Digital LSAT Administration Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Digital LSAT Administration

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

Anyone else taking the Digital LSAT administration on the 20th?

I'm taking it since they're paying us and it'll give me some more practice as I'm gearing up for the real thing in June.

My initial thoughts are that LG is going to be more time consuming due to not being able to draw next to the stim/stems, and the translation time from having to look at your paper diagram then look at the screen to eliminate answers is going to be a definite factor. Also, no idea how many questions will show up per screen, so that may make it difficult to decide which questions to attack first if you're struggling early in a game.

I don't think RC is going to be much different, except that I think personally I have a harder time focusing on reading if it's on a screen as opposed to actual paper. Overall don't expect much difference in scoring there.

As for LR, I think this will be the most difficult change - a huge part of my success in practice with LR is answer choice elimination. I have no idea how I'm going to systematically cross answers off if they're all on a screen.

Any thoughts from anyone else taking it, or other thoughts on what may be different/more/less difficult?

albanach

Gold

Re: Digital LSAT Administration

Post by albanach » Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 am

mrgstephe wrote:Anyone else taking the Digital LSAT administration on the 20th?

I'm taking it since they're paying us and it'll give me some more practice as I'm gearing up for the real thing in June.

My initial thoughts are that LG is going to be more time consuming due to not being able to draw next to the stim/stems, and the translation time from having to look at your paper diagram then look at the screen to eliminate answers is going to be a definite factor. Also, no idea how many questions will show up per screen, so that may make it difficult to decide which questions to attack first if you're struggling early in a game.

I don't think RC is going to be much different, except that I think personally I have a harder time focusing on reading if it's on a screen as opposed to actual paper. Overall don't expect much difference in scoring there.

As for LR, I think this will be the most difficult change - a huge part of my success in practice with LR is answer choice elimination. I have no idea how I'm going to systematically cross answers off if they're all on a screen.

Any thoughts from anyone else taking it, or other thoughts on what may be different/more/less difficult?
Doesn't most online test software allow you to cross out answer choices? I think my biggest frustration would be that an entire RC passage won't fit easily on a screen (or will be really wide which slows down reading).

Do you still only get a sheet of scratch paper?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am

My biggest concern was actually with RC. You have to reference back to the passages quite a bit, swiping to go from one screen to another and then scrolling to find your place in the passage seems like it could be a real pain in the ass. LG I'm not that worried about, I use scratch paper for my diagrams a lot anyway so I'm used to it.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 am

albanach wrote:
Doesn't most online test software allow you to cross out answer choices? I think my biggest frustration would be that an entire RC passage won't fit easily on a screen (or will be really wide which slows down reading).

Do you still only get a sheet of scratch paper?
So my assumption from what I read is that this thing is going to be administered via tablet/Ipad rather than the usual desktop mouse/keyboard setup for other standardized tests. Not sure how the whole touch screen deal would work with crossing out answers.

For RC, I was expecting to have the tablet held sideways, and have the left side of it be dedicated to the passage, while the right side has the questions/answers.

I believe the official terminology in the instructions said we will have access to scratch paper with no indication of how much/how little.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Is this means people get their scores back RIGHT after the test like other major tests, then I'm all for this. Otherwise, I feel that this is a ploy to save printing money, stolen/lost copies, and prevent cheating. Any other reasons why they would do this? Maybe to prevent misbubbling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Is this means people get their scores back RIGHT after the test like other major tests, then I'm all for this. Otherwise, I feel that this is a ploy to save printing money, stolen/lost copies, and prevent cheating. Any other reasons why they would do this? Maybe to prevent misbubbling.
hopefully it lowers the fee for the test itself with the saved costs.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Is this means people get their scores back RIGHT after the test like other major tests, then I'm all for this. Otherwise, I feel that this is a ploy to save printing money, stolen/lost copies, and prevent cheating. Any other reasons why they would do this? Maybe to prevent misbubbling.
I believe the stated goals are to eventually increase accessibility for the test (i.e. allow people to take it when they want) and to modernize it as basically every other test out there has.

My personal opinion is they are worried that the GRE will take over as king for law school admissions due to H allowing it. If more schools follow suit, the GRE will be the test of choice for students due to its availability.

Also, for the upcoming digital administration, they said max of 6 weeks wait to get score report back. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to score it for us immediately, but that's what they said.

This administration will not be curved, but we will get raw score correct/incorrect feedback

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 pm

mrgstephe wrote: Also, for the upcoming digital administration, they said max of 6 weeks wait to get score report back. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to score it for us immediately, but that's what they said.
My guess is they want to sort out the data first. I'm taking it on the 20th too and I'm ready for a nightmare. I'm guessing they rushed to get the beta ready once they heard Harvard's GRE announcement. Personally, I'm just taking it to help relax June testing anxieties.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am

Monday wrote:Also, it's a waste of paper. I don't know what the environmental impact of the new system is (electricity, e-waste every few years etc.), though.

And of course, the most important section, the writing sample should be much easier now.
I think the writing portion may still be pencil and paper - I don't think they're giving up full up computers and keyboards (pretty sure it's just tablets, which would be hell to type on). Or we may not even have a written section on this pilot test?

As for waste of paper, I doubt that's a serious consideration - paper is super super super super recyclable. I would imagine X amount of days after the test they just send it all in for recycling anyway.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 am

mrgstephe wrote:
Monday wrote:Also, it's a waste of paper. I don't know what the environmental impact of the new system is (electricity, e-waste every few years etc.), though.

And of course, the most important section, the writing sample should be much easier now.
I think the writing portion may still be pencil and paper - I don't think they're giving up full up computers and keyboards (pretty sure it's just tablets, which would be hell to type on). Or we may not even have a written section on this pilot test?

As for waste of paper, I doubt that's a serious consideration - paper is super super super super recyclable. I would imagine X amount of days after the test they just send it all in for recycling anyway.
I feel like I saw somewhere that there is a keyboard attachment for the written section. I could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere, idk if anyone can confirm.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Platopus wrote:
mrgstephe wrote: Also, for the upcoming digital administration, they said max of 6 weeks wait to get score report back. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to score it for us immediately, but that's what they said.
My guess is they want to sort out the data first. I'm taking it on the 20th too and I'm ready for a nightmare. I'm guessing they rushed to get the beta ready once they heard Harvard's GRE announcement. Personally, I'm just taking it to help relax June testing anxieties.
How did you guys get invited to this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu May 04, 2017 10:33 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Platopus wrote:
I heard about it the day they opened the call for volunteers. There was a process on LSAC's website to apply.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Saw a reddit post the night it was closing. Saw that there was a test site near-ish to where I live, so signed up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”