To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby tuna_wasabi » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 am

Hi all, would really appreciate your input :D

With a little over a month to go, I'm starting to wonder if it is be better for me to postpone my June test to September. So far I have taken 14 PT's (all from PT 52 onwards), and the result varies from 168 to 177.
Average:
Score: 173.5
LR mistakes (combined): -4.5
LG: -1
RC: -2.4

I noticed less fluctuations in my most recent PTs: 173, 175, 175, 174 (with 1 circling error), and 173 (also with 1 circling error). That said, the recent RC makes me sweat bullets (went -7 for PT 73). While I feel that my grasp of LR is getting stronger, it is still not there yet--a hard section will definitely make me sweat bullets.

My aim is 175+, so, yeah, hoping to consistently score 177+ to give me the 2-point buffer for test day anxiety. If I do take the September test, I have around 12 recent PTs left to do, and PTs 42-51.
Last edited by tuna_wasabi on Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 am

I would take the test. You have nothing to lose by doing a retake. If you don't hit your score you're still likely to score 168+ and that's respectable and if you retake it in September you can go in with better nerves and still make early apps. FWIW I performed right on the money when I took it, and if you can do that and get a 172 you're fine to apply and retake. Also, you never know, you may get a mythical 177. You're in that land now.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby Alexandros » Tue May 09, 2017 1:37 am

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:I would take the test. You have nothing to lose by doing a retake. If you don't hit your score you're still likely to score 168+ and that's respectable and if you retake it in September you can go in with better nerves and still make early apps. FWIW I performed right on the money when I took it, and if you can do that and get a 172 you're fine to apply and retake. Also, you never know, you may get a mythical 177. You're in that land now.

+1

Usually recommend postponing, but I'd just take it. Your odds of hitting 175+ seem sufficiently high. If you don't make it, you have the summer to study for the retake. (If this is you have no retakes left or something, that changes the calculation slightly.)

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby Platopus » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm almost at the exact same point as you in terms of range, averages, and goal score. I'll be sitting for June. If it's your first take, definitely sit. You are very close to your goal. Waiting another 3 months and 2-3 points on your PT average is risky. You risk burnout and running out of material. There's a month left, so figure 3 weeks left of any meaningful improvement, and it's possible. We're talking 1-2 points here, that 1-2 questions at this point. If you hit a 173, it's not the end of the world. You'll still have plenty of time after June to study for September.

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks a lot all for your input! I'm still concerned about RC--will focus on this for the June test. Just worried since I've heard people getting 175+ average on their PT's and bombing the actual test.

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri May 12, 2017 2:12 pm

I strongly believe that the key to unlocking RC is mastering LR

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby uion1715 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:16 pm

How about for someone who is on their third try? (Case for me)

Similar score, down to the breakdown, got 167/166 on my first and second try but that was well before a lot of prepping.

Would have to sit out this cycle if I don't get a good score (thinking 170+).

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby Platopus » Sun May 14, 2017 12:18 am

uion1715 wrote:How about for someone who is on their third try? (Case for me)

Similar score, down to the breakdown, got 167/166 on my first and second try but that was well before a lot of prepping.

Would have to sit out this cycle if I don't get a good score (thinking 170+).


How much prepping have you done for June? If you're not at your target score for your PT's, wait til September.

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby uion1715 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Platopus wrote:
uion1715 wrote:How about for someone who is on their third try? (Case for me)

Similar score, down to the breakdown, got 167/166 on my first and second try but that was well before a lot of prepping.

Would have to sit out this cycle if I don't get a good score (thinking 170+).


How much prepping have you done for June? If you're not at your target score for your PT's, wait til September.


Took about 10 PT so far. Trying to squeeze in 5-10 more. My target score is 174/175, and I have been hitting this range consistently but not always (I would say I scored 174+ about 50/60% of the times).

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby Platopus » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

uion1715 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
uion1715 wrote:How about for someone who is on their third try? (Case for me)

Similar score, down to the breakdown, got 167/166 on my first and second try but that was well before a lot of prepping.

Would have to sit out this cycle if I don't get a good score (thinking 170+).


How much prepping have you done for June? If you're not at your target score for your PT's, wait til September.


Took about 10 PT so far. Trying to squeeze in 5-10 more. My target score is 174/175, and I have been hitting this range consistently but not always (I would say I scored 174+ about 50/60% of the times).


General advice is to take when your AVERAGE is at 174, so if you hit between 173-175 regularly, you're good. If you hit 174 60% of the time, but 168 40% that's an issue. What was your PT AVERAGE before these last 2 tests?

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby dm1683 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Lol you and I have almost the exact same stats. 173.5 average (although mine is over 9 PTs) and around -3 RC. Only difference is my LG average is a point higher and LR combined is a point lower. You're killing it my friend.

I would go for it. Don't you have a 4.0 anyway? You dont need a 175 unless you want Yale. Hit that average and you are looking at Harvard/Stanford vs serious $$$ at CCN.

uion1715

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 am

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby uion1715 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Platopus wrote:
uion1715 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
uion1715 wrote:How about for someone who is on their third try? (Case for me)

Similar score, down to the breakdown, got 167/166 on my first and second try but that was well before a lot of prepping.

Would have to sit out this cycle if I don't get a good score (thinking 170+).


How much prepping have you done for June? If you're not at your target score for your PT's, wait til September.


Took about 10 PT so far. Trying to squeeze in 5-10 more. My target score is 174/175, and I have been hitting this range consistently but not always (I would say I scored 174+ about 50/60% of the times).


General advice is to take when your AVERAGE is at 174, so if you hit between 173-175 regularly, you're good. If you hit 174 60% of the time, but 168 40% that's an issue. What was your PT AVERAGE before these last 2 tests?


Foolishly took those tests before much prepping, but it hovered around 167-170 range so I hit the lower end of my range.

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: To postpone or to just bite the bullet?

Postby tuna_wasabi » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

dm1683 wrote:Lol you and I have almost the exact same stats. 173.5 average (although mine is over 9 PTs) and around -3 RC. Only difference is my LG average is a point higher and LR combined is a point lower. You're killing it my friend.

I would go for it. Don't you have a 4.0 anyway? You dont need a 175 unless you want Yale. Hit that average and you are looking at Harvard/Stanford vs serious $$$ at CCN.


Are you referring to me? My GPA depends on whether it is converted to the LSAC GPA. Are you taking it in June as well?



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scherbatsky and 16 guests