No clue how to start studying

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sanghyunp2004

New

No clue how to start studying

Postby sanghyunp2004 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently planning on taking the Sep 2017 test.

I scored a 161 on the 2007 diagnostic (the free one online). I missed a total of 4 on the LR/LG however the bulk of my points I missed came from RC.

Honestly I don't know how to start studying for this. I'll be enrolling in a prep academy because my parents would go crazy if I didn't. But, I wanted to know how to study separately on the side. I'm willing to study 4-5 hours a day for the next three months and I'm shooting for a 175+, since my GPA is sort of on the low side.

I've read guides and all that but its sort of overwhelming and I don't know which guides are trustable and which aren't. I know that my LR/LC scores are pretty good for a diagnostic but honestly I think its some sort of fluke and I want to start with the basics and work my way up. Any pointers and advice to shoot me in the right direction would be highly appreciated! (Especially with an emphasis of RC).

Paul Revere

New

Re: No clue how to start studying

Postby Paul Revere » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

RC was probably my most inconsistent section, so I get the challenge. But I did see overall improvement after reading the Powerscore RC Bible and learning to identify and mark key components of a passage. You also improve as you become accustomed to the various types of questions. You have time, and it sounds like you have motivation, so put in the practice and I bet you reach your goal. Good luck!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I doubt taking a course will really help you if you are already scoring a 161. I took one and it helped me get to about 160, but after that I learned mostly by repetitive practice. I recommend getting that Manhattan RC and LR books, the Powerscore LG Bible, and using the 7sage LG videos and Manhattan forum to study. However, you will mainly be using other preptests to study with. There is nothing better to learn from than actual tests.

I would also come up with a study plan that fits your schedule, allows you to achieve your target score, and doesn't burn you out.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Don't shoot for a 175. Above ~171 it's just too random to put your mind in that bind. You'll likely plateau somewhere in the high 160s/low 170s and it will wear on you mentally. Just shoot for the best you can do on the day you're taking the test. Get questions right and attack deficiencies. Having an arbitrary goal, especially one that is at the whim of the random nature of LSAT in the 170s, will likely do more harm than good in the long run.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 6:44 pm

AJordan wrote:Don't shoot for a 175. Above ~171 it's just too random to put your mind in that bind. You'll likely plateau somewhere in the high 160s/low 170s and it will wear on you mentally. Just shoot for the best you can do on the day you're taking the test. Get questions right and attack deficiencies. Having an arbitrary goal, especially one that is at the whim of the random nature of LSAT in the 170s, will likely do more harm than good in the long run.

I strongly disagree with this advice. Are you seriously saying that the difference between a 171 and a 177 is random? On some curves that could be 6-8 questions. And how is having a goal of 175 arbitrary? People aim for a 175 precisely because it is above almost every school's 75th LSAT percentile (barring Yale some years). I agree OP shouldn't worry too much about the score, and should just work on getting questions right and approaching the test logically. But this test is not random. Sure, maybe 177-180 is a bit of luck regarding if you score a 177 one day and a 179 the next, but scoring in the 177-180 range instead of the 171-174, or even the 168-171 range is not luck.

OP: Aim for 180, seriously, why would you aim for anything less?

sanghyunp2004

New

Postby sanghyunp2004 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I understand what Ajordan is coming from I guess, to not stress too much about it.

You're right I'll aim for 180 and try my hardest but I guess the key is to take it slowly and not get discouraged.

I bought all the powerscore books and all the old tests and I'll start the grind coming monday. Thank you for your help everyone!

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat May 13, 2017 4:55 pm

sanghyunp2004 wrote:I understand what Ajordan is coming from I guess, to not stress too much about it.

You're right I'll aim for 180 and try my hardest but I guess the key is to take it slowly and not get discouraged.

I bought all the powerscore books and all the old tests and I'll start the grind coming monday. Thank you for your help everyone!

No, he/she definitely has a point. Your goal should be to get all the questions right, and your focus should be on eliminating weakness, fortifying strengths and understanding the test. That said, I would strongly caution you against thinking that once you hit 170 the test is largely a matter of luck. Breaking a plateau is about realizing that this test is NOT about luck.

That said, check out some of the stickied guides in this sub-thread, there is a lot of valuable information in terms of what you should be doing and when.
Hope it helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�