[POLL] How many years before most T-14 schools start accepting the GRE? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How many years before most T-14 schools start accepting the GRE?

1-2
24%
3-5
42%
5+
33%

Total votes: 45

HYPSM

Bronze

[POLL] How many years before most T-14 schools start accepting the GRE?

Post by HYPSM » Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 am

In your opinion, how many years will it take for most T-14 schools to accept the GRE?
Last edited by HYPSM on Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcat4life87

New

Re: [POLL] How many years before most T-14 schools start accepting the GRE?

Post by mcat4life87 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Are you thinking about waiting to apply until they all accept GRE? Are you doing better on GRE than LSAT?

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Sun May 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Personally I wish the GRE won't be a thing, simply because the two tests are just different. That said, 3 to 5 years most likely.

One (purely conjectural) support against the immediate adoption of GRE is the sheer magnitude of H's lay prestige, something that even Y or S doesn't have. H's name recognition will likely attract many applicants whose main goal is not the JD per se. If Cornell Law, Michigan Law, or Northwestern Law attempts to do this, they may attract more applicants, but not necessarily to the point where the benefits (more applicants, diversity, etc) outweigh the costs (yields, bar exam passing rates, etc).

One thing though: I'm definitely more open to law schools accepting MCAT instead of GRE. That test is just insane.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm

My view is that once Harvard gets this rolling next year, the other top schools will jump on board as fast as possible. How does it benefit them to lose more applicants/ students to Harvard?
Last edited by Npret on Sun May 21, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun May 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Npret wrote:My view is that once Harvard gets this rolling next yea, the other top schools will jump on board as fast as possible. How does it benefit them to lose more applicants/ students to Harvard?
But they won't unless Harvard increases their class sizes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 5:33 pm

stego wrote:
Npret wrote:My view is that once Harvard gets this rolling next yea, the other top schools will jump on board as fast as possible. How does it benefit them to lose more applicants/ students to Harvard?
Harvard will be admitting students the other schools can't access in the applicant pool. I didn't mean class size. Sorry if I was unclear.

Also Harvard's yield should outpace the other schools just by increasing applicants. Who knows Harvards GPA and LSATs might rise if the GRE works out and Harvard can balance lower GPA LSAT takers with higher GPA GRE takers. Plus with Harvard admitting juniors with a GRE who agree to defer for two years, they can start building their class 2 years out.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Npret wrote:
stego wrote:
Harvard will be admitting students the other schools can't access in the applicant pool. I didn't mean class size. Sorry if I was unclear.

Also Harvard's yield should outpace the other schools just by increasing applicants. Who knows Harvards GPA and LSATs might rise if the GRE works out and Harvard can balance lower GPA LSAT takers with higher GPA GRE takers. Plus with Harvard admitting juniors with a GRE who agree to defer for two years, they can start building their class 2 years out.
To apply to H with just a GRE next year, you'd have to be HLS or bust. I don't disagree that this will encourage other schools to jump on board, but I can't imagine there are going to be a significantly large number of applicants who are both good enough applicants to be accepted to HLS and who are willing to only apply to HLS and nowhere else (in addition to the risk/unknowns of applying with only a GRE and no LSAT). Maybe though.

I'm pretty sure that both the GRE and the Junior deferral program are a reaction to HLS's LSAT median dropping by a point. They're trying to save the LSAT median without sacrificing their GPA 25/50/75.
Yes I know that you would have to be HLS or bust. My thought is that so many people take the GRE that a reasonable number of high scorers may at at least apply to the law school because they can. If you are considering waiting a year anyway, I don't see this as a terrible plan.

So many people are enamored with Harvard (as we've seen time and time again on the forum with people turning down Ruby's for sticker at HLS) that if it's their dream school or they want to do some double degree, I think they might as well give it a shot. If they don't get accepted they can study and take the LSAT for the next admissions cycle.

I don't know how much longer LSAT medians will be relevant once the GRE is reported, but I can see this potentially raising HLS median next year. The problem is their class is so huge. Also, they are going to have to report the GRE median and USNews has some way to equate them, so it isn't as if the GRE scores just disappear from evaluation.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sun May 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”