How to get from scoring 170+ to consistently scoring 175+

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tuna_wasabi

Bronze

How to get from scoring 170+ to consistently scoring 175+

Postby tuna_wasabi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on how to secure a consistent score of 175+. This is how I have studied so far for the June test:
  • January to mid-March: individual timed sections for RC and LG; also did LR by categories from the Cambridge bundles (Strengthen; Weaken, Sufficient Condition, etc). Individually timed every question for LR and wrote my own explanation for all questions. I also wrote explanation for all RC questions and redid LG at least once.
  • Mid-March to June test: 7 timed sections back-to-back once every three days: 1 whole PT from PTs 52-80 and 3 experimental sections from any sections that I have not done yet. I write explanations for every LR and RC question and redo the LG twice under timed condition.

I have completed 9 7-section PTs under timed condition with a break between the third and the fourth sections. Results vary from 171 to 177. Usual breakdown is something along these lines:
  • LG: -1 to -3. Most of these were due to my running out of time or were simply very careless mistakes. I tried to be more careful, but somehow always ended making at least 1 careless mistake.
  • LR: 0 to -8 (combined). Usually finished on time but left blank a question or two that I did not manage to answer. Whenever I wrote my explanations for LR, I would also notice a few questions that I should have answered differently. There are also still some tricky questions that took me a long time to figure.
  • RC: -1 to -5. Sometimes I finished on time, but other times I barely managed, with some questions left blank. I personally find the most recent PTs trickier.

Not sure if this is related, but given my full-time work, at least half of these 7-section PTs are done after a very long day at work. There isn't much difference in terms of scores, however, between the PTs done on regular weeknights and the PTs done on weekends.

Thanks a lot!

dm1683

Silver

Re: How to get from scoring 170+ to consistently scoring 175+

Postby dm1683 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on how to secure a consistent score of 175+. This is how I have studied so far for the June test:
  • January to mid-March: individual timed sections for RC and LG; also did LR by categories from the Cambridge bundles (Strengthen; Weaken, Sufficient Condition, etc). Individually timed every question for LR and wrote my own explanation for all questions. I also wrote explanation for all RC questions and redid LG at least once.
  • Mid-March to June test: 7 timed sections back-to-back once every three days: 1 whole PT from PTs 52-80 and 3 experimental sections from any sections that I have not done yet. I write explanations for every LR and RC question and redo the LG twice under timed condition.

I have completed 9 7-section PTs under timed condition with a break between the third and the fourth sections. Results vary from 171 to 177. Usual breakdown is something along these lines:
  • LG: -1 to -3. Most of these were due to my running out of time or were simply very careless mistakes. I tried to be more careful, but somehow always ended making at least 1 careless mistake.
  • LR: 0 to -8 (combined). Usually finished on time but left blank a question or two that I did not manage to answer. Whenever I wrote my explanations for LR, I would also notice a few questions that I should have answered differently. There are also still some tricky questions that took me a long time to figure.
  • RC: -1 to -5. Sometimes I finished on time, but other times I barely managed, with some questions left blank. I personally find the most recent PTs trickier.

Not sure if this is related, but given my full-time work, at least half of these 7-section PTs are done after a very long day at work. There isn't much difference in terms of scores, however, between the PTs done on regular weeknights and the PTs done on weekends.

Thanks a lot!

There's no need to do 7-section PTs every time, especially after a full day at work. I know training for stamina is important, but I don't think you need to go to that extreme. 5 sections should be fine, with an occasional six or seven section test mixed in.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 pm

I would agree with the above that 7 section PT's are too much. I would suggest less quantity and more quality. Spend more time reviewing and very thoroughly assessing your mistakes and weakness. You have a very solid study schedule and seem to know the material very well, just keep at it and don't neglect review. Your biggest improvements will come from going -0 consistently on LG and narrowing the variability in LR scores, so that -8 (combined) gets down to -3/-4 (or less) consistently.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks guys! I will cut down the sections in my next PTs.

Platopus wrote:I would agree with the above that 7 section PT's are too much. I would suggest less quantity and more quality. Spend more time reviewing and very thoroughly assessing your mistakes and weakness. You have a very solid study schedule and seem to know the material very well, just keep at it and don't neglect review. Your biggest improvements will come from going -0 consistently on LG and narrowing the variability in LR scores, so that -8 (combined) gets down to -3/-4 (or less) consistently.

Any suggestions on how to get consistently -0 on LG? At first I sped by the easier games; was able to finish on time, but ended up making careless mistake(s). Afterwards I spend more time on the easier games in fear of making careless mistakes, and as a result have less time for the difficult ones :? Striking the balance is hard eh.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Redo every game you don't go -0 on. Also watch the 7sage vids on YouTube, as they often offer insights you wouldn't think of

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Redo every game you don't go -0 on. Also watch the 7sage vids on YouTube, as they often offer insights you wouldn't think of

Agreed, 7 sage videos should be a big help to OP.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Postby tuna_wasabi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion--will definitely check 7sage out!

I found the more recent PTs to be harder (and my scores reflect this). A bit concerned and not entirely sure how to address this issue.
PT 50s: 3 PT's varying from 176 to 177
PT 60s: PTs 62, 63, and 66, getting 173, 172, and 171, respectively
PT 70s: PTs 70, 71, and 72, getting 175, 171... and 168, respectively :(

Worst thing is, for previous PT's, when doing the blind review, I could usually spot which questions I got wrong under the timed test. For PT 72, I missed LR questions during both the timed test AND the blind review.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�