The Official September 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
44%
Yeah, kind of
18%
Ehh, hoping for the best
13%
Not prepared but screw it
7%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
18%

Total votes: 45

mmart207

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Postby mmart207 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Platopus wrote:
mmart207 wrote:How long did it take you guys to read each of the Manhattan guides? I'm hoping now until the test date is enough time to read all 3? With time for practice tests as well?

Shouldn't be a problem to get through all three, but I don't necessarily endorse trying to rush through them.

The only ones that I will probably read all the way through are the LG and RC guides. For LR, the questions I typically get wrong are assumptions and weaken/strengthen so I might just work through those chapters of the guide. I definitely don't plan on rushing through them, I just wan't to assure that I'm being realistic about thinking I can read through them in enough time before the test and still have time left to do practice tests. I was thinking maybe a week or two to finish the LG guide and the same for the RC? Or would that be rushing through?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 am

mmart207 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
mmart207 wrote:How long did it take you guys to read each of the Manhattan guides? I'm hoping now until the test date is enough time to read all 3? With time for practice tests as well?

Shouldn't be a problem to get through all three, but I don't necessarily endorse trying to rush through them.

The only ones that I will probably read all the way through are the LG and RC guides. For LR, the questions I typically get wrong are assumptions and weaken/strengthen so I might just work through those chapters of the guide. I definitely don't plan on rushing through them, I just wan't to assure that I'm being realistic about thinking I can read through them in enough time before the test and still have time left to do practice tests. I was thinking maybe a week or two to finish the LG guide and the same for the RC? Or would that be rushing through?

I would say you are in good shape then. I think LR is the most consuming. LG is quick and easy to read through and retain. And the RC book as well (its also super short)

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I would say you are in good shape then. I think LR is the most consuming. LG is quick and easy to read through and retain. And the RC book as well (its also super short)

Thank you! Amazon says they should be delivered tomorrow by the end of the day so I'm excited to finally start reading through them! Definitely gonna start with the LGs. Man is September coming fast :shock:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 am

taking new poll ideas. preferably not about the lsat, thanks :mrgreen:

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

That feeling you get when school work gets in the way of LSAT study. Only going to be able to get 2 hours of LSAT prep today and 2-3 tomorrow.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

Gluteus wrote:That feeling you get when school work gets in the way of LSAT study. Only going to be able to get 2 hours of LSAT prep today and 2-3 tomorrow.

I always had BS classes that I would only have to do minimal work for the day before, so I tended to have a ton of time for the LSAT :lol: :lol:

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am

chargers21 wrote:I pour the salt straight into the marg

I need to try this, my heart has been playing rookie ball with my saltless margs

Edit-damn auto correct

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I pour the salt straight into the marg

I need to try this, my heart has been playing rookie ball with my saltless margs

Edit-damn auto correct

Pretty savage move, but sounds like an interesting play. Yeah Barry, youre definitely missing out on the salt

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

I severely overestimated my ability to perform in the morning. I'm going to have to start getting up earlier. I tried to do some games at 9:00 this morning and couldn't even get through the section. It's crazy how much college can change your sleep habits. I remember routinely getting up at 6:00 to get to high school on time for my zero period class.

caramelizedgod

New

Postby caramelizedgod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 pm

presidentspivey wrote:I severely overestimated my ability to perform in the morning. I'm going to have to start getting up earlier. I tried to do some games at 9:00 this morning and couldn't even get through the section. It's crazy how much college can change your sleep habits. I remember routinely getting up at 6:00 to get to high school on time for my zero period class.

I think a bigger issue could be when you got up for that study sesh at 9. Ex, if you got up at 8:30 then your brain is still waking up by then.

digitality

New

Postby digitality » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

apologies if this subject is taboo, but...
how many recent PTs should i set aside in case of the worst?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:39 pm

No margaritas today since I donated blood.

digitality wrote:apologies if this subject is taboo, but...
how many recent PTs should i set aside in case of the worst?

I'm going to pull a number out of my hat and say 5.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Anybody else recently get whacked by the bus game on 36? Good golly

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Anybody else recently get whacked by the bus game on 36? Good golly

that game isn't that bad if you take a bit of time up front and connect the rules (:

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Can anyone recommend a resource to tackle conditional heavy games? Like a foundational lesson or something?

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Platopus wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Can anyone recommend a resource to tackle conditional heavy games? Like a foundational lesson or something?

7 sage works well for grouping games, which is what I'm assuming you're actually talking about. If not, 7 sage is still a solid resource for conditional logic practice.

yup, meant grouping games! I'm usually at more of a loss with conditional heavy grouping games - do I make multiple game boards or do I go by question or do I pray a lot and hope for the best - ya know, my methods for tackling these questions

Sidenote: why aren't there more emojis on this forum!

HesusChrist

New

Postby HesusChrist » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Checking in. Nothing spectacular to report. PT scores have been hovering around 173-175 on the contemporary tests. Probably going to hit a PT from the 50s tomorrow.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Can anyone recommend a resource to tackle conditional heavy games? Like a foundational lesson or something?

7 sage works well for grouping games, which is what I'm assuming you're actually talking about. If not, 7 sage is still a solid resource for conditional logic practice.

yup, meant grouping games! I'm usually at more of a loss with conditional heavy grouping games - do I make multiple game boards or do I go by question or do I pray a lot and hope for the best - ya know, my methods for tackling these questions

I've been drilling Grouping games via 7Sage videos by the way of the 7sage foolproof method. Best way to improve on games for sure!

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:34 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I've had the same issue. I honestly think it's usually a toss up as to whether or not making game boards is worth it, but generally, if it's heavy on conditional reasoning and there aren't any rules confining certain variables to certain spots, I'd just brute force it. For example, the CD's game is really useless to try to split IIRC because there's nothing confining any CD's to any particular group.

As a general principle, it seems like linear games lend themselves to splitting the board more than grouping games. None of this is a full answer to your question, but I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule. Regardless, when in LG doubt, 7sage.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks friends!!! I've been getting super frustrated with grouping games that seem to have tons of conditional rules. I did a bunch right now and I felt way better about them. Still have work work work work work but slowly but surely!

anannnndddd apologies for sounding like an idiot - my boss had me work on some nonsense project today that included pages and pages of testimony so my brain's a bit dead *crying emoji since the forum doesnt have one*

reedm

New

Postby reedm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 am

Never posted in here, but I just scored 156 timed PT, 170 BR........ not really sure what to think of that so hoping to get some encouragement/advice. I've been scoring around 161ish timed and 165-167 BR on my last 2 PTs. I have not scored as low as a 156 since March maybe Feb. My last PT was maybe about 2 weeks ago. My timing/focus was definitely off with this PT but I'm struggling so much on how to get the timing down in general. Anyone have a habit/skill that helped them improve?

I'm finishing LG on time (my best section, -2 on PT and -0 BR), I'm left with about 2-3 unanswered per LR section and today barely even got to the last RC passage... I have never done this bad on a RC section. Even my diagnostic.

LG: -2, -0 BR
LR1: -8, -1 BR
LR2: -8, -5 BR
RC: -13 (WTF), -4 BR
pretty stark contrast

edit: i'm aiming for 163+

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:45 am

reedm wrote:Never posted in here, but I just scored 156 timed PT, 170 BR........ not really sure what to think of that so hoping to get some encouragement/advice. I've been scoring around 161ish timed and 165-167 BR on my last 2 PTs. I have not scored as low as a 156 since March maybe Feb. My last PT was maybe about 2 weeks ago. My timing/focus was definitely off with this PT but I'm struggling so much on how to get the timing down in general. Anyone have a habit/skill that helped them improve?

I'm finishing LG on time (my best section, -2 on PT and -0 BR), I'm left with about 2-3 unanswered per LR section and today barely even got to the last RC passage... I have never done this bad on a RC section. Even my diagnostic.

LG: -2, -0 BR
LR1: -8, -1 BR
LR2: -8, -5 BR
RC: -13 (WTF), -4 BR
pretty stark contrast

edit: i'm aiming for 163+

Don't get discouraged from one bad PT. Seems as if you just had a rough day and didnt perform at or above par. Shrug it off and keep pummeling forward. As far as timing, just drilling more and more and doing PTs is really the only way to do it. Just keep at it and the more practice you get, the more effective with answering questions you'll become and thus, ultimately finishing all sections on time.

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:46 am

I think for LSAT materials I will use:
- PTs 70-80 for practice tests and blind review
- PTs 50-60 for timed sections and review
- Cambridge 2-38 for drilling

Beginning to realise that by the time I take the test I will have done all the LGs from at least 58/80 of the PTs and just about every notable game (in terms of difficultly or peculiarity). Hopefully this makes it such that my probability of being surprised on the LG section on test day is quite low.

Today and tomorrow off. Aiming for 8 hours per day on LG.

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?