LR advice

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
YellowWolf

New

LR advice

Postby YellowWolf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 pm

For all you 170+ folk, how much diagramming do you do on LR, and what is your timing breakdown like. I feel like I usually mess up on formal logic Q, wondering if you allocate extra time to these Q (particularly parallel reasoning), do you bump your time up to 2min?

Platopus

Silver

Re: LR advice

Postby Platopus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 pm

I usually only diagram formal logic, when necessary, and parallel questions that specifically rely on conditionality. So yes, if you are trying to crack 170, you'll need to devote more time to these questions. Remember, the test is designed so that vast majority of takers run out of time, but also so that there is at least the possibility of finishing on time (for some). Don't worry so much if a question takes 2 minutes, a long parallel flaw question is designed to take 2+ minutes. The trick here is to make up the time earlier in the section when questions can be tackled in 45 seconds or less.

Usually I aim for the first 15 questions in 15 minutes, which leaves me about 2 minutes per question for the rest. I'll also sometimes skip a long PR question and save it for the end, so that I can at least read all the questions. Sure, sometimes I have to throw a hail mary and tackle that last question in 45 seconds, but this is on the rarer side.

YellowWolf

New

Postby YellowWolf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:59 am

Platopus wrote:I usually only diagram formal logic, when necessary, and parallel questions that specifically rely on conditionality. So yes, if you are trying to crack 170, you'll need to devote more time to these questions. Remember, the test is designed so that vast majority of takers run out of time, but also so that there is at least the possibility of finishing on time (for some). Don't worry so much if a question takes 2 minutes, a long parallel flaw question is designed to take 2+ minutes. The trick here is to make up the time earlier in the section when questions can be tackled in 45 seconds or less.

Usually I aim for the first 15 questions in 15 minutes, which leaves me about 2 minutes per question for the rest. I'll also sometimes skip a long PR question and save it for the end, so that I can at least read all the questions. Sure, sometimes I have to throw a hail mary and tackle that last question in 45 seconds, but this is on the rarer side.

Ok good, I usually require 2:30 on tricky parallel reasoning Q. Also I was wondering if you are 99% sure you have the answer at choice A,B,C on easier problems do you still read all the answers? I know most prep manuals suggest reading all answer choices but I feel like on easy Q I can sometimes be certain I have the correct answer at choice A or B. Do you still read every answer or do you just pick it and move on?

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:34 am

I don't write anything during LR and I don't time myself, but timing hasn't been an issue for me for quite some time. I would say that you should not focus on spending a specific amount of time per question, because some they vary in difficulty and should thus vary in time required to answer.

I do "read" every AC, but usually my pre phrase is correct so I'm just skimming to make sure I didn't get duped (test makers love to trick us). The only exception is main conclusion questions, which I only read until I find the answer and move on. Typically, I finish with about 5-7 minutes left, and I go back over any ones I was shaky on.

If you struggle on PR questions, I recommend skipping them until the end. That way they don't mess up your flow and you can maximize your points by leaving the ones you're most likely to miss as last, allowing a brute force strategy of diagramming each AC.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 am

YellowWolf wrote:For all you 170+ folk, how much diagramming do you do on LR, and what is your timing breakdown like. I feel like I usually mess up on formal logic Q, wondering if you allocate extra time to these Q (particularly parallel reasoning), do you bump your time up to 2min?

Not sure if I qualify as 170+ folk (PT average is 169) but LR is consistently my strongest section. I very rarely diagram (maybe once per test at the max) and even then its pretty basic and short, usually for conditional logic on PR questions. As far as timing for those go, I try to aim to do the first 15 questions in 15 minutes, but only as a very general rule. I'll take as much time is needed for PR questions (sometimes 3 minutes on hard ones, but this is only possible because there are many questions that I take out in 45 seconds or less) and don't ever skip in LR. I keep working on them until I either eliminate 4 answers definitively, confirm a correct answer definitively or feel like I'm just spinning wheels and not making any progress. If its the latter situation I pick the best answer and move on, and if I have time to review at the end I'll come back to it and rework the question.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:45 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
YellowWolf wrote:For all you 170+ folk, how much diagramming do you do on LR, and what is your timing breakdown like. I feel like I usually mess up on formal logic Q, wondering if you allocate extra time to these Q (particularly parallel reasoning), do you bump your time up to 2min?

Not sure if I qualify as 170+ folk

Oh, you gonna qualify as 170+ folk after test day :wink:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�