Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cvo1

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby cvo1 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:38 pm

Hey everyone! I was planning on taking the June LSAT, but decided to push back to September because I've had a pretty hard time balancing full-time work and studying. I planned a trip to Japan a while ago (before I even started studying for the LSAT), and I'd be coming back a week before the September LSAT. Would it be a bad idea to take the September exam? I'd be in Japan from September 2-9, and the test is on September 16. I plan on taking September 11-15 off from work to rest and prep some more. I'm concerned because I'm not sure if the December LSAT is viable for Fall 2018 applications for T14 schools. Thanks!

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm interpreting 'Fall 2018 applications' to mean that you'll apply this fall (2017) to attend next year. In that case, there's an advantage to taking the September test over the December one IF you are confident that you're ready.

Whether it's a good idea to take after the trip is really going to depend on you and your test taking style/confidence. Some people would be fine doing this. It would be more difficult for others.

In my personal opinion, you should take the September test. Good luck!

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby Platopus » Mon May 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

cvo1

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby cvo1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 pm

bigflaw_ruleofjaw wrote:I'm interpreting 'Fall 2018 applications' to mean that you'll apply this fall (2017) to attend next year. In that case, there's an advantage to taking the September test over the December one IF you are confident that you're ready.

Whether it's a good idea to take after the trip is really going to depend on you and your test taking style/confidence. Some people would be fine doing this. It would be more difficult for others.

Yup, I want to start my applications during fall of this year. Sounds like taking the December exam wouldn't be ideal then?

cvo1

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby cvo1 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Platopus wrote:Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

Thanks! I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a relaxing trip that'll refresh my head after months of burning myself out on this darn exam!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pm

cvo1 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

Thanks! I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a relaxing trip that'll refresh my head after months of burning myself out on this darn exam!


I would caution you on not doing anything LSAT wise while on vacation. Even if its some review, drilling questions by type or doing a couple games I think its pretty important to do something LSAT related every day.

cvo1

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby cvo1 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
cvo1 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

Thanks! I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a relaxing trip that'll refresh my head after months of burning myself out on this darn exam!


I would caution you on not doing anything LSAT wise while on vacation. Even if its some review, drilling questions by type or doing a couple games I think its pretty important to do something LSAT related every day.

Good point! I'm going to print out a whole folder of drills, etc. so I can get some good practice in every night and during my flights.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby KMart » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 am

cvo1 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
cvo1 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

Thanks! I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a relaxing trip that'll refresh my head after months of burning myself out on this darn exam!


I would caution you on not doing anything LSAT wise while on vacation. Even if its some review, drilling questions by type or doing a couple games I think its pretty important to do something LSAT related every day.

Good point! I'm going to print out a whole folder of drills, etc. so I can get some good practice in every night and during my flights.

there's also value in tapering off before the LSAT to ensure your stamina is there and you're fresh for the actual exam.

User avatar
WinterComing

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby WinterComing » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 am

KMart wrote:
cvo1 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
cvo1 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Echo everything above. It's really going to come down to how well you're doing in late August. Having taken off work, you should have enough time to get back in the grove with a couple of PT's. If you're doing well, it's not all going to go to shit in a week. Have fun in Japan!

Thanks! I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a relaxing trip that'll refresh my head after months of burning myself out on this darn exam!


I would caution you on not doing anything LSAT wise while on vacation. Even if its some review, drilling questions by type or doing a couple games I think its pretty important to do something LSAT related every day.

Good point! I'm going to print out a whole folder of drills, etc. so I can get some good practice in every night and during my flights.

there's also value in tapering off before the LSAT to ensure your stamina is there and you're fresh for the actual exam.


I know the above posters are well intentioned, but seriously don't waste your trip to Japan doing LSAT drills. If you're that worried about the test, cancel your trip. If you're going to invest the time and money in going to Japan, just enjoy yourself. It's certainly possible to do well on the exam without ruining your vacation by studying the whole time.

galadriel3019

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: Bad idea to take the LSAT a week after a trip?

Postby galadriel3019 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:53 am

You may find that a few days away really helps clear your head and re-energize you in a helpful way. The one thing I would be wary about is jet lag recovery.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests