The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

oopsu812 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I feel like I messed up because I'm now pretty sure I will not be getting rejected anywhere. Doesn't that mean I didn't apply to enough reaches?

:lol:

None of the Ivies gave me a fee waiver so I said F it and didn't apply to any but my target (still LOLing at Cornell because I was sold on them going in). Kinda sucks that I can't say that I got into an Ivy league and that no one I talk to on a regular basis has any clue whatsoever that Chicago is a bigger deal than the average TTT but I'm just a prestige whore nowadays I guess... lol

Really? I guess the name sounds state-school-ish but damn I've always held Chi in very high regard, well before LS or anything. I mean like you can go to MIT and you wouldn't be going to an Ivy, but it's fucking MIT.

FWIW, until recently I knew nothing about American law schools, and I had no idea that Chicago was so highly ranked/regarded. To me, Chicago is an economics powerhouse.

I just mean I regard(ed) the school very highly in general, like I would be very impressed if someone told me they went to Chicago. So it's surprising friends/acquaintances of Chargers, who's from the midwest, wouldn't know it's not a TTT.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:47 am

I hear people in Chicago don't know Chicago is a good school.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

proteinshake wrote:I hear people in Chicago don't know Chicago is a good school.

w0t

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

Mikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:I hear people in Chicago don't know Chicago is a good school.

w0t

This is true in my limited experience with actual Chicagoans. Northwestern is the layperson's midwestern Harvard

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:42 am

I have a test today and don't want to study.

I think I'll do very well in LS with this attitude :mrgreen:

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 am

PrezRand wrote:Had a test yesterday, one today, just finished hw and a paper, paper tomorrow, and a test thursday. Yeah, I'm not studying for my LSAT until Saturday this week. Curse me for taking classes for intellectual stimulation

Damn. That sounds crazy.

I'm on a new schedule today, finally implemented the new sleep schedule, it feels great!

oopsu812

Silver

Postby oopsu812 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

I have a 15ish page paper due in 2 days that I haven't started, and have no motivation to write. So that's how I'm currently doing.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

ngogirl12 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Had a test yesterday, one today, just finished hw and a paper, paper tomorrow, and a test thursday. Yeah, I'm not studying for my LSAT until Saturday this week. Curse me for taking classes for intellectual stimulation

Damn. That sounds crazy.

I'm on a new schedule today, finally implemented the new sleep schedule, it feels great!

rand and I must be the same person if our schedules are near exact like this lol

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

Mikey wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Damn. That sounds crazy.

rand and I must be the same person if our schedules are near exact like this lol

I woke up before noon today so that was an accomplishment

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

chargers21 wrote:.

you mind PMing me how you went about your scholly negotiation email?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

I cant believe I'm about to finish UG.

I always felt like I would never finish because of all the classes I needed, but it went by so quick and I feel like I literally started like yesterday

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:57 am

Mikey wrote:I cant believe I'm about to finish UG.

I always felt like I would never finish because of all the classes I needed, but it went by so quick and I feel like I literally started like yesterday

There's a tornado warning and it's imminent. Class is still not canceled today. I fucking hate this place

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Ugh I know things are mostly numbers driven but, damn, I do want to know what the things are at the margins that cause one student to get accepted and another with the same numbers to get waitlisted. Or one student to get $$$ and another to get zilch.

Also I have shit to do today and shouldn't be on here.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Damn. That sounds crazy.

I woke up before noon today so that was an accomplishment

You have an excuse, you're done...

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:I cant believe I'm about to finish UG.

There's a tornado warning and it's imminent. Class is still not canceled today. I fucking hate this place

Damn. I have no words. I don't even know what a tornado is like, the most we ever get is earthquakes and their never too horrible..

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Damn. That sounds crazy.

lol. I don't envy you guys one bit.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Alexandros wrote:Ugh I know things are mostly numbers driven but, damn, I do want to know what the things are at the margins that cause one student to get accepted and another with the same numbers to get waitlisted. Or one student to get $$$ and another to get zilch.

Aside from superstar softs, I think some of the most important factors are recommendations, strength of UG institution, and application time. I say this because (1) Dean Asha is on record saying recommendations can make or break your application at Yehl, (2a) looking at the big name schollies on LSN, most recipients are from the earlier in the cycle, and (2b) my cycle so far has gone about as expected re: acceptances, but a little underwhelming on the $ side of things with a January app and a StateU school.

(Take my cycle anecdata with the biggest grain of salt imaginable: I'm a nontrad applicant and have no idea what impact that has had.)

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

never realized how bad my router was. I just upgraded it today and went from getting 30 mbps wirelessly to 117 mbps (and I only pay for 100 mbps).

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Ugh I know things are mostly numbers driven but, damn, I do want to know what the things are at the margins that cause one student to get accepted and another with the same numbers to get waitlisted. Or one student to get $$$ and another to get zilch.

Aside from superstar softs, I think some of the most important factors are recommendations, strength of UG institution, and application time. I say this because (1) Dean Asha is on record saying recommendations can make or break your application at Yehl, (2a) looking at the big name schollies on LSN, most recipients are from the earlier in the cycle, and (2b) my cycle so far has gone about as expected re: acceptances, but a little underwhelming on the $ side of things with a January app and a StateU school.

(Take my cycle anecdata with the biggest grain of salt imaginable: I'm a nontrad applicant and have no idea what impact that has had.)

Thank you for the words of advice! Having done a few pseudo-statistical-analyses on LSN I'm a big believer in the value of UG institution, gap years, and early applications (might be confounding factors on some of these), and I'll take it from Asha on LoRs. Definitely going to apply early. I also think showing interest might be important at least for acceptances (for some of the schools), although I wonder how that effects schollies.

Congrats on your cycle thus far! Hope things become a bit less underwhelming on the $ side, but you've got some stellar outcomes as it is.
Last edited by Alexandros on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Skipped class and spent 3 hours writing a single email.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Tons of state school students at Duke's ASW, which was nice. There are lots of whispers on various threads about prestigious UG students getting the bigger scholarships when compared to state school number twins

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

chargers21 wrote:Tons of state school students at Duke's ASW, which was nice. There are lots of whispers on various threads about prestigious UG students getting the bigger scholarships when compared to state school number twins

So I've only done this with Hammies and a bit with Rubies but if you go through LSN for the past 4 years or so you can see there is an effect of UG preftige on $$$ - at least at the level of HYSP / 'top private' - not a huge one but it's there. (again, might be confounding factors like those applicants had better softs or LoRs or whatever). Also heard several claim really unprestigious UGs sank them.

I think I'm kind of in the middle there. Won't get any kind of UG prestige boost - can't really do anything about that - but hopefully won't be sunk because of my UG.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Tons of state school students at Duke's ASW, which was nice. There are lots of whispers on various threads about prestigious UG students getting the bigger scholarships when compared to state school number twins

So I've only done this with Hammies and a bit with Rubies but if you go through LSN for the past 4 years or so you can see there is an effect of UG preftige on $$$ - at least at the level of HYSP / 'top private' - not a huge one but it's there. (again, might be confounding factors like those applicants had better softs or LoRs or whatever). Also heard several claim really unprestigious UGs sank them.

I think I'm kind of in the middle there. Won't get any kind of UG prestige boost - can't really do anything about that - but hopefully won't be sunk because of my UG.

I think you're onto something with the confounding factors effect. The fact that you're HYPS alone might not get you the boost, but to the extent it provides you with more impressive opportunities and LoRs, it might do something. Still, between a 3.4 HYPS vs a 3.9 StateU, I think the StateU will carry the day 10 times out of 10. In terms of being "sunk" by UG, that takes a lot. I think if you're a Division I type state school, you have very little to worry about. If you're coming from some funky backwoods for profit online school, then yeah, I don't think even a 4.3 GPA will do much to save you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?