Testmasters or LSATMax

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
YellowWolf

New

Testmasters or LSATMax

Postby YellowWolf » Sat May 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Looking at getting access to the online courses offered by Testmasters and LSATMax. Has anyone completed these? Thoughts? Is it worth it?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Re: Testmasters or LSATMax

Postby Po$eidon » Sat May 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Any reason you're not considering powerscore?

YellowWolf

New

Postby YellowWolf » Sat May 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Po$eidon wrote:Any reason you're not considering powerscore?

I just went through the bibles. Heard from 2 or 3 sources that the online material is similar. I am looking for some fresh perspective and new tricks that maybe aren't covered in powerscore.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Postby Po$eidon » Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am

YellowWolf wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:Any reason you're not considering powerscore?

I just went through the bibles. Heard from 2 or 3 sources that the online material is similar. I am looking for some fresh perspective and new tricks that maybe aren't covered in powerscore.

Instructors usually present the information in fresh ways and I will say that swapping methodologies is usually not advisable unless the original methodology one used is crap. Also, Testmasters and Powerscore are very similar (except for the fact that Testmasters has an inferior games approach)

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sun May 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I tend to disagree about multiple approaches for people aiming for a high score. The different methodologies are oftenly so similar that it's not a huge deal, IMO. For newer games, I think the flexibility of being able to use different methods helps, but that's a purely subjective opinion on my end.

I agree that PowerScore is better in LG, but, from what I recall, Testmasters touches on some important ideas for odd games that, from what I recall, PS does not really delve into all that much. That said, Testmasters does not go into much detail about logically equivalent answers or variables, but they are mentioned enough for one to be cognizant of.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Postby Po$eidon » Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 pm

The problem with spending extensive amounts of time on rare games is that by their very nature rare games are unique. Only a few rare games are similar enough that it is helpful (and usually they're only possessing a passing similarity) to know another rare game well. One should experience a few rare games prior to testing to prepare oneself for the experience of a rare game but doing so will almost always only prepare one in the very general skills rare games test: flexibility, responsiveness, and an ability to see patterns and inferences.

Also, OP has never had any instructor. Even given similar material, a taught course is so much better than self-study (as long as the instructor is at least mediocre) that all material from any test prep company will feel slightly new.

I just think OP should throw Powerscore into the consideration pile. They are quite good

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sun May 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I bow before 7sage, whose video explanations are responsable for my -1 on logic games. Try it out.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 12:40 am

I'd disagree with the point on any taught class (even meeting the standard of an at least mediocre instructor) being better than self-study. Personally, I did a class, but it was largely for a social pressure that I felt would help motivate me. Beyond that, I think my time would have been more productively used through self-study, and I think that would remain true for many high scorers. One can better allocate time to their own weaknesses than a class to teach several people can. Also, I think the biggest weakness of taught classes is that they can pressure you to take the test even if you aren't ready.

That said, I think your overall point on rare and weird games is fair. One thing is that I think one would be better benefited by really dissecting a weird game and figuring it out then to master that 20th sequencing game that's basically the same as the other 19. To me, the only truly weird games are pattern games (boys-girls dancing RST and clan cycle NOPST(?)) and operation games (sentence of nonsense, flasks, swapping) and the building game. Most of the other "weird" games are mapping and circular sequencing which are strictly grouping and sequencing games but have some rules that are easier to visualize on a diagram representing the physical space. I think the truly weird games, if you really dive into them, can teach you a lot about logically equivalent variables/answer choices which I think is super beneficial for all games.

sorry - I'm tired, and that may not have been entirely coherent.

acr440

New

Postby acr440 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I bow before 7sage, whose video explanations are responsable for my -1 on logic games. Try it out.

Which 7Sage package do you recommend? The 700$ one ?

tanes25

New

Postby tanes25 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:53 am

acr440 wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:I bow before 7sage, whose video explanations are responsable for my -1 on logic games. Try it out.

If you're only looking for LG all games are free with 7Sage. You can go to their website or Youtube. If you're looking for the whole pkg watch the LG videos for a sense of the teaching style to see if you like it. They also offer a 14 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. You don't have to purchase the highest pkg, IMO. If you have access to all the PT I would say it isn't necessary because all pkgs contain the same core curriculum and you can post any questions on their forum or Manhattan or wherever. You can also look at Manhattan and similar sites for explanations. The higher pkgs offer video explanations for all questions, printable PT and the harder questions for the drills throughout the course. If you do not have access to all PT the higher pkgs would be your best bet because it'll probably cost a small fortune to purchase them all separately. You can also start off with the smaller pkg and upgrade if you feel the need. Also, with the higher pkgs you can print the LG bundle. Lots of ppl dig the printable LG pkg and access to all video explanations. It's really personal preference. Overall, I would go with 7Sage. I haven't had experience with those you're inquiring about though.

acr440

New

Postby acr440 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm

tanes25 wrote:
acr440 wrote:

If you're only looking for LG all games are free with 7Sage. You can go to their website or Youtube. If you're looking for the whole pkg watch the LG videos for a sense of the teaching style to see if you like it. They also offer a 14 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. You don't have to purchase the highest pkg, IMO. If you have access to all the PT I would say it isn't necessary because all pkgs contain the same core curriculum and you can post any questions on their forum or Manhattan or wherever. You can also look at Manhattan and similar sites for explanations. The higher pkgs offer video explanations for all questions, printable PT and the harder questions for the drills throughout the course. If you do not have access to all PT the higher pkgs would be your best bet because it'll probably cost a small fortune to purchase them all separately. You can also start off with the smaller pkg and upgrade if you feel the need. Also, with the higher pkgs you can print the LG bundle. Lots of ppl dig the printable LG pkg and access to all video explanations. It's really personal preference. Overall, I would go with 7Sage. I haven't had experience with those you're inquiring about though.

Thank you for this--very helpful.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 pm

acr440 wrote:

I just did the games then watched the free videos on youtube. I developed my general technique from Powerscore, then kind of modified it through watching the 7sage videos. It's the best way to master games, imho.

acr440

New

Postby acr440 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
acr440 wrote:

I just did the games then watched the free videos on youtube. I developed my general technique from Powerscore, then kind of modified it through watching the 7sage videos. It's the best way to master games, imho.

Nice, thanks. Personally, I may just purchase the cheapest package to try it out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�