Appropriate goal score?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
littlelibertine

Bronze

Appropriate goal score?

Postby littlelibertine » Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Hey, everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. I took my first preptest without study today and scored a 166: LG -5, LR -5 -3, RC -3.

I've got the PS bibles, Kaplan Mastery for LG & LR, and as many preptests as I can take. What's an achievable target score for me considering I'd like to take the test in September or December? I work full- time but plan to study 6-10 hours a week.
Last edited by littlelibertine on Sun May 07, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Re: Appropriate goal score?

Postby oopsu812 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

VeiledProtectorate

New

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

littlelibertine wrote:Hey, everyone. Long time listener, first time called. I took my first preptest without study today and scored a 166: LG -5, LR -5 -3, RC -3.

I've got the PS bibles, Kaplan Mastery for LG & LR, and as many preptests as I can take. What's an achievable target score for me considering I'd like to take the test in September or December? I work full- time but plan to study 6-10 hours a week.

Was this strictly timed and under test conditions? If so, this is an excellent diagnostic. Your goal should always be 180. For reference, my cold diagnostic was a 162 and I ended up with a 178.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't believe anyone who says their diagnostic was over 165 but if its true then shoot for 180.

VeiledProtectorate

New

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:I don't believe anyone who says their diagnostic was over 165 but if its true then shoot for 180.

Agreed. I always question how strictly people are timing these.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm

40 minute sections. I was at work and haven't slept super well in a few days, so I gave myself a little wiggle room.

VeiledProtectorate

New

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm

littlelibertine wrote:40 minute sections. I was at work and haven't slept super well in a few days, so I gave myself a little wiggle room.

You'd be surprised how much difference "a little wiggle room" can make. Regardless, your goal should be 180.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 pm

littlelibertine wrote:40 minute sections. I was at work and haven't slept super well in a few days, so I gave myself a little wiggle room.

Cheatin' a bit, but still a pretty solid score. Goal score should definitely be 180. I don't know why you would try to hit anything less. Maybe more to your point, you should be happy w/ a 175+, since above 175 is pretty negligible for any admissions purposes and is certainly within reach. Less than 172 and you definitely under performed.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Platopus wrote:

Cheatin' a bit, but still a pretty solid score. Goal score should definitely be 180. I don't know why you would try to hit anything less. Maybe more to your point, you should be happy w/ a 175+, since above 175 is pretty negligible for any admissions purposes and is certainly within reach. Less than 172 and you definitely under performed.

What about for financial aid purposes?

VeiledProtectorate

New

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 pm

littlelibertine wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Also pretty negligible.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue May 02, 2017 10:55 pm

littlelibertine wrote:
Platopus wrote:

No, not really. Once you hit 175, you're above or at every school's 75 percentile. However, there is certainly a difference between a 172 and a 175, but just not really a 175 and a 178.

http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

The above is a link to an aggregate of self-reported data from the last several years. It's not perfect, but it's useful to get a fairly accurate indication of your chances at any given school. Play around and see what score you need to hit, bottom-line, to achieve your goals. But always be aiming for 180.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Wed May 03, 2017 1:39 am

As somebody who had a high diagnostic score, I seriously advocate that you retest under strict conditions and make sure it is a test that is at least PT50 + (I would do 60+ to be sure). I let a high score lull me into laziness for far too long, and I think taking an average of 3-5 tests early on would have saved me from doing so. I wouldn't worry much if you had a low diagnostic, but such a high disgnostic should be met with a high degree of caution. If you gave me +5 minutes on each section, I would go into the LSAT expecting a 175+, which I couldn't say now.

At the end of the day, any deviation from the LSAT rules for purposes other than learning the test material will only hurt you. It is 35 minutes per section on test day unless you have an accommodation, sleep or no sleep. That said, if timing is your biggest hurdle, then you're sitting pretty and should aim very high.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 am

Just shoot for 180 and don't worry about it.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 am

zkyggi wrote:

As somebody who had a high diagnostic score, I seriously advocate that you retest under strict conditions and make sure it is a test that is at least PT50 + (I would do 60+ to be sure). I let a high score lull me into laziness for far too long, and I think taking an average of 3-5 tests early on would have saved me from doing so. I wouldn't worry much if you had a low diagnostic, but such a high disgnostic should be met with a high degree of caution. If you gave me +5 minutes on each section, I would go into the LSAT expecting a 175+, which I couldn't say now.

At the end of the day, any deviation from the LSAT rules for purposes other than learning the test material will only hurt you. It is 35 minutes per section on test day unless you have an accommodation, sleep or no sleep. That said, if timing is your biggest hurdle, then you're sitting pretty and should aim very high.

Thank you for this recommendation. I took the diagnostic mostly to have a benchmark to set myself against in the future and to assuage some of my own insecurities. I've worked out (and am following) a study plan that includes 6-10 hours of study per week until September or December (depending on when I'm hitting my goals consistently) and don't intend to let one relatively high score with extra time on each section make me overconfident. I wanted to know whether or not shooting for a 180 with study was a reasonable goal. I think it is.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 am

Diagnostic + 20 points so 186. 180 is max so 180 for you.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed May 03, 2017 10:31 am

Even if you gave yourself 5 extra mins, that is still a pretty good diagnostic for not having any studying done!

For you, honestly just aim for a 180. Depending on your GPA and goal schools you can honestly get away with something 173+. Aim for the highest you can though!!

Impressionist

Bronze

Postby Impressionist » Thu May 04, 2017 12:09 am

I'm in a very similar situation. Same material, working full time, and got a 164 on my first PT to start this study cycle (while I used 35min sections and experimental, it wasn't a true diagnostic since I skimmed the bibles months ago). Plan on putting about 15h of work in per week.

Personally I doesn't make sense to me to aim for a 175, or something like that. Considering how "learnable" this test is, I don't see any reason to aim for anything other than a 180. Plus, underscoring on test day is a thing. If I score 4-5 points under my average on test day, I want that score to still be a 175-176.

Considering the monumental impact this test will have on what law school you get into and at what cost, which itself will set you on the path your life will take, then i don't think you can put enough effort into this. Having said that, I'm also very cognicient of the risk of burning out and will actively work to avoid such a condition.

guyindfw

New

Postby guyindfw » Fri May 05, 2017 11:37 am

Getting +7-10 would be good from start. so 172-175.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�