Test anxiety?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sat May 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Does anyone freak out when they take a timed PT? Whenever I take a timed PT, I get nervous + I can't think clearly (even with warming up). I don't have this problem when I take separate timed sections tho. How do I work on this?

*Also, I've always had test anxiety but there was always enough time to snap out of it during tests in undergrad... but due to the nature of the LSAT, I don't have time to waste calming myself down :cry:

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Mikey » Sat May 27, 2017 9:02 pm

I struggled with this for a while. Every timed PT I did, I felt anxious and couldn't think straight. The only advice I have to how I overcame it was by just continuing to do PTs. It eventually got better and would only happen for RC, which is my worst section. Then eventually it kinda just stopped altogether..

letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Mikey wrote:I struggled with this for a while. Every timed PT I did, I felt anxious and couldn't think straight. The only advice I have to how I overcame it was by just continuing to do PTs. It eventually got better and would only happen for RC, which is my worst section. Then eventually it kinda just stopped altogether..


How many PTs in did you see change?

It's so discouraging :(

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Mikey » Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm

letslsat wrote:
Mikey wrote:I struggled with this for a while. Every timed PT I did, I felt anxious and couldn't think straight. The only advice I have to how I overcame it was by just continuing to do PTs. It eventually got better and would only happen for RC, which is my worst section. Then eventually it kinda just stopped altogether..


How many PTs in did you see change?

It's so discouraging :(

I'm not sure but maybe after like 6 or 7.

I felt like I was wasting the PTs due to the anxiety but reviewing them nonetheless was helpful.

Just keep at it, it will get better eventually!

letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sat May 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Mikey wrote:
letslsat wrote:
Mikey wrote:I struggled with this for a while. Every timed PT I did, I felt anxious and couldn't think straight. The only advice I have to how I overcame it was by just continuing to do PTs. It eventually got better and would only happen for RC, which is my worst section. Then eventually it kinda just stopped altogether..


How many PTs in did you see change?

It's so discouraging :(

I'm not sure but maybe after like 6 or 7.

I felt like I was wasting the PTs due to the anxiety but reviewing them nonetheless was helpful.

Just keep at it, it will get better eventually!


Thanks! I feel like I'm too far into my prep to keep letting my nerves get to me :roll:

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Sprout » Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Practice meditation and breathing techniques for test anxiety / anxiety in general. Shit works. There are a lot of good resources online for this if it is new for you. I have gnarly test anxiety myself and I know it is no cake walk. It can be managed though. Good luck, pm me if you can't find any good resources online

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Platopus » Sat May 27, 2017 11:33 pm

I'll echo others in saying that tons of practices tests really do help, but I'll also add that it might be worth it to seriously take like 5-10 second at the start of a section and just take some deep breaths. When I get anxious I tend to speed up and have to reread stuff, which actually makes me slower. Taking 10 seconds will feel like an entirety and is enough time to go "OK, this is an RC section, I know what I need to do". Those 10 seconds are pretty negligible and are worth it if it helps you compose your self.

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Sprout » Sat May 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Platopus wrote:I'll echo others in saying that tons of practices tests really do help, but I'll also add that it might be worth it to seriously take like 5-10 second at the start of a section and just take some deep breaths. When I get anxious I tend to speed up and have to reread stuff, which actually makes me slower. Taking 10 seconds will feel like an entirety and is enough time to go "OK, this is an RC section, I know what I need to do". Those 10 seconds are pretty negligible and are worth it if it helps you compose your self.

This is excellent advice.

letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sat May 27, 2017 11:57 pm

Platopus wrote:I'll echo others in saying that tons of practices tests really do help, but I'll also add that it might be worth it to seriously take like 5-10 second at the start of a section and just take some deep breaths. When I get anxious I tend to speed up and have to reread stuff, which actually makes me slower. Taking 10 seconds will feel like an entirety and is enough time to go "OK, this is an RC section, I know what I need to do". Those 10 seconds are pretty negligible and are worth it if it helps you compose your self.


Ok! I'll try this again on my next PT. Thank you!

letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 am

Sprout wrote:Practice meditation and breathing techniques for test anxiety / anxiety in general. Shit works. There are a lot of good resources online for this if it is new for you. I have gnarly test anxiety myself and I know it is no cake walk. It can be managed though. Good luck, pm me if you can't find any good resources online


I've been meditating 3-4 times a week because I've heard it helps. Its made me more calm, but I still have jitters when taking PTs :oops:
Last edited by letslsat on Sun May 28, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sprout

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby Sprout » Sun May 28, 2017 12:15 am

OP try to make it a daily practice even if it is only for 5-10 minutes morning or night. Also what platopus said is TCR. Before each section, close your eyes if you have to, take a few deep belly breaths through the nose, hold the count/breath for 2-4 seconds, and blow it out through your mouth like through a straw. It recovers your heart rate and tricks your brain into settling down. I would've died in the MPRE (literally fallen out of my chair) if I hadn't done this over and over again (and that test isn't even supposed to be hard) so trust me I get it. Practice. Your breath is your rock. Time doesn't move as quickly as it seems, esp during an exam. Encounter something you don't know? --> Breath, pick something, mark it, move on. Another breath -- next question. You got this.

eta: the LSAT is not the end of the world. You can take it over worst case scenario. That helps me personally when applicable. Even if it went as badly as humanly possible, it is okay. It isn't the end all be all. Remind yourself of that if it is helpful for you.

letslsat

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Test anxiety?

Postby letslsat » Sun May 28, 2017 1:08 am

Sprout wrote:OP try to make it a daily practice even if it is only for 5-10 minutes morning or night. Also what platopus said is TCR. Before each section, close your eyes if you have to, take a few deep belly breaths through the nose, hold the count/breath for 2-4 seconds, and blow it out through your mouth like through a straw. It recovers your heart rate and tricks your brain into settling down. I would've died in the MPRE (literally fallen out of my chair) if I hadn't done this over and over again (and that test isn't even supposed to be hard) so trust me I get it. Practice. Your breath is your rock. Time doesn't move as quickly as it seems, esp during an exam. Encounter something you don't know? --> Breath, pick something, mark it, move on. Another breath -- next question. You got this.

eta: the LSAT is not the end of the world. You can take it over worst case scenario. That helps me personally when applicable. Even if it went as badly as humanly possible, it is okay. It isn't the end all be all. Remind yourself of that if it is helpful for you.


Thank you, Sprout! I will work on my breathing and mindset :D

Appreciate the detailed breakdown!



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests