course identify premises, conclusions, new elements, all that, but with time you'll get the hang of identifying correct answers more easily.

Greenteachurro
"Big Bang Theory is great, actually."

Postby Greenteachurro » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53 am

byngcui wrote:I've been going through PT 1~20 for the last two weeks consistently scoring -5~-8 on the LR sections combined doing timed tests. However, as I am going through PT 21~30, I have been observing my LR scores suffer greatly. On one occasion, I got 13 questions wrong in a single LR section. Is there a trend of LR becoming more difficult, or is it just me?

Also, I finished the Powerscore LR bible but I can't really seem to get any use out of it while I'm going through the timed tests. Any suggestions on how I could improve my LR scores would be much appreciated.

thanks

I mean I don't think they were straight up easier but they have a stronger emphasis on formal logic IIRC than some of the more recent questions. So that's probably why they feel a bit different.

maybeman

Postby maybeman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Subtle, long-term changes to the test are a thing, but not one that can affect your scores that significantly.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”