Questions about using older exams vs reusing exams Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
studyingalot

New

Questions about using older exams vs reusing exams

Post by studyingalot » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm

I am currently preparing for my third sitting of the LSAT. I did well but below my potential the first time, and had to cancel my score the second time. In my preparation for the other two sittings, I used slightly fewer than 20 practice tests before each one. I used the most recent tests I could (42-79). Now that I am attempting to prepare for the third and final time, I’m working out a book with LSATS 29-38. I’m using these older exams because I’m afraid I’ll remember the questions from exams I’ve taken and not actually learn from them. Is this reasonable? (I realized that these exams don’t have comparative reading sections so I do plan to look at a couple of tests I’ve taken to relearn that part.)

My main concern is that although my scaled scores are above my prior score, my raw scores are significantly lower than what I got in my previous attempts. Basically, even though I usually get more than 11 questions wrong, I still get in the 170s. When evaluating my progress, should I consider my raw scores or my scaled scores? If I get a bunch of 170s in practice with -12 raw scores, am I more likely to recreate the 170s or the raw scores on test day? Should I just work out of a new set of exams even if I’ve already taken them? As I wrote this post it did seem kind of absurd to think I’d remember test questions from almost a year ago.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this issue. All advice welcome. Thanks a lot.

Larrymitchell808

New

Re: Questions about using older exams vs reusing exams

Post by Larrymitchell808 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 pm

I had gone thru almost every PT there is and the later ones twice, I can say that you probably won't remember 90% of the questions if not more from the tests you took a year ago. Even if you vaguely recall the question you won't be jumping to remember "oh it's answer choice C". Just make sure you don't have markings on the previous tests u took, or just order another bool for $20.

In regard to scoring higher on earlier exams, the logical reasoning is pretty much the same. -2 on a LR from test 38 would be about the same in test 75, the only difference, as you mentioned, is the reading comp, they have seemed to get harder in the later tests. As mentioned, you probably won't remember the answers even if the passage seems familiar.

Hope this helps.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I would do both.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Redoing problems is a great learning tool.

And yes, do both

MaryKayConvention

New

Post by MaryKayConvention » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm

I vote for taking new tests, even if they're older. The old tests are a bit different (e.g. they use circle diagrams for games???) but you never know, the new test could throw in something totally new and different and at least you'll be prepared with a flexible mindset.

Also, explanations for tests (even very old tests) available here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewt ... 519#p35519

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”