The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Ran into these in the store earlier :cry:
[+] Spoiler

RIP

<3

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
[+] Spoiler

RIP

<3

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR BELOVED TORTY-PIE

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
[+] Spoiler

RIP

<3

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR BELOVED TORTY-PIE

We will never forget. <3

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Is Duke going to be the next flavor of the month school? Find out next week on Crippling Existential Crisis: Recent College Graduate Edition

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:06 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Is Duke going to be the next flavor of the month school? Find out next week on Crippling Existential Crisis: Recent College Graduate Edition

#same
If this weather keeps up it definitely will be.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Is Duke going to be the next flavor of the month school? Find out next week on Crippling Existential Crisis: Recent College Graduate Edition

#same

They've seemed to be pretty generous to high LSATers hitting in the low to mid 100s, low CoL as well. Someone give me a named scholarship and my cycle is over k? k.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

#same

They've seemed to be pretty generous to high LSATers hitting in the low to mid 100s, low CoL as well. Someone give me a named scholarship and my cycle is over k? k.

That's good to hear. Places pretty well in the south too yeah? I like the campus if google street view is anything to go by.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

#same

That's good to hear. Places pretty well in the south too yeah? I like the campus if google street view is anything to go by.

If their instagram is a representative sample of student life I like it as well. Lors first tho, one step at a time.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm starting to get really annoyed with the University of Toronto. 35k+ a year in tuition + ridiculous COL in Toronto, for a ~90k Bay Street (BigLaw) 1st year associate salary, after a year of articling for ~60k. It just seems stupid compared to US counterparts.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I'm starting to get really annoyed with the University of Toronto. 35k+ a year in tuition + ridiculous COL in Toronto, for a ~90k Bay Street (BigLaw) 1st year associate salary, after a year of articling for ~60k. It just seems stupid compared to US counterparts.

I thought about law in America's hat for 3 seconds once, looked up salaries, and was like lol yikes nope.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Duke campus and students seem on par with my great campus and student life UG. But with better weather

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Alexandros wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'm starting to get really annoyed with the University of Toronto. 35k+ a year in tuition + ridiculous COL in Toronto, for a ~90k Bay Street (BigLaw) 1st year associate salary, after a year of articling for ~60k. It just seems stupid compared to US counterparts.

I thought about law in America's hat for 3 seconds once, looked up salaries, and was like lol yikes nope.

Canada sucks

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Canada sucks

Here's to that.

Well that escalated :(

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:Duke campus and students seem on par with my great campus and student life UG. But with better weather

You were midwest, right?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:35 pm

chargers21 wrote:Duke campus and students seem on par with my great campus and student life UG. But with better weather

Not sure about having to drive everywhere but I like the amount of green space and the thought of not having to be cooped up indoors for 7 months of the year is really appealing.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Tons of state school students at Duke's ASW, which was nice. There are lots of whispers on various threads about prestigious UG students getting the bigger scholarships when compared to state school number twins

So I've only done this with Hammies and a bit with Rubies but if you go through LSN for the past 4 years or so you can see there is an effect of UG preftige on $$$ - at least at the level of HYSP / 'top private' - not a huge one but it's there. (again, might be confounding factors like those applicants had better softs or LoRs or whatever). Also heard several claim really unprestigious UGs sank them.

I think I'm kind of in the middle there. Won't get any kind of UG prestige boost - can't really do anything about that - but hopefully won't be sunk because of my UG.

I think you're onto something with the confounding factors effect. The fact that you're HYPS alone might not get you the boost, but to the extent it provides you with more impressive opportunities and LoRs, it might do something. Still, between a 3.4 HYPS vs a 3.9 StateU, I think the StateU will carry the day 10 times out of 10. In terms of being "sunk" by UG, that takes a lot. I think if you're a Division I type state school, you have very little to worry about. If you're coming from some funky backwoods for profit online school, then yeah, I don't think even a 4.3 GPA will do much to save you.

Agree completely - but out of two applicants with identical numbers, it seems like HYPS will give better odds of a good result - Likely confounding factors at play, although I wouldn't be surprised if HYPS alone gives a slight boost.

Hard to know how much getting sunk by UG is a real thing since data is limited and adcomms don't tell you why they dinged you. But I agree that I don't think anyone at a normal state school would have to worry about that. knock on wood

You'll be good, bro.

Source: State school applicant with lower LSAT score than you.

I imagine UG institution could only sink a reverse splitter - i.e. you'll get way less weight than an Ivy reverse splitter.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm

I just want to be accepted somewhere and not be in financial ruins afterwards.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Tons of state school students at Duke's ASW, which was nice. There are lots of whispers on various threads about prestigious UG students getting the bigger scholarships when compared to state school number twins

So I've only done this with Hammies and a bit with Rubies but if you go through LSN for the past 4 years or so you can see there is an effect of UG preftige on $$$ - at least at the level of HYSP / 'top private' - not a huge one but it's there. (again, might be confounding factors like those applicants had better softs or LoRs or whatever). Also heard several claim really unprestigious UGs sank them.

I think I'm kind of in the middle there. Won't get any kind of UG prestige boost - can't really do anything about that - but hopefully won't be sunk because of my UG.

I think you're onto something with the confounding factors effect. The fact that you're HYPS alone might not get you the boost, but to the extent it provides you with more impressive opportunities and LoRs, it might do something. Still, between a 3.4 HYPS vs a 3.9 StateU, I think the StateU will carry the day 10 times out of 10. In terms of being "sunk" by UG, that takes a lot. I think if you're a Division I type state school, you have very little to worry about. If you're coming from some funky backwoods for profit online school, then yeah, I don't think even a 4.3 GPA will do much to save you.

Agree completely - but out of two applicants with identical numbers, it seems like HYPS will give better odds of a good result - Likely confounding factors at play, although I wouldn't be surprised if HYPS alone gives a slight boost.

Hard to know how much getting sunk by UG is a real thing since data is limited and adcomms don't tell you why they dinged you. But I agree that I don't think anyone at a normal state school would have to worry about that. knock on wood

You'll be good, bro.

Source: State school applicant with lower LSAT score than you.

I imagine UG institution could only sink a reverse splitter - i.e. you'll get way less weight than an Ivy reverse splitter.

There are a few people on here with very strong numbers ( 3.8x, 177+ - so not really reverse splitter) who credited under-performing their numbers to their UG. Of course it's impossible to know whether or not that was the reason.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:48 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Canada sucks

Here's to that.

Well that escalated :(

8)

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

You were midwest, right?

Oh yeah

Alexandros wrote:

Not sure about having to drive everywhere but I like the amount of green space and the thought of not having to be cooped up indoors for 7 months of the year is really appealing.

I love having the option to drive places. Plus the law students are guaranteed parking passes that I thought looked near the school but some students complained about the 5-10 minute walk

Yeah it would just be a change from living a very urban environment, not necessarily in a bad way.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:yeah i joined all of you on the drilling boat, redoing the 7sage cc will hopefully reap benefits! i'm finding that i'm focusing too much on lr, i need to somehow work in rc and lg into my schedule..

What is 7Sage CC? Also, my caffeine buzz gets me from 730-830ish to 11 pretty good for focus but after 11 I'm dead.

Sorry! I always assume everyone knows my acronyms, 7Sage CC = 7Sage curriculum

When you say 730-11 do you mean at night or in the am? I follow a bunch of fitness accounts on instagram and asked them for some advice on my diet (because I can't have caffeine around 3-4pm but I am exhausted/fatigue starts kicking in and I usually eat dark chocolate to give me an energy boost, I asked if this was ok or if they suggest something else), this guy told me to eat more whole foods and carbs throughout the day.. Just thought I would share even though I know your totally into fitness and have your own regimen down.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:yeah i joined all of you on the drilling boat, redoing the 7sage cc will hopefully reap benefits! i'm finding that i'm focusing too much on lr, i need to somehow work in rc and lg into my schedule..

What is 7Sage CC? Also, my caffeine buzz gets me from 730-830ish to 11 pretty good for focus but after 11 I'm dead.

Sorry! I always assume everyone knows my acronyms, 7Sage CC = 7Sage curriculum

When you say 730-11 do you mean at night or in the am? I follow a bunch of fitness accounts on instagram and asked them for some advice on my diet (because I can't have caffeine around 3-4pm but I am exhausted/fatigue starts kicking in and I usually eat dark chocolate to give me an energy boost, I asked if this was ok or if they suggest something else), this guy told me to eat more whole foods and carbs throughout the day.. Just thought I would share even though I know your totally into fitness and have your own regimen down.

nighttime cuz I'm a loser grandpa who works all day.

I can't do natural ways caffeine lol. The only thing that even gives me the slightest buzz is preworkout which is mostly just B12 and beta alanine; energy drinks, coffee, etc. are like water to me at this point. Your method is much easier on the heart and probably should be something I do, but I'm a lazy potato.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Oh my god I am so tired today....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?